Welcome to Gaia! ::

Did you miss me?

Im baaaccckkk 0.38181818181818 38.2% [ 168 ]
Bitches 0.61818181818182 61.8% [ 272 ]
Total Votes:[ 440 ]

Hello! I've thought about getting tattoos but since I am going to be entering the working world soon I hope depending on if there any jobs open, should I hold off?

Eloquent Vampire

CheerfulOptimist
Hello! I've thought about getting tattoos but since I am going to be entering the working world soon I hope depending on if there any jobs open, should I hold off?
Depends on where you get it. Get it in an area that won't be exposed constantly, and you'll be fine. Avoid visible areas like wrists, hands, neck, chest/collarbone, etc. Pretty much anywhere from the elbows up and the knees up and anywhere on your actual body/torso is fine.

Magical Cutesmasher

11,250 Points
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Clambake 200
CheerfulOptimist

It honestly depends on placement. Forearm and chest tattoos should be avoided if you can't cover them (i.e. Demablend cover up, sleeves, etc). I have three tattoos and my workplace wouldn't have a clue if I hadn't talked about them at some point. You just have to be smart about it.
Just stretched my medusa and labret piercing to 12g, and while it feels a tiny bit tender, there was no real soreness or blood! <3

Eloquent Vampire

Tongue swelling is starting to go down. Yay!

I kinda wish I hadn't gotten it placed as far back as I did. One space forward I think would have been better. Damn, but I still won't judge it too hard until the swelling is completely gone and I can get a much better look at it's actual placement. When I looked at it just after the procedure it was good, so I'm assuming that swelling is just pushing it back at an odd angle.
Jagger-Wolf

I kinda wish I hadn't gotten it placed as far back as I did. One space forward I think would have been better. Damn, but I still won't judge it too hard until the swelling is completely gone and I can get a much better look at it's actual placement. When I looked at it just after the procedure it was good, so I'm assuming that swelling is just pushing it back at an odd angle.

Trust me, you're going to like it being further back, especially once you have your barbell downsized to the right length.
It will never touch your teeth unless your force it to by moving your tongue a certain way.
I'll message you on fb with a picture of mine with my tongue in different positions.

Eloquent Vampire

LUX AURUMQU3
Jagger-Wolf

Trust me, you're going to like it being further back, especially once you have your barbell downsized to the right length.
It will never touch your teeth unless your force it to by moving your tongue a certain way.
I'll message you on fb with a picture of mine with my tongue in different positions.
*Saw pictures* That's about where mine sits, from what I can tell through the swelling, anyway. I have a short tongue and a fairly long frenulum, so she didn't have much wiggle room as far as placement went. The original placement dot was one space in front of this one, if that makes sense. I know they're supposed to lean back at an angle, since that helps protect a lot of oral/dental structures.

Now that the swelling is going down I can already start to feel how long the barbell is. I kinda pull my tongue backward naturally as I rest, and push it up a bit toward the roof of my mouth, and I can feel the top bead resting against the roof of my mouth. I consciously try to relax it every time I notice, though.

I'm just hoping that once the swelling is down and my tongue is back to normal, it will still be slightly visible, you know? But again, I wanted it slightly further back as a precursor to a future tongue split. Once this heals, I may stretch it a size or two, and then get it split, that way I have a lower risk of regrowth at the point of the V.

Romantic Lover

6,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Dressed Up 200
Wow I haven't posted in forever. Nothing new mod wise here just having the great red vs. purple debate for my hair. I think purple as it's a good bit lower maintenance.

Eloquent Vampire

Tongue pain is almost completely gone! Still some swelling, but it's getting better each day, and I'm starting to see some excess barbell, so that's a good sign, too. I rewarded myself today for all the knitting I got done for Christmas presents over the weekend with the cheeseburger I'd been craving since I got pierced! And yes, it was amazing. I can eat almost completely normally again, but still being cautious not to bite the beads or anything. So far, it's shaping up to be a good week. 3nodding

Bashful Strawberry

I've been watching a lot of self done tongue spitting using the binding method on youtube, any opinions on that?
I think it looks interesting, and the fact that the tongue heals as it splits is pretty interesting to me.

Eloquent Vampire

Gummibear Pwns
I've been watching a lot of self done tongue spitting using the binding method on youtube, any opinions on that?
I think it looks interesting, and the fact that the tongue heals as it splits is pretty interesting to me.
Like the fishing line method? Scares the crap out of me. I would rather just have a professional slice the thing for me and be done with it all in one go.

I would think the potential for regrowth with the fishing line method would be pretty high. I'm planning to split mine in a few years, once my tongue piercing is healed and maybe stretched a size or two. Then I'll get one or two more tongue piercings and stretch them. Once they're fully healed and stretched, I'll just have the tip split and any tissue between the stretched fistulas. Very little cutting, very little chance of regrowth.

Bashful Strawberry

Jagger-Wolf
Gummibear Pwns
Like the fishing line method? Scares the crap out of me. I would rather just have a professional slice the thing for me and be done with it all in one go.

I would think the potential for regrowth with the fishing line method would be pretty high. I'm planning to split mine in a few years, once my tongue piercing is healed and maybe stretched a size or two. Then I'll get one or two more tongue piercings and stretch them. Once they're fully healed and stretched, I'll just have the tip split and any tissue between the stretched fistulas. Very little cutting, very little chance of regrowth.

Yeah, the fishing line method. I'd imagine if you begin with a stretched tongue piercing the chances of regrowth shouldn't be anymore likely than a cut one?
As for your idea, that sounds very good to me, and one I would try, but my tongue is so small there's no room for that on me, I can only fit one piercing, and it's close. :c
Either way I'm not making any move for a split anytime soon, it'll be a couple of years still.

Eloquent Vampire

Gummibear Pwns
Jagger-Wolf
Gummibear Pwns

Yeah, the fishing line method. I'd imagine if you begin with a stretched tongue piercing the chances of regrowth shouldn't be anymore likely than a cut one?
As for your idea, that sounds very good to me, and one I would try, but my tongue is so small there's no room for that on me, I can only fit one piercing, and it's close. :c
Either way I'm not making any move for a split anytime soon, it'll be a couple of years still.
Regrowth usually happens at the point of the V shape the split tongue creates. By having a nicely healed, slightly larger than usual spot at that V already, it's more unlikely that you'll get regrowth because there isn't freshly exposed tissue wanting to stitch itself back together with the side it's missing.

I just see the fishing line method being more hassle, trouble, and risk than it's worth. There is nothing there separating the split as you go, so it can just reseal itself behind the fishing line. Like a double zipper almost, as the line is pulled forward, the two sides are still close enough that they can start to blend back together, and you're just left with a line of scar tissue rather than a nice even split.

I have this strange aversion to pretty much all DIY body mods other than stretching, because SO much can go wrong SO quickly. I'd rather have professionals do pretty much everything for me, and I'll do the few things that are safe for me to do on my own. They know what to do, they trained and schooled for it, they know what to do if something goes wrong or terribly wrong, they can see what they're doing better than you can see what you're doing, etc.

Magical Cutesmasher

11,250 Points
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Clambake 200
Gummibear Pwns

DIY body mods are ALWAYS a bad idea. If you wouldn't trust yourself with minor surgery, then you shouldn't be trusting yourself with self body modification - no matter what the scale is.

Bashful Strawberry

You both make good points. I dunno, it just seemed convenient to me.
Either, way, like I said my split will be a ways off if I do get one (I have been wanting one pretty badly for a couple of years now, but the procedure and healing seem quite daunting), I'll prolly just have Brian Decker do it for me. heart

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff