Welcome to Gaia! ::

New NaNo thread is up!

*lets thread wither and die* 0.5 50.0% [ 17 ]
*waits for thread to be rebirthed from the ashes* 0.5 50.0% [ 17 ]
Total Votes:[ 34 ]

Dapper Dabbler

Well, since I've already kinda started (wrote a whopping 2 sentences last night! Go me!) that ship's sailed. But I can be there in spirit?

The story's about a civilization in the dust bowl after an apocalypse. It's dystopian at the moment, but I'm anticipating multiple regime changes.

Revered Nerd

Liz: You can participate with what you have. You just set a goal and try to reach it. No need to start something new, unless you want to.

Post-apocalyptic. What kind of apocalypse we talking?

Dapper Dabbler

That's actually something I haven't quite hammered out yet. Haven't really needed to, as the series focuses more on the civilization getting back on its feet. I do know that nuclear power was involved, there's been some significant climate change (they're in the middle of a megadrought, though a rainstorm does come toward the end of this book), and international tensions in "the old society" were severely strained due to dwindling resources.

Revered Nerd

Liz: Sounds like there were a few things going on that led to the collapse of life as we know it.

Any plans to hammer it out or a foreseeable need to work it out?

I've only vaguely worked on a post-apocalyptic dystopian thing, but I do know that figuring out how the society ended up where it was was a major part of the planning process for me. Mostly because most ways to destroy society would have an impact on the world and how it could be rebuilt. (I do over think things though and have a deep love for an absurd level of world building though...)

Dapper Dabbler

Whim: (Do you mind if I use Whim?)
Hmm, typing out that last message gives me a pretty decent idea of how things went to hell. (Climate change leads to dwindling resources leads to international tension leads to fighting. The first and last factors exacerbate each other.) Still, unless it comes up in the plot I may not have a need to expand upon it further.

Revered Nerd

Liz: That's fine.

Yeah, trying to explain a problem often leads to stumbling across the solution. How much nuclear s**t was involved though? Since I know there's all kind of stuff about that. Might be an interesting thing to look into.

And now I'm off to class. Got close to 300 words written. (Although I think it's lowering the overall word count of the document...)

Professional Garbage

My interest is also piqued at the mention of nuclear things. Presumably weapons?

Welcome to the thread, Liz. Is this a sequel to the book you already have out on Kindle?

Nuclear Werewolf

/waves at Liz

I was thinking about reading some manual-type thing about nuclear attacks and such last night, since I've been meaning to anyway. May actually have to, soon. 'S such an interesing topic.

Though this might be like the other day, where I bought a secondhand book called Nimitz Class for some unknown reason. Maybe because I hate myself. Maybe because non-sci fi military thriller should be a genre I ought to partake in. But. I forsee tearing out hair over that one, because, what was I thinking? cat_gonk

I work on a carrier. We only have Nimitz-class ones until the Ford is finished. Augh.

Animal Lover

Hello everybody. It has been a while since I have been in here due to classes keeping me busy. Well, anyway how have you guys been? Written anything good lately? I haven't done much due to lack of time, however I have managed a couple of one shots which are something I hardly ever do. I prefer to write longer stories. If anybody is interested in reading any of them I would gladly appreciate some feedback on them since I am very inexperienced with short stories like that.

Dapper Dabbler

Thanks guys.

El: Yes it is. And I'm leaning towards weapons, yes, but the backstory also involves some yet-unexplained phenomena that affected the development of a number of the city's children.

In the past this was one of my favorite subjects to read about. But this year's reading list includes a biography of J. Robert Oppenheimer, so maybe I'll get to that one next.

Bashful Raider

Hey Puppy! What genre are your pieces in? Word count? Notes on things you need help with are generally for a wider audience on the thread, but if you'd like a critique/feedback, maybe post a bit more details on what the piece is about? To see if it catches anyone's eye.

Glad to hear you're writing, though! That's always good. Are you planning to write something longer or are you falling in love with writing shorter fiction?

Hello Liz! Welcome to the thread! I sort of back-read to see what your writing was about. Seems real cool. I'm a fan of 'rebuilding the world' type stories. Do you have any sort of story goal or word goal you're aiming for in any sort of timeframe? Just to know!

And because I'm going through word withdrawal myself, war at :20 for 15!

Revered Nerd

Ok back from class and dinner.... gonna finish the scene that I started on before I left.

Puppy: As ship said, post a little bit about them and see if you get some bites. I know we're in a span where finals are hitting and summer is approaching, plus we're in the month lull between camp and suwrimo's so you might have some luck finding people with extra time on their hands.

Animal Lover

xMaskedShipper and whimsicaldreamer:
Actually, I typically write longer things which is why I loved participating in National Novel Writing Month... I got quite a bit more the 50K words in a month.... Anyway I don't have many selections at the moment for the things I want some feedback on, but here is a list and some information since you asked. I will throw everything in a spoiler to save space on the page. Also, I'm just looking for general critique basically what you think about it.

p***k of the Rose:
A fanfiction for the Yugioh 5D's fandom
Genre: I was going for something that was more sad to give an angst feeling.
Summary: When Aki loses control of psychic powers, a normal duel turns into the worst day of her life.
Word Count: One chapter with approx. 750 words.

Taking Over Me: (May turn this one into a full story with more chapters because a friend asked me to do so)
A fanfiction for the Fire Emblem Awakening fandom that was based off of the lyrics for the song Taking Over Me by Evanescence
Genre: Romance/Friendship
Summary: Lily and Alex were friends growing up, but one day Alex disappears leaving Lily behind. Giving up everything, Lily sets out to find Alex and runs into the Shepherds along the way. Along with the Shepherds, Lily manages to find Alex again, but he has no memories of his past including her. Will he ever remember her or their past together?
Word Count: One chapter with approx. 1800 words.

Incomplete:
A fanfiction for the Inuyasha fandom that was inspired by the song Incomplete by Backstreet Boys.
Genre:Hurt/Comfort/Romance
Summary: Kagome calls off her relationship with Inuyasha after she sees him kissing another girl, in return causing Inuyasha to try and get her back.
Word Count: 5 chapters with approx. 4800 words.

I am actually working on another piece as we speak and have another one that I will start shortly after. Both are one shots.... I actually have some free time at the moment.

Bashful Raider

War - 312. A low word count for me, but I'm starting at the beginning, and first paragraphs are always a little difficult for me.

Now to try and focus enough for homework. It's getting harder and harder with the weather being so nice and me just being tired in general. It's the sprint to the end, so I'm'a do my best to make this work.

Puppy - I'm not familiar with any of those fandoms even a little, so I unfortunately won't be able to give them a read through. Do you post them online on sites meant for that? (AO3, fanfiction.net, etc?) If so, maybe you could ask at the beginning/end of the pieces to know what people think! Or else maybe just wait to see if someone in the thread is willing and familiar?

That's awesome that you're able to get more than 50k! Always impresses me. A few others in this thread do it as well, but my personal goals are always around 30k for a month I'm doing some serious writing in. 50k is crazy impressive.

Revered Nerd

Puppy: I didn't stick around for 5D's but I know the basic mechanics of that verse, and my friend's written enough Inuyasha fanfic I can probably get through that one as well.

Although I tend to rip things to shreds when I critique things, so if you don't want me making comments that double the length, I'd need something more concrete than "general critique" to direct my comments.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff