Welcome to Gaia! ::

*cuddles thread*

[+1] 1 100.0% [ 78 ]
Total Votes:[ 78 ]

Revered Nerd

So I really really didn't think this counting all the steps in the arena thing. I've seen numbers for the Colosseum holding between 50k and just over 80k.

Counting out each one. Yeah, that would take more than a day. I mean writing 50k is usually not done in a day.

My punishment from hell that I wasn't certain was hellish enough just became a lot more hellish.

Dedcadent Pants

Whimsi - Huhwhat? Arena?

Ah, giant temper tantrums. That does remind me, though, it's been a while since I wrote someone who just doesn't care what others think. Last time was...over a year ago now? They're definitely a lot of fun.

Revered Nerd

Lia: I love watching the history channel and when I was working on the BAFC I was watching it so I stuck in a Colosseum knock-off called the arena in my Stone Lands, and well, at some point I also came up with a punishment called "walking the steps" which basically means you walk around and count how many seats there are. If you misscount, lose count, or do not come back with the other correct answer (because there is a hidden test of meaning in there) you get to do it all over again.

How long does it take to count to 50,000? Walk that many steps? (10,000 steps in a day is considered something for an active lifestyle with people who wear pedometers.) So yeah. I am thinking this thing just became a lot more intimidating for the people to have to do now that I've actually thought about how long it would take to do.

Edit: And the math has been done.

Counting is going to be the time consuming factor. 39 hours for 50,000. So two days because after that much time awake, yeah, you're so not going to be firing on all cylinders.

(Walking that many steps, it could be done in something like seven or eight hours depending on how fast you walk. So It is not a factor.)

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
re: nodding

Oh, I am so guilty of the bobble heads too. That's a terrible habit I'm consciously working on. That and shrugging I have happen far too much.

Revered Nerd

Ter: I feel like I need to buy a bobble head and stick it on my window sill to remind myself how much my characters nod.

Luckily mine don't shrug all that much. They do run their hands through their hair though, and over their face, and then one over his facial hair. They also smile way too much.

I swear if you were to go "that scene where blah blah smiles, nods, and then runs their hand through their hair" I'd find like six instances.

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
I really just need to run a search-and-destroy on the word 'nodded' and the word 'shrugged' ... thankfully, a bit easier to search for those.

At least I'm over an ellipsis in every other sentence for dramatic effect.

One of these days I'm going to call an RET for worst piece of writing everyone here is willing to own up to. It will be appropriate to submit stuff from a decade or more ago. Just because I think it would be deeply entertaining.

Revered Nerd

Ter: That would be a good idea. Just go into the search function and see if the instance of the word is needed. Should cut down on it enough the others can stay.

I feel like I would not be able to choose just one.
Although choosing one that I have also rewritten so it is better might be easier, only because I would then have to find one that you can actually tell is the same chunk of story.

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Whim -- The first book from the Twilight Circle series that I started working on at sixteen would be my candidate of choice. It's easily the worst project I ever finished, as it is my first completed novel. Somewhere towards the end, I think, where those ellipsis start reproducing and just taking over half the pages.

I did zero research and set half the story in colonial Connecticut. One of these days I will fix this story. It will be the good kind of pain, I keep telling myself.

*edit* In my defense, I would like to point out that I started that series in the 90's, long before Twilight came out. The name similarity is why I'll never use that title, even if I do seek publication for the series.

Revered Nerd

Ter: I think the worst piece I ever wrote was the first story I attempted. Luckily I ended up tossing it into the recycle bin (so there are no chances of that abominating coming back to me) because my older sister and brother got me to stay up late and watch Naruto with them, and the show ended up following what happened in my story and my younger sister made fun of it telling me I was copying the show.
The writing was horrible though and none of it made any sense. (Although I still want to go back and rewrite something with the basic idea of Caldera Child because I really do like the idea of having the spirit of a volcano trapped inside a kid. Just this time it would be the surrounding villages live in fear of angering the child and treating it as a god instead of doing things that would release evil volcano spirit.)

High-functioning Noob

I can second the nodding issue.I try to use phrases like 'bowed' or 'dipped their head' instead if i can make it work.

oh and hay guise. Im still doped up from a muscle relaxer i had to take last night for my headache. Praying it doesnt come back but i think it already is. >.> There are places i should go today but i may not if i cant feel better.

I also went through an ellipses phase when i wrote my first fanfic and i desperately need to revise it. I try as hard as i can to make those legendary pokemon in my writing now. Unfortunately i dont have anything ive written from when i was younger because my comp has craahed so much since then, but im sure i could find something pretty terrible that ive written from this year.

Shadowy Senshi

Good day thread!

I've been lurking about for a while as I ate food and watched the new Sailor Moon episode. Then I had to run some errands. But now with bleach acquired I'm ready to spend the rest of the day dying my hair and writing up my feedback for tomorrow's writers meetup :]

How's everyone else doing? Looks like there is some progress happening in here today!

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
I think the hardest part of that first story is that I still like it. The plot is usable, if in need of tweaks, and I continued using those characters and that world for over a decade. I want to write it and write it well. Which means I can't get rid of it. It starts off with an underground war between vampires and humans set in modern times, and I really like the protagonists ... and the likely reader confusion in trying to decide which side is in the right. The war ends at the end of the book with a truce between the two sides, and I like that a lot. Though in the following books I really need to work on the consequences for one of the leaders realizing that he's been fighting on the wrong side for so much of the war, and the realization that he's responsible for an awful lot of deaths on his own side that never should have happened.

I have an old, old hardcover version of the earliest form of it too. An ex-boyfriend had it made for me as a gift. Much as I want to burn it and get rid of it, my husband suggested that it'd be much more fitting to do that after I have a suitable replacement version of it. Thus, re-write it, then get rid of the old version. I think that's a much better plan ... as it gives me really good motivation to actually go off and fix it.

After Soliloquy and the two-book prequel to the series is done, I think that's my next project.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Mors: Did Sailor Moon Crystal update today?

Shadowy Senshi

@Ivre - Yep, every second Saturday.

BlueJay Adler's Fangirl

Trash Otaku

/swings in like Tarzan/
emotion_c8

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers