Welcome to Gaia! ::

Before I stopped working out, I was 5'4" at around 150 lbs and I could deadlift 360 lbs...Not sure what it is now, but I'm starting again and I'm aiming for 405 pirate . Dropped 10 lbs of BW but my height is the same lol

6,000 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hygienic 200
Ksrugi
I normally list my big three whenever I'm checking my numbers.

Bench - 225 x 5
Squat - 315 x 5
Deadlift - 410 x 5

5'10" - 170 lbs

Damn bro you must be ripped. I want that 400lb deadlift so bad.

I'm 5'9" - 195lb

Bench 250x5
Squat 285x5
Deadlift 305x5

I know, a little top heavy but due to a knee injury in college I had to lay off anything like squats or deadlifts for like 4 years. I'm just starting to work on it this summer.

6,000 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hygienic 200
Scott913

Deadlift - Awful for your spine
Squat - Awful for your spine

I'm going to have to challenge you on that. Squats and Deadlift aren't bad for your spine if your form is good. The argument that they're bad for your knees is bullshit too. You just have to take the time to learn the form. My uncle was an amateur bodybuilder in the late 70's early 80's he's in his late 50s now and he still squats and deadlifts. Zero spinal issues.

2,550 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
  • Brandisher 100
How many starting weightlifters have good form? Not many. I would never recommend either of those lifts to people new to weightlifting and they still carry an increased risk of injury. Your argument is akin to the smoker who doesn't get cancer - sure it happens, but is it likely to happen? (Deadlifting/Squatting is not as bad as smoking wink )

Shadowy Prophet

I would and do recommend these lifts. When do you suppose someone new to weightlifting will learn these lifts if they don't do it themselves?

Taking the plates off and working with just the bar isn't difficult and almost everyone can squat or deadlift 45 pounds. There's no "increased risk of injury" if you're not an idiot about it and do the research beforehand.

2,550 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
  • Brandisher 100
There are plenty of alternative lifts that have the same effect. You can achieve the same results with the leg press and eliminated a lot of the risk of squatting.

Shadowy Prophet

No, that's not correct.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/BBFullSquat.html

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/LVSeatedLegPress.html

As mentioned in another thread, aside from not targeting the stabilizer muscles that a full barbell squat utilizes, a leg press machine will isolate the quadriceps moreso than a squat. The range of motion is not comparable making the leg press machine an inefficient exercise compared to the squat. Granted, I have used routines before with the leg press machine, but I only used it after I finished squatting.

Also, there are no risks if you squat with proper form and with a sensible amount of weight for your strength level. If someone wants serious results, they'll need to put in work for prep and research as well as execution.

I'm wondering why you're so vehemently against full body, compound lifts. Have you ever done them?
Bench 275x10
Squat 455x1
Deadlift - 540x1, 425x10
Scott913
There are plenty of alternative lifts that have the same effect. You can achieve the same results with the leg press and eliminated a lot of the risk of squatting.
Lol dude no way...The leg press machine does not even give you half of the effect of squats. And I really don't think there is much risk unless you have no clue what youre doing and stack up a bunch of weight anyways.

2,550 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
  • Brandisher 100
When I started lifting I did both squats and deadlift. I will do squats periodically but I can fit in the muscle groups in other ways that are less risky. Weightlifting in and of itself has a certain amount of risk (as with anything else) associated with it. I try to avoid increasing it with lifts that have more risk involved. I also realize leg press by itself does not account for all the potential muscle groups utilized in squatting.
The main issue here is most people WILL NOT use perfect form when squatting. Its hilarious to watch people just slightly bending their knees to squat and then explaining how great of an exercise it is.
Its been about 3 years since I started lifting and I can remember kids in my class doing all kinds of s**t in the weight room that would make my eyes bug out now. It ******** up your knees and if you do it wrong it can get your back too. As for dead lifts, when we were learning how to do em' the safety recommendation was 1/3rd of our body weight. Guess how many kids followed that rule?
Find me an medical journal saying that certain lifts don't lead to certain issues later in life and I promise you I can find you one that will say that they will. In the end its a matter of preference and I'd rather not take the risk.

Shadowy Prophet

Sounds like you were taking a bullshit class with a bad teacher. Any fitness instructor who lets that happen isn't worth their hourly wage. It raises another question in the legitimacy of most fitness places; anyone can get certifications rather easily.

Of course there are risks if you do it incorrectly, just like if you were to run for cardio into oncoming traffic. Understanding goes a long way.

1,400 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hygienic 200
that´s good i am 6'1" i weight 195 and i can lift 210, but i train 3 - 4 times a week, but for u is alot really, GRATZ on that smile

Dangerous Poster

8,200 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Millionaire 200
  • Brandisher 100
judowrestler1
Bench 275x10
Squat 455x1
Deadlift - 540x1, 425x10

Your that ripped in your picture and can only bench 275x10???
Lame sauce.

Shadowy Shapeshifter

I can legpress 180 pounds about 200 times.
******** max day in fitness class. razz
Scott913
Bench 315
Legpress - 1120
Deadlift - Awful for your spine
Squat - Awful for your spine
Curl - 135
Preacher curl - 205
Shoulder shrugs - 450
Dumbell bench - 120's
I dunno what else is really worth mentioning.

deadlifts and squats are much less damaging to your spine than leg pressing, especially a 1120 leg press.

i would actually go so far as to say, those who try to leg press that much and don't have the low back strength to compensate (built through squats and deads) will be much at a much higher risk of injury.

also my lifts, because that's what the thread was about.

Basics:
Bench: 405x6 (due to shoulder and elbow issues, i have never tried a 1rm)
Squat: 365x6
DeadLift (these days i am doing stiff leg dead lifts): 405x4

Other stuff:
Hack Squat (machine): 730x8
Shrugs: 600x15
Shoulder press (due to shoulder problems, this is with dumbells): 85x10

also im 5'10" and 260lbs. been lifting since 1999

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash