Welcome to Gaia! ::

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
xlove_buttonx

Just tell him that you don't want one right now and that you appreciate his being so thoughtful. you really would just like some furniture or appliances. Even a fish is a nice solution like someone pointed out. If you are not interested, you do not need to have an animal that could go to a home of someone who really wants one.

*pssst* read everything else... fish are not a good solution.... fake fish are......

Beloved Genius

Mistress of Rain
xlove_buttonx

Just tell him that you don't want one right now and that you appreciate his being so thoughtful. you really would just like some furniture or appliances. Even a fish is a nice solution like someone pointed out. If you are not interested, you do not need to have an animal that could go to a home of someone who really wants one.

*pssst* read everything else... fish are not a good solution.... fake fish are......

lol! ok.. I guess I didnt read everything I just skimmed.

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
xlove_buttonx
Mistress of Rain
xlove_buttonx

smile tis okay, with the talking we have done, I figure you to be a little bit more understanding than a few people that have posted saying "get a fish!" so you would understand where the regulars are coming from when they say no... XD

Beloved Genius

Mistress of Rain
xlove_buttonx
Mistress of Rain
xlove_buttonx

smile tis okay, with the talking we have done, I figure you to be a little bit more understanding than a few people that have posted saying "get a fish!" so you would understand where the regulars are coming from when they say no... XD

ya.. Fish do take some work.. if she really just does not want to take care of anything then a fake/virtual pet is the way to go (: lol

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
Asshatting
Moth Feathers
Rosalina Thorne
If he won't listen to you, tell him to get you a goldfish. They're cheap, and aside from needing to clean its tank once in a while, they're pretty low-maintenance.

No!

Fish are one of /the/ highest maintenance pets you can get, not to mention one of the most expensive to care for.
A single goldfish requires at least a 30 gallon tank with a /strong/ filter, and even then a 30 gallon tank is really too small and would need to have frequent water changes in order to maintain it.

They're not that high maintenance. I have 10 goldfish in a large tank, probably 36 gallons or so and it has only been cleaned twice this entire year. The water is pretty clear still, but our filter is top notch.

Before that, I had 6 goldfish in a smaller tank with a sub par flilter. I doubt the tank was even 15 gallons. None died in that span of 5 months. I bought four more when I bought the large tank from a yard sale. The thing about goldfish are that they are hardy little fish. They require almost no maintenance. Our koi fish in the back pond are even more hardy. They still outdoors all winter and don't get fed again until late march.

Sorry, but your tank goldfish are being taken care of horribly. A single goldfish requires a 30 gallon tank alone, let alone ten of them! And despite the overstocking you've only done water changes /twice/ this year (even for normally stocked tanks, water should be changed at least once a week to every two weeks). You can have a filter rated for a 30,000 gallon tank, go ahead, but overstocking is overstocking.

I don't know about your pond fish, but I do know about tank fish, and I can tell you that your tank fish are suffering.

Just because they're hardy doesn't mean they need to be treated horribly.

8,350 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Megathread 100
I have seriously enjoyed your guys input, as it has been unanimous that fish are not easy if I want to take care of this animal. What is the easiest?

It needs to be alive because I am great with kids, he is considering popping the question but thinks that if he doesn't see me dealing with an animal he can't prove i'm not pretending that I love kids. Apparently a Nanny for handicapped children for 6 years isn't proof enough.

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
pathons
I have seriously enjoyed your guys input, as it has been unanimous that fish are not easy if I want to take care of this animal. What is the easiest?

It needs to be alive because I am great with kids, he is considering popping the question but thinks that if he doesn't see me dealing with an animal he can't prove i'm not pretending that I love kids. Apparently a Nanny for handicapped children for 6 years isn't proof enough.

There are no easy animals to take care of. Cages need to be clean, littler boxes need to be scooped, dogs need to be walked and their poos picked up, aquriums need cleaned and water chagnes and tested.

If your guy can't handle you not wanting an animal and thinks that mean you don't want kids then he has some issues to get over.

8,350 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Megathread 100
Mistress of Rain
pathons

There are no easy animals to take care of. Cages need to be clean, littler boxes need to be scooped, dogs need to be walked and their poos picked up, aquriums need cleaned and water chagnes and tested.

If your guy can't handle you not wanting an animal and thinks that mean you don't want kids then he has some issues to get over.

I'm not posting because we have problems. I am ready to put effort into an animal I was just wondering which animal would be the easiest kind of effort to introduce into a busy schedule. maybe I should ask what kind of activities to incorporate into all types of animals. then I can make an educated decision from there.

Dangerous Lover

Why get something that you don't want? Would you have a baby that you didn't even want, and raise it just because your boyfriend gave you one? It's the same with pets; if you don't want it neither it nor you will be happy. If you really need something, you could get a type of bug. I hear beatles are very common pets in japan.

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
pathons
Mistress of Rain
pathons

I'm not posting because we have problems. I am ready to put effort into an animal I was just wondering which animal would be the easiest kind of effort to introduce into a busy schedule. maybe I should ask what kind of activities to incorporate into all types of animals. then I can make an educated decision from there.

What about a snake?
My reasoning: Snakes are /extremely/ low maintenance. Feed them once a week, once every two weeks for some, and you're fine. You could go on vacation for a month and your snake would be a-okay. You can handle snakes as much as you want, or you could not handle them at all, it's completely up to you (which means your schedule can get busy/non-busy and things would be all right). Just make sure their environment is set up correctly. Remember snakes do /not/ need to be fed live animals, in fact it's best if they're fed frozen.

Another option is a pair or trio of female mice.
Reasoning:
Mice are short-lived (so not a lot amount of commitment required from you, in case you change your mind and decide you at this moment cannot handle a pet). You can keep a trio of females in a ten gallon tank. They're mostly 'watch but don't touch' kinds of animals, but they can be handled as well if you want to.

Another option is a hamster- Syrian hamsters should be kept single, dwarf hamsters need to be kept in multiples. They can be handled.

Dangerous Lover

Moth Feathers

Another option is a hamster- Syrian hamsters should be kept single, dwarf hamsters need to be kept in multiples. They can be handled.

Sorry this question is off-topic, but could dwarf hamsters say, become aggressive if kept alone?

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
letter on the clouds
Moth Feathers

Sorry this question is off-topic, but could dwarf hamsters say, become aggressive if kept alone?

Do you think I care about going off-topic? I go off-topic /all/ the time. Lol. The way I think of it, a thread is a thread, it's a place for discussion, and as long as it's a discussion it's on topic to me. xD

Well, first, keep in mind that the Chinese dwarf hamsters are a little bit 'weird' in comparison to the other dwarves, and often need to be kept solitary (very rarely it can work out, but usually doesn't, particularly for males). So if it's a Chinese, then I would not be surprised at all if they were aggressive.

As for other dwarves being kept alone and then turning out to be aggressive toward other hamsters because of it...no clue. I'd /like/ to say that a social animal will crave company no matter the lack of company in their past, but I'm just speculating and do not know for sure.

Dangerous Lover

Moth Feathers
letter on the clouds
Moth Feathers

Do you think I care about going off-topic? I go off-topic /all/ the time. Lol. The way I think of it, a thread is a thread, it's a place for discussion, and as long as it's a discussion it's on topic to me. xD

Well, first, keep in mind that the Chinese dwarf hamsters are a little bit 'weird' in comparison to the other dwarves, and often need to be kept solitary (very rarely it can work out, but usually doesn't, particularly for males). So if it's a Chinese, then I would not be surprised at all if they were aggressive.

As for other dwarves being kept alone and then turning out to be aggressive toward other hamsters because of it...no clue. I'd /like/ to say that a social animal will crave company no matter the lack of company in their past, but I'm just speculating and do not know for sure.

Ah, lol. When I saw that they are best in multiples I was thinking, "that would make so much sense as to why every dwarf hamster I've ever had has been friendly in the store, then attacked me when I took it home alone!"

8,350 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Megathread 100
letter on the clouds
Why get something that you don't want? Would you have a baby that you didn't even want, and raise it just because your boyfriend gave you one? It's the same with pets; if you don't want it neither it nor you will be happy. If you really need something, you could get a type of bug. I hear beatles are very common pets in japan.

I think there are tons of teenage moms just doing that? But on that note I would love the animal I just haven't ever had any before and was asking for advice from people who do? But people seem to be very biased, you don't grow up with animals you have no chance at having one seems to be the input I'm getting? What is a good starter pet for a young women?
letter on the clouds
Moth Feathers
letter on the clouds
Moth Feathers

Ah, lol. When I saw that they are best in multiples I was thinking, "that would make so much sense as to why every dwarf hamster I've ever had has been friendly in the store, then attacked me when I took it home alone!"

I have a little dwarf hamster who is all alone. I couldnt afford two, so I had just bought the one. Ive had him for 3 years now but he's never been really aggresive. Only time Ive been bitten is because my fingers smelt like food. razz
I do know that if I where to try and introduce another dwarf hamster now there would be fights between them as he has always been alone. I try to visit him everyday, and his cage is in my room. He is old now though, so I havent been seeing him as much... sad (the poor guy, hes always sleeping)

My plan is, once he goes, ( sad ) Im going to get two more... smile

What about a bird? Like a parrot or something? I know they are tons of work to take care of, and a far amount of money... but they can be tons of fun. Especially the ones that can talk. razz My co-worker has one, (cant remember what kind of bird he is) but you can have a pretty funny conversation with him when he's in a talkative enough mood. razz

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff