Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why are you here?

I'm here for the poetry guide! 0.45789839944328 45.8% [ 658 ]
I'm here for the critiquing guide! 0.18510786360473 18.5% [ 266 ]
I'm here because someone else pointed me here. 0.059151009046625 5.9% [ 85 ]
I'm here for the gold. Didn't it say it had a poll? 0.29784272790536 29.8% [ 428 ]
Total Votes:[ 1437 ]
<< < 1 2 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 >

6,550 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Forum Regular 100
AlambiqueCiel
purpleflower127
Could you guys tell me a really good place where my poetry will be recognized without being copied or stolen any sites or any threads on gaia plz i want to go somewhere with this writng passion. heart

Umm...hello? Why else would people come here?

׺°”˜`”°º× And she said... ׺°”˜`”°º×»-(¯`v´¯)-» ·.·´¯`·)»

Actually, good luck in finding somewhere online that doesn't give that possibility. YOU'RE ONLINE where everyone can look you up and get every little bit of information from you. Everything.
Try fanstory.com. They atleast give you credit for it and it's also a site that offers writer's a publishing deal and has cash contests and other goodies like that.
There are no sites. You just hope to God one day you're not reading something you wrote in the poetry section of a used book store.

«(·´¯`·.·«-(¯`v´¯)-« ׺°”˜`”°º× forever's a long time... ׺°”˜`”°º×
purpleflower127
Could you guys tell me a really good place where my poetry will be recognized without being copied or stolen any sites or any threads on gaia plz i want to go somewhere with this writng passion. heart

Define "recognized" in the way you use it, please. smile

Do you mean it as in "Hey! I know that poem! Therefore, I must love it!", or as in "Hey! When I write, it is very nearly like this, therefore it MUST be good, and MUST be poetry, therefore, I LIKE this person AND their poetry!", or as in "Um, this needs work before it will be considered: a great poem, a good poem, even a poem at all," or as in "If I could write like this, I would have retired by now...to a small village in Irkutsk, where the likelihood that I would be eaten by bears is greater than the likelihood that I will produce more writing."

This website here, friend, at Gaia Online, is a place where you can do what you wrote, if the basic idea has not changed in the years that I've been coming here.

The basic idea was, when I first started coming here: Just post your writing. People will respond to it, either to your liking or not.

NOW. IF you are interested in improving your writing AT ALL, the basic idea here, at this website, is: post your writing SO THAT the writing may be examined and you may be taught how to write more strongly, so that your messages, WHATEVER they may be, may become stronger.

If you are JUST interested in posting your poetry, and you are NOT interested in improving it at all, then just post it here. (In this website, not this thread! Lol.) The majority of people here are similar, and you will find many, many, many, many, many others doing the same thing you are doing.

There are a few...let's say...to be honest about it...probably...10% maximum of the posters here, who really care about how they write. (We ALL care about WHAT we write, or else we would not be WRITING ABOUT IT! RIGHT? Right.)
10% may be too many. It MAY only be 1%. (It might even be more than 10%! Maybe!) I do NOT KNOW. However, I DO know that those who CARE about the quality of their writing tend to find one another. It's not that hard to do.

If you have questions based on what I've written, feel free to ask me, either here in this thread, or in a PM to me. However, I will likely take from between 5 to 7 days to reply, as I do not own a computer, and can only get to the library sporadically. I wish you good luck, and good writing.

450 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Booksie.com
Eliteskills.com
Everypoet.net

To name a few good sites.

Gracious Prophet

5,900 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
Glad to see a few are still on topic -_-;; seriosly guys: more on topic, less flameing, trolling, rude comments, before all of that this was a pretty helpful thread, we so need a mod in here.
No one's any further "off-topic" than you are, right now. lol

Gracious Prophet

5,900 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
Sand in your Majina

Actually no, I'm trying to get things back on topic, this isn't a place for little chitchat, that's for the chatterbox, this was for discussion related to helping people improve poetry, while also asking questions and giving detailed answers as to what could be expected, as well as help for future critique-rs. And I had found it very helpful until things started veering off topic. Which i think its about time for this topic to be closed anyway.
Vetis_Kamiioa
Sand in your Majina

Actually no, I'm trying to get things back on topic, this isn't a place for little chitchat, that's for the chatterbox, this was for discussion related to helping people improve poetry, while also asking questions and giving detailed answers as to what could be expected, as well as help for future critique-rs. And I had found it very helpful until things started veering off topic. Which i think its about time for this topic to be closed anyway.

It's a sticky, which always has helpful tips in it. They don't close stickies. I believe.

Dapper Hunter

I've actually found many helpful things in in this thread. However, I do agree that we should get along and speak words intended for this thread. I realize that this is my first post and I don't get much say but I feel as though people are no longer being helped.
Lovers Never Tell
AlambiqueCiel
purpleflower127

Actually, good luck in finding somewhere online that doesn't give that possibility. YOU'RE ONLINE where everyone can look you up and get every little bit of information from you. Everything.
Try fanstory.com. They atleast give you credit for it and it's also a site that offers writer's a publishing deal and has cash contests and other goodies like that.
There are no sites. You just hope to God one day you're not reading something you wrote in the poetry section of a used book store.

your gonna be coppied anywhere, even just showing your friends that arent online, if it is a good poem someone will take your run for the money

6,550 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Forum Regular 100
HannahTheKitty
Lovers Never Tell
AlambiqueCiel
purpleflower127

your gonna be coppied anywhere, even just showing your friends that arent online, if it is a good poem someone will take your run for the money

Good job. *claps* I don't know how may times I've seen plagerism throughout the writer's forums. It doesn't matter what you do with it. If it's good and posted, published, whatever, it'll be copied. But that is a risk every writer knows and any one worth his weight is willing to take when sharing it. Otherwise, what's the point in writing.

I find critiquing terribly difficult; in my creative class we have to critique each other's prose and poems, but it's usually almost impossible for me to be honest, because then I come out like an utter p***k. It's easier on the internet though - I can be as honest as I want because it's all anonymous.

I also wonder - if I'm not an expert at writing poetry, how can I possibly have any right to criticise another's?

But this forum should be quite useful for practise...
Umm, here's a poem I wrote a few months ago. O: Tell me what you think, please? It's my first ever sonnet and my favorite poem out of all the poems I've ever written. [And lemme tell you, that is a LOT of poems. xD]

Never Cold
Your warm hand clasps my own cold lonely hand
while we walk slowly under the sweet moon,
crossing the night as we walk the dark land,
and as we walk I pray this won't end soon.
There are shadows everywhere around us,
like there once was inside my very heart.
I hope this warmth won't leave me though it must,
and I tighten my hold in fear we'll part.
You turn to me and smile like you mean it;
my heart starts and stop at the very sight.
All of a sudden the shadows seem lit;
with you my world never seems like the night.
My love for you can just never be told.
All I say is with you it's never cold.

Comments please? biggrin
lol @ everypoet.c**t
Hypi
I find critiquing terribly difficult; in my creative class we have to critique each other's prose and poems, but it's usually almost impossible for me to be honest, because then I come out like an utter p***k. It's easier on the internet though - I can be as honest as I want because it's all anonymous.

I also wonder - if I'm not an expert at writing poetry, how can I possibly have any right to criticise another's?

But this forum should be quite useful for practise...

While absolutes are foolish to apply to the whole of poetry, as in saying one poem is "perfect", while another is not, it is possible to recognize basic grades or levels of poetry.
The mind-numbingly incorrect pose of "poetry is emotion and therefore no one can say what is or isn't poetry!" is essentially a way for the brainless to pretend they have brains.
If I sit at a keyboard and press the "t"button for five minutes, because I'm pissed off and have no way to express it other than through the first random persistence I can find, then the collection of "t"s: tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt, etc, does not "become a poem" because I was outraged while pressing the "t" button.

If you disagree, and I've pissed you off, please, by all means, spend 5 minutes holding down the "t" button, print out your result and read it, as written, at your local poetry group, as your latest poem written while you were in an intensely strong, overwhelming rage!

You'll likely have to fight to finish your poem in the midst of:
1. Being treated for a seizure.
2. Being laughed at for attempting to impersonate a politician attempting to tell the truth for three minutes in a row.
3. Elected president by virtue of your persistence in the face of overwhelming stupidity and the denial of reality.

However, at no point will anyone with a rational mind declare you "Poet!" If they do, it's my sincere hope that a third party will bring a loaded shotgun into the conversation, and reduce the discussion to ventriloquism, the shotgun being the puppet. eek

My point is: There is a difference between dumb animal poetry written as a reflex without any thought, and poetry written with language as a consideration. Poetry requires language, just as playing football requires action. Yes, considered poetry can be savage, and savage poetry can also be intelligent. That's the writer's job. That's the essence. And when they overlap here, the results are wonderful to behold.

You have the "right to criticize" by virtue of your wanting to know something. (Even if what you want to know is, "Is this person really...REALLY...that stupid?!?" Yes, they are.) If you read a poem and you don't understand it, then it's your right to ask about it. If you do understand it, then it's your right to ask about it, as well!

If you feel uncomfortable critiquing, then my advice, meant honestly and calmly is: don't. At least, not in the way you might be thinking of, right off the bat.

Ask questions instead, and you'll often find the answers you need. Here's the difference.

Don't say:
"Hey. You screwed up your spelling of this word here, and you repeated it forty-six times in a fifteen-line poem. Your grammar is weak and your idea didn't go anywhere. It's repetitive, boring and my pet goldfish apparently has a better grasp on its state of existence than you do on yours. Your poem went nowhere, and it took me nowhere as well. Just so I know...was that your intention?"

Instead, say:
"Is your misspelling of that word intentional? Why did you use it so many times? (At this point you can think about asking about authors, and often...whether the "poet" even reads!) Have you considered other words? If so, why did you reject them? I'd like to know, as I'm learning about poetry."

Put them on the spot, politely, but plainly.

The replies you get, using the second approach, will tell you, immediately:
1. This is a person to be taken seriously, of which there are some at this website...but...let's be real...it's not the majority.
2. This is someone whose posts to ignore: future, current and past.

It's that simple. When someone's looking for knowledge, it is here at this website.
When someone is looking to avoid learning, that too, is at this website, mixed in with the rest.
Some degree of fun comes in weeding one from the other, and the drama comes from one group insisting that they belong in the other group, without effort, without work, without language, without...poetry.

Also, sticking to threads where critiques are invited in "any" sense whatsoever, is a good idea. "Tell me what you think!" is an invitation. "This is my newest pome! Is it good?" is also an invitation, although possibly to a beheading of a different sort than Nabokov wrote of.
stare

Have fun. It's great fun here, actually. I've been here for years, and the levels of intelligence and levels of lack of intelligence are amazing. Just don't get caught in the never-ending drama. Stick to the writing, and you'll be cool. There are some really damned fine poets here, but if you get distracted early on, you may miss them.

surprised

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces