Coronavirus brought it back...

Poll Pimps = TEH SEX 0.31914893617021 31.9% [ 30 ]
GGW XI Playoffs 0.085106382978723 8.5% [ 8 ]
Due AUGUST 15 0.12765957446809 12.8% [ 12 ]
PROMPT ROUND 0.17021276595745 17.0% [ 16 ]
Woot panda! 0.29787234042553 29.8% [ 28 ]
Total Votes:[ 94 ]

Aphrodite f l y t r a p
Skiing was fun ! I went to Jay Peak in Vermont because a friend got a good deal on a couple rooms at the resort. It is ******** huge. Also, there's a water park in the hotel.

Also, Wing, I want to know what you think of these line breaks in comparison -- this is what I would consider my 'natural' style with them.

These days remind me
of wet paw-prints
trotting across the dog park sidewalks
like excited road maps.

They circle a stretch of faded pavement,
leading me to an old oak resembling brothers
who were almost twins,
halved by lightning decades ago and growing apart ever since.

Their shared roots tangle
in complex knots
like unused leashes
stored in a forgotten closet.

What were the changes between the two? I'm working 7 days a week to make an impossible deadline, so I don't have the time/patience/brainpower to go hunting it down again.
Wing McCallister

What were the changes between the two? I'm working 7 days a week to make an impossible deadline, so I don't have the time/patience/brainpower to go hunting it down again.

Yuck. I know how you feel; that was me for the two weeks before my ski trip.
I'll put them both here:

Original:

These days remind me of wet paw-prints
trotting across the dog park
sidewalks like excited road maps.

They circle a stretch
of faded pavement,
leading me to an old oak
resembling brothers who were almost twins,
halved by lightning decades ago
and growing apart ever since.

Their shared roots
tangle in complex knots
like unused leashes

New:

These days remind me
of wet paw-prints
like excited road maps.

who were almost twins,

in complex knots
like unused leashes

-

If anyone else has suggestions on this, too, I'd appreciate it. I'm working harder at improving now that I have a little bit of time.
Aphrodite f l y t r a p
Wing McCallister

Yuck. I know how you feel; that was me for the two weeks before my ski trip.
I'll put them both here:

Original:

trotting across the dog park
sidewalks like excited road maps.

They circle a stretch
of faded pavement,
leading me to an old oak
resembling brothers who were almost twins,
halved by lightning decades ago
and growing apart ever since.

Their shared roots
tangle in complex knots
like unused leashes

New:

These days remind me
of wet paw-prints
like excited road maps.

who were almost twins,

in complex knots
like unused leashes

-

If anyone else has suggestions on this, too, I'd appreciate it. I'm working harder at improving now that I have a little bit of time.
The first two lines of the new version bother me even more. I don't see the point in having 'of wet paw-prints' by itself. Combo perhaps:

like excited road maps.

I like the first two lines of the 2nd stanza more now.
Thanks! I was tabbing between the two. My intention with that line break was simply pacing, but I can see its pointlessness.

Thanks again for your feedback. mrgreen
razz Glad to help. smile

7,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
I'm actually almost looking forward to getting stuck on an overnight [it'd be an easy shift, i could get paperwork done, and i wouldn't have to work tomorrow - aka lousy - night.] sweatdrop
lol Silly TLM. razz

9,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Wing McCallister

I'm very late with this, but I'm curious to hear your idea behind the big bang! Doubly so, with the mention of time. I had been told that 'time' actually didn't exist in physics because it was a unit of measurement/perception, and not an actual existing force on its own (the way gravity, sound, so on are). Hence why time 'ceases' to move in the center of a black hole -- there is no way to percieve it. It also throws a kink in the whole going back in time thing, haha.

But I mean, that's probably just one theory, and I'm sure people thought that light/sound/gravity were things that didn't really exist unto themselves as well. That something can affect time (gravity, I think it is?) certainly points to its objective existence.

7,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
No luck. Three hours late, but I'm home. Drats.
Rotsab M. Hyolf
Wing McCallister

I'm very late with this, but I'm curious to hear your idea behind the big bang! Doubly so, with the mention of time. I had been told that 'time' actually didn't exist in physics because it was a unit of measurement/perception, and not an actual existing force on its own (the way gravity, sound, so on are). Hence why time 'ceases' to move in the center of a black hole -- there is no way to percieve it. It also throws a kink in the whole going back in time thing, haha.

But I mean, that's probably just one theory, and I'm sure people thought that light/sound/gravity were things that didn't really exist unto themselves as well. That something can affect time (gravity, I think it is?) certainly points to its objective existence.
Time absolutely exists in physics... I don't know who told you that, but that person deserves a swift kick in the a**. The time travel thing gets the kink thrown in it because we really don't get what time is -- at least not in the same sense that we get space. When people ask me, "How do you time travel?" I respond, "Well, when you can tell me what time is, then I'll try to travel through it."

Now, the big bang thing is extremely hand wavy, and by hand wavy I mean problematic and bogus for several reasons. However, those reasons can somewhat be ironed out. Nonetheless, it leads to an interesting exercise in quantum mechanics.

People get their panties in a wad when it comes to extra dimensions of space. Theorists love them because they create magic. For example: why are the weak nuclear force and gravity so ******** weak compared to the strong and electromagnetic forces? Well, gee Pa, it's because the weak and gravitational forces extend into multiple dimensions of space. My statement here is why don't we consider multiple dimensions of time?

There really is no reason not to -- aside of course from the obvious fact that we'd have no concrete way to observe it. This is the first point that makes the whole construct somewhat bogus. If you can't observe it, then what could does it do? However, it leads to some cool s**t.

Consider a 1D box in which a there is an equal probability for a particle to exist at a point x. I liken this to the result of a Higgs field coupling to generate an observable mass. There isn't really justification to prefer one region of space over another. Thus, in a finite space, I declare the wavefunction to just be a constant value.

Y = a*exp(-iwt) - in that case.

Now, if I magic in Schrodinger's Equation when there is no potential structure (aka V=0):
w*a*exp(-iwt) = 0 --> which means w = 0 in this system. No dynamics, no energy. BOREDOM.

******** THAT!

Let's make things complicated
I'm going to introduce more dimensions in time and space. The wavefunction will not be constrained to be constant in those extra space dimensions, just for added coolness.

Y = a*f(X)*exp(-i<w|I|t> wink

So I've created a bunch of s**t in that propagator too. <w| is the frequency state, I is the Trigger interaction tensor -- which I introduce because I believe the fundamental forces couple things differently, and |t> is our nice time state. In reality, I should put a summation symbol there, but that just complicates things, and I'm going to write the ******** thing out in matrix form anyway.

Now, we need to modify Schrodinger's equation to deal with this crap.
id/dt Y = -h^2/2m * Del^2(Y) --> iSum(d/dt) Y = -1/2m a*exp(-i<w|I|t> wink *Del^2(f(X))

This leads to a lot of bullshit that I'd rather not write out.

However, let's switch gears and consider a two-dimension time case in which the coupling tensor was maximal (the condition I feel is true for weak force operations) Let's also throw out extra dimensions of space to simplify my junk.

Y = a*exp(-i (w1 w2)(0 -1 / 1 0) (t1 t2)) --> a*exp(-i(w2*t1-w1*t2))

SEQ--> w2 - w1 = 0 or w2=w1 with no bounds placed on the energy of the system. It's not forced to go to zero, so fun s**t can commence.

But there are more issues with this. Such as, since I'd like to remove mass entirely, I should be trying this with Klein-Gordon and not SEQ. However, in that case, this same fun no longer works. There is also the issue that I am not addressing creation operators directly, and the fact that there really isn't a quantum scale environment in which the wavefunction is truly flat.

It's just a hand wavy fun thing to look at and poke about when I'm bored. However, I named this unbound energy scaling the SHKK Generator as if it works out, it does lead to a loop where multiple dimensions of time+primordial mass? --> energy --> mass we know today? --> space --> space time coupling.
The Love Mutt
No luck. Three hours late, but I'm home. Drats.
Bummer panda.

Dangerous Enabler

You know what ******** sucks? Vomiting a ton when you have to leave for work in 8 hours.
That does indeed suck.

Dangerous Enabler

I still feel like a disgusting squelchy pinata. Not sure if want to call in sick.

Invisible Conversationalist

Selbe will win.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas