• Risky Lifestyle 100
NaughtyStudent

Nice story, but it doesn't fit the current prompt. sweatdrop
Lea Fealith
NaughtyStudent

Lea Fealith
piggg
I know this isn't what you were looking for, but I like the prompt.

That was a great story, and it doesn't matter if you don't fit the prompt to a T. The main point is just to write something.

crying crying crying crying

Deleted my post....

Amateur Capitalist

17,050 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
NaughtyStudent
Lea Fealith
NaughtyStudent

Lea Fealith
piggg
I know this isn't what you were looking for, but I like the prompt.

That was a great story, and it doesn't matter if you don't fit the prompt to a T. The main point is just to write something.

crying crying crying crying

Deleted my post....

It doesn't have to fit the prompt perfectly, but it has to still be within the spirit of the prompt. If the prompt is about exploring the immediate surroundings of a location the entry has to address that. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
Hmm...This looks fun. I'm going to attempt to do it. Not the February challenge, but like the actual one. (I have no life as of late lol) Hopefully I'll have it done sometime in the not too distant future, and I'll post it when it's all done, so I don't spam the thread lol.
Are you still giving out the prize to people who finish it? I'm going to attempt it either way, I'm just wondering.

Amateur Capitalist

17,050 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Mandaleigh96
Hmm...This looks fun. I'm going to attempt to do it. Not the February challenge, but like the actual one. (I have no life as of late lol) Hopefully I'll have it done sometime in the not too distant future, and I'll post it when it's all done, so I don't spam the thread lol.
Are you still giving out the prize to people who finish it? I'm going to attempt it either way, I'm just wondering.

Yes, I still give out the prize to anyone who finishes. If you want to participate officially I ask that you tell me when you have each subsection done, so I don't have to go over the whole project all at once.
Lea Fealith
Mandaleigh96

Yes, I still give out the prize to anyone who finishes. If you want to participate officially I ask that you tell me when you have each subsection done, so I don't have to go over the whole project all at once.

Oh, okay. I'm almost done with the first section. I'll post it later today, or tomorrow at the latest smile
Okiedokie, this is the first section smile

1.1 Scientifically speaking, something similar to the big bang happened, and the universe came into existence. According to legend, though, the Mother Goddess had a baby, and named it Serenity. Serenity was once a young child, but after a tragic accident where a star when supernova, she was fossilized as a rocky orb. It is said that after that, the Goddess wept for 30 days and 30 nights, holding this orb in the palm of her hand. When she finally ceased sobbing, she saw this orb was full of water, and that it was turning green. New life was growing, and Serenity was alive. Since then, the Goddess has continued to nurture her and help her grow.

1.2 The world, Serenity, is about one fourth the size of Earth. It is a planet where the phrase “It’s a small world” actually applies.

1.3 A. The Priests: Male and female, these people spend their entire lives in worship and service of the Goddess. They are known distinctly for their height. Some speculate that their excessive height makes them closer to the heavens. They are usually at least 7 feet tall. They also happen to live on the top of the world’s only mountain, and wear a lot of warm clothes and fur.
B. The Fishers: Living on an island off the world’s mainland (Think Pangea) these people eat nothing but fish, and are known for their tan skin and especially pleasing facial features. They often wear very little clothing.
C. The Miners: These pale people live at the base of the mountain, and work in the mines there. They are known for their short stature and muscular build, as well as their generally unpleasant features. Often, their nose resembles a potato. They have brown eyes and are often near-sighted.
D. The Tree-Dwellers: These people live in the forest surrounding the mountain. They are skilled with bows and arrows, and live in tree houses. They are thin and agile, and often around 5’5”.
E. The Sand Tribe: A small tribe living in the desert area outside the forest, these people are very similar to the Fishers, but often wear a lot of light-weight clothing to shield themselves from the harsh sun. They also don’t eat fish. Purely vegetarian, these people survive on the few plants that grow in the desert. They are the scrawniest of the races, and often their ribs are visible beneath their clothing.

1.4 A. The Mountain. Cold and often the only snowy place on the planet, the only life forms that survive here are extremely resilient or spend most of their lives in hibernation. At the very top of the mountain sits the Mother’s Temple. The Priests live here, and many expectant mothers and their mates make the journey here to pray for a healthy child and easy birth. Some even stay at the temple until their child is born.
B. The Island. This tropical place is located Southwest of the mainland. It is warmer there, and the Fishers, who live there, live in huts without much insolation. It is a small island, the entire thing is only about 5 square miles. It is sandy and a popular vacation spot for those fortunate enough to travel.
C. The Mines. Located at the base of the mountain, these mines contain many of the world’s resources, including diamond, one of the most common substances on Serenity, and perhaps the most vital. Diamond is used to power basically everything, because it was discovered that it was much cleaner than any other fuel source. Around the entrance to the mine, there is a large village, made mostly of stone from the mine. In this village live the Miners.
D. The Forest. The forest is lush and green, except in times of fall or winter, but always teeming with life. It provides a great food source, both of edible plants and of animals, for the Tree-Dwellers.
E. The Desert. Home to the Sand Tribe, this large valley almost never gets rain. It is unknown exactly why it rarely rains here, but most people believe that the lack of rain has helped the desert to develop it’s own, characteristic beauty.

1.5 For this section, I’ll pick the Priests, mostly because they’re the most philosophical of the groups. Generally, their purpose is just to be devout servants of the Goddess. They pray daily. In fact, their day is basically all about praying. Their lives would be easy, were in not for this constant praying and the occasional delivery. The Goddess has never demanded or requested such worship, but they feel she deserves it, and so they pray. They feel they “fit into the grand scheme of things” as the main channel between the citizens of Serenity and the Goddess herself.

1.6 I don't currently have access to a scanner, so I'm going to have to take a picture of the map. As soon as I find my camera, I'll edit this post and include it. Sorry for the delay.

1.7 Serenity is a small world, where all the civilizations know of and visit each other, and get along. Serenity is inhabited by peaceful people, people who have advanced technologies and yet have very little corruption. Moreover, Serenity features an incredibly diverse range of environments and civilizations, in a relatively small area.

Amateur Capitalist

17,050 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Mandaleigh96
Okiedokie, this is the first section smile

1.1 Scientifically speaking, something similar to the big bang happened, and the universe came into existence. According to legend, though, the Mother Goddess had a baby, and named it Serenity. Serenity was once a young child, but after a tragic accident where a star when supernova, she was fossilized as a rocky orb. It is said that after that, the Goddess wept for 30 days and 30 nights, holding this orb in the palm of her hand. When she finally ceased sobbing, she saw this orb was full of water, and that it was turning green. New life was growing, and Serenity was alive. Since then, the Goddess has continued to nurture her and help her grow.

1.2 The world, Serenity, is about one fourth the size of Earth. It is a planet where the phrase “It’s a small world” actually applies.

1.3 A. The Priests: Male and female, these people spend their entire lives in worship and service of the Goddess. They are known distinctly for their height. Some speculate that their excessive height makes them closer to the heavens. They are usually at least 7 feet tall. They also happen to live on the top of the world’s only mountain, and wear a lot of warm clothes and fur.
B. The Fishers: Living on an island off the world’s mainland (Think Pangea) these people eat nothing but fish, and are known for their tan skin and especially pleasing facial features. They often wear very little clothing.
C. The Miners: These pale people live at the base of the mountain, and work in the mines there. They are known for their short stature and muscular build, as well as their generally unpleasant features. Often, their nose resembles a potato. They have brown eyes and are often near-sighted.
D. The Tree-Dwellers: These people live in the forest surrounding the mountain. They are skilled with bows and arrows, and live in tree houses. They are thin and agile, and often around 5’5”.
E. The Sand Tribe: A small tribe living in the desert area outside the forest, these people are very similar to the Fishers, but often wear a lot of light-weight clothing to shield themselves from the harsh sun. They also don’t eat fish. Purely vegetarian, these people survive on the few plants that grow in the desert. They are the scrawniest of the races, and often their ribs are visible beneath their clothing.

1.4 A. The Mountain. Cold and often the only snowy place on the planet, the only life forms that survive here are extremely resilient or spend most of their lives in hibernation. At the very top of the mountain sits the Mother’s Temple. The Priests live here, and many expectant mothers and their mates make the journey here to pray for a healthy child and easy birth. Some even stay at the temple until their child is born.
B. The Island. This tropical place is located Southwest of the mainland. It is warmer there, and the Fishers, who live there, live in huts without much insolation. It is a small island, the entire thing is only about 5 square miles. It is sandy and a popular vacation spot for those fortunate enough to travel.
C. The Mines. Located at the base of the mountain, these mines contain many of the world’s resources, including diamond, one of the most common substances on Serenity, and perhaps the most vital. Diamond is used to power basically everything, because it was discovered that it was much cleaner than any other fuel source. Around the entrance to the mine, there is a large village, made mostly of stone from the mine. In this village live the Miners.
D. The Forest. The forest is lush and green, except in times of fall or winter, but always teeming with life. It provides a great food source, both of edible plants and of animals, for the Tree-Dwellers.
E. The Desert. Home to the Sand Tribe, this large valley almost never gets rain. It is unknown exactly why it rarely rains here, but most people believe that the lack of rain has helped the desert to develop it’s own, characteristic beauty.

1.5 For this section, I’ll pick the Priests, mostly because they’re the most philosophical of the groups. Generally, their purpose is just to be devout servants of the Goddess. They pray daily. In fact, their day is basically all about praying. Their lives would be easy, were in not for this constant praying and the occasional delivery. The Goddess has never demanded or requested such worship, but they feel she deserves it, and so they pray. They feel they “fit into the grand scheme of things” as the main channel between the citizens of Serenity and the Goddess herself.

1.6 I don't currently have access to a scanner, so I'm going to have to take a picture of the map. As soon as I find my camera, I'll edit this post and include it. Sorry for the delay.

1.7 Serenity is a small world, where all the civilizations know of and visit each other, and get along. Serenity is inhabited by peaceful people, people who have advanced technologies and yet have very little corruption. Moreover, Serenity features an incredibly diverse range of environments and civilizations, in a relatively small area.

Very nice. I like your take on the races. It seems like you're making the tropes of elf/dwarf fit in with your world, which is great.

If you'd like to be listed up as an official participant make sure you double check the rules. There needs to be a separate thread you make with all your prompts so I can keep track of what you have and haven't finished, and 50% of the prompts need to be at least 200 words long (picture prompts count as complete as long as there's a picture.)

If you want to participate unofficially you're welcome to keep posting here, though, and I'll be happy to give feedback.
Lea Fealith

Very nice. I like your take on the races. It seems like you're making the tropes of elf/dwarf fit in with your world, which is great.

If you'd like to be listed up as an official participant make sure you double check the rules. There needs to be a separate thread you make with all your prompts so I can keep track of what you have and haven't finished, and 50% of the prompts need to be at least 200 words long (picture prompts count as complete as long as there's a picture.)

If you want to participate unofficially you're welcome to keep posting here, though, and I'll be happy to give feedback.

I'm sorry. To be honest, I kinda just skimmed the rules cause I was in a rush to get started. sweatdrop
I'll make the thread now. By the way, when you say 50 percent of the prompts, do you mean each individual one, like 1.1 and 1.2 and 1.3, or do you mean like each section, like all the 1s or all the 2.1s? Cause if you mean like each individual one, I'll re-write what I have so far and I'll make the other ones a little longer lol

EDIT: Nevermind, after I read the rules I know the answer. Just ignore that question. I'm a little ditzy sometimes. Sorry redface

Amateur Capitalist

17,050 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Mandaleigh96
Lea Fealith

I'm sorry. To be honest, I kinda just skimmed the rules cause I was in a rush to get started. sweatdrop
I'll make the thread now. By the way, when you say 50 percent of the prompts, do you mean each individual one, like 1.1 and 1.2 and 1.3, or do you mean like each section, like all the 1s or all the 2.1s? Cause if you mean like each individual one, I'll re-write what I have so far and I'll make the other ones a little longer lol

EDIT: Nevermind, after I read the rules I know the answer. Just ignore that question. I'm a little ditzy sometimes. Sorry redface
No worries. I know what enthusiasm can do to the brain. sweatdrop

Amateur Capitalist

17,050 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Another month, another mini challenge! But before I get to that, there's an important announcement for all participants!

There is going to be a March sprint challenge! The person who fills the most prompts during the month of March will win 200k, but there are two catches.

Catch one: I will be participating in this challenge. If I happen to be the person who fills the most prompts in March, that 200k stays with me.

Catch two: In order for the prompt to qualify it must be at least 200 words or an image prompt. Even though sections only need to have 50% of prompts at 200+ words, anything less will not count for this sprint challenge. Prompts that don't require 200 words ("How many hours in your day?) don't count for the sprint.

If you've been considering filling more prompts and have been putting it off, now is a good time to knock a few out, but I won't make it easy for you!

Now for the mini challenge of the month:

March Challenge: Gifts

Sometimes giving things to people carries a lot of meaning. Think the horse head in The Godfather, the "donations" politicians receive from people who expect favors in return, and the practice of giving away daughters to solidify political relationships between rulers. In what ways is "gift" giving more than it seems in your world? Is there are type of giving that is culturally standard? Are there particular moments of gift giving that were unique for what those gifts represented?

Tell me about the messages behind gifts in 200 words or more and I'll give you 5k. Completing this challenge may also fulfill the requirements for prompt 2.3.9 depending on how it is addressed.

Dapper Dabbler

I thought about joining this challenge a year ago, never did, but now I'm considering again and I've got a question about what would be acceptable for a "fantasyland" world.

The world in which I set my stories is not a world of its own, but a whole underground "planet" beneath an alternate-reality Earth's surface. Its inhabitants are basically inhuman fairytale-ish races who were banished from the surface by humans after a worldwide war centuries beforehand, but these inhabitants do still interact with humans (through a kind of strict travel visa type system) and their cultures are still largely influenced by humans. This is all set in a more technologically advanced world, though, both above and under, so things would be quite different.

I was just wondering if such a world would count, because it isn't its own fantasyland and is based on our existing planet. Prompts such as the "draw a map" one wouldn't apply unless I could use it to map out one underground city or something. So yeah, just wondering.

Revered Nerd

I love the idea of the sprint challenge! It sucks that it came right when work picked up and I took on another week-sprint challenge, but I will definitely find a way to get this done as well.

Although that mini challenge, that, I should have done sometime today or tomorrow.

Amateur Capitalist

17,050 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Rose Demon Axel
I thought about joining this challenge a year ago, never did, but now I'm considering again and I've got a question about what would be acceptable for a "fantasyland" world.

The world in which I set my stories is not a world of its own, but a whole underground "planet" beneath an alternate-reality Earth's surface. Its inhabitants are basically inhuman fairytale-ish races who were banished from the surface by humans after a worldwide war centuries beforehand, but these inhabitants do still interact with humans (through a kind of strict travel visa type system) and their cultures are still largely influenced by humans. This is all set in a more technologically advanced world, though, both above and under, so things would be quite different.

I was just wondering if such a world would count, because it isn't its own fantasyland and is based on our existing planet. Prompts such as the "draw a map" one wouldn't apply unless I could use it to map out one underground city or something. So yeah, just wondering.

The only thing that determines whether or not a world qualifies is if it can fill in the prompts without using too many answers that would just be standard for Earth. With creativity, an alternate Earth could still count. The basic geography would be the same, but you could indeed draw a map of the underground instead of just the surface continents, and the political lines could be based on the fairytale societies instead of the normal human ones, etc...

I think it would be possible. It depend on what you have in mind.

whimsicaldreamer

Aw, shame it's not the best timing. We'll see how many people take advantage of the challenge. If not many do there still may be a chance.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff