*lets thread wither and die* 0.5 50.0% [ 17 ]
*waits for thread to be rebirthed from the ashes* 0.5 50.0% [ 17 ]
Total Votes:[ 34 ]

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Zy - What sort of trials? Like, what happens? Do they suffer injury? Losses?

Animal Lover

BlueJay Adler:
Oh really? If you can't see me then how did you know I was there?

Kendra Rosewood's Husband

Celestial Mystic

Ter ~ The normal trials of adventure. There are love interests and grand adventures, but these things do not feel like torture, just trials.

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Zy - But what is at risk? What's the danger? Does anyone lose things they can't get back over the course of the adventure?

*edit because I killed chat and am overthinking things now.*

I use the term torture kind of generally, to encompass most unpleasant trials I put my characters through. And while it's not necessary for characters to suffer all the time, I do think stories are made much better by the realization that there is something very real at risk for them. It doesn't have to be life-and-death. In some genres it pretty much never is. But that element of risk and being concerned because it's possible everything won't go right is something that pulls the audience in and makes them worry a little.

It's hard to be concerned for a character who is never in any danger, whether that danger be life-threatening or no.

Thirteenth Dragon

I try to torture everyone equally, though my heroes seem to get the brunt of it. Though, according to my proofreaders, I torture my readers. In a good way. My best friend had to uninstall his big boobs mod from Skyrim because of a scene. He said I "describe things with such succinct, cool detachment that it latches on and haunts." I'm pretty sure he just has a blood phobia... What's wrong with a little blood and broken bones? I haven't even started in on the psychological torture yet...

Adler: so far, they are stubbornly resisting my will to add them to the story. That is the problem with letting the voices in your head have access to a mead hall and the other voices. They get drunk and end up bringing new voices to life during a converstion-turned-brawl. Elliot Kane Stone, librarian, chef, MMA fighter, country singer, hot stud muffin. All because the voices thought it would be hilarious to combine their various aspects. Now, I need a weakness beyond 'he's human.' Drunk father, probably. Might be a common grounds thing for Trayce to relate to. Hmmm.

Sorry, brainstorming here helps me think, even though you guys probably really don't care. I just pretend you do. wink

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Hellsing - I do the same. I never mind it when others think aloud here.

I don't have any villains in the current one. Not really. Mostly my MC is just fighting his inner demons, which is great entertainment for me, but probably much less so for him.

At this point, there really isn't a big bad to fight anymore though. Which is harder in a lot of ways.

Dapper Sex Symbol

Race/character development is fun. :3

Muffers's Husband

Mind-boggling Blob

Bob - I am in 100% agreement with you there, mate.

Mystical Dreamer

War leaves its trail,
In moonlight so pale...

I've gotten one of my friends to cringe just because of two paragraphs of something that happened to one of my characters. It literally was a torture scene, and it wasn't even that graphic.

...Its shadows, they flow,
In rivers, in rivers...

Dapper Sex Symbol

Jade:: I just figured out a character I was having trouble with, and her species of Fae.

Drey:: >___> I kinda wanna read it.

Mystical Dreamer

War leaves its trail,
In moonlight so pale...

@Bob: Okay. XD
The creaking of wood, the slap of water, and the distant call of the nightwatch were all familiar noises. The splash of blood and the echoing screams of a young man whose voice was only just starting to crack, and the demented cackle of a madman, on the other hand, were far from normal. The dim, greasy light of a pusfish lamp glinting off of a metal blade was all the warning before another scream ripped raggedly from the boy’s throat, accompanied by another splash of blood.

A choked sob came from the boy as he panted for breath, unable to run or fight back against the madman that held him prisoner. The scatter of many tiny things caused him to scream again, a sharper pitch to it this time. The madman had thrown salt into the wounds he had just inflicted on the boy.

In rivers, in rivers...

Muffers's Husband

Mind-boggling Blob

Bob - Hurray! I'd pick your brain about it except I'm off to bed now. Nighty night!

Dapper Sex Symbol

Drey:: I like it. owo The imagery is definitely there. Makes me wonder why he's being tortured.

Jade:: Well, maybe at a later time. Night night.

Mystical Dreamer

War leaves its trail,
In moonlight so pale...

@Bob: The dude that's doing the torturing is a serial killer.
I figured that doing visceral imagery rather than detailed gore would get more of a reaction. Leave more to the reader's imagination.

In rivers, in rivers...

Bashful Raider

BlueJay Adler
Half way for Echo isn't anything to underestimate! Maybe if you work on it a little before camp, camp'll even be the completion of its first draft! Do you usually aim for 50k?

How do you brainstorm/outline/regroup? Do you use a digital document? Pen and paper? I love seeing how other people go about it, if you'd be willing to share the process!

Oooooooooh snap! Have you started that piece already? I would absolutely love to read it! Will you be leaving red herrings so the reader can piece it together before/while the Alpha and deputy do? Or is it more of a surprise twist at the end? Or a mix of both, where the clues are subtle and the reader is so shocked they re-read it again and catch all the red herrings and go "OOOOOOOHSNAP".

How long is that piece (or how long do you plan for it to be, in general)? Novel-length? Short story? Somewhere in between?

Also, how do mates work for your werewolves in that piece? Is it more of a biological obligation? Or...? Definitely interested in hearing how you tackled that!

The 'sickness' in my piece is actually the basis of my story. Since the late 50's and humanity's interest in putting stuff on the moon, the werewolves have been getting sick in the way I described - transformations out of sync, more painful, more dangerous because more of the animal mind takes over. And the more humanity puts things on the moon (the first men on the moon, more probes), the sicker the werewolves become - though it tends to affect newer generations in the pack I'm focusing on.

The story starts where humanity is finalising a colonisation project for the moon, which the werewolves strongly oppose. It's a society where the majority of humans don't know about werewolves to keep panic down, though. The Alpha is a politician (thinking of changing it to influential journalist in the second draft) who is trying to convince the people of the States to place funding elsewhere, all diplomatic, all while secretly ordering his pack to sabotage the mission by stealing/destroying pieces/equipment. Their last resort is to just find a way to put a werewolf on the shuttle with the colonisers so that everyone on the shuttle dies and the mission is never completed. It's a last resort, and they don't want to do it, but the pack's survival depends on it.

(...they think. << cx I've got a twist planned.)

Long post first thing in the morning.

Hey Thread! TGIF! Weekend's almost here. <3 I'm hoping to be anti-social and get a lot of writing done because drama is silly and I just want to hide away in my room for a bit to recharge. Yes.

Anyone else got writing plans? (Daydreaming is definitely a writing plan, for the record. cx)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff