Welcome to Gaia! ::

Adventuring Explorer

36,400 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Healer 50
HowlWhiteWind

I try to convince myself otherwise that I am not worthless or a bother or that it's my fault. But it's alot harder than it sounds. I'm working thought 10+ years of feeling like s**t, feeling like I didn't matter to anyone. Slowly working, and I will get there, one day I hope. There are days even now I feel like I don't belong anywhere.
I think everyone feel like the worst beeing in the world sometimes, but its much more ingrained in people with PTSD. Its a part of the illness.

Even if we understand with our logic that it isnt true, it still feels like it. So, to make it clear I just want to say that its a lie our minds are telling us. Youre not a bad person. You dont deserve any of this, but sadly you got it still.

On the good side I agree with Sinful Guilliotine: you sound like youre meeting this head-on which I think is the best sign possible. You have one person supporting you. You can use more supporters but one supporter is pretty good too. You have good signs for recovery.

I was diagnosed in June 2004. Like you, I had one supporter - my mom. I felt like s**t for a long time but now Im feeling fairly well on average.

Ive started working again (which is sensitive since my trauma was work related) and am starting to try to get into my field. Im working on realizing that people arent intending to kill me.

Perfect Trash

HowlWhiteWind

I don't acutally know if thy have a sponsor program in the town I live in. I live in a small town in the country side. I know that everyone in the group is very nice and we act as a family to some degree. I can try talking to my therapist and asking about it. Thank you for bringing it up!

As for my friend who I mentioned. We sadly both don't have cars so I have no way of getting to him and he has no way of getting to me. But hes just...really he is a life saver. He always makes sure that I end of each day having laughed and smiled atleast 2-3 times. At night he keeps our skype call up so that I find comfort. It's a comfort thing, I have to sleep with a call up. It helps me and my friend, makes sure that I have one up. He really is amazing. Even thought we live two hours from eachother and have no way to really be there for eachother physically, we plan to meet up one day. He actually wants to move in together in the future and wants to take care of me. We are in a relationship together to some degree, but we are taking that slowly. I am content right now with him being there for me.

As for my family, I have considered trying to get them to talk to my therapist but it's hard. Like my mother grew up in a time were, everyone needed to work to survive and 'you had no time to be depressed' (I used quotations because it's hard to control depression even if you have a job) My brothers don't really beleive much into depression and think I am bring it on myself and that everything I do is what is making me depressed. Number two is something I haven't considered doing before, so I will consider that acutally!

Thankyou :3
I think it's precisely because your mother doesn't seem to understand the principle of mental illness that it would be helpful for you (and her!) if she talked to someone who has dedicated their life to treating these kinds of illnesses. They are probably in the best place to explain to her that not believing in depression is like not believing in cancer, and if you wouldn't tell a cancer patient to "suck it up and get over it," then that's not appropriate advice for someone with depression, either.

I would consider bringing it up with your therapist, and maybe s/he might have some ideas on how to approach the issue of making your family more tolerant and better-informed.

Shirtless Strawberry

14,800 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Pie Scarface 150
  • Partygoer 500
Hi everyone! I've been here before, posting from time to time but I normally lurk here. I believe I posted my story in the past but a lot has changed since then.

I've suffered from PTSD since childhood but never was properly diagnosed until two years ago. I was traumatized by my abusive father and the hostile environment he has created for my family and I for the past 21 years. However, he abandon my family, left us in the streets, and created a chaotic divorce with my mother that managed to suck my brother and I in the middle of it. The good news is I am seeking help from a therapist that performs EMDR on me.

But I am here seeking advice. I would like some help with how to stop avoiding stressful situations. I tend to push things aside that I considers stress because it too much for me to handle. Things like school, finances, health issues, and other problems I try to not deal with. I think this might be the reason I've had a few random panic attacks but I am not sure. Anyone has good coping mechanizing that might help? I'm trying to branch out from depending on Xanax.

I'm a bit nervous about posting but I'm willingly to take the risk. I'm hoping to also branch out and bond with others like me.

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200
Canterellare
Hi everyone! I've been here before, posting from time to time but I normally lurk here. I believe I posted my story in the past but a lot has changed since then.

I've suffered from PTSD since childhood but never was properly diagnosed until two years ago. I was traumatized by my abusive father and the hostile environment he has created for my family and I for the past 21 years. However, he abandon my family, left us in the streets, and created a chaotic divorce with my mother that managed to suck my brother and I in the middle of it. The good news is I am seeking help from a therapist that performs EMDR on me.

But I am here seeking advice. I would like some help with how to stop avoiding stressful situations. I tend to push things aside that I considers stress because it too much for me to handle. Things like school, finances, health issues, and other problems I try to not deal with. I think this might be the reason I've had a few random panic attacks but I am not sure. Anyone has good coping mechanizing that might help? I'm trying to branch out from depending on Xanax.

I'm a bit nervous about posting but I'm willingly to take the risk. I'm hoping to also branch out and bond with others like me.

the key to reducing stress is not to avoid stressful situations, but to embrace them. I know that seems counterproductive, but trust me on this.

I don't mean to actively seek them out, of course. for example, I didn't get any better at handling my stress by becoming an alcoholic. I actually got worse. but the fact is that avoidance and indulgence are two sides of the same coin. it's still obsession, and neither one will benefit you at becoming better at handling it.

when stressful situations arise, the best thing you can do is ask somebody to help you handle it. and by help, I don't have them do it for you, but have them guide you through it. I think one of the hardest things to do in western society is ask for help... we're often taught that it;s shameful to be anything other than a completely independent lone wolf. but the way I see it, lone wolves die in the wild.

Shirtless Strawberry

14,800 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Pie Scarface 150
  • Partygoer 500
Chieftain Twilight
Canterellare

the key to reducing stress is not to avoid stressful situations, but to embrace them. I know that seems counterproductive, but trust me on this.

I don't mean to actively seek them out, of course. for example, I didn't get any better at handling my stress by becoming an alcoholic. I actually got worse. but the fact is that avoidance and indulgence are two sides of the same coin. it's still obsession, and neither one will benefit you at becoming better at handling it.

when stressful situations arise, the best thing you can do is ask somebody to help you handle it. and by help, I don't have them do it for you, but have them guide you through it. I think one of the hardest things to do in western society is ask for help... we're often taught that it;s shameful to be anything other than a completely independent lone wolf. but the way I see it, lone wolves die in the wild.

Yeah I understand what you mean. I indulgent myself with food whenever I become stress and that did not work out well.

I never really thought of having someone help guide me through the stressful situation. My immediate thought is to isolate myself during that time in order to not panic, lash out, or cause anymore stress on myself and others. But what you are saying sounds reasonable though the thought of embracing it does scare me a bit. That I won't lie about.

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
Canterellare
Chieftain Twilight
Canterellare

Yeah I understand what you mean. I indulgent myself with food whenever I become stress and that did not work out well.

I never really thought of having someone help guide me through the stressful situation. My immediate thought is to isolate myself during that time in order to not panic, lash out, or cause anymore stress on myself and others. But what you are saying sounds reasonable though the thought of embracing it does scare me a bit. That I won't lie about.

our natural inclination to hide and avoid will create as much added stress as indulgence will, I promise. I did that in the past, as well. it was a disaster.

fear is good. it means it's worthe it. nothing worth it is ever easy or free. if you're afraid, it's because you have something to lose. so don't kill it. protect it. fight for it. be brave enough to open up to someone you can trust. have someone guide you through stressful situations.

Rainbow Lover

Touching base.
Tomorrow is one month from my accident. Arousal isn't as extreme as the first week but it's still there. Still hoping that goes away with time. Been handling my flashbacks pretty well (I'm not new to flashbacks, I've had them with other traumas). Keeping a trauma journal. I'm finding I have a lot of guilt for all of my traumatic events. About halfway through with "I Can't Get Over It" Which I bought years ago but never read. That's helping. Trying to stay positive.

Perfect Trash

Canterellare

I think Chieftain has given you excellent advice on this.

Some kinds of stress can be avoided, but when we're talking about things that won't just go away, like school and money management and health (which are things that are going to cotinue to affect you at least in some way for the rest of your life) and things that need to be dealt with at some point, trying to avoid them just makes them way more complicated, and when you reach the point where you simply can't continue avoiding them, it's become a whole big mess that's about a thousand times more stressful than it was to begin with, and you still have to deal with it.

Believe me, I know. I was a master of the bury-your-head-in-the-sand technique of "dealing" with things that were uncomfortable for me to deal with, and I can't think of a single instance in which it ended well. Obviously in the short term, it wasn't so bad. It would often buy me weeks or months or even years where I didn't have to think about it or deal with it, but eventually, I would reach the inevitable point where there were simply no more places to run from whatever it was, and every single time, it had become exponentially more complicated every time I'd avoided it.

Finding someone who can help you through dealing with these things is extremely helpful, whether it's a family member or a close friend or a romantic partner or whoever you have available to you in your life who cares about you. I think you'll also find that when you ask those people for help with these kinds of things, they're usually more than happy to offer you whatever assistance they can, whether that just means giving you a ride and/or waiting with you at the doctor's, or sitting down with you with all your bank statements and helping you get your finances organised, or whatever else you need. Usually, it's the mere act of asking for help that is the hardest part. Once you get over that hump and actually get down to the nitty-gritty stuff, most people seem to find that all these things they've been running away from for ages really aren't that bad if you just stop panicking and DO IT, and of course if you have supportive people helping you through it. And even when that stuff is unpleasant, it still usually feels a lot better knowing that you're being proactive about dealing with it, rather than constantly having it as this dark cloud looming in the horizon of your psyche.

And once you do start getting on top of that stuff, just knowing that it's getting done, and that you'll now know how to deal with it in the future makes your entire existence less stressful and anxiety-ridden. I know I was surprised at how much energy I was putting into just being worried about all this s**t I'd been avoiding dealing with, and always having the knowledge in the back of my mind that any number of procrastinated things could jump up and bite me in the arse at any moment. I didn't realise how negatively that was affecting every aspect of my life until I dealt with those things, and the worry was gone.

I think the first step would be to consider who in your life is best-suited to be able to help you with which things. Obviously one person can help you with more than one vector of "issues," but for example, if transportation to to a doctor is a problem for you, someone who has access to a car during normal business hours would be best-suited to help you out with that. If you live with someone (flatmate/friend, family member(s)/romantic partner), that person may be best-suited to help you with finances, since your financial situation could potentially affect them as well. And so on and so forth.

Obviously none of this stuff is going to get fixed overnight, and it's going to take some work. Not just in terms of taking care of the things that have already piled up, but also in terms of adjusting your lifestyle and your way of approaching these things mentally so you don't just end up in exactly the same position several months or years down the line. Most of all, don't be afraid to ask for help, now or in the future, and think of ways that the people in your life can continue to help you with these things, even if it's as simple as having them remind you to do things, or to check in with you every so often. In my household, we keep a calendar print-out for the current month and the following month on the fridge where my partner and I both write down things like appointments and when bills are due, which serves to both remind us of our individual responsibilities, and allows us to check in with each other to make sure everything is getting done.

Perfect Trash

I'm not really sure how or why so many of my posts turn into these long, sprawling epics. Clearly conciseness is not one of my talents.

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
SinfulGuillotine
I'm really sure how or why so many of my posts turn into these long, sprawling epics. Clearly conciseness is not one of my talents.

but it was certainly more detailed and clear than what I was trying to say. for that, I thankyou. I was trying to word it more clearly and with more detail than I did. but I have been dealing with mindfog for the past week or two.

also, I'm flattered by your opinion of my advice. redface

Perfect Trash

Chieftain Twilight
SinfulGuillotine
I'm really sure how or why so many of my posts turn into these long, sprawling epics. Clearly conciseness is not one of my talents.

but it was certainly more detailed and clear than what I was trying to say. for that, I thankyou. I was trying to word it more clearly and with more detail than I did. but I have been dealing with mindfog for the past week or two.

It was perfectly clear, I think I just have a natural compulsion to over-explain everything. It's not enough just to explain it, I have to have examples, and analogies, and pie charts, and venn diagrams...

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
SinfulGuillotine
Chieftain Twilight
SinfulGuillotine

It was perfectly clear, I think I just have a natural compulsion to over-explain everything. It's not enough just to explain it, I have to have examples, and analogies, and pie charts, and venn diagrams...

I would fall in love with your explanations. seriously. that's a dream come true. emotion_kirakira

Perfect Trash

Chieftain Twilight
SinfulGuillotine
Chieftain Twilight
SinfulGuillotine

I would fall in love with your explanations. seriously. that's a dream come true. emotion_kirakira
My explanations are pretty sexy, it's true.

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
SinfulGuillotine
Chieftain Twilight
SinfulGuillotine
Chieftain Twilight
SinfulGuillotine

My explanations are pretty sexy, it's true.

I wish more people used diagrams and data sheets to explain things.

Perfect Trash

The other day at work, someone actually drew a little cartoon making fun of my tendency to over-explain simple concepts. I'll see if I can scan it and share it here.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff