Yes 0.35816719132564 35.8% [ 1024 ]
I used to, but I recovered 0.32668765302553 32.7% [ 934 ]
I don't, but I know someone who does 0.13606155998601 13.6% [ 389 ]
No 0.17908359566282 17.9% [ 512 ]
Total Votes:[ 2859 ]

Eloquent Conversationalist

maqnet
GoddessDivine
Do you know what happens to someone's body and mind when they self-harm? I don't suppose so.

Self-harm releases a rush of endorphins and adrenaline. It is similar to a drug, one that relaxes you. Self-harm takes you away from your problems temporarily, and can have a calming affect.

But they leave scars.
I never said i was against it i just gave my opinion on it.
this was a discussion if im correct.
I do no a few people. that do it to seak attention.
Some people are fine with the scars. In fact, most of the self-harm I did never left a lasting mark. I have a few scars, but I call them my battle wounds, they remind me of the hard times that I managed to survive through.

You aren't acting civil enough for this to be a discussion. I'm sorry for what you went through, but you've been tearing down and ridiculing self-harm and self-harmers since you got here.

And yes, some do it for attention, but they are not the majority. And they obviously have a serious problem as well if they are willing to do something so negative for attention; they deserve just as much help as the self-harmers, and neither group deserve derision.
GoddessDivine
maqnet
GoddessDivine
Do you know what happens to someone's body and mind when they self-harm? I don't suppose so.

Self-harm releases a rush of endorphins and adrenaline. It is similar to a drug, one that relaxes you. Self-harm takes you away from your problems temporarily, and can have a calming affect.

But they leave scars.
Some people are fine with the scars. In fact, most of the self-harm I did never left a lasting mark. I have a few scars, but I call them my battle wounds, they remind me of the hard times that I managed to survive through.

You aren't acting civil enough for this to be a discussion. I'm sorry for what you went through, but you've been tearing down and ridiculing self-harm and self-harmers since you got here.

And yes, some do it for attention, but they are not the majority. And they obviously have a serious problem as well if they are willing to do something so negative for attention; they deserve just as much help as the self-harmers, and neither group deserve derision.

I promice u i did not do it for attention
I simply said my opinion .
im sorry for causing any problems to your thread.
But like i said i find selfharm bad.
I was also called a troll, and judged for it.
There is good people. Who have support groups for people who are upset over there life or over some life problem that they can go to instead of self hurt.

maqnet
GoddessDivine
maqnet
GoddessDivine

But they leave scars.

There is good people. Who have support groups for people who are upset over there life or over some life problem that they can go to instead of self hurt.
Yes, and we advocate for healing here, and we believe that self-harm should only be a temporary solution. It took me about 4 years, but this group, this thread helped me to quit self-harming.

It just takes time, and some people aren't ready to quit yet. And some people can't admit what's going on in their life that's causing their self-harm yet. We're here for those people until they are ready to stop.

Honestly, at some points your posts did seem quite troll-ish, so I can't blame him for calling you one. Maybe if you weren't so hostile and rude he wouldn't have insulted you.
GoddessDivine
maqnet
GoddessDivine
maqnet
GoddessDivine

But they leave scars.

Yes, and we advocate for healing here, and we believe that self-harm should only be a temporary solution. It took me about 4 years, but this group, this thread helped me to quit self-harming.

It just takes time, and some people aren't ready to quit yet. And some people can't admit what's going on in their life that's causing their self-harm yet. We're here for those people until they are ready to stop.

Honestly, at some points your posts did seem quite troll-ish, so I can't blame him for calling you one. Maybe if you weren't so hostile and rude he wouldn't have insulted you.

I had nol reason to troll this thread.
I just wanted to state my opinion . But he could have came at me from a different perspective.
self harm is just the 1 thing. I never really respected but id like to hear peoples story and my opinion may change. I may also stay around and listen if its ok with u?

maqnet
GoddessDivine
maqnet
GoddessDivine
maqnet
GoddessDivine

But they leave scars.

I just wanted to state my opinion . But he could have came at me from a different perspective.
self harm is just the 1 thing. I never really respected but id like to hear peoples story and my opinion may change. I may also stay around and listen if its ok with u?
We're just very protective here, and we do get a lot of trolls. I am sorry if you were offended though.

It's fine if you stay, but if anyone here is hurt by any comments you may make, then you'll have to leave. Does that seem fair?
GoddessDivine
maqnet
GoddessDivine
maqnet
GoddessDivine

We're just very protective here, and we do get a lot of trolls. I am sorry if you were offended though.

It's fine if you stay, but if anyone here is hurt by any comments you may make, then you'll have to leave. Does that seem fair?

that is fair c:
anyways im tired going to bed ttyl.

Sexy Noob

I see self harm as a silent cry for help.
Yeah, Some people do it for attention.. But not all people do.

In order to judge someone for causing self harm you must first understand their situation.
Making assumptions isn't going to help the person.. nor does it make you look good.

I've had a few friends who cut themselves due to really stressful lifestyles.

I always told my friends "Cutting relieves stress for now.. But when that feeling is gone what do you have? A bunch of ugly scars as a reminder".

I completely understand why people do it so I have nothing against it at all. Life is hard and sometimes you have to do what you gotta do just to get through it.

Sinful Ninja
I see self harm as a silent cry for help.
Yeah, Some people do it for attention.. But not all people do.

In order to judge someone for causing self harm you must first understand their situation.
Making assumptions isn't going to help the person.. nor does it make you look good.

I've had a few friends who cut themselves due to really stressful lifestyles.

I always told my friends "Cutting relieves stress for now.. But when that feeling is gone what do you have? A bunch of ugly scars as a reminder".

I completely understand why people do it so I have nothing against it at all. Life is hard and sometimes you have to do what you gotta do just to get through it.
Actually, some of us don't see our scars as ugly. I, myself, call them my battle wounds; they got me through some very tough times. They remind me that I survived.

Sexy Noob

GoddessDivine
Actually, some of us don't see our scars as ugly. I, myself, call them my battle wounds; they got me through some very tough times. They remind me that I survived.
I used to call them ugly so my friend would stop cutting xD
She was very self conscious.. That's how I made her stop.
Heh, I can't call them ugly since I have scars all over my body from my clumsy mistakes.
But yes, You make a good point.

Dapper Dabbler

GoddessDivine
It is similar to a drug, one that relaxes you.

Someone may as well be asking "Why do people use opiates?" Adding on to this, yes, self-injury releases endorphins, which are what opiates are made to mimic. Self-injury is more dangerous, but more accessible and cheaper.
I need more control over the way I look.

Lady Fox

26,050 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
The idea that people who self harm never admit it is wrong, but it is something that I see a lot of people say, both those who have self harmed and those who do not self harm. While self harm is more of a secretive, behind closed doors issue, there are self hamers who do seek help by going to their friends, family, doctors, therapists, etc. Seeking help and talking about their issue of self harm, which means admitting that they self harm, doesn't make them any less of a self harmer. If anything, it adds character and strength. Seeking help can be hard; it involves effort, strength, and wanting to get better.

You could even go as far to say that saying that the idea that "people who self harm never admit it" to be dangerous. People who self harm may be more unlikely to accept help because they will be afraid that their friends, family, etc. will seek them as fake, an attention seeker, etc. all because they talked about something that was negatively effecting them. I have seen a lot of people shy away from help, even outside of self harm, because a lot of people have a negative opinion about mental illness. People should be encourage to seek help, not discouraged. I'd rather someone, even with a small issue to seek help then to keep it inside and let it build up over time.

There are many reasons why people go online to talk about their issues. For one, it is a lot more private than going to a friend or therapist. You don't have to share your name, your picture, or any information you are not comfortable giving out. With support groups for self harm, depression, anxiety, etc. it is going to be a lot more easier to find someone to talk to who knows what you are going from, and will have advice. I also find help is more unbiased, truthful, and kind because these people do not have to help me. It is their choice to do so. They may not want to risk having their friends and family, who may feel obligated to help them, telling them only what they WANT to hear and not that they NEED to hear.

Seeking help on the internet doesn't make someone an emo or scene, it doesn't make them feel, it doesn't mean they are seeking attention. Seeking help, even through a forum on the internet, is better than someone keeping it all inside and letting it build. Seeking help in general doesn't mean they are emo, scene, attention seeking, etc.

Even if the people you know do it for attention, these people do not represent even single person who self harms. Everyone has their own reason for self harming. It is not always going to be for attention, but it could because the pain distracts them, the endorphin rush, to punish themselves, to calm themselves, etc.

http://www.crpsib.com/whatissi.asp#why
Why do people self-injure?
Reasons given for self-injuring are diverse. Many individuals who practice it report overwhelming sadness, anxiety, or emotional numbness as common emotional triggers. Self-injury, they report, provides a way to manage intolerable feelings or a way to experience some sense of feeling. It is also used as means of coping with anxiety or other negative feelings and to relieve stress or pressure. Those who self-injure also report doing so to feel in control of their bodies and minds, to express feelings, to distract themselves from other problems, to communicate needs, to create visible and noticeable wounds, to purify themselves, to reenact a trauma in an attempt to resolve it or to protect others from their emotional pain (Klonsky, 2007; DiLazzero, 2003). Some report doing it simply because it feels good or provides an energy rush (although few report doing only for these reasons). Regardless of the specific reason provided, self-injury may best be understood as a maladaptive coping mechanism, but one that works – at least for a while.

In that paragraph I quoted from Cornell Search Program of Self Harm, it states that people who self harm do it to "manage intolerable feelings", "a way to express some sense of feeling", to cope with anxiety, "to feel in control of their bodies in mind", and so forth.

Someone does not have to be part of the emo or scene subculture to self harm. The idea that people in those two scenes self harm is a stereotype. From my experience and from what I have read, people who self harm come from different places in life. Self harming is something that has no true boundaries when it comes to race, age, religion, music interest, etc. Someone could be religious, into Christian music, and self harm. A girl into Hip Hop and R&B could self harm. A teacher nearing 40 could be self harming. A child around seven could be self harming for the very first time. The point here is that self harm isn't just something that effects (affects?) two subcultures that are a lot younger than the act of self harm.

Personally, I am not into either subculture. I don't like the music, I don't like the fashion, and I am not fond of the subculture. In fact, I am often annoyed by both subcultures and how people in the subculture tend to act. I will never consider myself emo or scene.

I don't think I have ever seen anyone here claim to be emo, scene, or any alternative subculture, such as goth, for that matter.

As for children; if I have children I will teach them ways to cope with their issues in healthy ways, and let them know them know that I will be there for them even through the tough times. I would educate my child, once they were old enough, about self harm, drugs, eating disorder, and how to prevent them from going down those paths. Even if they do go down that path, because even with prevention nothing is 100% perfect, I will give them the support they need.

Goddess stated a good point in response to self harm being selfish, and there being people who are worse off.

Quote:
There will always be someone worse off, that doesn't mean that people can't focus on their own problems. And you can't say that it's always selfish when you don't even know their situation. People self-harm for different reasons, some of them are physically, emotionally, and/or mentally abused - do those people have no right to be selfish and focus on themselves and their problems?

No matter who you are there will be someone worse off than you, and there will be people better off. That doesn't make the said person's emotions go away, and in fact, I have seen people feel more like crap because they keep getting told stuff like "You need to stop self harming, there's starving children in Africa!" or "You are selfish, what about the people who are worse off than you?" I have seen people NOT seek help and get worse because of these ideas. Indirectly these comments discourage people from getting the support they need.

Yes, self harm is negative, but we shouldn't be making someone who self harms feel like their problems are fake and worthless. Give them help, direct them to a hot line, give them information for a local support group, etc.

After all, self harm is a symptom of a serious issue. It is a sign that something in their life is going wrong to the point where they are finding comfort in harming themselves. They may not know any other way to cope that works, or work just as well.

I do hope what I said helps you. I am willing to speak to, to help you, etc. That said, please do not attack me. I will not hesitate to end the discussion. While what I said may come out of as harsh and rude, I am not trying to be.

I do respect you and your opinion, and I hope the same for you.

Cunning Werewolf

4,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
maqnet

As much as you can play the "if they had done this, I would have reacted this way" card, you also came at things in a pseudo-antagonistic manner and considering the nature of the thread, I think the posters were quite nice and polite to you. Regardless of your opinions on the topic, this thread is a place EXPRESSLY on the topic of self harm and nearly everyone here harms. You coming in here and slamming self harm is like going to an NAACP meeting and throwing out racial slurs. You should expect some negative feedback. In fact, I'm surprised you didn't see worse from random passers-by. It happens.

As far as harming leaving scars - well, so does nearly any physical injury that breaks skin. If you burn yourself on accident, it leaves a scar. Or if you fall and scrape your knee. I don't know HOW many times we all did that as children. Scars aren't a big deal.
Personally, I'm quite proud of them. I like them. They give me character, remind me of all I've been through, and remind me of what I will never be like again. My scars are a living example of my evolution through life. I love my scars. And if my family, my friends have an issue with something so petty as surface, cosmetic bullcrap as a few scars... Well. I would need to associate with better people, don't you think? 3nodding
Anyone who loves me will love my scars. Because if it weren't for how they got there, if THEY weren't there, I doubt I would be.

Trellioz

Thank you for your input, you are very educated and articulate, and posed very good points.

GoddessDivine

Kyra. heart
I know everyone has different situations but this is how I perceive my self harm,
I'm really careless, so I don't mind the scars, or the one's I'll have.
I don't use it as a cry for help either, the best I can call it is it's how I cope with things. Only sometimes I wish I could just go 'cold turkey' but I can't for over 2 weeks, though I forget I ever wanted to quit by a week confused

summer1412
maqnet

As much as you can play the "if they had done this, I would have reacted this way" card, you also came at things in a pseudo-antagonistic manner and considering the nature of the thread, I think the posters were quite nice and polite to you. Regardless of your opinions on the topic, this thread is a place EXPRESSLY on the topic of self harm and nearly everyone here harms. You coming in here and slamming self harm is like going to an NAACP meeting and throwing out racial slurs. You should expect some negative feedback. In fact, I'm surprised you didn't see worse from random passers-by. It happens.

As far as harming leaving scars - well, so does nearly any physical injury that breaks skin. If you burn yourself on accident, it leaves a scar. Or if you fall and scrape your knee. I don't know HOW many times we all did that as children. Scars aren't a big deal.
Personally, I'm quite proud of them. I like them. They give me character, remind me of all I've been through, and remind me of what I will never be like again. My scars are a living example of my evolution through life. I love my scars. And if my family, my friends have an issue with something so petty as surface, cosmetic bullcrap as a few scars... Well. I would need to associate with better people, don't you think? 3nodding
Anyone who loves me will love my scars. Because if it weren't for how they got there, if THEY weren't there, I doubt I would be.

Trellioz

Thank you for your input, you are very educated and articulate, and posed very good points.

GoddessDivine

Kyra. heart
Hi honey. You never told me what happened! And yes, that's my Trell. He was post stalking me. <3

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff