Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magical Fatcat

10,050 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Generous 100
I'm sorry you guys. I can't help but laugh right now after reading all of this. rofl

also thank you for the answers. I don't like it personally since ive been feeding my cats pure vita and natural balance. I told her she should get something better because the better quality in food makes them need less and she won't need to buy as much but she's so bull headed.

Latrans

11 Cardinal11

Shanna66

I was thinking about feeding mine raw but I'm a bit iffy I guess since I'll be having a baby soon. Does anyone know if it could be harmful to have around children? I'm sure that question is silly as idk what lol

Magical Fatcat

10,050 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Generous 100
Nakamura Momoko
KyokiNeko
Got a friend that has started feeding her cat and dog this food. What do you guys think about it?

Truthfully anything you can buy at the grocery store is not going to be good for your pet, unless it is fresh meats. I have a dog with a lot of allergies to commercial dog food. I combat that by feeding her a homemade food that my vet helped me put together.

1.5 lbs. of steak ( I use the breakfast steak kind, that is the cheapest)
1.5 lbs. of pork ( I use the boneless pork chops)
2.5 lbs. of chicken breast
One small bag of frozen peas
Half a bag of frozen sliced carrots
One large sweet potato diced into cubes
Half a cup of oatmeal (Binder)
Quarter cup organic potato flakes (Also a binder)
About 2 cups of water

I precook the potato in the oven just until it is softened. I dice the meats into cubes and cook them in a cup of water. When that is all cooked I add the carrots. I just let them heat up. Then I pour it, liquid and all into a big mixing bowl, along with the potato, peas, oats, and potato flakes. I add water until I get a decent consistency. I separate it into zipper bags and freeze half of them.

I have a small dog so this lasts me about two weeks. All together is takes like thirty to forty-five minutes to do everything. It costs me about twenty-five dollars a month.

For cats you would have to do some research, I don't feed mine like this because he is on a special diet food from the vet.

I know this already I feed mine pure vita and natural balance. I won't touch anything from the convenient store unless i really need wet food, in which case I'll buy fancy feast until i can get more natural balance. I was just asking what everyone else though about it is all since it'sa new product.
KyokiNeko
I'm sorry you guys. I can't help but laugh right now after reading all of this. rofl

also thank you for the answers. I don't like it personally since ive been feeding my cats pure vita and natural balance. I told her she should get something better because the better quality in food makes them need less and she won't need to buy as much but she's so bull headed.

Latrans

11 Cardinal11

I was thinking about feeding mine raw but I'm a bit iffy I guess since I'll be having a baby soon. Does anyone know if it could be harmful to have around children? I'm sure that question is silly as idk what lol

Yes it is dangerous to have an animal on a raw diet when there are small children around unless you never allow the dog around the baby. Raw foods contain salmonella and listeria, and those bacteria can be transferred through saliva fecal matter.

Magical Fatcat

10,050 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Generous 100
Nakamura Momoko
KyokiNeko

Latrans

11 Cardinal11

Yes it is dangerous to have an animal on a raw diet when there are small children around unless you never allow the dog around the baby. Raw foods contain salmonella and listeria, and those bacteria can be transferred through saliva fecal matter.

Nooo I meant for the raw stuff to be around children not the animals. I know many people with animals on a raw diet that are healthier than my cats are, probably by a lot. They look a lot healthier and everything. My only concern is that it might not be very safe around children. Cats and dogs are both carnivores just like the other animals in the species, so raw would probably be much better for them than bagged food and canned food.
edit since I'm on my phone and don't feel like fixing this
Lol oops I misread that haha II've been up since 5 30 this morning for work xD
KyokiNeko
Nakamura Momoko
KyokiNeko

Latrans

11 Cardinal11

Nooo I meant for the raw stuff to be around children not the animals. I know many people with animals on a raw diet that are healthier than my cats are, probably by a lot. They look a lot healthier and everything. My only concern is that it might not be very safe around children. Cats and dogs are both carnivores just like the other animals in the species, so raw would probably be much better for them than bagged food and canned food.
edit since I'm on my phone and don't feel like fixing this
Lol oops I misread that haha II've been up since 5 30 this morning for work xD

As long as you're exercising proper handling procedures you and any children should be perfectly fine. It's not like you're going to make your household vegetarian/vegan and/or only buy pre-cooked meats while the child is super young, nor are you going to let the child help you with handling the pets' meals; most parents teach their young ones to leave the pets be while they're eating and to stay out of/away from litter boxes, and cats typically don't care for having babies/toddlers in their faces.

Eloquent Gawker

Nakamura Momoko

Yeah cause it's not like kibble ever gets recalled for salmonella, amirite?

Anyway, OP, as long as you are careful about sanitizing after feeding- just as you have to be when preparing meat for cooking- you will be fine, and so will your children. Fun fact: I live with an immunocompromised person, and he has no problem with our raw fed dogs and cats. Been feeding raw for 8 years.
KyokiNeko

Latrans

11 Cardinal11

Shanna66

I have a kid and have fed raw nearly as long as she has been alive. lol Proper handling is the most important. Be smart, obviously, and don't let your kid have access to the dog (or cats) food, clean surfaces and bowls after use, and don't let you child play in litter boxes or in dog poop (as much as the child wants to). We sometimes wipe off faces and paws, but not all the time. We've had serverly immocomproised people in and out of the house, kids, elderly, and even myself have been sicksick( unrelated) and not once has anyone ever gotten sick from the animals being raw fed. Even kibble fed dogs routinely shed nasty pathogens in their stool.
Savage Destiny
Nakamura Momoko

Anyway, OP, as long as you are careful about sanitizing after feeding- just as you have to be when preparing meat for cooking- you will be fine, and so will your children. Fun fact: I live with an immunocompromised person, and he has no problem with our raw fed dogs and cats. Been feeding raw for 8 years.

I never ever promote the use of kibble. It isn't even remotely nutritious plus it is dangerous. But since you want to argue over things. Homecooked diets never contain harmful bacteria because they have been cooked. Plus unless your dog is already healthy it can be deadly to switch to a raw diet. I would rather feed nutritious foods based on a meal plan designed by my vet than take the chance on a fad. Which is what raw feeding is. Yes it is a tradition in the dog race industry and in sled dogs but both of those are controversial. Please leave me alone. I have made my point. Raw diets can be dangerous. It is dangerous and even people who promote raw diets say to be extremely careful and to monitor the health of your dog. If you don't believe it is ever dangerous in any situation, then you need to check your priorities. If you never check your pets levels to see if all the needs are being met, then you need to check your priorities. Just looking healthy is not enough. If you get offended by this then you obviously are not an animal lover, nor do you care about the quality of life for your pets.
hemura Momoko
Savage Destiny
Nakamura Momoko

I never ever promote the use of kibble. It isn't even remotely nutritious plus it is dangerous. But since you want to argue over things. Homecooked diets never contain harmful bacteria because they have been cooked. Plus unless your dog is already healthy it can be deadly to switch to a raw diet. I would rather feed nutritious foods based on a meal plan designed by my vet than take the chance on a fad. Which is what raw feeding is. Yes it is a tradition in the dog race industry and in sled dogs but both of those are controversial. Please leave me alone. I have made my point. Raw diets can be dangerous. It is dangerous and even people who promote raw diets say to be extremely careful and to monitor the health of your dog. If you don't believe it is ever dangerous in any situation, then you need to check your priorities. If you never check your pets levels to see if all the needs are being met, then you need to check your priorities. Just looking healthy is not enough. If you get offended by this then you obviously are not an animal lover, nor do you care about the quality of life for your pets.

I'm going to be honest here. I'm immune compromised. I have a genetic disorder and as a result have pretty much no immune system to speak of. I'm actually currently on bedrest and have been for a week due to catching a virus from my dad... one he got over within a day.

4 of my 5 carnivore pets eat raw. Three of them since before I discovered my problem. I own snakes, and snakes kind of have to eat raw rodents (I personally feed frozen/thawed). I kiss my snakes. Like... all the time. I handle one of them while I'm eating sometimes. I handle their food, their poop, and themselves on a regular basis. Snakes are known carriers of salmonella.

Do you know how many times I've gotten salmonella over the years? None. And I've been tested, many times, because of my immune and digestive issues.

My fourth carnivore is my raw fed dog, who licks me, who's poop I scoop, who's food I handle. Look how not bothered by salmonella I am.

(Btw, your tidbit about homecooked never having bacteria is, well, laughably false. Everyone in the foods industry knows that bacteria starts growing on meat as soon as it cools, and you can't feed your pet boiling hot food, so uh. Especially if you are using a fridge to store food prepared in advance... there's bacteria on your food. Sorry. Germs happen. How do you think stuff goes bad in the fridge? Also, ever heard of cross-contamination?)

(Oh, also, uh. Kibble is cooked too... And has a good track record of recalls due to salmonella.)

OP, as long as you practice safe handling habits with the meats (like you would anyway unless your family is vegan) and are, well, sensible about the poop (yeah it's pretty much never a good idea to put dog poop in your mouth which is how salmonella on poop would spread...) you and your child will be safe. Creed is a puppy and still aims for my mouth sometimes. No salmonella here and trust me, if someone was going to get sick from this I would definitely be on that list.

Funny enough, the only dog that's ever made me sick was a kibble fed dog that I passed strep throat back and forth with as a kid.

Dedicated Squatter

i work in a health food store for pets called natural pawz and if i had to remember only one thing about my training , its that purina and other common store pet food brands (pedigree , beneful , things like that) are not to be trusted

the right food is going to depend mostly on the pet and a little on your lifestyle , so the owner would have to explain a little about their pets to pinpoint what food would be the best

at least make sure the cat is on some kind of canned food as well , not just kibble . cats need more moisture in their diets and a bowl of water isnt going to give them enough of it . cats that live on kibble diets are extremely vulnerable to UTIs because of this

Devoted Inquisitor

Kibble has nutrients.

/biologist.

Eloquent Gawker

Nakamura Momoko
Savage Destiny
Nakamura Momoko

The diet you feed has glaring nutritional imbalances. Which you would know if you had studied nutrition at all.

I will continue to feed raw as advised by my vet, who thinks all dogs should eat raw. To my dogs, one of which had horrific skin and digestive issues before raw. Who has been doing great for 8 years on raw, with yearly fabulous blood work to prove it. Actually, my two cats and other dog on raw also always have good blood work.

Thanks for playing! lol
Savage Destiny
Nakamura Momoko
Savage Destiny
Nakamura Momoko

The diet you feed has glaring nutritional imbalances. Which you would know if you had studied nutrition at all.

I will continue to feed raw as advised by my vet, who thinks all dogs should eat raw. To my dogs, one of which had horrific skin and digestive issues before raw. Who has been doing great for 8 years on raw, with yearly fabulous blood work to prove it. Actually, my two cats and other dog on raw also always have good blood work.

Thanks for playing! lol

I also have blood work done and everytime since then they have come back healthy in all areas. My dog was nearly bald, had swollen eyes with scratches and deep claw marks when I got her from the pound. I tried everything beforei switched to home cooked. My bet does not recommend raw for her because of the immune system she has. My first vet actually tried to convince me to have her put to sleep because she has so many allergies. I refused and found another vet. My vet said that raw would be dangerous and could kill her. She is perfectly healthy on the diet we are on. Just because we differ in opinions does not mean one of us is right and the other wrong. I only am saying that the raw diet isn't for everyone and it certainly isn't for every dog.
And for you ever loving information I happen to be a nutritionist. Sooooo.... boo on you.

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
so long as you keep the feeding and prep areas clean neither you or anyone else should get sick. lots of raw feeders will put down a blanket and have their pet eat on that or eat outside. i just have stowrm eat on the kitchen floor then clean it afterwards

you are more likely to get sick from going out to eat than from feeding your pets raw smile

Dapper Phantom

12,000 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Nakamura Momoko
I happen to be a nutritionist. Sooooo.... boo on you.

One who "works" with nutrition is a lot different than a nutritionist. I find it hard to believe that you have the expertise and education to be nutritionist, especially if 1 year difference isn't enough in your eyes for Latrans to be a biologist =P Nutritionist lines of education take just as long to get as research biology ones.

Soooo, to quote you:

Nakamura Momoko
I honestly do not believe you so.... who cares?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff