Welcome to Gaia! ::

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200
does anybody have solutions for nightmare-induced insomnia? it's getting to the point where I'm too afraid to go to sleep even if I could. it's been effecting my work ethic and sociability again lately.

Clean Gekko

3,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Chieftain Twilight
does anybody have solutions for nightmare-induced insomnia? it's getting to the point where I'm too afraid to go to sleep even if I could. it's been effecting my work ethic and sociability again lately.
I know you aint like it but Imma tell you that sleein medications solved that problem for me
it dint stop the nightmares but least I can sleep through em now

I woulnt want anyone to be all drugged up an addicted to medications but I really gotta insist that if you get the right ones an find out how to deal wi the side effecs then medications can really do you wonders

Phantom

Chieftain Twilight
I've taken Xanax to get me to sleep, it makes it so I wouldn't care about my head getting cut off, so that shows how much it eased me into it. That's the only reason why I ever take it, because I can't muscle through the day if I haven't slept. I've tried other medicines but Xanax is the only thing that made it so I didn't feel physically ill/strange upon waking up. Nightmares are also less of a problem for me as well when I've been on it.

Grogginess may be an issue, however.

Clean Gekko

3,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Your Neighbor
Chieftain Twilight
I've taken Xanax to get me to sleep, it makes it so I wouldn't care about my head getting cut off, so that shows how much it eased me into it. That's the only reason why I ever take it, because I can't muscle through the day if I haven't slept. I've tried other medicines but Xanax is the only thing that made it so I didn't feel physically ill/strange upon waking up. Nightmares are also less of a problem for me as well when I've been on it.

hes told me he dont trust medications though
he said he uses herbs an such but I dont know any that help you sleep

Phantom

Silly Annie
Your Neighbor
Chieftain Twilight

Closest to anything natural that I've done was melatonin and that didn't work out fine. I had anxiety fits the day after, it appeared to do some bad stuff to my brain chemistry since melatonin is a hormone.

Plus with just about anything you'll build a tolerance to it. He may have built up a tolerance to the remedies he's using, which explains why he's having a difficult time too.

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
Silly Annie
Chieftain Twilight
I know you aint like it but Imma tell you that sleein medications solved that problem for me
it dint stop the nightmares but least I can sleep through em now

I woulnt want anyone to be all drugged up an addicted to medications but I really gotta insist that if you get the right ones an find out how to deal wi the side effecs then medications can really do you wonders

I'll substitute that with teas designed for sleeping aid, then.

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
Your Neighbor
Silly Annie
Your Neighbor
Chieftain Twilight

Closest to anything natural that I've done was melatonin and that didn't work out fine. I had anxiety fits the day after, it appeared to do some bad stuff to my brain chemistry since melatonin is a hormone.

Plus with just about anything you'll build a tolerance to it. He may have built up a tolerance to the remedies he's using, which explains why he's having a difficult time too.

I do believe I have. Lavender Tea is one I've used alot in the past, and now I need to drink so much of it I end up waking up in the middle of the night anyway to go pee. lately I've been drinking Mint Tea instead, but I don't always remember to. besides, the garden we grow it at is downtown, and I don't go every day.

I used to try to drink a beer or cider before bed if I was desperate for sleep. that didn't really help in the long run.

Phantom

Chieftain Twilight
Your Neighbor
Silly Annie
Your Neighbor
Chieftain Twilight

I do believe I have. Lavender Tea is one I've used alot in the past, and now I need to drink so much of it I end up waking up in the middle of the night anyway to go pee. lately I've been drinking Mint Tea instead, but I don't always remember to. besides, the garden we grow it at is downtown, and I don't go every day.

I used to try to drink a beer or cider before bed if I was desperate for sleep. that didn't really help in the long run.
Alcohol helps get you to sleep but it won't really give you the REM sleep you need.

Herbs are basically a form of medication anyway. Coming from someone who is extremely leery of medicine due to being sick from them- a light dose of Xanax may help. I never got how people said it could be habit-forming as it made me too sluggish to do anything before proceeding to be K.O'd.

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
Your Neighbor
Chieftain Twilight
Your Neighbor
Silly Annie
Your Neighbor
Chieftain Twilight

Alcohol helps get you to sleep but it won't really give you the REM sleep you need.

Herbs are basically a form of medication anyway. Coming from someone who is extremely leery of medicine due to being sick from them- a light dose of Xanax may help. I never got how people said it could be habit-forming as it made me too sluggish to do anything before proceeding to be K.O'd.

I'll stick to the substances which I know the composition of and which I know are tested extensively. I am all for researching xanax. if I find it to be trustworthy, I'll consider using it.

Phantom

Chieftain Twilight
Your Neighbor
Chieftain Twilight
Your Neighbor
Silly Annie

I'll stick to the substances which I know the composition of and which I know are tested extensively. I am all for researching xanax. if I find it to be trustworthy, I'll consider using it.
Good, because when you're sleep-deprived it also screws with your brain permanently too.

I hated going without sleep for long stretches and I became the biggest b***h ever. Plus sleeping for about 18 hours after about three days made me feel like I needed oil in my joints upon waking up.

"The ******** oh god MY ARM IS LOCKED."

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
Your Neighbor
Chieftain Twilight
Your Neighbor
Chieftain Twilight
Your Neighbor
Silly Annie

Good, because when you're sleep-deprived it also screws with your brain permanently too.

I hated going without sleep for long stretches and I became the biggest b***h ever. Plus sleeping for about 18 hours after about three days made me feel like I needed oil in my joints upon waking up.

"The ******** oh god MY ARM IS LOCKED."

my honest distaste for pharmaceuticals is really just the industry itself, not the concept of a drug. the way I see it, chemistry is super ******** coolio, especially Biochemistry. but I know that alot of the medications that are actually available are poorly tested, and/or dangerous to use even when taken as prescribed. my knowledge of the policies and behavior of the pharmaceutical companies, coupled with my lack of knowledge of specific drugs or details about them and their clinical studies, leads me to be very wary of them.

I mainly use herbal remedies because they are tried and true, and I can grow them myself. it's a matter of being fully informed and aware. I know that I can trust what I know all about.

Perfect Trash

Regarding alprazolam (Xanax): So long as you don't take it every day, you should be fine. It does carry risks of physical dependence with longterm use, with some pretty hardcore withdrawal symptoms if you stop it cold-turkey (similar to alcohol withdrawals, including potential seizures and death). That said, it would take daily use over the course of several months for most people to develop any physical dependence at all, and probably a year or more of daily use for most people to develop the level of dependence that would cause potentially dangerous withdrawal symptoms upon cessation. Benzos are not like, for example, opioids, where you can develop a considerable physical dependence in a matter of days. Most people who take them on an as-needed basis never experience any significant withdrawal symptoms. But that risk does exist, and everyone's body chemistry is different. Some people do develop chemical dependences to certain substances more quickly than others.

I'm prescribed alprazolam for panic attacks, and I've noticed that when I take it as a sleep aid, my nightmares are often worse. Like everything else, it affects different people differently. It works great for my panic attacks, but I won't take it as a sleep aid.

Shirtless Strawberry

14,800 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Pie Scarface 150
  • Partygoer 500
Chieftain Twilight

Whenever I have trouble sleeping, especially due to nightmares, I try to distract myself for the time being. Like reading a book until I fall asleep. If you cannot sleep to the silence, try listening to classic or relaxing music. In other words, you should research on things that relax and makes you feel secure. Basically, a finding your safe place. My therapist suggest I should find things that relax on my five senses. Even smell can be soothing. It all about taking time for yourself. I believe doing certain activities in the daytime can help sleep, such as exercising and meditating.

SinfulGuillotine
Regarding alprazolam (Xanax): So long as you don't take it every day, you should be fine. It does carry risks of physical dependence with longterm use, with some pretty hardcore withdrawal symptoms if you stop it cold-turkey

This is the best advice one can give to another over Alprazolam. Using Xanax as a sleep aid would only increase your dependency on the medicine. Taking it every day increase will likely have you higher the doses you would normally take because your body will eventually become accustomed to the chemicals. I wouldn't suggest anyone using Alprazolam for sleep.

I was first prescribed Alprazolam for panic attacks. However, I suffer from extreme insomnia and I asked my doctor about medication for sleep. She suggested using the Xanax for the same thing. Yet my therapist strongly against this. Soon I become dependent on Alprazolam for sleep. It really makes me groggy in the morning and difficult to have proper sleep schedule. But if I do not take it (like cold turkey wise), then I am unable to fall asleep at all. That is one of the bad side effects Alprazolam can cause as a sleep aid.
Chieftain Twilight

I am on a medication (yeah, medication..) called amitriptyline. It is for sleep, helping stop nightmares, flashbacks and things such as that when you are going to sleep. It has helped me incredibly! This is one of the only things I've been put on that has really helped me at night to sleep without nightmares or anxiety. I have been on a TON of meds and this is one that i haven't had any bad side effects with or have changed right away.

Adventuring Explorer

36,400 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Healer 50
Satanic PandaCakes
do you ever want to get triggered or for the past to happen again? or am i alone in that?
Hmm. Sometimes I would feel very tired from trying to keep my bad thoughts at bay.

When I felt I couldn't push them away anymore, I'd instead "flip" and, rather self-destructingly, try to indulge in them instead.

It hurt bad to do so, but I did it because it helped me get a sense of control over them.

Maybe that's similar to your feelings.

I know abuse victims can miss some aspects of their abuse because they've learned to connect abuse and love/care.

Of course it's entirely possible to get the love/care without the abuse, but until one has that, one will still miss the good feelings.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff