Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tipsy Kitten

8,800 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
User Image

The title sounds like a support thread, but I just wanted to talk with other gaians that have arthritis Rheumatoid, or Osteo.

I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis when I was really young and have been on anti-inflammatory meds throughout my life as I needed them. When I was experiencing a flare up they would often give me Naproxen to take as I needed until the flare-up subsided. They still don't want to put me on a regular medication until they absolutely HAVE to, which I totally understand.

I don't really remember a time when I wasn't in some sort of pain or experiencing some kind of stiffness. I've had back problems since I was still a kid. My hand joints are the second worst compared to my back. My knuckles swell and they feel stuck and my hands start to feel like their "buzzing" and become very painful to touch during the whole morning stiffness ordeal. I dread getting up to go to the bathroom in the morning as my ankles and knees don't seem to want to bend until I've been awake for three hours.
I am overweight which really doesn't help. I've been trying to lose weight for three years but my PCOS makes it very frustrating and pretty much impossible to lose more than three pounds without gaining it back instantly (I'll be on medication for that soon, woo!)

Anyway, I want to hear about other people's stories and maybe learn how to better deal with my own RA.
How do you cope with it on a daily basis?
Are you on any medications for it? What kind? What kind of testing did you have to do to get it?
Any non-extremely-painful exercises you do?

My doctor knows I smoke weed to deal with the pain on occasion and thinks it might benefit me to have a license for medical marijuana and said that if I wanted we could work on filling out an application for it. Anyone have any luck with this?

User Image

Timid Lunatic

User Image

I don't have RA, but I have a similar condition caused by an auto-immune reaction I had after I got Lyme Disease. I've got arthritis in several different joints. It's worst in my knees, but it's also in my ankles, hips, and more recently has started in my upper body.

Medication doesn't really help, but I take supplements like turmeric and ginger for the inflammation, and ibuprofen just for the hell of it when it's really bad.

I can't do many exercises, so I mostly just stick to walking.

User Image

Precious Cutie-Pie

19,325 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
i suffer with a bunch of crap.

endometriosis, adenomyosis, pelvic adhesive disease, pelvic floor dysfunction, hypothyroidism and vestibular vulvodynia. i have a bladder disease interstitial cystitis which is a chronic inflammation of the bladder

and a few weeks ago my family doctor said i should see a rheumatologist and my bloodwork said my inflammation was really high and had X-rays of my back feet and ankles. he diagnosed me with ankylosing spondylitis and i have heel spurs in both feet. one foot has a 2nd bone spur going up into my achilis tendon

he tried to get me to take sulfasalazine but had to stop at the first dosage increase cuz it was giving me bad stomach and intestinal cramping. idk what he will have me try next xp

Vicious Reveler

I have an auto-immune disease that is most likely RA, but might possibly be lupus, it's kind of complicated. I'm sero-negative at the moment, so the blood test is kind of not especially helpful. They decided to just try and treat my symptoms, and since the treatment for both is very similar, we just started it to see if it would improve.

It happened out of the blue when I was 20. I'd just moved towns and got my first good job, then one day my index finger swells up so bad I can't use it. Then it happens to my other fingers... and that was it.

I see the Rheumatologist twice a year and can make emergency appointments if I have a bad flare. They monitor my medications and treatment plans.

I'm on immuno-suppressants. I started off with just Plaquenil, but after a few years it stopped doing the job by itself and it got supplemented with Azathioprine. I also get painkillers, and if I have a bad flare I might get steroid injections in my joints, or oral steroids.

Once a month I get a blood test to monitor how things are going. I don't mind them, I'm used to them now so I can't really feel them anymore.

My main joints affected are fingers and hips, but also pops up in other places like ankles, feet or knees. I have wrist splints and my own set of crutches that I spray-painted black with silver flecks and put skull stickers all over. I was on crutches with my hip pain for over a year, but now I only need them intermittently.

My quality of life is much improved from what it was when I first got sick. My flare ups and pain are more managed.

I hope you can find some things that work for you. Not-hurty exercise wise, swimming tends to be the best. It still burns calories and exercises muscles but there is much less stress on joints. Cycling can work if you're not having a bad flare, but running and jogging tend to be very jarring on joints. Walking is fine, it's good to walk around. Stretching a little (but not over stretching or having it cause you great pain) can be good if you can manage.

In regards to the marijuana, yes I have found it to help me with my pain. Also got rid of my nightmares, bonus! Mine isn't legal, though, so I don't know how all the paperwork goes for that. I just live in a places where it grows well and is very common to smoke so it's not exactly a problem to find it, if you want it.

Borg

I have arthritis in my lower spine from some physical trauma (including falling 35' from a tree and landing with my lower back slamming into a partially-buried sandstone boulder). It's gotten pretty bad in the past couple of years, makes it hard to sit for very long, especially in poor-designed chairs. Apparently, I also now have a herniated disc (L5/L6?) with an annular tear and "major" nerve impingement.*

I've been working at a client site for the past two weeks. Because of extended time in some rotten office chairs, I've been hobbling around like I'm some crippled old raggedy grrl. Embarrassing, especially around the hyper-attractive consultants from IBM in other room who talk about extreme rock climbing, running marathons before work, and swimming the English Channel for fun. emo

"I won a powerlifting competition and placed 2nd in an extreme trapeze aerobics competition. Also took another black belt, this time in Taekwondo. Then, my boyfriends and I had tantric sex for like 18 hours straight before we cooked a super-elaborate 7-course gourmet dinner for a group of our friends. What did you do over the weekend, raggedy?"
"I-I took muscle relaxants and slept for two days. I was going to eat an energy bar, but I couldn't figure out how to open the wrapper."
"Oh. I stubbed my toe once when I was 8, I know exactly how you feel! Pain hurts!"
"Erm..."

I have a neurological thing that also gives me a fair amount of pain, but it's not noticeable for the most part. The arthritis has me stiff, limping, squeaking, and wobbly. Naproxen and Amrix (I avoid taking this because it knocks me out). I have more serious meds for other condition, so no painkillers specific to this.

For the people who use cannabis to manage their pain, does it work? For how long? Do you find that it actually helps the pain, or do you just not care that you hurt? Theoretically, it's going to be legal for medicinal use here soon (sometime in the next century), kinda wondering if it does anything.

*How does this even happen? I'm not moving cinderblocks for a living, I type on a freakin' keyboard and talk to my houseplants.

Tipsy Kitten

8,800 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
raggedy grrl
For the people who use cannabis to manage their pain, does it work? For how long? Do you find that it actually helps the pain, or do you just not care that you hurt? Theoretically, it's going to be legal for medicinal use here soon (sometime in the next century), kinda wondering if it does anything.

I'll reply more in full when I get home tonight, I'm out and about for now (just messing around on Gaia when I get a few minutes), but I find it does wonders for me. Marijuana works as a relaxant so it actually helps the pain. I find when I smoke it before I go to bed I don't have morning stiffness anywhere NEAR as bad as if I didn't. I don't even need much, like two puffs off the pipe and the pain has decreased and what's left is completely tolerable. If I do the same thing in the morning I can go about my day relatively pain-free (it helps my asthma too which is a bonus).

Borg

AngelBiscuits
raggedy grrl

I'll reply more in full when I get home tonight, I'm out and about for now (just messing around on Gaia when I get a few minutes), but I find it does wonders for me. Marijuana works as a relaxant so it actually helps the pain. I find when I smoke it before I go to bed I don't have morning stiffness anywhere NEAR as bad as if I didn't. I don't even need much, like two puffs off the pipe and the pain has decreased and what's left is completely tolerable. If I do the same thing in the morning I can go about my day relatively pain-free (it helps my asthma too which is a bonus).

I woke stiff and hurting* so that sounds quite appealing.

*Could barely move, but wow, I really had to pee. Not fun.

Newbie Member

AngelBiscuits
User Image

The title sounds like a support thread, but I just wanted to talk with other gaians that have arthritis Rheumatoid, or Osteo.

I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis when I was really young and have been on anti-inflammatory meds throughout my life as I needed them. When I was experiencing a flare up they would often give me Naproxen to take as I needed until the flare-up subsided. They still don't want to put me on a regular medication until they absolutely HAVE to, which I totally understand.

I don't really remember a time when I wasn't in some sort of pain or experiencing some kind of stiffness. I've had back problems since I was still a kid. My hand joints are the second worst compared to my back. My knuckles swell and they feel stuck and my hands start to feel like their "buzzing" and become very painful to touch during the whole morning stiffness ordeal. I dread getting up to go to the bathroom in the morning as my ankles and knees don't seem to want to bend until I've been awake for three hours.
I am overweight which really doesn't help. I've been trying to lose weight for three years but my PCOS makes it very frustrating and pretty much impossible to lose more than three pounds without gaining it back instantly (I'll be on medication for that soon, woo!)

Anyway, I want to hear about other people's stories and maybe learn how to better deal with my own RA.
How do you cope with it on a daily basis?
Are you on any medications for it? What kind? What kind of testing did you have to do to get it?
Any non-extremely-painful exercises you do?

My doctor knows I smoke weed to deal with the pain on occasion and thinks it might benefit me to have a license for medical marijuana and said that if I wanted we could work on filling out an application for it. Anyone have any luck with this?

User Image

I have a rheumatoid arthritis on the right knee, I usually have recurring pain most specially during the mornings. We are advised by my rheumatologist that RA is an auto immune disease, we tried using enbrel before to suppress my immune system and it did work but with undesirable side effect on my case so I have to stop taking it. Been taking NSAIDs(advil mostly) as an anti inflammatory to relive the joint pain. A couple of months ago I started taking Omega 3 Supplement that my mom is taking, we were advised by our doctor that Omega 3 Supplement is also another effective alternative anti inflammatory. Now we are trying to reduce my intake of NSAIDs, yay! 3nodding

Just follow your rheumatologist's advise, be mindful of your diet - avoid fried and beans and wheat, loads of veggies and fish. Still do stretching and exercise but don't over work the affected joint as it may trigger further inflammation...

Now that medical marijuana, why did my doctor never suggested that scream Have you tried it already? and does it work? I can probably ask my mom to confirm with my doctor if i can also take it... twisted

Interesting Businesswoman

5,550 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
One of these days I suppose after I get insurance again. I should actually find out if the immense pain in my entire body before rain or cold fronts is that psoriasis arthritis or if I'm just lucky and it's related to the stroke I had in 2005... Does anyone know if you can have regular arthritis if you have psoriasis?

Magical Lover

11,575 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
I do not have RA, but I DO have arthritis in my left knee. How I developed it is....weird and stupid. It happened in college, two years ago. My boyfriend, and two friends were with me in the dorm. I was laying down on the floor, minding my own business when my two friends decided to have a tickle fight and my friend...who is female and 160 lbs fell on my leg as I was trying to get up and move out of the way. The fall caused my knee to dislocate and then return into position causing an agonizing pain. Of course....only one person cared that I sprained my knee because of stupidity. Well, the nurse, at that time, examined my knee and stated that it was sprained. I had to take Ibuprofen and use ice packs.

This year, during the winter, it got worse. Since I started working retail, my arthritis got to the point where it would be difficult standing at a cash register for two or more hours. It got to the point where i gave in and visited a General Practitioner. He examined my knee and officially diagnosed me with Arthritis and Tendonitis. I was given a set of exercises to do and was prescribed a high dosage of Naproxen to take twice a day. I have to wear a knee brace to work and if it gets worse, I may need more work done.

My knee is stiff, stormy weather makes moving painful and same with the cold. Icy Hot was always my best friend. lol I do take a regiment of vitamins, but vitamins only do so much. They temporarily curb the pain, but not make it go away.

Magical Tree

i don't think i have RA. but i was recently diagnosed with a condition similar to fibromyalgia.
so i'm in pain often.

i also have a few old injuries, and 2 bad knees that doctors promised i'd need surgery for someday.
i'm not even 30.

so i know how you feel. and the meds suck. it ruins your stomach. >.<

oh. i nearly forgot.. my mom has RA (runs in the family.. just cuz i don't have it now.. doesn't mean i won't get it later). she was on like remicade or one of those immune system killing drugs for a while. it actually helped her RA.
it's really drastic. you have to live in a bubble for a while. and they do frequent blood tests and crap. and it's an hour long process. and there's lots of other treatments you should try first.
but if your doctor ever suggests it to you - know that it did work for someone.

Muse

My brain cyst causes all sorts of fun stuff that mimic RA, fibro, vomiting spells, memory lapses, psychosis, blahblahblah.

Swimming at a community or gym pool is your best bet for non-impact exercise. Activity can also help manage the pain symptoms. Overdoing it with crazy work-out routines will not only exacerbate the symptoms, but can also do more damage to your joints overtime due to inflammation (even in people without RA). Many athletes and body-builders suffer from severe knee / joint damage later in life because they didn't allow their body adequate rest. On the flip-side, being sedentary or being physically inactive is one of the worst things you can do for your body, especially if you have RA. You gotta stay moving, somehow. Stretching and non-strenuous yoga exercises are also great ideas.

A simple change you can make is increasing your water intake and making sure your body is hydrated. People underestimate the benefits of drinking more water. A personal trainer once told me, "being under just 2% of your daily water needs, your body will not only retain water but you will also retain fat as you cannot excrete it". I try to drink about sixteen 8oz glasses of water a day. If you add lemon, this can also help curb your appetite and/or aid in metabolism.

You aren't going to like this last piece of advice. I have been diagnosed with PCOS as well, and the only thing that has genuinely helped is being on a natural and healthy diet. No medications, no crazy supplements. Just building good dietary habits and consistent exercise.

When it comes to PCOS, it is all about constructing a healthy food lifestyle. You can work out all day long, but without a structured diet -- there is no point. Losing weight is roughly 70-80% diet and 20-30% exercise. To anyone suffering from autoimmune / chronic diseases, I always recommend taking a look into the "Paleo / Caveman Diet". I've lost 100lbs+ over the span of a year due to changing dietary habits and consistent exercise. Changes didn't happen over night. But if you keep at it, you will see the results without resorting to pharmaceuticals that can have some nasty side-effects.

Paleo Guide for Beginners by Nerd Fitness:
http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/10/04/the-beginners-guide-to-the-paleo-diet/

At the very least, you should start researching some non-inflammatory foods. You'd be surprised how some foods in your diet can cause inflammation in the body. For example, bananas are very inflammatory. Alternatively, some foods / natural supplements also have anti-inflammatory properties. "DoTerra" is a great brand of essential oils. On the expensive side, but they are worth it.

As for the medical marijuana card... Discuss getting the card with your doctor / physician - especially if you are already using it to cope with the pain. If I wasn't trying to get into the medical field, I would apply for one myself since it is legalized here for medicinal purposes. God knows I've looked at the online application. I loathe the handful of meds I have to take and the toxic side-effects that come with them. However, I can sympathize with not being able to function without them.

I would suggest giving the daily lifestyle changes a try first before you get bombarded in a never-ending cycle of medication-merry-go-round and/or resorting to marijuana. Especially since most medications will, (with consistent use) over time, cause damage to your liver / kidneys -- I suggest talking about this with your doctor.

You and your ultimately doctor know your situation best. Whatever you plan on doing, I wish you the best of luck.

Newbie Member

thewaitingtree
i don't think i have RA. but i was recently diagnosed with a condition similar to fibromyalgia.
so i'm in pain often.

i also have a few old injuries, and 2 bad knees that doctors promised i'd need surgery for someday.
i'm not even 30.

oh. i nearly forgot.. my mom has RA (runs in the family.. just cuz i don't have it now.. doesn't mean i won't get it later). she was on like remicade or one of those immune system killing drugs for a while. it actually helped her RA.
it's really drastic. you have to live in a bubble for a while. and they do frequent blood tests and crap. and it's an hour long process. and there's lots of other treatments you should try first.

Does your mom develop any side effect taking remicade? When I stopped taking enbrel because of the side effects my doc says that we may want to try remicade... My mom decided not to go with another steroid meds, and we tried NSAIDs and Fish oil supplement that she is taking... I don't know which one is effective against RA the immunosuppressants or the NSAIDs, but the thing that worries us when I am taking those immunosuppresants is I easily acquired colds that wont seem to go away.

I am also using biofreeze to provide temporary relief on the inflamed joints, that I wont have to worry about taking another meds, but its just temporarily pain reliever.

Fuzzy Member

I know two people with rheumatoid I think
both have it in the legs, funnily enough

I game with the one guy and the other dude is a sweet-as-pancakes metalhead.

All in all neither of them seem to have a great deal of complaints except "I wish my legs worked properly"

Magical Tree

Chris Loters
thewaitingtree
so i'm in pain often.

i'm not even 30.

Does your mom develop any side effect taking remicade? When I stopped taking enbrel because of the side effects my doc says that we may want to try remicade... My mom decided not to go with another steroid meds, and we tried NSAIDs and Fish oil supplement that she is taking... I don't know which one is effective against RA the immunosuppressants or the NSAIDs, but the thing that worries us when I am taking those immunosuppresants is I easily acquired colds that wont seem to go away.

I am also using biofreeze to provide temporary relief on the inflamed joints, that I wont have to worry about taking another meds, but its just temporarily pain reliever.

It's been a few years since she stopped (she was actually on the remicade for an auto-immune disorder of her intestines and treating the RA was a pleasant side-effect for her), so I don't remember what side effects she had. I remember she had huge bruises from the IV site.

The suppressed immune system is a serious thing, yeah. She was extra careful about germs because she's a nurse and works around germs. >.<

I can ask her about side effects she experienced if you want.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff