Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lonely Genius

Wizard Random Sempai

In my opinion, "evil" is a state of selfishness that precludes the opportunity or ability to feel empathy or to understand how others would feel about your actions.

Essentially it's the same as being a psychopath.

A person can only TRULY be said to be evil if this is their default mode of thinking.

The interesting part of this definition is that it's defined by those outside of the one taking the actions, meaning that something such as a hurricane can be personified as "evil" in spite of not having any morals of its own.

That's an interesting and self-supporting point of view.
By my own definition, I thought Evil represents the most disruptive elements to a given culture at any point in time - the elements or aspects of behavior that a given society finds most destructive or counterproductive. Each society decides what those elements are on their own. In the case of western America, that would be absolute selfishness among other things... I find myself wondering if there have been cultures where extreme selfishness was not considered taboo. They may have existed.

Myself, I walk on a thin line where I understand how others feel about my actions, but I'm not necessarily inclined to care. I don't feel pressing needs to resolve my behavior to match what other people think is right.

I can make the classic argument "society doesn't understand me"... which suggests that I am close to evil.

At first I thought our definitions were disparate, but they may be close to one another.

Familiar Nerd

8,950 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Nerd 50
Shockfrost
Wizard Random Sempai

In my opinion, "evil" is a state of selfishness that precludes the opportunity or ability to feel empathy or to understand how others would feel about your actions.

A person can only TRULY be said to be evil if this is their default mode of thinking.

The interesting part of this definition is that it's defined by those outside of the one taking the actions, meaning that something such as a hurricane can be personified as "evil" in spite of not having any morals of its own.

That's an interesting and self-supporting point of view.
By my own definition, I thought Evil represents the most disruptive elements to a given culture at any point in time - the elements or aspects of behavior that a given society finds most destructive or counterproductive. Each society decides what those elements are on their own. In the case of western America, that would be absolute selfishness among other things... I find myself wondering if there have been cultures where extreme selfishness was not considered taboo. They may have existed.

Myself, I walk on a thin line where I understand how others feel about my actions, but I'm not necessarily inclined to care. I don't feel pressing needs to resolve my behavior to match what other people think is right.

I can make the classic argument "society doesn't understand me"... which suggests that I am close to evil.

At first I thought our definitions were disparate, but they may be close to one another.

In a fashion they are close to each other, it's just I try to place a slightly more objective view on it whereas your definition is subjective to a society.

Tipsy Inquisitor

Wizard Random Sempai
Shockfrost
Wizard, I recently came to the conclusion that I am Evil.
To ratify and/or dispute this;

How would you define Evil, personally?

I want to sidetrack just a tad to add that psychopaths do not necessarily do evil things, as there are many very successful businesspeople who fall quite high on the range of psychopathy. Psychopaths who do more violently evil things tend to fall on the range of those with lower IQs, and impulse control, as well as a weak practice of delayed gratification.

I know it's only just skirting the topic of evil as a concept, but I still feel like it's important to mention that the majority of psychopaths actually have a positive contribution to society, though the "evil" ones(as in any group), are much more noticeable.

Tipsy Inquisitor

Minjonet the Marionette
Have you ever made a pancake in your rice cooker? What about a cake-cake?
(AEBO)

| Also, to put in my two cents on the subject of peanut butter |
Personally, I have three jars of peanut butter in my pantry and two different kinds of cookie butter.
I don't particularly feel like that's quite enough, though.
I've been wanting to do the rice cooker pancake for WEEKS and keep forgetting to buy ingredients. D:

And what the heck is cookie butter?

Familiar Nerd

8,950 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Nerd 50
kippy_sneeze
Wizard Random Sempai
Shockfrost

I want to sidetrack just a tad to add that psychopaths do not necessarily do evil things, as there are many very successful businesspeople who fall quite high on the range of psychopathy. Psychopaths who do more violently evil things tend to fall on the range of those with lower IQs, and impulse control, as well as a weak practice of delayed gratification.

I know it's only just skirting the topic of evil as a concept, but I still feel like it's important to mention that the majority of psychopaths actually have a positive contribution to society, though the "evil" ones(as in any group), are much more noticeable.

Hm, fair point, probably should have qualified that.

Nostalgic Elder

kippy_sneeze
Recipe
I have not made this recipe, but it gives you an idea of what cookie butter is like. Hmm... I think that I have all of the ingredients...

Tipsy Inquisitor

Kai LittleBlackSmith
kippy_sneeze
Recipe
I have not made this recipe, but it gives you an idea of what cookie butter is like. Hmm... I think that I have all of the ingredients...
@o@ It's so beautiful. And I was going to stop at the bulk food store soon, I could definitely pick up cashews... AND it looks fairly healthy, which is good because I'm going on overtime soon and will need some sweet pick-me-up food for my desk... I think this needs to happen.

Tipsy Inquisitor

Wizard Random Sempai
kippy_sneeze
Wizard Random Sempai
Shockfrost

Hm, fair point, probably should have qualified that.
I'm also a psychology dork and recently read a book titled "The Wisdom of Psychopaths", so I'm all bursting with knowledge that I want to show off. XD
It was an excellent book, by the way. Very accessible language use, too, which is uncommon in a psychology book.

Adorable Entrepreneur

37,440 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Jack-pot 100
This is how you take a selfie, right? whee

User Image

Familiar Nerd

8,950 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Nerd 50
rosaleendhu

User Image

Something like that.

Are you announcing something, or just showing off an awesome ring?

Nostalgic Elder

Wizard Random Sempai
rosaleendhu
myfirstselfie.jpg
Something like that.
Por que no lost dos?

Also: Yay for non-traditional rings!

Adorable Entrepreneur

37,440 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Jack-pot 100
Wizard Random Sempai
rosaleendhu

User Image

Something like that.

I'm doing both, because the ring is perfect, and so is the man. emotion_kirakira

Familiar Nerd

8,950 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Nerd 50
rosaleendhu
I'm doing both, because the ring is perfect, and so is the man. emotion_kirakira

4laugh 4laugh 4laugh

Familiar Star

rosaleendhu
Wizard Random Sempai
rosaleendhu

User Image

Something like that.

Congratulations! biggrin

Nostalgic Elder

Aebo wanna join me in a Robin Williams movie roll avatar theme?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff