Welcome to Gaia! ::

11 Cardinal 11

I also do not see the point of having blood tests down simply for diet? I don't go to get my blood tested for my own diet.

If you have ever had a blood test done you nutrient levels were tested. It is standard. If there was a problem you would have been told. I suggest a test because you are feeding a diet with no added vitamins and minerals and the meats and little vegetables you feed may not be providing everything that is essential. It should be done even if there are no low levels just to be sure. Dogs cannot tell us if something is low, and often dogs 'hide' symptoms because of a primal instinct to not appear ill. Us humans can go to the doctor when we are feeling off while dogs are unable to communicate to us hey my eyes aren't working to well today maybe i'm not getting enough of this..... It is important to determine if the diet you have him on is sufficient.

Also, your dog is very cute. He looks like an overgrown Manchester Terrier. My sister has one named Beans.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

This is my WInnie

User Image

Devoted Inquisitor

Nakamura Momoko

I honestly do not believe you so.... who cares?

Good point!

But from where I sit, you sure do sound silly!
Latrans
Nakamura Momoko

Good point!

And from where I sit you sound even sillier than I possibly could.

Plus you are younger than me which would make it highly unlikely that you are already a biologist.... so....?
I'm not going to lie here, I really and truly do LOATHE with a passion the "No! My dog is ffffiinnee!" because everything is *fine* until theres actually a problem. However, and I'm not toteing it as 'well the dogs are fffiinnee' but I have done extensive research into what proteins offer what benefits, the vits and mins of various organs, etc etc. Its why we go out of our way to feed such variety (ordering duck and rabbit soon wootwoot) and closely moniter the dogs, it is about knowing thy dogs and heck, not even every kibble agrees with every dog! smile Its silly to think every single dog needs the exact things every other dog (allergies, weight, age, energy levels.. so on and so forth). I'm feeding what has dramatically improved my dogs and are on sharp look outs for changes. I didn't make up my ratios and have a huge community at my backing to be able to go to with my issues (and my vet, of course!). You feed what you're comfy with and I'll surely feed what I'm okay with! <3

Also, we were told she's a German Shepherd/Rottweiller mix (but who knows, its just what I go with). She's 60lbs on the average day and 26inches at the shoulder. Leggy lady.
Nakamura Momoko
Latrans
Nakamura Momoko

Good point!

Plus you are younger than me which would make it highly unlikely that you are already a biologist.... so....?

As someone that has spoken to Latrans outside of gaia and such and 'known' them for a while (You've been around for atleast 2+ years.. God.. hadn't realized the pets form has exsisted)

Uh.. She is what she says! wink

Devoted Inquisitor

Nakamura Momoko
Latrans
Nakamura Momoko

Good point!

Fair enough! :3

But I look at stuff like this after taking courses on phylogenetics and think 'hell yes.' Pretty solid evidence that all dogs share a more recent common ancestor than all dogs and wolves.

But wolves and dogs are super closely related.

And did you know about this? Pretty cool. This is also neato bandito: wikilink.

Enjoy your super cool day!

Devoted Inquisitor

I am 25. lol

eta: I do not have a PhD. I am still in school. But I work in a biology lab doing biology working on my graduate degrees so.
11 Cardinal 11
I'm not going to lie here, I really and truly do LOATHE with a passion the "No! My dog is ffffiinnee!" because everything is *fine* until theres actually a problem. However, and I'm not toteing it as 'well the dogs are fffiinnee' but I have done extensive research into what proteins offer what benefits, the vits and mins of various organs, etc etc. Its why we go out of our way to feed such variety (ordering duck and rabbit soon wootwoot) and closely moniter the dogs, it is about knowing thy dogs and heck, not even every kibble agrees with every dog! smile Its silly to think every single dog needs the exact things every other dog (allergies, weight, age, energy levels.. so on and so forth). I'm feeding what has dramatically improved my dogs and are on sharp look outs for changes. I didn't make up my ratios and have a huge community at my backing to be able to go to with my issues (and my vet, of course!). You feed what you're comfy with and I'll surely feed what I'm okay with! <3

Also, we were told she's a German Shepherd/Rottweiller mix (but who knows, its just what I go with). She's 60lbs on the average day and 26inches at the shoulder. Leggy lady.

Yes definitely not a Mannie.... lol. TOOOOOOOO big of a dog. They weigh just over a quarter of that. She is a cutie. I was just saying to be sure that you aren't missing things. I know my dog is getting adequate nutrients because it's been tested.
Latrans
Nakamura Momoko
Latrans
Nakamura Momoko

Good point!

But I look at stuff like this after taking courses on phylogenetics and think 'hell yes.' Pretty solid evidence that all dogs share a more recent common ancestor than all dogs and wolves.

Thank you for the links. I like evidence.... But this is evidence of my findings... not yours. At least the wiki pages are, I will read the PDF file. It is all about jackal-dog hybrids besides the jackal-wolf hiybrid which is speculation. It has never been observed in nature. DNA has been found but there is no way of knowing the exact way that specimen was obtained or whether humans had a hand in developing that strain they tested. It is all speculation. In fact the only successful hybridization I have found is the Coywolves. The red wolf species is a Coywolf. All red wolves have coyote and wolf DNA. It is an interesting science.

Devoted Inquisitor

Nakamura Momoko
Latrans
Nakamura Momoko
Latrans
Nakamura Momoko

Good point!

Thank you for the links. I like evidence.... But this is evidence of my findings... not yours. At least the wiki pages are, I will read the PDF file. It is all about jackal-dog hybrids besides the jackal-wolf hiybrid which is speculation. It has never been observed in nature. DNA has been found but there is no way of knowing the exact way that specimen was obtained or whether humans had a hand in developing that strain they tested. It is all speculation. In fact the only successful hybridization I have found is the Coywolves. The red wolf species is a Coywolf. All red wolves have coyote and wolf DNA. It is an interesting science.

I have no idea what you mean by 'developing that strain.' Anyway, you can read the paper in plos1 here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3416759/pdf/pone.0042740.pdf

I like the word findings here. Very sciencey and fun.

Dapper Phantom

12,000 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Nakamura Momoko

Red wolves are not a hybrid species. They are an independent species that has maaaaaaaybe experienced minor introgression by modern coyotes, but they do, in fact, share a common ancestor with modern coyotes and wolves. Not all red wolves have modern coyote specific dna.

The study you're likely referring to was done in 2011, but was re-analysed by two separate studies in 2012 (here and here)
Latrans
Nakamura Momoko
Latrans
Nakamura Momoko
Latrans
Nakamura Momoko

Good point!

I have no idea what you mean by 'developing that strain.' Anyway, you can read the paper in plos1 here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3416759/pdf/pone.0042740.pdf

I like how they could look at the Canis aureus and Canis lupis and see automatically that they were different but they can't do the same with Canis familiaris.

Devoted Inquisitor

Nakamura Momoko
Latrans
Nakamura Momoko
Latrans
Nakamura Momoko

I like how they could look at the Canis aureus and Canis lupis and see automatically that they were different but they can't do the same with Canis familiaris.

Sorry, what?
Roland Gridley
Nakamura Momoko

Red wolves are not a hybrid species. They are an independent species that has maaaaaaaybe experienced minor introgression by modern coyotes, but they do, in fact, share a common ancestor with modern coyotes and wolves. Not all red wolves have modern coyote specific dna.

The study you're likely referring to was done in 2011, but was re-analysed by two separate studies in 2012 (here and here)

Thank you. Very happy to see new research. Will look at it momentarily.
Latrans
Nakamura Momoko
Latrans
Nakamura Momoko
Latrans
Nakamura Momoko

Sorry, what?

Dd you even read the file you posted????

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff