Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fashionable Guildswoman

25,825 Points
  • Married 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Brilliant Light 450
It's in the ToS that Gaia reserves the right to do anything with the items that they want.
Everything is buy at your own risk, it's been this way since they started re-releasing the older MC items.

Strawberrei's Kouhai

Shirtless Sex Symbol

19,800 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Jolly Roger 50
Tales of Tales
Zandy
Gold gens are always a gamble (like any chance item). There was never an advertised lowestest payout, just because people weren't usually winning below that doesn't mean it was guaranteed to stay that way.

While I do agree that a new gold gen would have been a better way to do it, people are still geting exactly what was promised in the announcements.

I'm going to stand by my statement that this is a good thing if it stops people from buying them

But the gamble shouldn't be what time of day you decide to play the gold generator, it should be the gold generator itself. There was no guarantee that the gold generator payouts would be the same, yes, but then again, I could say that there's no guarantee that all the items purchased with GC today won't just morph into an animated Diedrich, and if they did, well, that wouldn't be fair to anyone who bought an item with GC xP. I'm just saying that I personally think it's not fair to tamper with something that users had already paid GC for in any respect..

Perfect Saint

I wonder if there is a cap of how much you can earn over 24 hours? Like if you reach 1T, everything you open after than turns to crap until the following day and the cap resets.

Kawaii Shapeshifter

Zandy
Tales of Tales
Zandy
Gold gens are always a gamble (like any chance item). There was never an advertised lowestest payout, just because people weren't usually winning below that doesn't mean it was guaranteed to stay that way.

While I do agree that a new gold gen would have been a better way to do it, people are still geting exactly what was promised in the announcements.

I'm going to stand by my statement that this is a good thing if it stops people from buying them

But the gamble shouldn't be what time of day you decide to play the gold generator, it should be the gold generator itself. There was no guarantee that the gold generator payouts would be the same, yes, but then again, I could say that there's no guarantee that all the items purchased with GC today won't just morph into an animated Diedrich, and if they did, well, that wouldn't be fair to anyone who bought an item with GC xP. I'm just saying that I personally think it's not fair to tamper with something that users had already paid GC for in any respect..
That really doesn't really make sense. They did not actually change the appearence of the item or what it does, just it's value. They already do this all the time with wearable items by rereleasing them.

Plus changing a wearable item to that extent would conflict with how it was advertised, whereas changing the payout of this gold gen doesn't.

Tiny Pumpkin

Nenanah
It's in the ToS that Gaia reserves the right to do anything with the items that they want.
Everything is buy at your own risk, it's been this way since they started re-releasing the older MC items.

I'm not arguing that point-- I'm completely aware that all items are buy at your own risk; it's been that way far longer than that. Three words come to mind: Monkey/Bear Pajamas.

Yes, nothing was ever promised. Yes, they are completely within their rights to make whatever changes they want, up to and including making the payout for all golden lunchboxes be a picture of Lanzer's face with the word "SUCKER!" in flashing lights underneath. And no, we are never ENTITLED to anything. Not gold, not items, not refunds, not Lanzer's face with the word "SUCKER" in flashing lights underneath.

But the decision to make this specific alteration to the golden lunch box was not a good one, from a customer service standpoint. The goal shouldn't be "Discourage users from buying gold generators, or from choosing the 'Gold' option on these generators." It should be "Encourage users to select the non-gold options on gold generators, and to purchase other items." You can't make everyone happy all of the time, but you can still achieve a kind of equilibrium where most people are at least content. Contented customers spend more money. A customer who feels like they were "burned" by a previous purchase will be much slower to spend that money.

I'm willing to bet that a lot of Gaia's profits are from impulse buys, judging from the system they've fallen into for cash shop items. (Quantities are limited, so buy now! This is only available for 24 hours, so buy now! Here is a special discount for cash for today only, so buy now! ) Hesitant consumers are the LAST thing they'd want.

But as far as I'm concerned, I just don't like the "serves them right" reaction to customer complaints over the change in the lunchboxes. I roll my eyes at the more entitled-sounding people too. But whether or not you agree with it, and whether or not Gaia had every right to do so, a significant change was made to an item that a lot of people bought, and they are understandably disappointed by this change. And they're allowed to be.

Strawberrei's Kouhai

Shirtless Sex Symbol

19,800 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Jolly Roger 50
Tales of Tales
Zandy
Tales of Tales
Zandy

That really doesn't really make sense. They did not actually change the appearence of the item or what it does, just it's value. They already do this all the time with wearable items by rereleasing them.

Plus changing a wearable item to that extent would conflict with how it was advertised, whereas changing the payout of this gold gen doesn't.

But gold generators are only pure value, so changing their payouts in the middle of the day without notice prior to them being rereleased is still unfair to those who bought it. Item are more than just gold-value. They also harbour intrinsic value. Take the Angelic Halo for example. It has been rereleased a bajillion times and I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few hundred if not a thousand on the site right now, and they still have a multi-trillion value.

Tell me this. Suppose instead that a random item generator was released, and in the middle of the day without notice, Gaia decided to nerf the odds so that you had a 99.9% chance of always getting a Starter Polo Shirt. Same "advertised" chance of winning say, a Halo or a super rare ticket too. I'm willing to bet that a lot more people would be making a fit because Gaia tampering with fixed odds from the original release without notice isn't fair to the buyers.

Tiny Pumpkin

Tales of Tales
Zandy
Tales of Tales
Zandy

Re-releasing items is very, very different. The worth of an item is limited to how much someone is willing to pay for it. Rarity does not always determine value. The black bow tie and the rose corsage were released at the same time and were relatively equal in rarity, but the value of the black bow tie was always far, FAR lower than the rose corsage. Nobody really cared about the bow tie. But they liked the corsage.

Bunnies vs. Chickies. Same rarity, but a general preference for Bunnies. There was always a significant price gap between those, too.

The change to the gold generator was a change in the cold, hard, gold amount generated. The change in worth is not subjective in this case.

Doesn't change the base argument any, but I still wanted to point it out.

Tiny Pumpkin

Zandy
Tales of Tales
Zandy
Tales of Tales
Zandy

But gold generators are only pure value, so changing their payouts in the middle of the day without notice prior to them being rereleased is still unfair to those who bought it. Item are more than just gold-value. They also harbour intrinsic value. Take the Angelic Halo for example. It has been rereleased a bajillion times and I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few hundred if not a thousand on the site right now, and they still have a multi-trillion value.

Tell me this. Suppose instead that a random item generator was released, and in the middle of the day without notice, Gaia decided to nerf the odds so that you had a 99.9% chance of always getting a Starter Polo Shirt. Same "advertised" chance of winning say, a Halo or a super rare ticket too. I'm willing to bet that a lot more people would be making a fit because Gaia tampering with fixed odds from the original release without notice isn't fair to the buyers.

Zandy, you need to stop reading my mind and posting these things before me. Makes me look like a copycat. xd

Velvetine Zealot

37,225 Points
  • A Magnificent Epilogue to Our Youth 500
  • Dauntless Sovereign 500
  • Melonsta X 500
When you buy a gen you're rolling a pair of weighted dice in a sense. You want to get snake eyes, the weight will make it equal six total.
They just made the dice heavier for now. You're still taking that gamble.

Kawaii Shapeshifter

Zandy

You're the one that was trying to compare gold gens with wearable items to begin with, I'm happy to agree they're not comparable.

Well, since item gens don't harm the economy there's not really a good side to stopping people from buying them. Infact if it's a rerelease gen it would be the opposite since rereleasing generally drives down the price confused
But as long as it was still spitting out the items advertised, I wouldn't really have a problem with it. When people gamble, sometimes they win, but most of the time they lose.

Since it's obvious we're not going to agree I won't post again after this (long winded arguements that go nowhere are not my thing). But I still stick by my opinion that this is a good thing for the economy and most of the site and users are still getting exactly what was advertised

Strawberrei's Kouhai

Shirtless Sex Symbol

19,800 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Jolly Roger 50
Tales of Tales
Zandy

You're the one that was trying to compare gold gens with wearable items to begin with, I'm happy to agree they're not comparable.

Well, since item gens don't harm the ecnomy there's not really a good side to stopping people from buying them. Infact if it's a rerelease gen it would be the opposite since rereleasing generally drives down the price confused
But as long as it was still spitting out the items advertised, I wouldn't really have a problem with it. When people gamble, sometimes they win, but most of the time they lose.

Since it's obvious we're not going to agree I won't post again after this (long winded arguements that go nowhere are not my thing). But I still stick by my opinion that this is a good thing for the economy and most of the site and users are still getting exactly what was advertised

I was comparing the fact that both gold generators and items are bought with Gaia Cash, not that gold generators are in any other way comparable to items.

You seem to be implying that Gaia nerfed the gold generators in the middle of the day to prevent people from buying them. From a business standpoint, that seems a bit ludicrous since Gaia is all about maximizing their profits these days. Once again, it's not about "sometimes winning" or "sometimes losing". It's about taking set odds from the initial release and changing them while the item is still purchasable without notice to the buyers. That's unfair whether it's a gold generator or an item generator, or anything. When Gaia releases an item and some sort of odds are established, it becomes the status quo for that item/GG. Changing it without notice is in part deception because a user who bought it a week ago assumes the ODDS (not necessarily the winnings) will be the same because the item is the same because the gold generator was rereleased. If the gold generator was in fact different/nerfed, then Gaia would release a different one to reflect the change in odds like they've done in the past.

I'm not really here to change anyone's opinion and I can respect if you disagree. Regardless though, I am just trying to emphasize the need for Gaia to announce changes that potentially affect whether a person purchases something or not, because it can lead to problems.
Nenanah

Site feedback is meant to make concerns known, regardless of the current legalities of the ToS.

I like to believe gaia does take into account user feedback, instead of slapping 'READ THE ToS' to qualm the discontent.
Long Live The Ice
When you buy a gen you're rolling a pair of weighted dice in a sense. You want to get snake eyes, the weight will make it equal six total.
They just made the dice heavier for now. You're still taking that gamble.

It's not the fact that the dice are loaded, but that the rules of the game have been changed midway.

People who purchased these items are understandably upset. Even moreso considering this is something to be discovered by the users who already purchased the items expecting the same odds they had before.

Sparkling Trash

20,525 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Partygoer 500
  • Noble Shade 100
Tales of Tales
Good. If this is true it's probably the best thing Gaia's done in ages.

Maybe it'll finally be a wake up call to the people who still insist on buying those things and wrecking the economy

okay when i spend 50 bucks i expect to get atleast the same payout as gold to cash value for a LQI, when i was getting 3bil+ and now barely over 20mil for something thats being cheated

Sparkling Trash

20,525 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Partygoer 500
  • Noble Shade 100
Tales of Tales
Junyi
It may have been a bad business decision in terms of people purchasing gold gens (loosing some money and upsetting a few people), but if it stops them from buying the gold gens was a good decision for the economy and the rest of the site. The less people that buy gold gen, the better.

It may 'suck' for people who buy them, but that is a a good thing if it stops them from buying them in future.

its called a bait and switch and its tech illegal

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces