H: Bazz-B 0.12464589235127 12.5% [ 44 ]
I: Cang Du 0.10481586402266 10.5% [ 37 ]
J: Quilge Opie 0.022662889518414 2.3% [ 8 ]
K: BG9 0.01699716713881 1.7% [ 6 ]
Z: Giselle Gewelle 0.093484419263456 9.3% [ 33 ]
Other 0.39093484419263 39.1% [ 138 ]
Total Votes:[ 353 ]

doc olden
In my opinion, the prize goes to Takehiko Inoue, creator of Slam Dunk and Vagabond, the latter of which is actually what I'm attributing his sense of realism to. As for uniqueness, in the sense of aesthetic artistry, I'd give it to my man Oh!Great, (specifically when you see his latest series Air Gear), and Kei Machida, the series emblem designer. I hate to sound subjective but if anyone is a true fan of graphic design they will rejoice at the sight of Machida-Sensei's various emblems in Air Gear.

I liked Vagabond (am currently on 113th Chapter) and I am planning on reading Sidooh, another feudal manga that also focuses on samurai life with a similar art style.

I've read Air Gear and Oh! Great's previous work, Tenjou Tenge. His artwork is interesting but still uses some of the 'punk' design that today's anime/manga series have normalized, which isn't a negative thing in my opinion. I still thoroughly enjoyed them, and yes, Machida's designs were pretty well drawn out.

Adventuring Streaker

9,825 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Inquisitor 200
Wow, that is pretty realistic. surprised

What I meant though was compared to other popular shounen manga Bleach is realistic. XD
Belated happy holidays and new year to you guys~

I also love Air Gear's art--although the story has gotten progessively weirder and trippier. Not sure how I feel about that. I do love the way everything is drawn though, as well as Kuroshitsuji, DGM, things like that. I love those artstyles. Amazingly pretty without going overboard into shoujo territory.

Bleach ain't bad either, and I do appreciate the variety that Kubo attempts. At least it's not just a series filled with obvious character-clones in different wardrobes and hairstyles.

Side-note: Whyyy is Trinity Blood taking forever to update? ;-; I miss it so.
Seliece
Side-note: Whyyy is Trinity Blood taking forever to update? ;-; I miss it so.

Trinity Blood?

emotion_awesome

I would make a bad taste "lol writer's dead" troll joke but his friend did step up to help finish the novels and the manga. The manga's still ongoing? Lolwtf? That's cool I guess.
NEEDS MOAR GYOZAS

Trinity Blood?

emotion_awesome

I would make a bad taste "lol writer's dead" troll joke but his friend did step up to help finish the novels and the manga. The manga's still ongoing? Lolwtf? That's cool I guess.

Haha yeah, I knew about that ( crying ) That was a while ago though and the updates were still kept fairly consistent after that. But then it just started trickling off :C Last update was in August 2012, I think.
M a h z a l a

What I meant though was compared to other popular shounen manga Bleach is realistic. XD

Well, if you're trying to compare it with recent series like Naruto, FMA, and One Piece, then yeah, the drawings are more "realistic" in comparison. If you go back thirty years ago or perhaps more, you'll find weekly shounen stories that are surprisingly more detailed than Bleach (those authors must be really passionate about art to do so much for a weekly wage O.o )

Adventuring Streaker

9,825 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Inquisitor 200
Son of Providence
M a h z a l a

Well, if you're trying to compare it with recent series like Naruto, FMA, and One Piece, then yeah, the drawings are more "realistic" in comparison. If you go back thirty years ago or perhaps more, you'll find weekly shounen stories that are surprisingly more detailed than Bleach (those authors must be really passionate about art to do so much for a weekly wage O.o )
Wow, when they came out, I wasn't even born yet. So I have no idea what they could be. *goes and researches*

What I can remember from my childhood is Dragonball Z and Yu-Gi-Oh which were no where near realistic. LOL xd
Here to protest the lack of Mayuri in the poll.

Romantic Lunatic

Good protest.
M a h z a l a
Son of Providence
M a h z a l a

Wow, when they came out, I wasn't even born yet. So I have no idea what they could be. *goes and researches*

What I can remember from my childhood is Dragonball Z and Yu-Gi-Oh which were no where near realistic. LOL xd

Well, one example is Space Pirate Cobra, a Shounen Jump series that started way back in the early '80's. Although it does have very simple designs with a very old sense of aesthetics, it's use of shading and detail can be described as a mix of Tezuka style drawings with old style comics. Fist of the North Star, especially during its last years, ended up having a good art style if you're willing to look past overly-muscled guys.

In terms of recent years, Death Note and Air Gear are what I consider some of the best art I've for shounen.
Agreed, which brings me back to a point I made on here not too long ago: Kubo needs to learn from Takeshi Obata, (the artist of Death et al.), or someone like him.

Oh!Great has been one of my inspirations ever since I started reading Air Gear, although I do admire his work on Tenjou Tenge. Ain't anime grand??
doc olden
Agreed, which brings me back to a point I made on here not too long ago: Kubo needs to learn from Takeshi Obata, (the artist of Death et al.), or someone like him.

Oh!Great has been one of my inspirations ever since I started reading Air Gear, although I do admire his work on Tenjou Tenge. Ain't anime grand??

If you're referring to the storyline of Bleach, I believe it would be Tsugumi Ohba, the actual writer behind Death Note, thought Obata did put in some ideas of his own. I found out that Obata also submitted his own artwork for JoJo's 25th anniversary doing his rendition of Rohan Kishibe, though I'm surprised he didn't fully draw him. Usually Obata loves putting in details and shades in his artwork. Must've been a sketch. But there's a funny thing to note, though. The main villain for JoJo part 4 also happens to be named Kira. Guess what he does?

It's interesting to see Tenjou Tenge because you can actually notice Oh! Great's artwork evolve. Compare Tenjou Tenge at the beginning to its middle and you'll notice his improvement on shading and hue, not to mention proportions (well, except for his female characters). Anime can be grand... provided it doesn't recycle things too much. Like any media outlet, cookie-cutter tweakings can be expected. As I learned from a wise person online: there are no original ideas, only original writers. It all depends on the creator's sense of execution.

Winner

Jesus Christ, I heard some say that Unohana had some dark edge well before this and they were right on the money. And not just because of that "back off" smile either.

A lot of people have been asking for these two to actually fight as well, I can't say I'm not excited about it either.
Indeed, this has been incredibly lampshaded, as tv tropes would say, by the fact she's been shown intimidating the rough-and-tumble members of the 11th Division.

There's just one small thing that doesn't make sense to me: when Shunsui read that "before Yama sought her out", when she was not only a part of the 1st generation Gotei (which would be the strongest gen, so cool) but the de jure 11th Division captain (also cool since she being so made her the 1st Kenpachi.

anyways, I knew it was only a matter of time before Kubo pulls another boneheaded development. Really, Kubo? You just finish giving us Unohana's expose and how she was Zaraki's predecessor and superior in every way and now you tell us that a battle between them is going to end in one of their deaths? Get outta here.

I mean, Zaraki wasn't even the first to name himself something he thought would reflect himself well. He didn't even do it after he was beaten (presumably) by Unohana. Saying that a battle between those two would end in one of their deaths after learning all we have about Unohana would be like saying a battle between Zaraki and Ikkaku would end in one of their deaths. A battle between Zaraki and Byakuya, maybe, but not between Unohana and Zaraki, especially when you consider her skill in dealing with spiritual energy, e.g. kido/healing, which Zaraki completely lacks.

P.S.: am I the only one that thinks Unohana is incredibly hot with her hair down and with that look? She looks like one of those youkai depicted in classical Japanese art when she clashed with Zaraki.

Adventuring Streaker

9,825 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Inquisitor 200
OMG!!! This chapter was crazy, like the whole Unohana and Zaraki part. I honestly don't think one of them might die. She's just kind of "training" him right? XP

Unohana's hair unbraided, and that expression:

User Image

And yes! We get a color spread. I was hoping for one. biggrin

User Image

Renji and Ichigo's outfits look great. I love Kubo's fashion sense! And the rest of the nakama as snow men/women was so cute! XD

Lastly, why in the world is Kon stuck in snow Rukia's body?

User Image

On second thought, I don't wanna even know. XP

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas