Video monitor 0.043478260869565 4.3% [ 3 ]
Other (please share!) 0.14492753623188 14.5% [ 10 ]
...gold.... 0.3768115942029 37.7% [ 26 ]
Total Votes:[ 69 ]
This poll closed on July 9, 2013.
No longer accepting new votes.

Friendly Wench

Diet Poison

Well her doctor said that she was small, but not that he was concerned and he asked how often she ate. I mean, she eats on command and often. I have wondered the same thing, but they seem convinced that I should be force feeding her formula.

Friendly Wench

Mississippi Black Velvet

At 5 months I think Sophia was clocking in at 12-13 lbs give or take and as for sitting up she was right around 5 1/2 months when she was pretty well and good sitting on her own.

Each kid develops differently and if your doctor isn't concerned then neither should you or anyone else be like Diet said.
Sophia was a late crawler, she didn't start crawling until she was almost 8 months old but once she got it down she was good to go and now she's walking, lol.
Some things just take time is all. :3

And that's the mindset that I had! But everyone is tearing me down and saying that I don't have Lilians best interest in mind and that parents need to be "flexible" to do what's right for their kids. But I feel like EBF is best, and being a first time young mom I am sticking to my guns but they are making me feel like an idiot for it.

Hardcore Muse

O_o-Dimensia_Juice-x_X

And that's the mindset that I had! But everyone is tearing me down and saying that I don't have Lilians best interest in mind and that parents need to be "flexible" to do what's right for their kids. But I feel like EBF is best, and being a first time young mom I am sticking to my guns but they are making me feel like an idiot for it.

I wouldn't be too concerned about it then if her doctor has no concerns, she may just be lazy is all, that was Sophias problem she was just lazy, lol.

Sophia was EBF up until she was 4 months old after that we started a combo of breast feeding and solids, her pediatrician gave the Green light on that though.
Do what you feel is right and what her pediatrician feels is right too, I just would ignore everyone else. They're being silly from the sound of things.

Friendly Wench

Mississippi Black Velvet

Any ideas how to tell them to bite me, without really telling them to bite me? lol

Hardcore Muse

O_o-Dimensia_Juice-x_X
Mississippi Black Velvet

Any ideas how to tell them to bite me, without really telling them to bite me? lol

Tell them you love them and appreciate their concerns but until your doctor says otherwise you'll continue to EBF. Just be nice about it but firm, I found that always works well. :3

Lucky Star

O_o-Dimensia_Juice-x_X
Mississippi Black Velvet

Just tell them she's just a small baby.
My nephew is 5 months and 12lbs. My niece is 9 months and 13lbs.

Cyrus was huge at 5 months but he was 10lbs at birth. Some babies are big some are small all that matters is they're healthy

Eloquent Senshi

27,050 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Excitable Emoter 25
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Kitakiy - When I was sleep training my daughter to sleep in her crib, she'd cry for hours even with me sitting directly in front of her. I was living with my ex MIL and her mother was there too. One night she came into my room and picked my daughter up out of the crib, told me I couldn't do that to a child and carried her off. I have social anxiety too so I sent my ex husband to talk to her and take our daughter back but it pissed me off pretty badly too and then forever after that I've had issues with letting my daughter just cry because I'm always terrified somebody will say something else to me. So no, I don't think you're over reacting. Looking back, I know *I* was in the right. And looking at your situation from an outsider's view who is also a mommy, NOBODY and I mean NOBODY has a right to tell you how to disciple/not disciple your child unless you are harming them. Time out is NOT in any way, shape or form harming her. If this woman wants to pretend like she knows best, you need to put her in her place. I suggest not going in and screaming at her but you need to tell her, and not in front of your child, that YOU are Mommy and YOU decide how to punish her. Somebody else walking in and telling you you can't do that makes your daughter think she NEVER has to listen to you. And it makes everything worse for you in the long run and on your child.

People have so much trouble keeping their parenting opinions to themselves. Advice is fine. But when they try to FORCE their views on you, it's wrong.Everybody is different.

Dimensia - My daughter is petite. At 3 1/2 she only weighs 30 pounds and she's 3 foot 2. The pediatrician kept fussing at me because she was so tiny and was insisting something was wrong. We had a battery of tests done throughout her first year until finally the pediatrician looked at the charts and stuff and said "Oh. She's just petite like you." WELL DUH. xD 'm 5'2 and my mom is 5'5 I think. My ex was... 5'6 or so and his mom is the same height as me and both he and she are rail thin. As long as your daughter is eating well, I wouldn't worry about it. As for the sitting up thing...just give her as much tummy time and stuff as she'll stand. She'll get there! I had a boppy pillow to help my daughter but you can prop pillows around your LO to keep her sitting up.

As for telling them "Bite me", just calmly but firmly tell them "I don't want to talk about it anymore". You don't have to give them a reason. Change the subject any time it's brought up, no matter how many times you have to do it to get the point across. I had to do that with my Mom about my daughter's speech (She was months behind other children in speech and then one day she woke up and was talking better than a lot of children her age) and with her potty training. My mom kept telling me "Something is wrong with her" for both. And my daughter just WASN'T READY. I had to put my foot down after a nurse came to my home to evaluate my daughter and said she was perfectly normal for speech and beyond her age group for the other stuff she tested her on and my mom was STILL saying there was something wrong. Now my daughter is completely potty trained for pee and that only took 2-3 days once she was good and ready. Now she uses the big potty and refuses to use the little potty or the musical princess potty insert seat we bought her. o_O She's still refusing to poop in the potty though. sweatdrop I know she will get there though.

Everybody - I know I talk about myself a lot when responding to others. I don't mean to be focused on myself. I give advice by example though and I feel I often need to tell about my experience so people know I can sympathize and empathize as I've gone through VERY similar situations.

Also, Lovie has a whole freaking week off this week. I don't know what we're going to do. xD We haven't had more than 2 days in a row together without him having class/work since...I don't know how long ago.
@Kit: I would have told her off right then! Even if it's just a firm 'You cannot do that.' I figure if Elayne sees me getting walked over she'll get walked over and I don't want that. I want her to be able to stick up for herself. I cannot believe some one would do that. Screw how your mother wants you to fee about somebody, she was beyond rude.

@Dimensia: Laynie was 5lbs 6ozs. I don't remember what she was at 5 months, I'd have to check her papers. She's always been small though. You can always email everyone some information on EBF with the note 'Thanks for the advice but her ped isn't worried, she's just small'. Laynie was sitting for a tiny bit at around 5 months and then sitting really well at 6 months. She was cruising/crawling by 7-8 months and walking by 9.5. People will always be telling you how to do things (at least that's what it seems). I basically tune people out at this point and do what I think is best. Unless I ask for advice I don't really want it.

Vegetables/food: You can hide a lot in pasta sauce. I can even put carrots in mashed potatos, I don't let Laynie see me do it. I have been wanting to try food art for a bit but it's just a lot of effort and honestly by the time it's time to eat I'm exhausted. Laynie's fairly picky but we don't give her sweets no matter what. If she didn't eat her food she can have one of those ella's kitchen cookies or club crackers. When she's older I might try the whole 'Eat five bites of x food and you can have x snack later'.

@New faces: Hello =) My name is Katy and my SO and I have a 15 month (on the 24th) old daughter named Elayne. Jake and I have a seven year anniversary coming up in August. I am 21 years old and he is 24.

Elayne has been so sick the last few days. Friday I took her to the doctor where I found out she had a sinus infection (I suspected that) but also that she probably had strep. He didn't do a swab since she was going on antibiotics anyway. I called in to work on saturday since she was feverish and miserable and she started vomiting at around 5. She was literally throwing up in her sleep. It was such a long night. She took a 4 hour nap saturday though which was crazy. She was still ready for bed by 7. Poor girly. Jake threw a fit today because I didn't want him to wake her from her nap. He wanted to drive me to work so he could keep our car and take laynie shopping/to his moms house. Like she was just super sick and still super tired =| Sometimes she's so self centered.

fReemade Ran's Partner

Omnipresent Traveler

Kegokec
Moo - If it's on her diaper area you could try Desitin? It's for diaper rash but that stuff works WONDERS.

It was on her back, didn't think to use diaper cream though.

fReemade Ran's Partner

Omnipresent Traveler

foxiekitty2010
Boesen Moo
foxiekitty2010
Hello, I have not been on Gaia for a few years, but I felt the need to return. I am a 22 year old with a one and a half year old son. I am a single parent trying to work her way through school to become a success for not only herself, but for her child too! I decided to post on here because most of my friends do not have children and do not know the struggles I go through. I want friends that can relate so that is why I am posting.

Hello and Welcome! I'm Moo, 30, married with an 8 month old girl. There are lots of nice girls and some guys in here! What are going to school for?

Thank you very much! aww well congrats! ^_^ that's good because even though I have support from my parents I'd still like to get to know other parents that may be going through things like I have. I am going for my two year degree in American Sign Language interpreting

Oh fun! I love sign language and I think a couple of other girls know it too. That will be a good job to get once you're done.

Sparkly Smoker

@foxie: I know how you feel! Most of my friends think I can just leave her with my mom and don't understand why I haven't been out with them yet. At least my best friend is more understanding. She likes being an "aunt" and comes over every week.

@Coffee: I agree with what every one else said. Start hiding his veggies in food until he's old enough to eat them normally. I'd also talk to his pedi about which vitamin would be best to start him on. And if you're not okay with his grandma always feeding him sweets then you need to put your foot down. She's really not helping the situation.

@Dimensia: Every baby is different! And I seriously don't understand what people get up there a** about breastfeeding. My in-laws have already asked me about formula (no offense to anyone who formula feeds)! As long as my boobs still work, Isabella won't be having formula. Just use your pedi as an excuse. That's what I do. Say something like, "I've brought up our concerns with her doctor and he thinks she's growing okay and my breast milk is beyond adequate." I always use my pedi as an excuse when people start pestering me about stuff. xd

SO and I are both sick. gonk We'll be going to the doctor today. I really hope Isabella doesn't get sick. She's been sneezing. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy, ugh.

Lucky Star

Cyrus had a great weekend... unfortunately he ate nothing but candy the whole weekend gonk I didn't even get him much candy at all (a little chocolate bunny and peeps) but my mother in law and sister went a little overboard...

Magnetic Sex Symbol

O_o-Dimensia_Juice-x_X
Quick question before I disappear into the depths again!
How much did your kids weigh at 5 months vs. when they were born?
And could they sit up by their own? I am getting soooo much s**t from people that Lily is too small at 12 LBS. when she was born 9.4 at birth.

Gerard was about 19 pounds at 5 months (born at 8lbs/15ounces) but he is very tall. Formula doesn't magically make babies fatter either; Gerard was underweight for his height at that time but still gaining overall. Babies grow at their own pace and as long as the doctor is not concerned your kid is fine. He did not sit up on his own until around 7 months; he crawled at 6.5 and had no interest in sitting at all.

Vegetables: Gerard loves vegetables but sometimes he refuses a new food until he tries it a few times. Plain yogurt is a good way of hiding some stuff like avocado and pureed green beans. Pasta sauce also works. You could try using sauces for dipping too.
@Moo: If I remember right you're not supposed to put anything on a heat rash since you want the pores to breathe. Lotion will make the rash spread.

Laynie is so sick. She's been having trouble with a cold for the last couple of weeks, Friday doc says sinus infection + strep. Saturday she started vomiting and kept throwing up even in her sleep. She's had a fever on and off for three days. She started with diahrea yesterday and threw up again this morning. Going to call her doctor back =( She stopped eating yesterday. She'll still nurse but only to fall asleep. I'm trying not to worry but it's hard when my little bug is sick.

Hardcore Muse

Sade:
Poor Laynie just can't catch a break. I really hope she doesn't have a stomach bug on top of all of this, that's what it sounds like though. sad

Off topic:
My brother finally introduced me to his girlfriend, lol. She seems okay I still don't like the fact that she goes days without seeing her kids because she'd rather party and do other things, but I kept my mouth shut.

Either my SIL deleted her Facebook or blocked me, not sure which but whatever, lol.

Ugh, so ready for Saturday to get here so we can start on moving.
U_U

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces