Welcome to Gaia! ::

Invisible Seeker

19,275 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Chieftain Twilight
Whispertruth
If you are in the South, I have heard you should use ma'am. Maybe and older woman would like it, but most women don't. The rest sounds fine. I also use please and thank you at times.

here in the south, a hell of alot less women feel insulted or old when they get called "ma'am". most of them find it respectful. which is really all it is.
I guess I should have been more specific. When not in the South, most women don't like it.

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200
Whispertruth
Chieftain Twilight
Whispertruth
If you are in the South, I have heard you should use ma'am. Maybe and older woman would like it, but most women don't. The rest sounds fine. I also use please and thank you at times.

here in the south, a hell of alot less women feel insulted or old when they get called "ma'am". most of them find it respectful. which is really all it is.
I guess I should have been more specific. When not in the South, most women don't like it.

that, I can believe. though I still don't understand it.

Beloved Giver

3,200 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
There's an American girl at my university campus, and I said "I'm going to go out for a f** real quick" She just sort of looked at me and laughed a bit, "A f**?.."
Apparently that's not a commonly used slang in America...

Invisible Humorist

The Cat Band Fairy
There's an American girl at my university campus, and I said "I'm going to go out for a f** real quick" She just sort of looked at me and laughed a bit, "A f**?.."

I would have laughed
What does it mean from your country?

Beloved Giver

3,200 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
GhostlyMark
The Cat Band Fairy

I would have laughed
What does it mean from your country?
Cigarette. ;D

Invisible Seeker

19,275 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Chieftain Twilight
Whispertruth
Chieftain Twilight
Whispertruth

It makes woman feel old.

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
Whispertruth
Chieftain Twilight
Whispertruth
Chieftain Twilight
Whispertruth

It makes woman feel old.

I still don't see why. the honorific "ma'am" doesn't mean old, and it doesn't imply old age. it makes no sense to me that people associate it with oldness. down south, it's generally recognized to simply be a term of respect.

Invisible Seeker

19,275 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Chieftain Twilight
Whispertruth
Chieftain Twilight
Whispertruth
Chieftain Twilight
Whispertruth

It makes woman feel old.

I still don't see why. the honorific "ma'am" doesn't mean old, and it doesn't imply old age. it makes no sense to me that people associate it with oldness. down south, it's generally recognized to simply be a term of respect.
I think when you are young you're called miss. If you get a ma'am it means you are getting older and women, not in the South, hate that it seems.

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
Whispertruth
Chieftain Twilight
Whispertruth
Chieftain Twilight
Whispertruth

It makes woman feel old.

I think when you are young you're called miss. If you get a ma'am it means you are getting older and women, not in the South, hate that it seems.

that's how it generally happens, but the reason behind that is partly because the term "miss" is one that represents that the subject is unmarried. "ma'am" is used to refer to someone that is married. there is also the implication that unmarried women deserve less respect than married women. it's a complicated and frankly sexist tradition. but I tend to simply refer to any woman who I have any reason at all to defer to "ma'am" as a sign of respect. unless I call her "sir" instead, because why not?

really, it comes down to me trying not to offend somebody. if I think they might be offended i I call them "ma'am", I call them "sir". if I think they would be offended if I call them "sir" I call them "ma'am". if I think that they would be offended if I called them either of those, I call them neither of those.

Wealthy Hoarder

I think you are. "Ma'ma" is more of a polite term that you use if you want to be very police and politically correct. I use it when I don't know who I am talking to. No matter the age of the person. I have it used on me and I have just gotten use to it.

I live in the South and where I am most people are not from the South. Tell you what gets me really annoyed?

"Hey lady."

Lady? Umm why yes. I am a lady. Do you really need to do that? rolleyes

Or my all time favort that I just don't say anything because its not my place.

Dear, sweety, and others like that. Never been called Sugar though.

If you want to address me please go right ahead and do the ma'ma thing. I am not going to mind at all. Miss isn't that bad either.

It's lady that gets me somewhat annoyed though. Lady? Or the "cleaning lady"

Edit:

I use a lot of sir and ma'ma no matter what though. No one as of yet has gotten annoyed.

Sparkly Vampire

9,400 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Cat Fancier 100
Unawarebrah
I address every female as ma'am.

Whenever I make eye contact with someone, I usually just give a quick smile and sometimes duck my head down.

I usually give hand-shakes whenever I first meet someone.

You'll get smacked for calling people ma'am, they prefer miss or missy.

No no no, you are supposed to hold eye contact and keep your head up. To make sure they know you're holding eye contact, you should open your eyes a little wider.

You should be less formal giving a hard pat on the back, or you can squeeze their hand as tight as you can when shaking, they will really respect you.

Tipsy Consumer

6,600 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
SirPuzzle
Roy Cura
Pink Plaid
Don't call just every woman ma'am. I get pissed as ******** when people call me ma'am. Especially if they're around my age. I'm not a ******** old lady, don't call me ma'am. If you don't know my name say excuse me miss not ma'am.

Yeah but some women get upset by being called "Miss"

What is something that doesn't upset women?

Hey LADY! jk,jk...

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
Lilith_Lilium
Unawarebrah

Whenever I make eye contact with someone, I usually just give a quick smile and sometimes duck my head down.

No no no, you are supposed to hold eye contact and keep your head up. To make sure they know you're holding eye contact, you should open your eyes a little wider.

You should be less formal giving a hard pat on the back, or you can squeeze their hand as tight as you can when shaking, they will really respect you.

intense or prolonged eye contact is creepy and rude. it denotes a lack of trust, it's a social threat.
Having manners and being respectful is not a virtue, in current time.

Women will think of you as a "p***y a** *****", and other dudes will think you're an a*****e.

#DOOMEDAMERICA

Sparkly Vampire

9,400 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Cat Fancier 100
Chieftain Twilight
Lilith_Lilium
Unawarebrah

intense or prolonged eye contact is creepy and rude. it denotes a lack of trust, it's a social threat.

in Japan it could be, but not here in Murica. What you too people too shy or dishonest to maintain eye contact?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff