Welcome to Gaia! ::

Jae Jin-ah's Oppa

Pokejinka Horangi

Lucht
Jong Kook
I was mentally facepalming myself to find out the notice to Tektek... but ye, Homestruck is the biggest ripoff from a freelance artist I recall. And well, I posted this on a Pokemon thread before, but...
I'm pretty sure they took from another artist, since this image below was someone's gijinka from 2011. Does one look nearly identical? Quite so.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Wow.... that's.... yup. I see what you're saying here.

This whole thing is ridiculous. Gaia is being pretty hypocritical here and even if they say it's a coincidence, it's a pretty freaking big one. 8'D

There's far too much similarity to be considered a mere coincidence.
Look at the design of the gijinka vs Gaia's item.

Decayin[g]_Sou[l]'s Significant Otter

Demonic Hellhound

Jong Kook
I was mentally facepalming myself to find out the notice to Tektek... but ye, Homestruck is the biggest ripoff from a freelance artist I recall. And well, I posted this on a Pokemon thread before, but...
I'm pretty sure they took from another artist, since this image below was someone's gijinka from 2011. Does one look nearly identical? Quite so.

Is the artist aware?

Benevolent Strawberry

27,600 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Jong Kook
Lucht
Jong Kook

Wow.... that's.... yup. I see what you're saying here.

This whole thing is ridiculous. Gaia is being pretty hypocritical here and even if they say it's a coincidence, it's a pretty freaking big one. 8'D

There's far too much similarity to be considered a mere coincidence.
Look at the design of the gijinka vs Gaia's item.

Well, I do agree with you for one. But I have no doubt they'd claim coincidence. In anycase. It's going to be interesting to see how gaia defends themselves here.
They constantly rip off animes and video games, and now it looks like other artist's work and they have the nerve to say that the TekTek site, which has helped a LOT of gaian's over the years, has been using copyrighted material on their site. Honestly, I think there's much more to it than that but they're just hiding behind copyright issues. I mean, they were even mentioning the site in messages from the welcoming fairy. Something is fishy here.

Healing Giver

12,750 Points
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Hesitant Participant 100
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
Tektek was an invaluable resource for gaia users, especially avatar creators in the old "dressing room" forum. If anything, it helped promote Gaia and it's items and got people to quest for and to buy stuff.

Clearly Gaia did not have any issues with it until recently, because Tektek was advertised all over the place. I have a feeling a lot of this may have to do with some bad blood between the new CEO and general manager and the old developers and staff who left.

LadyShi's Husband

Handsome Noob

Wow... I have no idea they did this, and I find it disappointing. sad

Tektek has been around forever, and there were never any issues then..so why now?
The site has been a great tool to this community (tektek contest, avi designs, quest bars or just overall reference for items/market/poses etc), why end something that actually help members of this site.

PeachiiTea's Partner

Biggest Sex Symbol

66,425 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Yeah, I was upset about this all morning so far since I heard about it before I went in to work.

They are being so hypocritical right now it's sickening.
Gaia has ripped off so many concepts (Sailor Moon, Pokemon, etc.), and after all this time,
they are NOW going after a site that was just used as a free tool for us?

That's just sick and wrong.

Unless Gaia improves their site to have functions like TekTek;
like being able to try on more than one of the same item that you don't have in Customize Avatar,
or the ability to create "Quest Bars", or calculate account worth, then I don't want to even hear it.

But again I just can't get over them causing a fuss about Copyright issues, when Gaia themselves are a much larger offender.

Distrustful Gaian

26,215 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
I totally forgot all the supernatural stuff!!

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
Are the Adventure Time items still available in the cash shop? Not to mention the ones over in Junk in the Trunk.

Playful Lunatic

11,250 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Tycoon 200
The Walking Dead items...

Shameless Lunatic

xx I met my fate xx
I totally forgot all the supernatural stuff!!

oAO How DARE YOU
User Image

Space Witch

37,750 Points
  • Cosmic Healer 200
  • Screeching Savior 100
  • Haunting Echo 75
This is insane.

Deadly Sex Symbol

14,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Survivor 150
Where's the source of the reason Tektek has been requested to take down his site under the grounds of copyright infringement?

unitea's Wife

Liberal Prophet

Honey of the South
Are the Adventure Time items still available in the cash shop? Not to mention the ones over in Junk in the Trunk.

♥I think the Adventure Time was something that Gaia had specific rights for.

But that doesn't explain the hundreds of items they've made as "parody," when really they're all but dead on.

Distrustful Gaian

26,215 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Barnbrat
The Walking Dead items....

I think those were done with a sponsorship deal.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff