Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reportable
Chartreusethewaterdemon
lol, all this stuff about gender identity today.

I thought I was a girl when I was a little boy blaugh I played with barbies and polly-pockets and I even stole my mom's dolls dresses now and then.

There was absoloutley no influnence on me as to that behavior, no older sisters dressing me up, no effeminate father (ANYTHING but effeminate really) No obsessive mother.

And today, I am completely satisfied with being male, and am more comfortable with being one than I can ever honestly imagine being female.

They have done studies on children raised to be the opposite gender, they more often than not desire to be the gender they originally were, gender identity is definitely made up by the person, not the environment.

You can give a girl all the toy trucks you want, don't mean she'll play with them.

(I realized after my post how much this forum is talking about gender lol)

My sister joined the debate with my friend and mentioned a bunch of stuff from her sociology class she just had this semester.

Apparently being born female is one thing, but being taught how to be female is another thing. If a baby girl is always around a mother who wears perfume, the daughter is going to learn that females should smell pretty. If she always put an effort into doing her hair and make up, the child is going to learn that females should look pretty. The same goes for what they wear and what they play with. Essentially she said that a female child will probably recognize that they are a female, but how they act (in the sense of being female) depends on what they see and learn from everyone around them.

I used to always play in the mud and I never cared what I looked like (as far as clothing and what not went) when I was growing up in Germany, but as soon as we moved to the states and I started middle school, wow did the girls in my grade ever make fun of me. I didn't start acting like a girl until I was made fun of for not acting like a girl.

Growing up, I spent much more time with my mother, while my older sister went hunting on weekends with my father. She wore makeup and perfume and dressed pretty.

I am FtM.

Explain how I learned that, then.

Lonely Saint

Track01_Rebuild
Reportable
Chartreusethewaterdemon

I thought I was a girl when I was a little boy blaugh I played with barbies and polly-pockets and I even stole my mom's dolls dresses now and then.

There was absoloutley no influnence on me as to that behavior, no older sisters dressing me up, no effeminate father (ANYTHING but effeminate really) No obsessive mother.

And today, I am completely satisfied with being male, and am more comfortable with being one than I can ever honestly imagine being female.

They have done studies on children raised to be the opposite gender, they more often than not desire to be the gender they originally were, gender identity is definitely made up by the person, not the environment.

You can give a girl all the toy trucks you want, don't mean she'll play with them.

My sister joined the debate with my friend and mentioned a bunch of stuff from her sociology class she just had this semester.

Apparently being born female is one thing, but being taught how to be female is another thing. If a baby girl is always around a mother who wears perfume, the daughter is going to learn that females should smell pretty. If she always put an effort into doing her hair and make up, the child is going to learn that females should look pretty. The same goes for what they wear and what they play with. Essentially she said that a female child will probably recognize that they are a female, but how they act (in the sense of being female) depends on what they see and learn from everyone around them.

I used to always play in the mud and I never cared what I looked like (as far as clothing and what not went) when I was growing up in Germany, but as soon as we moved to the states and I started middle school, wow did the girls in my grade ever make fun of me. I didn't start acting like a girl until I was made fun of for not acting like a girl.

Growing up, I spent much more time with my mother, while my older sister went hunting on weekends with my father. She wore makeup and perfume and dressed pretty.

I am FtM.

Yeah - I've practically never had a man in my life who would have taught me anything, I lack the "male role model" that usually comes in the form of a father or brother or cousin or teacher or whateverthehellyouwill. Overall, I've had very little to do with any men at all so far, and I'm FtM as well.
Oblivion Blades
Track01_Rebuild
Reportable
Chartreusethewaterdemon

I am FtM.

Yeah - I've practically never had a man in my life who would have taught me anything, I lack the "male role model" that usually comes in the form of a father or brother or cousin or teacher or whateverthehellyouwill. Overall, I've had very little to do with any men at all so far, and I'm FtM as well.

In b4 "you're making up for it" or EdipusElectra complex like theories.

Lonely Saint

Track01_Rebuild

Yup, exactly. Because the theories totally hold water when applied to actual living human beings.
Oblivion Blades
Track01_Rebuild

Yup, exactly. Because the theories totally hold water when applied to actual living human beings.

I've heard it before. I actually wrote a 12 page paper for one of my classes a few years ago about edipus/electra complex and freud's "p***s envy" theories being applied to the trans* community.
If I can ever find it, I'll post it u, I know a lot of people around here would be interested.
And I got to interview Buck Angel for it. Nice guy, btw.
I wish I could change sex at will. Imagine the possibilities. I could kick out all the useless idiots I'm banging and be able to reach multiple orgasms on my own.

Dedicated Loiterer

Reportable
Not sure if this is the right forum...

Currently having a discussion with a friend about gender identification.

They claim it is not a learned behavior, I claim it is.

Anyone care to discuss?

I don't understand how it couldn't be a learned behavior. Gender norms vary from culture to culture.
It just goes back to the example of a tribe in South America where the men dress up in bright colors and wear makeup to attract females. In most other countries, that behavior would break every norm imaginable, especially when they started dancing to win the hearts of the ladies.

Chatty Smoker

Dandrogyny
Gender identity is a combination of learned behavior AND genetic predisposition, as well as neurology.
You're both right, when you combine your ideas.

This -^

Lonely Saint

Track01_Rebuild
Oblivion Blades
Track01_Rebuild

I've heard it before. I actually wrote a 12 page paper for one of my classes a few years ago about edipus/electra complex and freud's "p***s envy" theories being applied to the trans* community.
If I can ever find it, I'll post it u, I know a lot of people around here would be interested.

So have I - every time I hear it used, I want to throw a bomb at the person saying it. It's ridiculous to the point when it's not even worth arguing anymore.
Also, do that. It'd be cool. Buck's great, so on that basis alone, I'm interested.

Lonely Saint

thefluffygamer
Reportable

Anyone care to discuss?

I don't understand how it couldn't be a learned behavior. Gender norms vary from culture to culture.
It just goes back to the example of a tribe in South America where the men dress up in bright colors and wear makeup to attract females. In most other countries, that behavior would break every norm imaginable, especially when they started dancing to win the hearts of the ladies.

Gender roles do not equal gender identity. Gender roles are social - gender identity refers to the manner you view yourself and which sex you identify with, if either.
Oblivion Blades
Track01_Rebuild
Oblivion Blades
Track01_Rebuild

So have I - every time I hear it used, I want to throw a bomb at the person saying it. It's ridiculous to the point when it's not even worth arguing anymore.
Also, do that. It'd be cool. Buck's great, so on that basis alone, I'm interested.

I may have to hope that my teacher still has the copy I handed in and re-type it from that, since my hard drive has been "imaged" since then to get the adobe suite update my school gives us.
Reportable

Anyone care to discuss?

It's both natural and learned and people are diverse.

It's strongly reinforce in society.

It's also biological.

People have different responses to what society expects from them and to their own biology.

Bara Doge's Queen

Omnipresent Senshi

It's both.

Kawaii Sentai

User Image
User ImageUser Image

I say its a learned behavior. Children grow up and learn by imitation. Usually they find 2 thing they have in common with one parent and then they try imitating them. For example little girls with long hair might imitate a mother with the same hair length. They may also find other things about themselves that they see in another and want to emulate them. Me and my dad liked to play street fighter so I started wearing his belts, for another example. Its not as much a taught thing as it is a matter of imitation.

User ImageUser Image
How to check your gender

step 1: look down your pants

step 2: profit.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items