Welcome to Gaia! ::

yes and i will give he a garlic plushie then vanish
Joseph Severn
The primary reason I'm interested in Battle is because I hope and pray it will be a role-playing game, and I'm interested in playing a role.

A fairly heroic one, and heroics- as well as the healer's art and oath- require one to help those in need. Besides which, it's the Right Thing To Do.

In addition- who's more memorable, more legendary?
Killatron x-1000, the man with the titanium heart, murderer of a million fluffs?
Or Galadrel, Knight of The Orchid, protector of the weak and healer of hearts and bodies both?

I submit that the latter has the greater claim to fame. You won't remember who killed that fluff, but you will remember who saved your life/bacon.

Very good point, but I think you'd also remember the guy who stood there laughing at you while you got killed. Not in a positive light, but infamy is just as good as popularity if you ask me.

Doting Darling

The Right Honorable MG

Very good point, but I think you'd also remember the guy who stood there laughing at you while you got killed. Not in a positive light, but infamy is just as good as popularity if you ask me.

Infamy is lazy fame; more easily accomplished, more easily maintained.

If I want to be famous, I'll have to work at it. I'll have to scrape, and take care, and keep my heart and soul pure to be a Hero in anyone's eyes. And to me, that makes the role of Hero infinitely more valuable than that of villain- infamy requires only inaction, or heedless action.

Killing is simple. Saving is difficult.
Sure I'll help. mrgreen

Beloved Sex Symbol

9,000 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Tycoon 200
Well... Nooblets mistake kindness for another human being with wanting to be their friend.

So no, if it was someone in starter clothes I'd just sit back and laugh at their cries for help.

I know if I helped them they'd be like, "Wow, you saved me. I'm adding you to my friends list to show my appreciation! Do you have any spares of that arctic blast ring you used to save me? That was so kick a**!"

First off get rid of all punctuation, spelling, big words, and put caps lock on for flavor.

They think that adding you to their friends list is like a big thing to you which it isn't, I don't add people who are mildly nice or just to get a bigger number of them. This isn't myspace kid, I add only good friends and associates.

thirdly, even without assuming you want to be their friend noobs will be out asking every person they see, "Spare rings 4 poor hobo plx?" Like I'm so loaded that I don't care about a ring that I probably quested my a** off for or got as a rare drop and so totally wouldn't think of selling it on the marketplace because I don't need more gold. As soon as you add in the friend factor you've got a leech that won't go away without liberal application of flame.

Beloved Sex Symbol

9,000 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Tycoon 200
Addendum to first post:

On the opposite hand though there is the person who looks like a legitimate gaian.

explanation of legit gaian: Someone who's realized that gaia isn't about begging for more gold it's about talking and having fun with friends and discussing topics on the forum. They see their avatar's clothing not as the main focus but as a fun thing to do in their spare time with the gold that they've been accumulating from posting.

A more advanced version of this is the successful gaian who has found success in marketplace lurking and/or selling art, goods, or services of some kind. They have a more flashy avatar that shows the extent of their wealth and see it as a status symbol.

With my classifications now clear here is what I'd do in the situation: They are in a mess while having fun or trying to find a ring or complete a quest, just as I might be at any point. Swooping into action I blast away enough enemies to help him take down the mob without dying. Thankful we exchange hey's and if he was impressed with a ring I used or I saw him use one that I myself am interested in we'd chat about it then talk about current quests and if we're on the same one we may join up in a team and if not we go our separate ways and maybe meet up again some day and talk about that day and laugh about how he got into that mess.

All in all it's just another social situation to be had and not really particularly an inconvenience but rather a pleasant experience that may just make me smile before I go to bed that night.

Gen~

(ya Q I has a signature at the end of posts too oooooooh)
I probally wouldn't save someone if they were getting their butt kicked. I don't need to waste my time saving them, and I doubt they are going to give me a tip for it! And if I was being attacked by a monster, I would never ask for someones help! I'm capable of fending for myself.
Joseph Severn
The primary reason I'm interested in Battle is because I hope and pray it will be a role-playing game, and I'm interested in playing a role.

A fairly heroic one, and heroics- as well as the healer's art and oath- require one to help those in need. Besides which, it's the Right Thing To Do.

Killatron x-1000, the man with the titanium heart, murderer of a million fluffs?
Or Galadrel, Knight of The Orchid, protector of the weak and healer of hearts and bodies both?

I submit that the latter has the greater claim to fame. You won't remember who killed that fluff, but you will remember who saved your life/bacon.

One itsy bitsy flaw with your ideal there.

Go onto the streets ask someone who Adolf Hitler is. They'll tell you he was a dictator of Germany who brought about the deaths of millions.

Now, ask them who Thomas Francis Jr. is. Some will tell you that he was the man who first created a vaccine for the ptentially letha; infuenze virus, but, by and large, you'll get a heaping helping of blank faces.

My point here is that, those who bring pain and suffering, have always left a bigger impact than those who alleviated it. The meteor is famous, the people who fill in the crater are not.

Beloved Sex Symbol

9,000 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Tycoon 200
Seth-Moore
Joseph Severn

One itsy bitsy flaw with your ideal there.

Go onto the streets ask someone who Adolf Hitler is. They'll tell you he was a dictator of Germany who brought about the deaths of millions.

Now, ask them who Thomas Francis Jr. is. Some will tell you that he was the man who first created a vaccine for the ptentially letha; infuenze virus, but, by and large, you'll get a heaping helping of blank faces.

My point here is that, those who bring pain and suffering, have always left a bigger impact than those who alleviated it. The meteor is famous, the people who fill in the crater are not.

Remember kids, Bad news is Big news.
Noobs dont count as real people do they?
I dont know I guess if the avi looked cool...
then I would I would ask it for donations to its hero Lol
Id probably help them, although if they were screaming for help in l33t or anything with little to no punctuation...Id be a little disinclined to aid them.

And yes the bad people always get the attention first because going to the dark side is the easy route, taking the good side may take you longer to get everything you want but in the long run you'll have your fame and your goods. smile wink
[Kibibble]

id probibly help them out, at least kill the monsters. and if there were cool, 'n' literate id help them ot after killing the monsters.

[Kaboble]

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
I'd still like to protect the weak people... but if they try to add me, I'll decline and run off before they can ask me for anything. :XP:

I mean, come on, just because they're new doesn't mean they don't deserve to be saved. Though they SHOULD still learn how difficult it is.

But not to the extent of suffering for it.

(Too badly.)
Hell no.
If you're stupid enough to get into a tight spot, you should at least be prepared and not rely on some other player to do everything for you.
heart heart heart

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces