Welcome to Gaia! ::

8,350 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Megathread 100
My boyfriend wants me to choose an anmial that he can buy me for a pet. I need one that is easy, I have a very busy lifestyle and have never had an animal before.

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
pathons
My boyfriend wants me to choose an anmial that he cn by me for my apt but i dnt lik them. Any advcideas on wht pet I should let him get me?

If you don't like them they tell him no. It isn't fair to the animal to be given to someone that will just resent them thus reslting in poor care (even if you don't mentally think you are you will)

Sparkly Gekko

7,225 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Well since you don't like pets then tell him to get you a pet rock or a video game or something you need like an appliance. Everyone needs a good blender. I would be lost if i didn't have a blender, i make awesome cappuccino milkshakes.

8,000 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • First step to fame 200
If you don't want a pet then don't let him get you one. Its not like you need one. You could use the money for something better.

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
tell him a rock or one of those fake fish tanks with the plastic fish that swim around.

if you dont want a pet then why on earth does he want to get one for you? doesnt that boy listen?

Romantic Shopper

9,050 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Friendly 100
If he won't listen to you, tell him to get you a goldfish. They're cheap, and aside from needing to clean its tank once in a while, they're pretty low-maintenance.

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
Rosalina Thorne
If he won't listen to you, tell him to get you a goldfish. They're cheap, and aside from needing to clean its tank once in a while, they're pretty low-maintenance.

No!

Fish are one of /the/ highest maintenance pets you can get, not to mention one of the most expensive to care for.
A single goldfish requires at least a 30 gallon tank with a /strong/ filter, and even then a 30 gallon tank is really too small and would need to have frequent water changes in order to maintain it.

I like the idea another poster said, about a glass bowl with plastic fish. One of my elementary school teachers had one of those, it was pretty cute.
Or, an aquarium sim for a computer wouldn't be a bad idea either. But no live animals!

Romantic Shopper

9,050 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Friendly 100
Moth Feathers
Rosalina Thorne

No!

Fish are one of /the/ highest maintenance pets you can get, not to mention one of the most expensive to care for.
A single goldfish requires at least a 30 gallon tank with a /strong/ filter, and even then a 30 gallon tank is really too small and would need to have frequent water changes in order to maintain it.

I like the idea another poster said, about a glass bowl with plastic fish. One of my elementary school teachers had one of those, it was pretty cute.
Or, an aquarium sim for a computer wouldn't be a bad idea either. But no live animals!

Ouch. Sorry about me being wrong...

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
Rosalina Thorne
Moth Feathers
Rosalina Thorne

No!

No, it's okay. Fish are also one of the most misunderstood animals. xD

Dapper Werewolf

Tell him to get you a Nintendog and now they come with cats to!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKqR7iO1RHo&feature=relmfu

Liberal Codger

Moth Feathers
Rosalina Thorne
Moth Feathers
Rosalina Thorne

No!

To be honest, a gold fish is a horrible idea, they're meant to be pond fish. They need heavy filtration, they're nasty, dirty, ammonia creating little buggers. BUT, the most easy animal to care for in the history of ever is a betta. Seriously, it is incredibly hard to kill a betta. You put him in a little glass bowl with some pretty rocks, you get a net and a canister of food, you change his water every month, bada boom. Easiest pet in the world. HOWEVER, if you don't want a pet, you need to be firm with him and tell him NO I DON'T WANT A PET, I DON'T LIKE ANIMALS. If you're not a pet person, you need to make sure he realizes that.

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
Ayamae Akahana
Moth Feathers
Rosalina Thorne
Moth Feathers
Rosalina Thorne

No!

To be honest, a gold fish is a horrible idea, they're meant to be pond fish. They need heavy filtration, they're nasty, dirty, ammonia creating little buggers. BUT, the most easy animal to care for in the history of ever is a betta. Seriously, it is incredibly hard to kill a betta. You put him in a little glass bowl with some pretty rocks, you get a net and a canister of food, you change his water every month, bada boom. Easiest pet in the world. HOWEVER, if you don't want a pet, you need to be firm with him and tell him NO I DON'T WANT A PET, I DON'T LIKE ANIMALS. If you're not a pet person, you need to make sure he realizes that.

You can't put a Betta in a bowl. Bowls are for soup, not fish. I like calling fish bowls 'torture chambers', because that's what it is.

Honestly, I really dislike the Betta's image as an 'easy' pet, because it's not true, and they most certainly are /not/ the easiest pet in the world. They need a heater and a filter and their tanks regularly siphoned. They need a varied diet not just of pellets but of live or frozen food. They need their water parameters checked regularly. Just getting a measily 5 gallon tank all set up and cycled for a Betta can cost upwards of 80 dollars, even assuming that the tank and hood was for free.

Fish are actually HARD pets to take care of. You're creating a miniature ecosystem within a tank, you have to set up /everything/, versus terrestrial animals who breathe our atmosphere and we don't need to set up every aspect of their lives.

Invisible Citizen

Ayamae Akahana
Moth Feathers
Rosalina Thorne
Moth Feathers
Rosalina Thorne

No!

Moth beat me to it. :c

Betta's require a heater, a filter is also an excellent idea. They should be kept in at least a 2.5g aquarium as well.
Betta's can live in small shitty as ******** bowls but they won't thrive and their life will dramatically decrease in length.

Liberal Codger

Moth Feathers
Ayamae Akahana
Moth Feathers
Rosalina Thorne
Moth Feathers
Rosalina Thorne

No!

You can't put a Betta in a bowl. Bowls are for soup, not fish. I like calling fish bowls 'torture chambers', because that's what it is.

Honestly, I really dislike the Betta's image as an 'easy' pet, because it's not true, and they most certainly are /not/ the easiest pet in the world. They need a heater and a filter and their tanks regularly siphoned. They need a varied diet not just of pellets but of live or frozen food. They need their water parameters checked regularly. Just getting a measily 5 gallon tank all set up and cycled for a Betta can cost upwards of 80 dollars, even assuming that the tank and hood was for free.

Fish are actually HARD pets to take care of. You're creating a miniature ecosystem within a tank, you have to set up /everything/, versus terrestrial animals who breathe our atmosphere and we don't need to set up every aspect of their lives.

I've had like 10 bettas over the course of my life, and they've all been perfectly fine in bowls. <.< My current betta is in a two gallon bowl. They get about 90% of their air from the surface of the tank, and about 10% from the surrounding water. And as long as you keep them in a warmer room, room temperature water is fine. And I've always fed mine regular pellets, and they've been perfectly fine. They live nice, perfectly healthy long lives. My record lifespan for a betta is 5 years. My current one is 2 years, and he's still going perfectly strong. So either I have incredibly good freakin' luck with bettas, or I'm actually doing something right.

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
Ayamae Akahana
Moth Feathers
Ayamae Akahana
Moth Feathers
Rosalina Thorne

I've had like 10 bettas over the course of my life, and they've all been perfectly fine in bowls. <.< My current betta is in a two gallon bowl. They get about 90% of their air from the surface of the tank, and about 10% from the surrounding water. And as long as you keep them in a warmer room, room temperature water is fine. And I've always fed mine regular pellets, and they've been perfectly fine. They live nice, perfectly healthy long lives. My record lifespan for a betta is 5 years. My current one is 2 years, and he's still going perfectly strong. So either I have incredibly good freakin' luck with bettas, or I'm actually doing something right.

Or it could be testament to the fact Bettas are hardy fish and that they're able to survive in spite of poor care, not because of.

Bettas require at least 2.5 gallon /tanks/ because that's the smallest size that can be safely heated. It has absolutely nothing to do with oxygenation (for some reason people always seem to think that, I have no clue why).
Room temperature is not fine. Bettas are tropical fish and need temperatures 75-79. Remember, water is cooler than ambient temperatures; if your room is 75 degrees, the water temperature can be as low as 72. In order to keep a Betta tank at the proper temperature via ambient air alone, you'd need your room to constantly be in the 80s. Can I say 'ouch' when it comes to the heating bill?

Plus, ambient temp depending on whether it's daytime or nighttime, the placement of any windows and the position of the sun shining through those windows, even stuff like the color of the walls (white reflects, black absorbs) or if any fans are going. Fish thrive on stable temperatures and you can't get any more stable of a temperature than having a heater in the tank, which automatically adjusts to the proper temp no matter the ambient temperature in the room.

Not to mention, sick Bettas need even more heat, up in the lower 80s. Are you going to keep your room 85 degrees whenever your fish gets sick?

Heaters are good things. Bettas are tropical fish, they need heaters. Even a heater set on low is great.

Do you know how many people I know who feed junk food like Science Diet and Purina to their dogs and cats and end up with a 'oh, he's healthy!' animal? Listen, we do not know everything about Betta nutrition. We don't even know everything about human nutrition! Be realistic, can a pellet provide ALL of a fish's nutritional needs? No.
Not to mention, even the best pellets contain not-so-good ingredients like wheat and soybean, totally unnatural parts of a Betta's diet. Bettas should have a varied diet just like any other animal.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff