Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sparkling Trash

20,525 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Partygoer 500
  • Noble Shade 100
Next time you decide to nerf something make sure you make users aware because going from 3 bil to 20 mil for a generator in this economy makes them worthless. And you did it like two hours ago and people have npoticed teh difference. Thats for making me waste my money on something that wont even produce 1 bil;.

CIoud Nine's Husband

Winged Warlord

24,000 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Generous 100
It would be nice if they had some sort of warning but I'm kind of happy if they nerfed it. The economy is already bad enough and gold gens with insane amounts of gold grants just makes it even more worse. Some items are already massively inflating because of it.

Dangerous Strawberry

12,250 Points
  • Restorative Spirit 250
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
It's good its nerfed, but they still could have said something

Tiny Pumpkin

I think there could've been a much better way to have gone about it. A nerf in the form of making the Uni lunchbox much more rare? I could get behind that. And what about just halting the 50% off sale? I don't remember there being a specific time limit noted, and it's not like they haven't done flash sales before. I remember coming home from work to find a 2014 Black Friday grab bag sale had come and gone.

Or make the gold aspect less attractive. Bump the charm payoffs. Maybe not to Cavernous Depths levels (Those were pretty crazy, but they worked-- I picked "Charms" every time!) but it's super easy to blow through those charms, and the chance items you make with them aren't worth tons of gold in the marketplace.

Or what about having the different tiers give different rewards like the Old (Ice) Fishing Hole? I love those PRECISELY because I don't know what I'm going to get.

There's so much that could've been done to stem the tidal wave of gold coming out of those things without making your customers feel cheated. I hope that the introduction of the Pee Cola Lemon Soda is just a quick band-aid to slap on the problem while you come up with a better solution, and not a permanent change. Especially since I imagine these changes are retroactive as well.
Junyi again on an alt that bought some packs of lunchboxes yesterday.

Confirmed: Golden Lunchboxes purchased prior to the nerf have also been nerfed. I can't really see how they wouldn't have been, but knowing for certain that this nerf affects all existing golden lunchboxes kind of underscores the point I made in my previous post re: customers feeling cheated.

Kawaii Shapeshifter

Good. If this is true it's probably the best thing Gaia's done in ages.

Maybe it'll finally be a wake up call to the people who still insist on buying those things and wrecking the economy

Tiny Pumpkin

Tales of Tales

Maybe it'll finally be a wake up call to the people who still insist on buying those things and wrecking the economy

You'll get no argument from me on the inflation problem (It might be time to think about a little redenomination), but that's a little harsh. I mean, it's like buying a carton of cigarettes, bringing them home, setting them on top of the fridge, and waking up to find out that at midnight, all cigarettes were to be manufactured at a fifth of the size they previously were. And when that happened, even the existing cigarettes all shrunk too.

"Yeah! Serves them right! Stupid smokers! I hate how they just go around smoking everywhere and making a cloud of toxic stank outside of doors!"

They're annoying, they're harmful, and sure, we'd all be better off without them. But someone still bought them as they were, and the product they have now is not the product they purchased. And that is the issue.

Kawaii Shapeshifter

Junyi
Tales of Tales

You'll get no argument from me on the inflation problem (It might be time to think about a little redenomination), but that's a little harsh. I mean, it's like buying a carton of cigarettes, bringing them home, setting them on top of the fridge, and waking up to find out that at midnight, all cigarettes were to be manufactured at a fifth of the size they previously were. And when that happened, even the existing cigarettes all shrunk too.

"Yeah! Serves them right! Stupid smokers! I hate how they just go around smoking everywhere and making a cloud of toxic stank outside of doors!"

They're annoying, they're harmful, and sure, we'd all be better off without them. But someone still bought them as they were, and the product they have now is not the product they purchased. And that is the issue.
No offense, but the buyer is not getting ripped off. Cigarette's are a product that you'd expect to always remain the same, there's no chance involved so it's not really comparable. Gold gens are more like a lotto ticket, just because you and 10 other people won $1000 one time doesn't mean you're going to (or entitled to) win that amount or more again.

They are advertised as "win up to *gold amount here*". You could win 1g from it and still get exactly what you were promised.

Green Smoker

This is not the product I paid for. I paid for the product I previously used. This one was changed without notice.

Tiny Pumpkin

Tales of Tales
Junyi
Tales of Tales

No offense, but the buyer is not getting ripped off. Cigarette's are a product that you'd expect to always remain the same, there's no chance involved so it's not really comparable. Gold gens are more like a lotto ticket, just because you and 10 other people won $1000 one time doesn't mean you're going to (or entitled to) win that amount or more again.

They are advertised as "win up to *gold amount here*". You could win 1g from it and still get exactly what you were promised.

True. Cigarettes weren't a very good comparison. Lotto tickets aren't really a good comparison either, though. And neither would a slot machine, or anything where you put something in without a guarantee of getting something out of it.

The worst outcome for a golden lunchbox was still, gold-wise, about three billion. (I don't think I ever got less than that amount) And no, we're not entitled to anything. We could get exactly what it says on the tin by getting one gold. Why should anyone complain? It's still technically giving us what it says it'll give us, right?

Let's look at it another way. Not from a standpoint of entitlement or a wrecked economy or what Gaia should do to fix that economy:

Altering a product without notice so that it provides overall less satisfaction (a general term here; let's not split hairs on this one) to the customer (general term again, meaning anyone who spent real or virtual currency on the product) -- regardless of whether or not a provider is entitled to make these changes without notice -- is a bad business decision.

And the problem I had with your initial comment wasn't the point you made about the economy, but the "Serves them right" sentiment about the effect it has on the people who purchased this item.

We're not entitled to any guaranteed prize out of an item. This is true. But it still sucks. 3nodding

Heart Tamer

As far as I know, it's fair game for them to nerf the average payout as long as the advertised large gold winnings are still the same. The economy is at its all-time worst right now, so quite frankly, I'm glad they did this. I can understand why people might feel cheated, but those things are always a gamble. In my own selfish way, I hope this puts people off from buying gold gens in the future because they're a bane to the economy.

Kawaii Shapeshifter

Junyi
It may have been a bad business decision in terms of people purchasing gold gens (loosing some money and upsetting a few people), but if it stops them from buying the gold gens was a good decision for the economy and the rest of the site. The less people that buy gold gen, the better.

It may 'suck' for people who buy them, but that is a a good thing if it stops them from buying them in future.

Strawberrei's Kouhai

Shirtless Sex Symbol

19,800 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Jolly Roger 50
Tales of Tales
Junyi
Tales of Tales

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of inflation either, however, I have to agree with Junyi. All emotions about the inflation aside, the complaint made has nothing to do with being lucky in the past or unlucky in the present. There apparently was a lowest payout for this gold generator (a few billion gold if I am not mistaken), and it seems to have changed to a few million gold. This isn't a new gold generator, and there's no indication in the recent announcement that they had been nerfed, so it's not really fair to the buyers. If Gaia wants to indeed nerf gold generators, they should have pulled the Golden Lunchbox off of La Victoire and released a new nerfed one instead of updating one that has been out for a couple of weeks in the middle of sales.

Kawaii Shapeshifter

Zandy
Gold gens are always a gamble (like any chance item). There was never an advertised lowestest payout, just because people weren't usually winning below that doesn't mean it was guaranteed to stay that way.

While I do agree that a new gold gen would have been a better way to do it, people are still geting exactly what was promised in the announcements.

I'm going to stand by my statement that this is a good thing if it stops people from buying them

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff