Welcome to Gaia! ::

New Poll for...awesomeness!

Yay! Awesomeness! 0.6 60.0% [ 357 ]
Yeah...awesome... [/sarcasm] 0.15798319327731 15.8% [ 94 ]
[insert your own thoughts here] 0.24201680672269 24.2% [ 144 ]
Total Votes:[ 595 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 177 178 179 > >> >>> »|

Hihi!

I'm pretty new to this whole thing; I'll probably just lurk for a while, but I just wanted to say hi.
^_^
I love this thread.
So, I feel like I should share my story.
I've never been in a polyamorus relationship but I was once in a relationship where my boyfriend was unsatisfied with the ammount of sex we were having and he wanted to have a girl friend just for sex and a girl friend for a relationship (so me) he said I could too. Now, I'm bisexual, and he is not, so we would not share and we coulden't be in an emotional relationship with our "other lover" and I cannot have sex with someone without a relationship. Soon after our relationship ended.

Now I am in a new relationship, engadged and having a child with him, and he is the love of my life.(and also bi) He and I both feel like we can be polyamogus because we both know we have so much love to give. Just we would both be in a relationship with the other person if we found someone.

So now I bring up my question. And I think this would make a good discussion some time.

How do you feel about polyamours relationships where the people in the relationship have children.
Do you think polyamory is only something for people without children?
Syn Viver
Chikara Kitsune Takashi
@ Syn:

I've tried, really. I've showed him more exciting stuff I'd like to try, I've told him about things I've read... he's just a really quiet guy. He's the deep, quiet, mysterious type, and while I normally love that about him when I try to change anything it's like running up against a brick wall. I mean, it's not really like I can say "you're boring, change yourself to be more interesting", can I?

Maybe part of the problem is that I'm normally shy about most things, so the fact that I'm trying to be assertive about all of this is scaring him? I dunno... Oh, and I'm not sure if this matters or not to the topic, but we just started having sex a month ago. It's more than the sex, though, it's that he doesn't act like we're together in public. He won't hold my hand because it "bugs him". Ok, I'm OCD, so I get that, but still... I feel like crying sometimes when I see other couples holding hands.

Ugh. I'm sorry to be blunt, but having been in a 'relationship' where I was kept quiet because he didn't want to be made fun of... any behaviour like that immediately sends up a red flag for me. I'm not saying that's the case with your boy, but if it is, he should have his balls taken off with something dull and rusty. stressed

Anywho... again, you need to sit down and talk to him, obviously about more than just the bedroom stuff. Make a list if you have to to keep yourself on track, just to be sure you don't miss anything. Ultimately, if he still won't respond, then you'll have to decide if it's worth staying in.

O.O Um, no, it's not quite like that. The only thing he won't let me make fun of is his hair, and honestly I love it anyways... couldn't bear it if he cut it short. It's more like I don't want to hurt his feelings. But I guess you're right, if I'm not happy then it shouldn't hurt his feelings to hear me out about what I want. Thanks, this did help, as... off topic as it was sweatdrop Now I just have to figure out how to word what I want... I mean, do I just say "Be more romantic in public, be more agressive and exciting in bed?" or what?
Chikara Kitsune Takashi
@ Syn:

I've tried, really. I've showed him more exciting stuff I'd like to try, I've told him about things I've read... he's just a really quiet guy. He's the deep, quiet, mysterious type, and while I normally love that about him when I try to change anything it's like running up against a brick wall. I mean, it's not really like I can say "you're boring, change yourself to be more interesting", can I?

Maybe part of the problem is that I'm normally shy about most things, so the fact that I'm trying to be assertive about all of this is scaring him? I dunno... Oh, and I'm not sure if this matters or not to the topic, but we just started having sex a month ago. It's more than the sex, though, it's that he doesn't act like we're together in public. He won't hold my hand because it "bugs him". Ok, I'm OCD, so I get that, but still... I feel like crying sometimes when I see other couples holding hands.

Been there. I've dated at least one guy who was really weird about showing affection in public. Meanwhile, my ex and his girlfreind (who we hung out with all the time), were all over each other. Now I'm back with my ex, but he's in Oregon, and in a secret (not from him, at least, not intentionally), relationship with another guy, so we can't hold hands or anything in public most of the time either...it makes me really sad...
Felis terrapina
I love this thread.
So, I feel like I should share my story.
I've never been in a polyamorus relationship but I was once in a relationship where my boyfriend was unsatisfied with the ammount of sex we were having and he wanted to have a girl friend just for sex and a girl friend for a relationship (so me) he said I could too. Now, I'm bisexual, and he is not, so we would not share and we coulden't be in an emotional relationship with our "other lover" and I cannot have sex with someone without a relationship. Soon after our relationship ended.

Now I am in a new relationship, engadged and having a child with him, and he is the love of my life.(and also bi) He and I both feel like we can be polyamogus because we both know we have so much love to give. Just we would both be in a relationship with the other person if we found someone.

So now I bring up my question. And I think this would make a good discussion some time.

How do you feel about polyamours relationships where the people in the relationship have children.
Do you think polyamory is only something for people without children?

It had better not be, since I'm poly and pregnant. It requires even more discussion than a normal polyamorous relationship though, because there is always the question of whether and to what degree partners who are not a child's parents will be involved in his life. It is probably advisable to tell people upfront that you have a child with another partner of yours, but there's no reason you can't be poly with children.

Familiar Citizen

Well first I'd just like to say that I'm happy to see all the new faces around here and it's great that we have some really good questions and discussion going already.

Renacide: Glad to see you around. I feel pretty much the same way about love. As well :3

@ mindy_does_stuff:Take your time, have a look around. Don't worry we won't bite, haha. Happy to see a fresh new face!

I know that some of you have already received responses from other people in the thread but I'd like to give a couple of cents of my own if you don't mind as well.
@Syn: I think if you're someone's primary partner then you should have the attention and respect of that. It really sounds to me of your original post and reply to Maar that your ex was just using it as an excuse to have you on 'standby' while going for other women (or girls as the case may be...). Especially if you are arranging the details for marriage, not paying attention because he's hitting on a teenager is really uncalled for.

I don't think that you're selfish for wanting attention paid to you, even in a polyamorous relationship. Being in that sort of a relationship isn't an excuse to ignore your partner while you go try to pick up other people and only slink back home when you're unsuccessful and be comforted by the fact that you still have someone at home. Finding people and dating sure is a part of a polyamorous relationship, but if you're not taking care of the existing relationship things are bound to fall apart.

Especially if he ignores your discomfort and continues doing whatever he wants to regardless of whether or not he would hurt you in the process. I'd say the boy really needed to learn the fundamentals of a healthy relationship before even thinking about adding more people to it.

@Chikara: Bringing up the topic of polyamory can be a very tricky subject to start with. I'm quite lucky myself because I've never actually had to think about how to bring it up, because by the time me and my boyfriend started dating we'd already talked about our philosophies of relationships and found both of us would prefer something that wasn't monogamous (started out as an open/swinging style relationship which progressed slowly (and quite naturally for us) into polyamory.) This being said... I have had to debate and wade my way through how to bring it up with other people (friends, family, potential lovers...) so I hope I can be of some use to you.

I find one of the better tactics would be to take things slowly, do small things to test out the water first. First make a joke, then transition into hypothetical scenarios that are with John and Jane Doe, see how those go, how your partner reacts to them. If it seems positive slowly introduce the idea that you are polyamorous to your partner, let them ask questions, give them part of the literature associated with polyamory (either websites, youtube videos, books...). I think the slow transition from jokes, to philosophy, to hypothetical, to explaining your feelings works the best in those situations. I'm all for honesty, I believe it is one of the keystones to a happy, healthy relationship, but at the same time it doesn't have to be blunt slap-in-the-face style honesty.

This being said... From where I'm looking in you seem to be wanting polyamory to fill some gaps and voids in your current relationship, to use another person as sort of a stop-gap measure to gain things fundamentally lacking in your current relationship you're not happy with. I understand that you love your boyfriend and are dedicated to him, but if you cannot work things out between yourselves, if he's not giving you what makes you satisfied in your relationship, then you should perhaps reconsider this relationship as it is. If your relationship isn't healthy adding more people to the equation isn't going to solve the fundamental problems that exist in the pre-established relationship.

I suggest talking to him openly and honestly about how all of this makes you feel, and I know you have but try again. As for what you should say exactly to him.... just explain it how you did here. That you want to be more affectionate with him in public, that you don't really want to be all over him (like making out in the middle of the street), but just show some small token like hand holding to show that he cares. Essentially tell him what you told us about being upset about not being able to hold hands, try to find out exactly why he won't hold your hand (try to delve deeper than just 'it bugs him'), explain that you'd really like to explore and experiment in the bedroom with him and make sure he understands how important this is for you. If he doesn't listen, if he is still ignoring your needs and it's hurting you, then I would highly recommend talking to a couple's counsellor about it, because sometimes the moderator there to guide your discussions can really help get things said that are difficult to say.

If in the end it's looking as though things can't be resolved and your relationship styles just aren't matching up in and out of the bedroom... then it may be time to reconsider if the relationship is right for either of you in the long run. After all it shouldn't be about one person sacrificing their happiness and comfort for the sake of the other, but it's supposed to be about enriching each other's lives right?

@Felis terrapina: Polyamory is not just for people without children, there are many happy healthy families out there where everyone is involved with raising the kids. It can be quite healthy for the child as well because more often than not in polyamorous families they'll always have a parental figure there for them, even if the biological parents aren't around at the time. These things really aren't terribly different than with monogamous parents except there can be a greater support network for the child, think about it really, with the amount of people in the home (living with everyone under one roof) it would be like having an extended family around all the time. Personally I grew up in a large family where I was around extended family (grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins) most of the time anyway so it seems little different to me.

There can be some challenges, such as explaining the relationship to the child, children dealing with the fact that their family is different than other kid's families at school and ect.

But I think with everything it's a matter of keeping it calm and keeping the explanations and answers to questions age appropriate and just like how it is with monogamous parents you keep the sex and such behind closed and locked doors, but the affection (hugging, light kissing, holding hands, ect) should be fine to be out in the open.

But those are my views on the matter, every parent is different, some polyamorous people chose not to tell their children, or at least not tell them until they are older [mid-teens/adults].

As for words from a teenager from a polyamorous family there is an article here on the subject as well as Polyamorous Percolations has a section on "Poly and Parenting" which may prove helpful because it has things for parents such as coming out to your kids as well as forthings for kids to help coping with being 'different' [right hand side, bottom link under "Polyamory Issues"].

Hope this has helped.
@Mameoyashi: that does help. thank you ^^ I know I'm not going to hide sex from my son, my fiance and I are very open.

Familiar Citizen

Felis terrapina
@Mameoyashi: that does help. thank you ^^ I know I'm not going to hide sex from my son, my fiance and I are very open.
*nods* Well I suppose regardless of other things I'm still conservative on some views. Sort of... I suppose it's complicated for me at the moment XD

Who knows though, may change when I seriously start consider parenthood for myself (or if it gets sprung upon me, heh) and start really thinking hard about that sort of thing.

Glad though that I could be of some help despite the lack of experience in thinking about sex in that aspect.
Oh man, I just made my first post on Polyamory 101 like yesterday! Grrr. Oh well. Hi everyone... again razz

I dunno what to say exactly... I'm in a triad-style relationship right now, with my boyfriend of 2 years, and a girl I've been previously involved with... I typed out the whole long backstory in the other thread... ninja so I don't really know what to say here, I just want to be part of the thread I guess, heh.

Familiar Citizen

Whatever Never Knew
Oh man, I just made my first post on Polyamory 101 like yesterday! Grrr. Oh well. Hi everyone... again razz

I dunno what to say exactly... I'm in a triad-style relationship right now, with my boyfriend of 2 years, and a girl I've been previously involved with... I typed out the whole long backstory in the other thread... ninja so I don't really know what to say here, I just want to be part of the thread I guess, heh.
You could always copy and paste your story from the previous thread if you want the whole story explained smile After all, new thread, new slate.

I'm glad to see you here either way really.
I dunno, I feel like I'm talking too much or something if I just start off with a super long personal story. sweatdrop I'll get into it if anyone asks.

Ok, I have a question. What kinds of new hurdles have you faced when first trying a poly relationship? What did you have to learn to do better or differently to make things work compared to previous monogamous relationships?

My first time 'going poly' we had jealousy problems cause my (then... and again now) girlfriend lives on the opposite side of town from my boyfriend and I. There were problems with who was "more important" and comparing the two relationships. I'm a pretty serious overanalyzer, which I've come to realize can majorly sabotage a good thing for absolutely no reason. gonk I had to learn to majorly tone that down for things to work out.
Hello, new thread! May you avoid the disasters and pitfalls of the old.

Except maybe the thing where every fifth poster is someone coming in to tell us "I could never do this" then leave. I think that one's unavoidable. Thank you for sharing, monogamy-centric hit-and-runners! xp

Familiar Citizen

Whatever Never Knew
I dunno, I feel like I'm talking too much or something if I just start off with a super long personal story. sweatdrop I'll get into it if anyone asks.

Ok, I have a question. What kinds of new hurdles have you faced when first trying a poly relationship? What did you have to learn to do better or differently to make things work compared to previous monogamous relationships?

My first time 'going poly' we had jealousy problems cause my (then... and again now) girlfriend lives on the opposite side of town from my boyfriend and I. There were problems with who was "more important" and comparing the two relationships. I'm a pretty serious overanalyzer, which I've come to realize can majorly sabotage a good thing for absolutely no reason. gonk I had to learn to majorly tone that down for things to work out.
If you don't mind, this is a really good question to put up in the weekly discussion and I may put it on the front page if you're okay with it? (Not with your personal story attatched to it, the question in general because it is a great one).

I have to say though I may not be the best person to answer this question (I hope other people of the thread can though!), me and my boyfriend are very non-jealous people (we have our moments, but it's never a real serious issue) so the conflicts and issues that came into play because of the jealousy isn't so much of a big deal for us.

However from what I do know of jealousy it's that jealousy generally is a piece of a greater problem: insecurity. The best way to deal with this, im my opinion, is to communicate.... everything. Even if you think it's irratonal you should talk about your fears and doubts. There is a lot of good information and the Theory and Practice of Jealousy Managment over on Xeromag which you may like to check out.

The only big mistake (regarding non-monogamy) between me and my boyfriend was a long time ago when we were in a swinging style relationship. There was a misunderstanding between us, I thought that he was going to be away from town (he lived in another city at that point) and busy all weekend when I was going to hook up with a friend-with-benefits of mine who was coming to visit me in res (which I was doing with his blessing, mind you). However it turns out he was only going to be busy on the Friday and in my town for the rest of the weekend with mutual friends of ours.

It ended up being a big confusing awkward mess, where my friend wasn't terribly comfortable, neither was I and it left my boyfriend a little hurt because he'd been looking forward to the weekend together... It ended up being a really bad weekend for everyone involved.

SO, this is partly why I'm such a big advocate of communication, make sure it's open and clear to avoid such misunderstandings.

But really that's been our only 'big' problem regarding our non-monogamy.... I think we've been pretty fortunate in that respect.
Mameoyashi
If you don't mind, this is a really good question to put up in the weekly discussion and I may put it on the front page if you're okay with it? (Not with your personal story attatched to it, the question in general because it is a great one).

Go right ahead. Hehe I feel important xd heart

As far as jealousy goes we have very little of it now. I know our girlfriend (and 'technically' she's not, but what other word am I supposed to use? razz ) still has a little but that's completely understandable cause she doesn't get to see us nearly as much as we see each other. But I think a lot of the reason there's less of it now as opposed to before is the difference in our relationship configuration... before it was just me dating both of them, whereas now we're *all* involved with each other. Things feel a lot more balanced.
As long as everyone involved consents to the polyamorous nature of the relationship, I think it's fine. I personally don't think I myself could ever be in a relationship of that nature; With me, I feel like my strongest relationships are one-on-one, and I couldn't deal.

Still, I feel as if I can't judge people's life choices. So if everyone involved's happy, who am I to say what they should do?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff