Welcome to Gaia! ::

Invisible Humorist

Quote:
According to the Social Security Administration database, 328 babies, all girls, have been named Abcde in the United States. Since 1990, we’ve had Abcdes born every year except 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995 and 1996. The name was given to an all-time high of 32 babies in 2009, though the number has slightly declined each year since then. The median age of Abcdes is 7.5, and all but 11 of them are minors.

http://www.vocativ.com/culture/society/people-named-abcde/

so...when they go to kindergarten and recite their ABC's...lol

Conservative Genius

6,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
If you can't give your child an actual, pronounceable, REAL name, then you shouldn't breed or adopt. This is just one of those things that makes me worry about the future of parenting. Pretty soon, people will be naming their kids all sorts of things like "2", like they're some fast-food menu item. Or they'll just get lazy and name them things like "Ugh". Maybe they won't name them anything and just call them anything they feel like. "Hey, get over here, dumbass!" "But Dad, I thought I was called idiot." "Shut yo mouth, fool!" "Wait, so am I dumbass or fool?" emotion_facepalm

12,925 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Generous 100
Damorion215
If you can't give your child an actual, pronounceable, REAL name, then you shouldn't breed or adopt. This is just one of those things that makes me worry about the future of parenting. Pretty soon, people will be naming their kids all sorts of things like "2", like they're some fast-food menu item. Or they'll just get lazy and name them things like "Ugh". Maybe they won't name them anything and just call them anything they feel like. "Hey, get over here, dumbass!" "But Dad, I thought I was called idiot." "Shut yo mouth, fool!" "Wait, so am I dumbass or fool?" emotion_facepalm

Geez they can go to a library and look up a name. Many countries are already cracking the whip on parents who don't give their kids suitable names. It's pathetic that this got through.

How about when these names arrive automatically official names for the year will be inserted. They will never be the top 100 baby names unless they are someone with ambigous gender get unisex name because those are limited. Also there will be only two names allowed for each gender/sex.

Ex. In 2015 Kids are named Rufus Ned or Sage Bliss for boys. Girls Hester Rita or Trixie May. Bailey Robin or Reagan Francis.

In 2016 boy get the please of having Todd Kermit, Lanty Butch, Girls have Ancelote Briany or Lorelei Lee, while Unisexed: Lois Terry, Andy Lee.

Tipsy Smoker

Damorion215
I know it's a stupid name. But what does this have to do with breeding or adopting? Or parenting?

Invisible Humorist

Chahklet
Damorion215
I know it's a stupid name. But what does this have to do with breeding or adopting? Or parenting?

they're not thinking of the consequences (though i wouldn't go as far and say they are bad parents)

this reminds me of that nazi supporter family who named their kid Hitler. Yeah, it's just a name but history tells you otherwise. And having that kid go to school...who knows how'll he be treated

Bucktoothed Otaku

19,450 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Dressed Up 200
I wonder how many are named Mxyzptlk lol

Invisible Humorist

salsadipluva

how do you even pronounce that

Timid Phantom

16,650 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Fluff Healer 100
  • Fluff Rehab 200
GhostlyMark
salsadipluva

how do you even pronounce that

Mex-yiz-put-lick

rofl that's how I'd pronounce it anyway...XD

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Damorion215

All names are real names.

s**t, the name Caleb literally means dog. Every time you are calling a person Caleb, you are calling them dog. Even some names we think are normal are really weird once you do some research.

There are more important things to b***h about, like poverty.

Relentless Glitch

How many qwerty and asdfg?
That's funny, I'd think that Abcde would be a guy's name.

Conservative Genius

6,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Blood Valkyrie
Damorion215

s**t, the name Caleb literally means dog. Every time you are calling a person Caleb, you are calling them dog. Even some names we think are normal are really weird once you do some research.

And I can bet you that at least half of those 328 people are IN poverty. But no, if you're going to name your child something utterly ridiculous, it makes me severely question your parenting skills. I highly doubt a child named Abcde, Mxyzptlk, Qwerty, or Blue Ivy is gonna end up doing anything successful unless that child miraculously ends up being smart enough to pull off some incredible endeavors, let alone just change their "name" to something reasonable like John or Sally or Caleb.

Also, most baby books list the meaning for Caleb as "dog", which is true to an extent.. But the name "Caleb" has Hebrew origins, so in Hebrew, not only does the name mean "dog", but it also means "bold" or "whole-hearted". I highly doubt people would name their kid just to call them dog. So yeah, that is weird. I mean, my real name has Gaelic origins and means "warrior", but in German origins, it means "swamp". o -O

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Damorion215
Blood Valkyrie
Damorion215

And I can bet you that at least half of those 328 people are IN poverty. But no, if you're going to name your child something utterly ridiculous, it makes me severely question your parenting skills. I highly doubt a child named Abcde, Mxyzptlk, Qwerty, or Blue Ivy is gonna end up doing anything successful unless that child miraculously ends up being smart enough to pull off some incredible endeavors, let alone just change their "name" to something reasonable like John or Sally or Caleb.

Also, most baby books list the meaning for Caleb as "dog", which is true to an extent.. But the name "Caleb" has Hebrew origins, so in Hebrew, not only does the name mean "dog", but it also means "bold" or "whole-hearted". I highly doubt people would name their kid just to call them dog. So yeah, that is weird. I mean, my real name has Gaelic origins and means "warrior", but in German origins, it means "swamp". o -O

My point is, many normal names are seem stupid, and just because you give a kid an unusual name, doesn't mean you're a bad parent. There is no such thing as a reasonable or unreasonable name, in the grand scheme of things. Also, there is no reason to think half of the 328 people mentioned are in poverty. Besides, the fact that Abcde has no obvious meaning behind it makes it less stupid than other names, but that's just my opinion. Take China for example. They literally name their children words in their current language. Imagine meeting someone named Plum Love, Tall Friend, or King White. That's pretty much what it's like to talk to a Chinese person, if you speak the language. It gets very confusing in writing. In countries like Spain, UK, and such, the meanings of our names have been lost to older languages. So, we mostly pick our names on whether or not they are pretty. My defense for China is that they care more about the name's meanings. Personally, I think it's very silly to name your kid a word that is common in your native tongue, too confusing. It's probably because I live in a culture where the meaning of a name means nothing anymore; it's forgotten. It's weird. So, when I see a name that has no meaning to it, I think, "Wow, a neutral name!"

Basically ... to me ... the only thing that could possibly be offensive to me concerning a name, is the meaning behind the name, but even then I recognize that the only reason they have meanings is because we give them meanings. So, all I have to do is what people have been doing for centuries. Forget the meaning.

Greedy Drake

This reminds me of the lady who named her daughter after my little pony characters. Pinkamena Zecora Smith. I wonder which one id rather have. I think one of her friends named their kid optimus prime or something. I think id rather be optimus prime, even as a girl lul.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Jinglybell
This reminds me of the lady who named her daughter after my little pony characters. Pinkamena Zecora Smith. I wonder which one id rather have lul. I think one of her friends named their kid optimus prime or something. I think id rather be optimus prime, even as a girl lul.

I knew a woman a few years back, pregnant, and had picked out the names "Bella," ( after her grandmother ) if it was a girl, and either "Edward" ( after her grandfather ) or "Jacob" ( after her uncle ) if it was a boy . . . And the whole time she was explaining this to me, I was wondering if she really expected us to believe that she had no influence from Twilight, what so ever, in picking these names. Later, come to find out, she never had a grandmother named "Bella," or anything even vaguely resembling that name.

People that do that kinda thing, naming children after whatever fictional character's popular at the time, need to have their children taken away. I guarantee you, Little Baby Bella ( She had a girl ) is never going to attend a single class amongst folks her own age that doesn't have about a dozen other "Bellas" in it.

Going too unique when naming can cause problems later in life, sure, but I often think we overlook the potential pitfalls of going too generic.

Some countries actually have laws about what you can name your children. I wonder if we shouldn't have something similar in place to prevent life-destroying names, and maybe to declare a cutoff as to what percentage of children in a given year can be named any one name.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff