Welcome to Gaia! ::

Nitroglycerific Rainbow
GhostlyMark
The Forbidden Soul
My guess is they don't want you to be in surgery and then the Dr notices you can donate and your organs match x patient who is worth more than you in money terms so they let you die to serve the other patient.

Has this happened before?...holy s**t..
Doubtful, and if it has, it's been tremendously sparse. Doctors are still obligated to take the Hippocratic Oath, which insists that doctors above all do no harm. That means try to save everyone, not save the profitable guy with the poor guy's organs.
The Hippocratic Oath isn't legally binding, it's just a nod to the past and the prestige of what it means to be a doctor on the day of your graduation, if anything, and some medical schools don't even bother with it as part of the ceremony. Anyway, using common sense organ transplants aren't just "Oh that kidney looks good. "Nurse could you bring in Mr Smith please? He's my 2 o'clock consultation and he could really do with a new one." And I'll pop this in there, connect that and 10 minutes later job's a good'un and it's time for a tea break. High fives all round." It might come as a shock to some but it's a hugely complex process and it never amazes me to see people today trivialise it, when not long ago organ transplantation was still well in the realm of mythology and science fiction.

People want facts? Transplant teams are completely separate to whoever's treating you. There is absolutely no conflict of interest whatsoever. And if you didn't already know, you can't just pop in any old organ into just about anyone, who happens to be right there and ready to go for their shiny new organ btw, connect the tubes, cross your fingers and it'll work. People that think there's some conspiracy around doctors harvesting organs for their richer patients are simply naive and completely lacking some common sense, because it's totally believable that a surgeon can just suddenly "notice" someone can donate an organ to someone rich they know that just happens to be looking for one just like it, like you notice your shoelace is untied as you go about your day. rolleyes

Consumer

This Isnt Sparta
This reminds me of when my mother found out I had donated blood. She was annoyed with me because I did so, and didnt want me to do it again. I was like "what the heck?" Giving a part of yourself that could potentially save one's life is a bad thing? Im up for doing it again, but Ive been too busy to hit up blood drives when they're in town.

Im not an organ donor, but Im not against the idea of becoming one. Its one of those things you need to think long and hard about. I live pretty healthy, no smoking, the occasional alcohol buzz about once a month, and I would willingly donate my organs. I dont see why parents think its a bad idea.

what? i dont get this, what would she have against you donating blood? i know some religions have a thing about organ donation but blood?

is your mom ok with receiving blood or with you receiving blood?

Invisible Lunatic

Are your parents religious? That's the only reason I can think of for anybody to be against someone's body being used to help others after they pass.

No one's ever asked me to 'sign here to become an organ donor'.
Nitroglycerific Rainbow
Raven Winter
Nitroglycerific Rainbow
Raven Winter
Nitroglycerific Rainbow
Doubtful, and if it has, it's been tremendously sparse. Doctors are still obligated to take the Hippocratic Oath, which insists that doctors above all do no harm. That means try to save everyone, not save the profitable guy with the poor guy's organs.

Actually, while both are fairly common misconceptions, the Hippocratic Oath neither is legally binding (and there is no punishment for breaking it) nor does it anywhere include the words "do no harm".
Huh. TIL. Thanks. Imma feel waaaaay less comfortable around doctors than I already did. lol

Well, there's no punishment for breaking it, but breaking it also generally happens to entail malpractice, which is, y'know. Criminal.
Still, I held a lot of respect and weight for that oath. It's... unsettling to know it doesn't matter now.

Did you think every medical student says the oath out loud by their bed side before every night's sleep? And a framed copy hangs at the front of every teaching room in every medical school around the world? If someone needs a revamped version of an ancient oath to point out what's expected of them as a doctor I'd not only be concerned about what kind of a person they are and how they can go by years of education, interaction and conditioning with their head in the clouds but also the competence of the admissions team that gave them a place on their course and the medschool and their local hospitals that graduated them.
Tute Sweet
The way I see it, if you would accept a transplant if you needed one, you're horrendously selfish and a prize t**t if you're not an organ donor.

I'm an organ donor and I have also filled in a consent form that specifies that what is left of my body (after any valid organ donations) is to be donated to the nearest medical school. My parents don't approve- they think if I do that I can't be resurrected when Jesus comes back. rolleyes

"t**t" You live in the UK right? If you're interested in donating your body to medical education I know you yourself have got to approach your local medschool's anatomy department (contact deets will be online) and organise it that way. Without that process, where you've explicitly contacted them for donation, whatever you've signed won't be enough. But good on you for that, I've got a lot of respect for that level of generosity, thanks!

Girl-Crazy Lunatic

10,750 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Timid 100
  • Clambake 200
MegaTurkey
Did you think every medical student says the oath out loud by their bed side before every night's sleep? And a framed copy hangs at the front of every teaching room in every medical school around the world?.

... Kinda. redface
Nitroglycerific Rainbow
MegaTurkey
Did you think every medical student says the oath out loud by their bed side before every night's sleep? And a framed copy hangs at the front of every teaching room in every medical school around the world?.

... Kinda. redface
Haha it's fine, there's a copy of it in the front of the Ox Handbook (a medstudent/ junior doc's bible) and you usually have a read on a particularly slow day on rheumaholiday.

Invisible Humorist

RyaZombie
Are your parents religious? That's the only reason I can think of for anybody to be against someone's body being used to help others after they pass.

No one's ever asked me to 'sign here to become an organ donor'.

yep

step father is a pastor

Shy Gaian

3,650 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
I am an organ donor. After death, I prefer my organs to go towards research for my neurological condition.

Ladykiller

I'm an organ donor. If I'm dead I have no use for them. My late aunt had been on the waiting list for a kidney for years. It never happened.

Familiar Poster

6,500 Points
  • Restorative Spirit 250
  • Hygienic 200
  • Forum Regular 100
how can anybody be against somebody choosing to be an rgan donator? and by the way, how is it their business what you choose to do with your body? especially when you won;t be using it by then anyway?

as for me.... well, no, I'm not an organ donor. the reason why, is... because I don't know how to become one. redface who do I ask? does it cost anything? do I need my SSN or Birth Certificate or anything like that? where do I go to register? is it at the hospital? a special phone number? do I just wait for somebody to come to my house and ask me?

I think that it would be awesome if everyone were an organ donor. and frankly, I don't want my dead body going to waste. I don't approve of traditional funeral options. cremation or burial in a coffin? really? that's so wasteful! I want my body to be fed to something living, and my organs to be used to save somebody's life!

Invisible Humorist

SpanishHeart27
I am an organ donor. After death, I prefer my organs to go towards research for my neurological condition.

What's your condition?

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
im an organ doner because i like the idea of parts of me living in someone else then when they die my organs can go to a new person and so on until the end of the world

in all seriousness though i figure when im dead i really wont care what my organs are doing so if they can help someone else then yeah sure

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff