Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magical Fatcat

10,050 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Generous 100
Got a friend that has started feeding her cat and dog this food. What do you guys think about it?
KyokiNeko
Got a friend that has started feeding her cat and dog this food. What do you guys think about it?

Truthfully anything you can buy at the grocery store is not going to be good for your pet, unless it is fresh meats. I have a dog with a lot of allergies to commercial dog food. I combat that by feeding her a homemade food that my vet helped me put together.

1.5 lbs. of steak ( I use the breakfast steak kind, that is the cheapest)
1.5 lbs. of pork ( I use the boneless pork chops)
2.5 lbs. of chicken breast
One small bag of frozen peas
Half a bag of frozen sliced carrots
One large sweet potato diced into cubes
Half a cup of oatmeal (Binder)
Quarter cup organic potato flakes (Also a binder)
About 2 cups of water

I precook the potato in the oven just until it is softened. I dice the meats into cubes and cook them in a cup of water. When that is all cooked I add the carrots. I just let them heat up. Then I pour it, liquid and all into a big mixing bowl, along with the potato, peas, oats, and potato flakes. I add water until I get a decent consistency. I separate it into zipper bags and freeze half of them.

I have a small dog so this lasts me about two weeks. All together is takes like thirty to forty-five minutes to do everything. It costs me about twenty-five dollars a month.

For cats you would have to do some research, I don't feed mine like this because he is on a special diet food from the vet.
Nakamura Momoko
KyokiNeko

Truthfully anything you can buy at the grocery store is not going to be good for your pet, unless it is fresh meats. I have a dog with a lot of allergies to commercial dog food. I combat that by feeding her a homemade food that my vet helped me put together.

About 2 cups of water

I precook the potato in the oven just until it is softened. I dice the meats into cubes and cook them in a cup of water. When that is all cooked I add the carrots. I just let them heat up. Then I pour it, liquid and all into a big mixing bowl, along with the potato, peas, oats, and potato flakes. I add water until I get a decent consistency. I separate it into zipper bags and freeze half of them.

I have a small dog so this lasts me about two weeks. All together is takes like thirty to forty-five minutes to do everything. It costs me about twenty-five dollars a month.

For cats you would have to do some research, I don't feed mine like this because he is on a special diet food from the vet.

As a raw feeder that recipe is very strange to me eek You don't use bone? Where does the calcium come from? What about vitamin A from liver?

An average meal on our end is edible raw bone from various forms (I have deer ribs thawing tonight), boneless red meat (deer hind quarter and beef chuck roasts thawing), then various organs; I have brain and liver on hand right now.

Magical Fatcat

10,050 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Generous 100
Nakamura Momoko
KyokiNeko

About 2 cups of water

I told her I didn't think it was very good to be buying for her animals. She went with it anyways.
11 Cardinal 11
Nakamura Momoko
KyokiNeko

About 2 cups of water

As a raw feeder that recipe is very strange to me eek You don't use bone? Where does the calcium come from? What about vitamin A from liver?

An average meal on our end is edible raw bone from various forms (I have deer ribs thawing tonight), boneless red meat (deer hind quarter and beef chuck roasts thawing), then various organs; I have brain and liver on hand right now.

I have family that is immunosuppressed and choose not to feed raw due to the chance of bacteria. She takes a daily vitamin, hardypet complete, so that gives her the calcium and vitamin A. I choose not to use organ meat that often due to it being expensive on my budget. But during hunting season I get deer liver and heart but I cook it. I will probably never feed raw. Honestly, raw foods are great for the bigger breeds and the ones bred for a task like hunting, but I think companion dogs like my little hybrid are actually omnivores not carnivores. It's all about breeding and what the animal was raised for when it comes to diet, not their ancestors. Like Darwin's finches, bring an animal out of it's natural habitat and it changes, diet included.
I've just never been able to wrap my mind around cooked diets.. GRANTED I have a recent grasp on complete raw diets.. So uh.. But I do know plenty of folks with small dogs that mow through raw with absolutely no problems. ^_^ To each their own.
xd
11 Cardinal 11
I've just never been able to wrap my mind around cooked diets.. GRANTED I have a recent grasp on complete raw diets.. So uh.. But I do know plenty of folks with small dogs that mow through raw with absolutely no problems. ^_^ To each their own.

Think of it this way... you have to take into account the breed's reason for even existing.

A Chihuahua, is one of the smallest and oldest breeds from the Americas. It originated from the Mexican Techichi, and is a mix of Chinese dogs brought over by the Spanish priests and the Techichi. Both of the modern Chihuahua's ancestors were considered sacred and were kept only by the church and royals. They most likely got the best foods and develop a nutrition profile from it. They weren't work animals and were primarily companion animals. The idea there is that they ate what their owner ate. Compared to a wolf, its "common' ancestor, it is so far from the pure line that it can barely be said that they are related besides being part of the Canis group. Yes you can argue that because of them being related that they need the same nutrients, but it can also be argued that they don't.

Now let's say, Huskies, Malamutes, Laikas, Shepards, and Wolfdogs. Very close in resemblance to wolves, so you can say that yes their nutrition profile would be better matched with the wolves but with some extra vegetable matter. They were bred to be work dogs. Now I am sure that when their breed had been established that feeding them only meat was not an important thing for their owners. They were basically livestock. They had a purpose but they probably got scraps from the table, old food, and the innards. So by that notion, you can say that because meat was a rich commodity to humans that any salvageable meat wasn't tossed to the dogs. So the domestic dogs more closely related to wolves most likely lived off of mainly vegetables, unwanted organ meats, bones, and the occasional rich meaty meal. Plus, contrary to popular belief wolves do NOT only eat meat. They also eat berries, insects; they have even been know to dig up worms. Any meat wolves get is mainly rabbit, bird, carrion, and the occasional fresh kill.

So when deciding on the food you feed your animal you have to take into account the situation in which the breed originated. Companion/lap dogs would have gotten a richer and more human nutrition profile while work dogs would have developed a more versatile nutrition profile. It is most likely, and proven in the domesticating of Silver Fox, that through human interaction with an animal changes physically and nutritionally.

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
i just have to ad din that a dog is a dog no matter what the breed and they still have the same insides designed to do the same things. if you want to cook your dog's meals thats fine and i have seen a lot of healthy dogs who eat cooked food. but just keep in mind that a pom's insides are no different than a husky

the only exceptions i can think of may be wild mixes like wolf and coydogs and maybe dingos, i know they tend to do better on all raw but im not sure if thats because of their digestive system or if they are just more sensitive to the fillers we use

now that ive gotten that out of my system
any purina product is ok. there are much worse things than purina, but there are also a crapton of things that are better. i dont use purina but if someone gave me a bag for free i would still use it

Devoted Inquisitor

11 Cardinal 11
I've just never been able to wrap my mind around cooked diets..

You take food, and you apply heat. This begins the breakdown process and kills germs. lol
Latrans
11 Cardinal 11
I've just never been able to wrap my mind around cooked diets..

You take food, and you apply heat. This begins the breakdown process and kills germs. lol

Herp.

I more meant to me its not as straight forward as raw. The recipes seem so much more complex, I wouldnt even know where to start to be sure the diet is balanced.

Eloquent Gawker

Nakamura Momoko
cut out all the ridiculousness

You do realize that big dogs being carnivores and little dogs being omnivores would make them different species, right?

Aged Girl

Answer the OP's question.
What do you all think of Purina Beyond?

I haven't tried it, but I think Purina is trying to go towards a more natural route with their Beyond line, which is great.
Savage Destiny
Nakamura Momoko

You do realize that big dogs being carnivores and little dogs being omnivores would make them different species, right?

That comment is null and void. Human being are all of the same species and a good portion live life with different eating habits. All domesticated dogs are only grouped together of the fact that they are domesticated dogs.

Devoted Inquisitor

Nakamura Momoko
All domesticated dogs are only grouped together of the fact that they are domesticated dogs.

... because they are the same species.

Eloquent Gawker

Nakamura Momoko
Savage Destiny
Nakamura Momoko

That comment is null and void. Human being are all of the same species and a good portion live life with different eating habits. All domesticated dogs are only grouped together of the fact that they are domesticated dogs.

Incorrect. Humans make different dietary choices than each other. You are talking about dogs having different biological requirements.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff