Welcome to Gaia! ::

Who's your favorite Reikai Tentai?

Hiei 0.30721393034826 30.7% [ 247 ]
Kurama 0.44402985074627 44.4% [ 357 ]
Yusuke 0.15671641791045 15.7% [ 126 ]
Kuwabara 0.092039800995025 9.2% [ 74 ]
Total Votes:[ 804 ]

Logic is the analysis of arguments. That's why I was explaining that your argument that "It can work either way, really" is invalid (which it is), not whether or not the original premise was true (true and invalid aren't the same thing).
But, at any rate, super happy I'm going to be starting my new job in two weeks. And that I'm done with finals (uggghhhh....)
That's good to hear.

And you hurt my brain.
Yeah it's a bad habit of mine. <_< Anyway what's new with your life?
MidnightRising
Yeah it's a bad habit of mine. <_< Anyway what's new with your life?

Not much going on, really. Just working. I've been watching and reading "Loveless" again lately, though. I find myself enjoying it for different reasons now than I did when I was 13, so it's a bit weird. sweatdrop
You?
Started my new job as Technology Coordinator. Pays pretty well for a student job, I suppose.

Why are you enjoying it this time?
MidnightRising
Started my new job as Technology Coordinator. Pays pretty well for a student job, I suppose.

Why are you enjoying it this time?

First, I guess should explain (vaguely) what the story is and what themes it has, just in case you haven't heard of it.
So, the story focuses on 12 year old (or is he 11?) Ritsuka Aoyagi, who is going through a lot of psychological problems relating to the murder of his older brother, Seimei (THAT, and his mother is always abusing him because of his amnesia that occured when he was 10. The cause is unknown: over night, he just forgot about himself).
Jump to 21 year old Soubi Agatsuma, who, upon Seimei's will, "becomes Ritsuka's".
Okay, confusing, but hear me out. There's this separate world where everyone is born with a "name" that tells not only a person's true nature, but it also assigns soulmates to one another. Seimei's true name is "Beloved: one who is loved by all". Soubi was also named "Beloved". Ritsuka was born under the true name of "Loveless: one without love". Ritsuka, so far, does not have a person named "Loveless", so Seimei commanded Soubi that upon Seimei's death, Soubi must provide Ritsuka with the love that he lacks.

(There is also this other interesting thing in this realm. Everyone in the story is born with cat-ears and cat-tails, which disappear when someone loses their virginity)

The main themes of the story include: the power of language, loss of innocence, and what it means to "love" someone (seeing as Ritsuka is a child, he doesn't quite understand "love", while Soubi came from a very dark environment and he has a warped sense of "love" )

I started reading the manga and watching the anime when I was 13. My reasons for liking it back then was mostly because of the "romance" (though there's not much of it). I thought, at the time, that it was rather risque and interesting, thinking, "Oh my God, he's dating a 21 year old! That's so awesome!"
But as I've gotten older and I've read it again, I find myself more intrigued with the story itself, and now the romance kind of creeps me out on a psychological level (especially in the beginning), though the creepiness does subside later on.
(I will further explain if need be, but this message is already pretty long as it is)
That does seem a little... odd. Why are you more intrigued with it now?
MidnightRising
That does seem a little... odd. Why are you more intrigued with it now?

I'm interested in the realm portrayed in the story (that being, 'what makes someone an adult and what makes someone a child'). In a realm where everyone is born with something that can immediately just disappear the moment you have sex with someone, people are forced to confront that very question about adulthood and maturity. There are older characters that still have their "ears", and while some may consider it responsible, other closed-minded people see it as childish. There are also relatively younger characters that lost their "ears", and even though they still go to middle school or high school, it's seen as adult-like. The psychology in this is not only ridiculous, but surprisely, relatable. Even in our own society, we're faced with the very same problems.

Another thing I find psychologically intriguing is the "relationship" between Ritsuka and Soubi. In the very beginning, Ritsuka doesn't quite understand love, nor does he even like the concept behind it. He believes that "love" is something that is too complex to understand, and thus, it should never be used too loosely, which everyone around him (including Soubi) does. Soubi, on the other hand, came from a rather warped environment, and sees "love" almost like it is created to control ones surroundings (I think...). As if to say, 'if you say "I love you" enough times, it will eventually be true', because that is how the power of language works. Soubi always said "I love you" to Ritsuka, even after Ritsuka discovered that Soubi only came to him because Seimei told him to.

Yeah, it's pretty psychologically damaging relationship; but eventually, it morphs into something meaningful for the both of them.

(The manga hasn't finished yet, so I can't give an opinion on their overall relationship, mostly because from the direction it's going now, I'm not even sure if the two of them end up together in the end...)

Yeah, it's different, but if you have an open-mind, it's an interesting read. heart

EDIT: Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention this part. Remember that part in the story where everyone is born with a "name" that binds soul mates together? When I was 13, I thought it was cool and I wished life was as simple as that. But now that I'm almost 22, everytime I read "Loveless", I can't help but ask this question:
"Are there a lot a people who would find comfort in knowing who their soul mate is?"
It's a question I've asked myself for years, and even to this day, I can't answer it.
"There are older characters that still have their "ears", and while some may consider it responsible, other closed-minded people see it as childish."

Hah, the funny thing is is I would have switched it. I would've said closed-minded people consider it responsible, while some people see it as childish.

And no, I'd hate to know who my soulmate is. In part because I don't really want to meet her, and in part because i don't want to take the fun out of it.
MidnightRising
"There are older characters that still have their "ears", and while some may consider it responsible, other closed-minded people see it as childish."

Hah, the funny thing is is I would have switched it. I would've said closed-minded people consider it responsible, while some people see it as childish.

And no, I'd hate to know who my soulmate is. In part because I don't really want to meet her, and in part because i don't want to take the fun out of it.

The only reason I say that is because, in the story, sex plays an important part in someone's relationship. If I'm not misunderstanding the story, basically it's saying that "sex" is what truly brings two people together, not just their names. For example, Ritsuka is "Loveless" and Soubi is "Beloved". It's considered taboo to be together since they have different names, but they try anyway. BUT, during the story, there have been times when Soubi was in danger, and Ritsuka couldn't sense it, supposedly because they weren't "connected" yet. That's all I can guess. confused

How come you wouldn't want to meet her?
I... see. Alrighty then, I'm just gonna leave that alone.

Would probably distract me more from my other goals. It's surprisingly hard to be a double major, a math minor, and learning two languages while simultaneously being with your soulmate.

By the way, is that your picture in your profile? You seriously grew up!
MidnightRising
I... see. Alrighty then, I'm just gonna leave that alone.

Would probably distract me more from my other goals. It's surprisingly hard to be a double major, a math minor, and learning two languages while simultaneously being with your soulmate.

By the way, is that your picture in your profile? You seriously grew up!

Whyyyyyy???? You have something else to say, don't you? xd
(Btw, I don't really believe in that theory, you know. I'm only making guesses since the story isn't finished. And the whole story is about fighting the 'norm', that being the whole sex thing, and trying to see the real picture)

Why would it be distracting? If she was your soulmate, then there wouldn't be any challenges. There would be a mutual understanding between the two of you. To me, that's not distracting; that's easy.

And yes, that's me. 3nodding
Have I really changed that much?
My older picture was from when I was 17, and this newer picture was taken during last Christmas (age 21). I didn't think I aged that much.
It's just... I dunno, weirder than what I watch. It seems like an odd little romcom.

Well I mean I would be torn. On one hand, I'm planning on travelling abroad for work (already have my application in with a few European NGOs that operate mostly in the Middle East), and I may decide to cancel those plans to stay with her. But nothing changing at all would be more like... my soul-fwb. That would be super, I'd love to meet her.

And yeah you've changed a TON. Actually you're really, really pretty.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff