Amour Belle et Deces

i won't actually say that. you take things too seriously ahahaha xD

anway, how r u?

Rainbow Kitten

Hello c:
I abide to the Constructive Criticism rules and promise to be kind to everyone
Though, I don't want to critic others, since I'm not really able too //lol

Ohh how I've been looking around for a thread like this ; u ;
I would be happy if I could receive some help on pricing suggestions as well as critique c:
[ 1 ] // [ 2 ]
I kind of started drawing again this summer and have been drawing traditionally, still figuring out a lot of things //obviously&noskillsyay!

Player

`Hydro
Hello. I would like to receive critiques so I can figure out pricing on my items. Not to sound over-confident, I think my pieces are good enough to be sell-able.

This is a male avatar I finished today for a contest. [ x ]
This is a female avatar I did not too long ago. I apologize for the obnoxious watermark. [ x ]

first sample : overall the the black you used is too overbearing and contrasts very sharply with the rest of the color.

i assume that you started out with the darkest black first and then added in the highlights.
the better option would first be laying down a dark grey base color, a darker grey shadow, and then a lighter grey highlight.
i don't recommend using a pure black to color, unless it's for something more graphic and simple or an inked picture because black is a very rich and harsh color.

overall, because you used an air / soft brush to color, everything turned out muddy looking. everything looks like a giant blur with no sharp edges to contrast.
cast shadows generally have sharp edges (ie, shadow under you nose, shadow under your chin, shadow in the wrinkles of you clothes, etct)
form shadows have soft edges (ie, the shadows on your arms, legs, etc.)

here is an example of shadows working.

second sample : here are some red lines. (sorry for any grammar / spelling mistakes)

your art is sellable on the lower teirs
you still have massive anatomy issues to work out.
you can probably sell your art for a cheap price.

if you have any questions about anything, feel free to ask.

High-functioning Sex Symbol

a busted radio
Amour Belle et Deces

i won't actually say that. you take things too seriously ahahaha xD

anway, how r u?

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

okey~~
i'm fine i guess. you?

Player

Amour Belle et Deces
okey~~
i'm fine i guess. you?

same, just listening to Lorde haha.
turns out i quite like her music

Dragon Storyteller

52,425 Points
  • Heart of a Dragon 500
  • Embrace of Destiny 500
  • Empyrean Scribe 0
a busted radio
`Hydro
Hello. I would like to receive critiques so I can figure out pricing on my items. Not to sound over-confident, I think my pieces are good enough to be sell-able.

This is a female avatar I did not too long ago. I apologize for the obnoxious watermark. [ x ]

first sample : overall the the black you used is too overbearing and contrasts very sharply with the rest of the color.

i assume that you started out with the darkest black first and then added in the highlights.
the better option would first be laying down a dark grey base color, a darker grey shadow, and then a lighter grey highlight.
i don't recommend using a pure black to color, unless it's for something more graphic and simple or an inked picture because black is a very rich and harsh color.

overall, because you used an air / soft brush to color, everything turned out muddy looking. everything looks like a giant blur with no sharp edges to contrast.
cast shadows generally have sharp edges (ie, shadow under you nose, shadow under your chin, shadow in the wrinkles of you clothes, etct)
form shadows have soft edges (ie, the shadows on your arms, legs, etc.)

here is an example of shadows working.

second sample : here are some red lines. (sorry for any grammar / spelling mistakes)

your art is sellable on the lower teirs
you still have massive anatomy issues to work out.
you can probably sell your art for a cheap price.

if you have any questions about anything, feel free to ask.

Actually...I didn't start with the darkest color...in fact I did a dark grey base color, darker grey and then a lighter grey...but then again it is my first time doing such a dark avatar I certainly know it is not perfect.

I appreciate the critique but I guess you didn't find anything positive about it? sweatdrop

Dragon Storyteller

52,425 Points
  • Heart of a Dragon 500
  • Embrace of Destiny 500
  • Empyrean Scribe 0
Amour Belle et Deces
`Hydro

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

It's good that you have confidence in yourself! Click the spoiler below for a critique.
First, I will say that if you're going to do a watermark, make it smaller and not in Comic Sans. Everyone hates Comic Sans. First, I will point out the good, analyzing the female:
1. Coloring and shadows are good (make sure you know where your light source is).
2. You've got the basic body structure down pretty well.
3. The little goat is adorable.
4. Pretty good attention to detail.
5. The arms and hands are good, and hands are hard to do. (The elbow is a little too round though on her right arm).
6. The hair and ears aren't half bad either.

Now the flaws.
1. The head is too small and pointy. The eyes are too far apart.
2. The neck is too long and thin.
3. Breasts are too round. The cleavage would not spread out so high/far. (Don't worry, boobs are really hard to draw.)
4. The calf is not shaped like that; the dent in the top-left of it should not be there. Also, the feet could use some improvement.
5. The tail is mediocre-looking and colored differently than the rest of the picture - or so it seems. Tails are made of hair, so should it look like hair?
6. Goat horns should be thick at the base and thin/pointy at the top.
7. The "dent" in the knee should be more of a U-shape.
8. If that's how you like to draw your eyes, make sure you place them correctly.

I'd say your main focus is from the knee-down and neck-up. Try to get down the proportions for the head. When you fix these things, you can start a shop! Check back after you've gotten some more practice, if you like. Thank you for stopping by

Thanks. I like how you critique. I think I will try two more pieces and get critiqued again.
I seem to always have problems with the feet on my avatars. sweatdrop

Toki of Crown Royal
Hello c:

I would be happy if I could receive some help on pricing suggestions as well as critique c:
[ 1 ] // [ 2 ]
I kind of started drawing again this summer and have been drawing traditionally, still figuring out a lot of things //obviously&noskillsyay!

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Hello!
First I will point out the goods that I see.
1. The hair you draw is pretty cute in structure.
2. You're pretty good at drawing hands.
3. The facial features are cute and placed pretty well.
4. On your first link, the third and sixth pictures are really cute!

Now the not-so-goods.
1. Do you shade? This is what we call "lineart"; there is no shading or color.
2. The first picture on your first example is rather weak. The hair is limp, the head is too big for the neck and body, and the strokes are uneven across the board.
3. It seems that every piece has different eye sizes/placement.
4. Pictures of traditional art go for a lot less than a scanned piece or digital, so if you can, get a scanner. Bestbuy has cheap ones.

I think your main focuses are:
1. Map out the proportions you want to use for your art.
2. Learn how to shade and color. This is a big step and might take a long time. I think I'll put up some tutorials about it.
3. Dabble in the art of using the correct pencils.

Good luck!

`Hydro
Amour Belle et Deces
`Hydro

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

It's good that you have confidence in yourself! Click the spoiler below for a critique.
First, I will say that if you're going to do a watermark, make it smaller and not in Comic Sans. Everyone hates Comic Sans. First, I will point out the good, analyzing the female:
1. Coloring and shadows are good (make sure you know where your light source is).
2. You've got the basic body structure down pretty well.
3. The little goat is adorable.
4. Pretty good attention to detail.
5. The arms and hands are good, and hands are hard to do. (The elbow is a little too round though on her right arm).
6. The hair and ears aren't half bad either.

Now the flaws.
1. The head is too small and pointy. The eyes are too far apart.
2. The neck is too long and thin.
3. Breasts are too round. The cleavage would not spread out so high/far. (Don't worry, boobs are really hard to draw.)
4. The calf is not shaped like that; the dent in the top-left of it should not be there. Also, the feet could use some improvement.
5. The tail is mediocre-looking and colored differently than the rest of the picture - or so it seems. Tails are made of hair, so should it look like hair?
6. Goat horns should be thick at the base and thin/pointy at the top.
7. The "dent" in the knee should be more of a U-shape.
8. If that's how you like to draw your eyes, make sure you place them correctly.

I'd say your main focus is from the knee-down and neck-up. Try to get down the proportions for the head. When you fix these things, you can start a shop! Check back after you've gotten some more practice, if you like. Thank you for stopping by

Thanks. I like how you critique. I think I will try two more pieces and get critiqued again.
I seem to always have problems with the feet on my avatars. sweatdrop

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

I did, too, for a long time. They're not easy. I think, when I get my scanner, I'll draw a little tutorial on how I draw feet... Or just get one from YouTube. XD

Your hott Mom

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

hey so I'm gonna get a scanner later this week. What's the best thing to do after I've scanned it? Like how do I put it on a white background? Bleh I feel like it's gonna be messy
I have PS CS6 and Adobe Illustrator but AI isn't working

Spirit

`Hydro

Regarding the first piece, I think what a busted radio said is very valid, and you should take those points into consideration.

I just have a few things to add:
The figure looks a bit off balance because of a slight lean to the right. You can simply rotate the image to make it straight.
You say it's the closest to realism you've done, so personally I'd remove the shadow you have behind the body if you want it to appear more 3D. The shadow makes the drawing look flat and like a cut-out.

Rainbow Kitten

Amour Belle et Deces
Toki of Crown Royal
Hello c:

[ 1 ] // [ 2 ]

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Hello!
First I will point out the goods that I see.
1. The hair you draw is pretty cute in structure.
2. You're pretty good at drawing hands.
3. The facial features are cute and placed pretty well.
4. On your first link, the third and sixth pictures are really cute!

Now the not-so-goods.
1. Do you shade? This is what we call "lineart"; there is no shading or color.
2. The first picture on your first example is rather weak. The hair is limp, the head is too big for the neck and body, and the strokes are uneven across the board.
3. It seems that every piece has different eye sizes/placement.
4. Pictures of traditional art go for a lot less than a scanned piece or digital, so if you can, get a scanner. Bestbuy has cheap ones.

I think your main focuses are:
1. Map out the proportions you want to use for your art.
2. Learn how to shade and color. This is a big step and might take a long time. I think I'll put up some tutorials about it.
3. Dabble in the art of using the correct pencils.

Good luck!

I appreciate your critiques, thank you c: !

I'm not completely new to art so I do know the different between lineart and shading, though I don't shade. All the extra lines and whatnot or what might appear to be a feeble attempt in shading is just the extra lines I have from sketching haha.
As for traditional art, I doubt I'll get into, I only do sketches with a pencil on paper. Before my art hiatus, I did all my art digitally o:

But all your tips are really helpful ; u ; thank you!

Toki of Crown Royal
I appreciate your critiques, thank you c: !

I'm not completely new to art so I do know the difference between lineart and shading, though I don't shade. All the extra lines and whatnot or what might appear to be a feeble attempt in shading is just the extra lines I have from sketching haha.
As for traditional art, I doubt I'll get into, I only do sketches with a pencil on paper. Before my art hiatus, I did all my art digitally o:

But all your tips are really helpful ; u ; thank you!

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Alright. Just know that you won't be able to sell art for much if it's just a picture of it like you have. I personally would not buy it in this state, but if it were digital or scanned then I would, maybe for about 500-800mil. c:

a busted radio

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

I appreciate that you do redlines. I might start doing them too but I'm not sure that it'll help; I'm not a master artist myself.

Ice-Cold Sweetheart

13,075 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Hero 100
"I abide to the Constructive Criticism rules and promise to be kind to everyone."
^ Just in case I needed to write this in the first post.....
>.< I hope I am doing this right...
Anyways...I'm not really here to critique.....I'm more of a lurker...or at least I can chat with people to keep the place alive? >.<
I saw this thread yesterday but never got around to posting here...
*O* Such a great idea! Hope all goes well in here. ^^
On another note...how are you today? ^^

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas