Welcome to Gaia! ::

Crayon Sex Vomit
geez you are such a lamer...
-___________-;;;
Do you really have no better defense than that? xD ::dies of laughter::
Hahaha... ::regains composure::
If you can't handle the truth, twist them into lies? wow...

i've already explained why dir en grey are better now. we already had this discussion, remember? i'm just making a joke of it, obviously. dear god.

'i know everything': is it ok if i call this Crayon an idiot now? gonk
Hypi
Crayon Sex Vomit
-___________-;;;

i've already explained why dir en grey are better now. we already had this discussion, remember? i'm just making a joke of it, obviously. dear god.

lol wow kiddo. xD

Ruthless Informer

An Obscure Death
No American artist has made a video that comes close to what dir en grey has created, chewed up, and spit back out in a very disturbing way.
Funny how you say that and yet I can easily recall a great number of people complaining about how their video for Agitated Screams of Maggots resembling a half hearted Tool video. Now, despite any irrelevant feelings you may have on the band, this does kind of ruin whatever point you were trying to make.
fuukyo
I love their visual style also, I miss the time when Kyo wear kimonos like angura-kei...
Whoa whoa whoa wait. Dir en grey were NEVER angura. They were never even in the same civilization as angura. The closest they ever came to angura was at least a planet away. Please don't talk about (pseudo) genres that you know nothing but the most superficial concepts of. Please....for your own sake.
Crayon Sex Vomit
Hypi
Crayon Sex Vomit
-___________-;;;

lol wow kiddo. xD

let's end this here, shall we?
safe in the knowledge that, no, you're not an anti-diru nazi and, no, i'm not an obsessed fanboy, and that dir en grey have changed, for better or for worse, depending on your taste and opinion.

ahhh, sweet neutrality.
Hypi

you take his lyrics too literally; they probably work better, and mean more, in actual japanese.

and i think dir en grey are pretty damn heavy - not that new song, but songs like the Agititated Screams of Maggots and Grief are insane. I don't think I could enjoy music that goes any heavier than that.

I am Japanese, and fluent. I think I'd know if there were little tricks and metaphors in the writing. There definitely weren't any when I read them.

What "i know everything" said about the sun is true, but I don't think that's completely what Kyo means or sees it as. I think he sees the sun as something that is so bright that it gives away all of your weaknesses or the evil thoughts you have in your mind, and under the sun everything becomes apparent. It matches the lyrics in all of the songs that "under the sun/in the sun" appears in, too.

And haha that you claim to like Diru's "pretty damn" heaviness, and yet you can't take other heavy bands.

And when I went to see them the past two times he'd sing high notes but not for long, and he'd skip a bunch of parts and hit himself in the head or something. And the girl screaming doesn't hurt at all, so that must have been effortless, I'm sure.
Vredelust
Hypi

you take his lyrics too literally; they probably work better, and mean more, in actual japanese.

and i think dir en grey are pretty damn heavy - not that new song, but songs like the Agititated Screams of Maggots and Grief are insane. I don't think I could enjoy music that goes any heavier than that.

I am Japanese, and fluent. I think I'd know if there were little tricks and metaphors in the writing. There definitely weren't any when I read them.

What "i know everything" said about the sun is true, but I don't think that's completely what Kyo means or sees it as. I think he sees the sun as something that is so bright that it gives away all of your weaknesses or the evil thoughts you have in your mind, and under the sun everything becomes apparent. It matches the lyrics in all of the songs that "under the sun/in the sun" appears in, too.

And haha that you claim to like Diru's "pretty damn" heaviness, and yet you can't take other heavy bands.

well i haven't heard many bands that go heavier than 'grief' - and the ones i have, sucked.

edit: maybe you could suggest some heavy metal bands that don't suck?
If you like Diru, you might like a band called Arch Enemy, Children of bodom, Strapping Young Lad, Dimmu Borgir... Cannibal Corpse...
Vredelust
If you like Diru, you might like a band called Arch Enemy, Children of bodom, Strapping Young Lad, Dimmu Borgir... Cannibal Corpse...

I still have yet to look into CoB, and I can say in all of my four years of following Dir en grey you are the first to recommend other bands that we listeners might like, so I find this to be a significant recommendation and I will look into them soon with the hopes that your recommendation does ring true. I'm always in the market for new music, or not necessarily new rather stuff that I haven't heard.
i know everything

Lyrically I don't think that the majority of us, this includes myself, can fully understand the "poetic value" to Japanese lyrics. You do not understand the language. You are reading a translation, an interpretation of lyrics presented by someone OTHER than the writer. You are reading in a language foreign to the lyrics, and do not have an understanding of the basis of those lyrics. Therefore, NONE OF YOU have the right to bash someone for thinking something about the lyrics. You can not even begin to state that they do not have an understanding of poetic value of something you can't understand yourself.
I despise trying to translate lyrics for someone, because you only get the face value of what they are trying to portray. I will state that in Japanese culture the sun tends to be a powerful entity. God, the country is called "Land of the rising sun." But that doesn't mean the rest of the lyrics are what we think they are.

Please remember this is a discussion thread. Not an "I LUV DIRU" thread. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and are not an idiot for stating them.

And to think I almost wasn't even going to go back a few pages to catch up on what I missed because it seemed completely worthless. Boy was I wrong. Thank you for this because it is the only thing making perfect sense right now in this thread. I have avoided posting anything for the sole purpose of avoiding conflict because I cannot back up my opinions in a solid manner.
Translation is the key. It is the reason why I don't believe a word of the bible, but is not the only reason why I don't follow christianity. I think the poetic value is compromised by the translations and interpretations and can not really be understood without a direct explanation from the writer. Kyo's lyrics DO have great poetic value to a level that we may never understand.
Hahah, thanks, I guess. I hope you like them. I don't really like them myself(and neither did I like MARROW) but I think they're better than a lot of other heavy metal bands.

I understand that through his lyrics, Kyo is trying to show the problems with sexual violence in Japan, the mental state of the youth of Japan, and the search for individual self-worth and mental stability. So his lyrics do have topics. But I think that he should at least vary the words he uses if he's going to use the same topics and the same style of writing each time.

I was just looking through Kyo's poembook and found a funny one.

DEAD MUSIC
Too many messages
Cliche messages
Annoying(noisy) sounds from right and left, and whether it's in my face is out of the question
Today
What will I hear beyond those speakers?
Beyond those speakers is merely a concrete wall
We can hear nothing
I like this one:

Fade

Commit a sin on instinct
Also shave their futures off
The law of the jungle, The loop of the death
Love is a merciless word association game
the way they fade
I can not stop laughing

Kind of menacing. O_o

6,650 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
Am I the ONLY one who loves ASoM. Srsly, i could listen to it like 5 times in a row, before my mom would be like CHANGE THE ******** SONG ALREADY>>>
An Obscure Death
Am I the ONLY one who loves ASoM. Srsly, i could listen to it like 5 times in a row, before my mom would be like CHANGE THE ******** SONG ALREADY>>>

when i first heard it, i hated it, but now i love it
Kaidan
fuukyo
I love their visual style also, I miss the time when Kyo wear kimonos like angura-kei...
Whoa whoa whoa wait. Dir en grey were NEVER angura. They were never even in the same civilization as angura. The closest they ever came to angura was at least a planet away. Please don't talk about (pseudo) genres that you know nothing but the most superficial concepts of. Please....for your own sake.
sorry but I didn't mean Dir en Grey = angura, I mean, I love when Kyo wears a kimono LIKE angura-kei. And yes, diru were never angura... ^_^

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff