Welcome to Gaia! ::

Liberal Smoker

6,600 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Equidan
does anyone here have anthro dolls?

My only anthros are the DC Faramita I have on layaway, and the Impldoll Colin I just got yesterday. He's SO cool! I can NOT stop messing with him. lol

Kinedel's Wife

Divine Kitten

Courtney Laveau
Tora- Aww! Such sweet names! I don't even know what most of my dolls' names mean, except that Amir means "prince". smile (and I have such an extensive doll list, not sure you guys want me to post it....lol)

Haahaa! Thanks. heart Amaiko will just be only my third doll. sweatdrop I don't plan on having many...maybe two more at the most (a boy for Amaiko and another girl to represent my OC, Tora).

@ Everyone: Status on DM Kid Sona just changed to "Before Shipping"--now the real wait begins. whee

Sparkly Genius

@Equidan - I haven't seen anyone post so bluntly about recasts here, I actually find it refreshing. It's a topic I tend to avoid with people I don't know well yet because some collectors have such heated opinions about it. I answered the BJDAddicts recast prompt a while ago, here's a link to my video if you're interested:

As per your request, my Madison is the black haired girl laying down in this photo. And because people were talking about 5SD, I threw in my 5SD Ria, Max, in the photo. I have to say, Phaedra, I love what you did with your 5SD Michelle!
User Image

Timid Lunatic

Okay, major Kle spammage being dropped off~!
I'm just still so in love with his face~ <3
But ...I need to get him a better fitting pair of pants...

http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll424/Nightwitch_Neko/DSC01689_zps7d7d1868.jpg

http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll424/Nightwitch_Neko/DSC01727_zpsa0c30c92.jpg

http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll424/Nightwitch_Neko/DSC01702_zps90da520c.jpg

http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll424/Nightwitch_Neko/DSC01703_zps688168cb.jpg

http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll424/Nightwitch_Neko/DSC01711_zps5730d4f2.jpg

http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll424/Nightwitch_Neko/DSC01721_zps6fa3a065.jpg

http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll424/Nightwitch_Neko/DSC01722_zps4b587641.jpg

http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll424/Nightwitch_Neko/DSC01688_zpsaaf85d52.jpg

http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll424/Nightwitch_Neko/DSC01734_zps3440f208.jpg

http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll424/Nightwitch_Neko/DSC01735_zpsfeb87171.jpg

http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll424/Nightwitch_Neko/DSC01741_zps76d27084.jpg

http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll424/Nightwitch_Neko/DSC01742_zpsd81c0a6a.jpg

http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll424/Nightwitch_Neko/DSC01746_zps690694b0.jpg

http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll424/Nightwitch_Neko/DSC01752_zps68661ff2.jpg

http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll424/Nightwitch_Neko/DSC01761_zps2799e8f6.jpg

http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll424/Nightwitch_Neko/DSC01765_zps066f7c1c.jpg

http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll424/Nightwitch_Neko/DSC01767_zps76083227.jpg

http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll424/Nightwitch_Neko/DSC01769_zpsa795f4ea.jpg

http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll424/Nightwitch_Neko/DSC01770_zps321131cf.jpg

I also love his feet~

http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll424/Nightwitch_Neko/DSC01772_zps5441c321.jpg

I'll be getting to replies tomorrow, it's time for sleep now <@-@>

But not to be belated, welcome to the thread Equidan and Phaedra! :'D

Lonely Hoarder

12,050 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
hey i know its been like MONTHS since ive shown my face around these parts.

ive fallen out of the hobby for the most part.
mainly cause my photography sucks ******** monkey balls and i get super jealous when i look at everyone elses photos.....
plus ive been fighting depression like no tomorrow...its getting worse with my dads deathaversary coming up on the 27th...then the whole loss of a "boyfriend"
he dumped me... :l for no reason.
and my birthday is in november...and i know that will suck cause ill be alone and ill get nothing for my birthday...which means ill have to shell out a lot of money on my birthday to buy my own gifts. :/

ANYWAYS....i didnt come here to complain about how shitty my life is...believe it or not.

i sent seth off for a new faceup. so he is currently headless at the moment and i cant wait to see what the artist does.
im also looking for another iple jid boy...id look on the mp on DoA but i have quit that site for reasons i dont want to discuss.

King Fatcat

Spore XP
@Equidan - I haven't seen anyone post so bluntly about recasts here, I actually find it refreshing. It's a topic I tend to avoid with people I don't know well yet because some collectors have such heated opinions about it. I answered the BJDAddicts recast prompt a while ago, here's a link to my video if you're interested:

As per your request, my Madison is the black haired girl laying down in this photo. And because people were talking about 5SD, I threw in my 5SD Ria, Max, in the photo. I have to say, Phaedra, I love what you did with your 5SD Michelle!

User Image
User Image
I liked your video and agree with it, I didn't want to say Madison was a recast bc a lot of people dislike them, but he was a limited doll and I couldn't find him anyplace else for a price no higher than the original pricing, so I bought the recast. I can say that I was a little miffed when I got him because he came with the incorrect hooves? But I have grown to prefer the cloven hooves he has to the more horse looking hooves he should have come with.

Now Mollie's doll, they have it available of fairyland, but Mollie did not want to spend my money on that if we could find it for less. And I agree, since we both only collect dolls for ourselves, and not with any intent of resale, it doesn't seem like there should be an issue. I don't think it's bad to buy cheaper; so long as you are happy with it, what else matters? Mollie LOVES her doll, and she is happier knowing it didn't cost TOO much to purchase it.

I think Maddy is very cute! What style clothing do you prefer for your dolls? For Madison I prefer gothic or lolita/kodona styles. Or otherwise very pastely boy's clothes.

User Image

Shikairu Nara's Partner

Lonely Phantom

16,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Tenacious Spirit 250
  • Angelic Alliance 100
khrystyan
hey i know its been like MONTHS since ive shown my face around these parts.

ive fallen out of the hobby for the most part.
mainly cause my photography sucks ******** monkey balls and i get super jealous when i look at everyone elses photos.....
plus ive been fighting depression like no tomorrow...its getting worse with my dads deathaversary coming up on the 27th...then the whole loss of a "boyfriend"
he dumped me... :l for no reason.
and my birthday is in november...and i know that will suck cause ill be alone and ill get nothing for my birthday...which means ill have to shell out a lot of money on my birthday to buy my own gifts. :/

ANYWAYS....i didnt come here to complain about how shitty my life is...believe it or not.

i sent seth off for a new faceup. so he is currently headless at the moment and i cant wait to see what the artist does.
im also looking for another iple jid boy...id look on the mp on DoA but i have quit that site for reasons i dont want to discuss.

*huggles and loves on* I'm glad to see you back and I'm sorry that you have to fight depression, it's no fun. I hope you feel better and as for the boyfriend he doesnt know what he's missing you are awsome

Sparkly Genius

@Nightwitch - Woah spammage! XD I looked at all of them. I love how you have photos of Kle with some different types of trees. Your nature looks like the nature I have here, which makes me wonder where you live (even though I am sure the same sorts of trees are really everywhere - I guess I just associate maple leaves and birch bark with Canada) >__<

@Khrys - Hey nice to see you. Seems you didn't completely fall out of the hobby if Seth is being worked on! And don't be silly, your photographs are fantastic.

@Equidan - Glad you can agree with some of my points smile Glad you grew to like your doll, little issues like that can happen with recasts of course but if you are happy that's great. I've heard tragic recast stories but I have also heard ones where things turn out fantastic. The biggest issue I think is the potential for scamming. I am always wary of purchasing second hand anyhow.
Glad you like my Maddy! I'm not sure what I would call the style of clothes my dolls wear. Spore, the doll I am holding in the video, wears nerdy/hipster clothing. Nora, my MSD, goes from punk to goth-ish looking clothing, but I sometimes stick her in cutesy girly stuff too. My Souldoll Star, Paige, wears young adult borderline professional/business casual clothing and my little ones I put in non-specific things that look cute. All of my dolls are super regular looking, nothing fantastic about them! (well, Max has elf ears if that counts for anything?)

King Fatcat

Phaedra Lycoris
Equidan
does anyone here have anthro dolls?

My only anthros are the DC Faramita I have on layaway, and the Impldoll Colin I just got yesterday. He's SO cool! I can NOT stop messing with him. lol

User Image
User Image
That doll is really well made, but kind of scary too... The tail is cute, I'd like to put that tail on my demon doll I hope to get sooner or later. My demon character is a scorpion/bull mix! But I draw him with scorpion tail and demon tail, so it doesn't matter. It'd be neat to get a scorpion tail and hooves for him though... I was honestly thinking of getting the deviltaur cast from soom? It's very adorable. But I want the mint centaur also so I thought against it...

Mollie is like that with her Ante Elf, won't stop posing her. My doll has really tight strings, ever since I put hooves on him, so he's not as poseable. I'm thinking of trying to fix that by putting longer hook in his hands? Or remaking the hoof so it has a hook spot instead of just a hole there...

User Image

Lonely Hoarder

12,050 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
its funny you guys would gasp and stare at me in horror when i packed his head.

it went something like this:

places face protector rubber bands it...wraps head in one sheet of bubble wrap..sticks in game stop bag...then punches it into a small box forcing it to fit. ^^;

in any case the lady asked how much he should be insured for. i told her it was a doll head and shes all like oh so like $10? and i was like nooo $200 (should have insured it for more seeing as you cant just buy his head)
shes like no way..and i was like..yeah way.

Liberal Smoker

6,600 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Equidan
That doll is really well made, but kind of scary too... The tail is cute, I'd like to put that tail on my demon doll I hope to get sooner or later. My demon character is a scorpion/bull mix! But I draw him with scorpion tail and demon tail, so it doesn't matter. It'd be neat to get a scorpion tail and hooves for him though... I was honestly thinking of getting the deviltaur cast from soom? It's very adorable. But I want the mint centaur also so I thought against it...

Mollie is like that with her Ante Elf, won't stop posing her. My doll has really tight strings, ever since I put hooves on him, so he's not as poseable. I'm thinking of trying to fix that by putting longer hook in his hands? Or remaking the hoof so it has a hook spot instead of just a hole there...

I think they look a bit scarier/weirder in the WS that's shown on the Impl site. My boy, Penn, is a tan. And honestly, I think he's just adorable. He was actually a gift from a friend of mine, totally unexpected. I was so happy I cried a bit. xd

I'm not sure which Soom you're talking about. Honestly, I know SO little about Soom, I should probably look into them some more. smile

Hmm... longer hooks might help. Can you resting your doll? I know my 5Star girl, Mitchie, was so tight when I got her that I chewed up her wrists a bit just posing her. I gave her new, slightly longer, string and now she's a dream!

Khyrstyan - That... sounds like how I pack heads, if that's all that's going... ninja

King Fatcat

Spore XP
@Equidan - Glad you can agree with some of my points smile Glad you grew to like your doll, little issues like that can happen with recasts of course but if you are happy that's great. I've heard tragic recast stories but I have also heard ones where things turn out fantastic. The biggest issue I think is the potential for scamming. I am always wary of purchasing second hand anyhow.
Glad you like my Maddy! I'm not sure what I would call the style of clothes my dolls wear. Spore, the doll I am holding in the video, wears nerdy/hipster clothing. Nora, my MSD, goes from punk to goth-ish looking clothing, but I sometimes stick her in cutesy girly stuff too. My Souldoll Star, Paige, wears young adult borderline professional/business casual clothing and my little ones I put in non-specific things that look cute. All of my dolls are super regular looking, nothing fantastic about them! (well, Max has elf ears if that counts for anything?)

User Image
User Image
I don't think it's so much of a problem, because the hooves I got look and fit the same as the ones I should have gotten, the only difference is the small hole in front to make the cloven look. Even the other ones have an indent in the same shape, just less deep seated. So it wasn't a big problem... Plus most unicorns are depicted with cloven hooves in mythology!

I think if I get more money in the future I would buy them from the original maker, but all the dolls I want are older limited dolls that aren't sold anymore! So that kinda sucks...

im getting madison a face up next month! he's going to look super gothic and majestic, i hope.

User Image

King Fatcat

Phaedra Lycoris
Equidan

I think they look a bit scarier/weirder in the WS that's shown on the Impl site. My boy, Penn, is a tan. And honestly, I think he's just adorable. He was actually a gift from a friend of mine, totally unexpected. I was so happy I cried a bit. xd

I'm not sure which Soom you're talking about. Honestly, I know SO little about Soom, I should probably look into them some more. smile

Hmm... longer hooks might help. Can you resting your doll? I know my 5Star girl, Mitchie, was so tight when I got her that I chewed up her wrists a bit just posing her. I gave her new, slightly longer, string and now she's a dream!

User Image
User Image
I'm not sure how I would restring him, but I did remove his lower legs and feet to put on hooves and anthro legs, so i suppose it is possible. I'll try getting the longer hooks first, see if it helps. Because he was fine when I first got him, it's the hooves that messed him up. He's still not too tightly strung, he just doesn't like to extend his arms for very long.

i don't know much about anything but soom, so it's understandable. you know what you're into i guess! i just love soom dolls... i also like pipos, but not enough to get one? i am tempted by the frog anthro tho...

User Image

Obsessive Cultist

@Courtney: Aw, Ryu is one of my favorites! He and Miho were the first Migis I ever saw.

@Equidan: I was kinda thinking that already, seeing your comments about Picro and Sammi, being new to the hobby and at the same time having a long sold out limited Soom doll. lol.

I'm one of those people with very strong opinions against recasts, but I'm not here to bash anyone personally because they own one. That's pointless and unnecessary. If you're cool, I'm cool and we can get along, no matter what dolls you have.
But I'm not gonna pretend to not care about the current recast issue either, because I think it's very disheartening to see how some random recasters in China make a s**t ton of money by illegally using other people's - the original company's - work. All they do is pour resin into a mold that's not theirs. And people don't even seem to see how they don't only hurt the original company, but still rip off their own customers too. Recasts are still ridiculously overpriced, seeing the lack of production / business costs a recaster has vs. a company who cares about quality control, hires actual sculptors, translators, face up artists and has to pay for webhosting as well as possibly rent for business rooms etc. to please their customers and keep up their business.

If a company even is that big to be able to afford any of that and isn't just a one or two person business operating from a single office or their home, what most, especially new people in the hobby, don't seem to realize is often the case.
And I've seen the arguments "Oh no, only limiteds! Only "big" companies! Never artist dolls! No no, we'd never get recasts of that", but let's not kid ourselves. Migidoll is a good example. I've seen her dolls get requested and fakes being sold, when as far as I know, she operates her business herself and only had a face up artist hired in the meantime because she doesn't do those. That's pretty much it.
Even the supposedly huge companies like Fairyland, Soom and Iplehouse have no more than the average 15 - 30 employees. Hurting their business hurts these people directly. We're not dealing with giants like Apple, Nike or whatever here.

I won't be surprised if one or more of these companies just closes their doors one day, provided this recent recast craze continues. For example, Mr. Dollshe's done it before and I'm sure he'll do it again, maybe for good this time and honestly, I wouldn't blame him. Maybe that would actually be good for opening some people's eyes here and make them realize that their actions have consequences.
Sadly, the names in this hobby are too small to be recognized by the authorities, or otherwise maybe one or two people would get their asses handed over to them by customs to begin with, like they would while trying to import big brand fakes.
For example, I got a pocket-sized mirror that is made to look like a miniature MacBook for my dolls before I actually looked into all that. Now I wouldn't get it a second time. I make my own props for my own private use and no money exchanges hands where it shouldn't.
But a girl in the German BJD community recently got slapped with a 1000 Euro / 1300 USD fine for buying doll sized Nike shoes off ebay. Crazy, huh? Now I don't think that's fair or is in any kind of reasonable ratio to the damage she caused Nike (pretty much none, because they don't produce shoes that size but! they potentially could in the future and had still have their name, designs and logo used illegally), but it's a good example for actions vs. consequences people usually have to consider when they support theft like that, which, as I said, sadly isn't the case with recasted dolls in a niche hobby.

Another thing that really puts me off the recast community in general is the hypocrisy within their own ranks. So called artists supporting recasting other artist's work, while simultaneously trying to sell their homemade heads or whatever for not exactly cheap either.
Now what I'd love to see is people request those heads be recasted right there and see the bawwing that would ensue because "Omg no, they're an artist! Can't recast that, nope nope. Let's get back to recasting faceless 1 person companies on a different continent because that's ok *wink wink*".

Not even gonna get deeper into the drastic potential for scamming fellow collectors here. People might say they only buy recasts for themselves and would never ever sell them to others pretending it's the real deal (and might actually mean that) but I've seen too many people getting scammed already to be able to take that all too seriously. Especially when money suddenly gets tight, it's interesting to see how little people suddenly care about what they have to do to help themselves.

And I'm wondering whatever happened to accepting that you just can't have something right when you want it. I've been interested in the BJD hobby for years and wanted a doll so desperately, but I didn't get one because I couldn't afford it due to still being in high school with no additional job. So what did I do? I waited! Until I finished school, started earning my own money, saved up for another year(!) and only then did I finally have enough to buy my first dolls.
And trust me there's so much other stuff I want but probably can not ever afford. But hey, surprise, I'm still doing fine without. Because these things are unnecessary and just luxuries. Much as BJDs. You (general you) don't need one to live, you don't need one to be happy, you don't need one period.

Even that argument about only going for already sold out limiteds doesn't quite work in most cases. Sure, I can understand not wanting to pay triple of what a doll originally cost to some scalper on the second hand market. But that's one of the reasons many companies now start re-selling their limited dolls or at least re-sell them as slightly different versions.
I'll take one of my own dolls as an example here. Ever since I started seriously looking around for a first BJD to buy, I was in love with Soom's Sard. But I didn't have nearly enough money for him during his original ordering period (I believe the Night Odyssey version was sold 4 years ago). And neither did I want to spend up to $3000 USD for this doll on the second hand market later on, but behold! Soom has re-released this sculpt twice since then (3 times, if you count the Special Order version with human ears, 4 times if you count the Dia sculpt which was the base for Sard and is available as a standard doll at all times) and I was able to get him in one of these events, fantasy parts, original face up and everything included. The only difference is his skin tone, as mine now is normal skin and the Night Odyssey version was white skin only. He is still my dream doll and I'm happy I was patient enough to wait for him and get a legit version.

Or as another general example of a company who is very, very often recasted: Iplehouse. Pretty much all their limiteds become available as standards later on, often in a hilarious variety of skin tones through their custom doll system, giving people way more than enough time to save up for them with no rush at all. Yet still many resort to getting recasts. What's the argument for that? There is none. It's just greed, plain and simple. And there's nothing respectable about that.

Phew. Sorry for the long post, but you asked for opinions gaia_kittenstar

Tipsy Dabbler

6,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
@Recasts - Okay. I guess I'm like Spore: The only dolls I've really liked anyway have not been limiteds, so I don't think I would ever buy a recast myself since the dolls I want are still available from the companies and I don't think I have to worry about them disappearing. I'm not going to hold it against someone if they buy a recast (especially accidentally) because it's their choice.

But it IS illegal, for one thing. For another, yes I'm ... sort of an artist, I guess, I try anyway, and I have been designing some crazy dresses I want to make lately and I'm like, torn up on whether I want to post them on DA or not because I don't want someone to take the dress style and make it themselves before my sewing skills get up to where I can make it myself.

My issue with recasts more than anything is watching the raging s*** storm that brews anytime someone mentions it. I could go into a rant longer than what Hatsya posted relating to how that reflects upon human society, but I won't, because that's another s*** storm in and of itself. I really dislike that when I checked the BJD Addicts community on FB last night there was a post of a screenshot of I guess a recasting community on Facebook talking about recasting an artist doll because "Oh they're so expensive!" (I looked, and they really don't seem that expensive to me, sort of mid-range.) And between the people saying "YOU NEED TO BLUR OUT THE NAMES COS IT'S AGAINST FACEBOOK TOU" and the other person whining "But these people need punished! Why are you attacking me when they're doing what's illegal?" .... Okay. Seriously. What they are doing is called Slander and Defamation, and guess what? That's a crime as well.

That is what I don't like about recasts. I don't want to say, "keep quiet about your recasts" but at the same time, it's starting to be at the point where you know you're lighting that can of dynamite by mentioning them. And it's starting to feel like there are people who seek out drama and are buying recasts for that purpose.

That said I would potentially make my own recast or something to try modding on before I did it to my main doll, and it would just be the head most likely or something I can test a technique for like, carving before I muck up a real head... and there's no way I'd sell a mutilated head of course. >_>

On a lighter note:

User Image

Get these things out of mah FACE. I kind of wish I hadn't downloaded Instagram and jumped on that poser photographer train, but at the same time, it's fun to muck with cellphone pics and make them look marginally nicer.

Okay so last night my mother had a really cool idea for the dummy doll, based on the beer box we had sitting around. It's got four windows in the one side because it was a sampler box, and she said I should paint it and turn it into a one-sided cage, put the dummy doll in a fur-suit and give it a creepy big teeth face painting, make some like, carcass bits out of sculpey... You get the idea.

I am totally down with this. My mother is awesome.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff