10,750 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Timid 100
  • Clambake 200
Raven Winter
Nitroglycerific Rainbow
GhostlyMark
The Forbidden Soul
My guess is they don't want you to be in surgery and then the Dr notices you can donate and your organs match x patient who is worth more than you in money terms so they let you die to serve the other patient.

Has this happened before?...holy s**t..
Doubtful, and if it has, it's been tremendously sparse. Doctors are still obligated to take the Hippocratic Oath, which insists that doctors above all do no harm. That means try to save everyone, not save the profitable guy with the poor guy's organs.

Actually, while both are fairly common misconceptions, the Hippocratic Oath neither is legally binding (and there is no punishment for breaking it) nor does it anywhere include the words "do no harm".
Huh. TIL. Thanks. Imma feel waaaaay less comfortable around doctors than I already did. lol

Borg

Are you an organ donor? Why?
Yes. When I die, maybe my organ will help some other grrl see better or something:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

If not, why?
I can't give blood because of my medications, so I don't accept blood either. I turned down a transfusion when I was in ICU a couple of years ago after losing a lot of blood. Didn't seem right.

Cremation should not be the word to represent burning stuff..sounds too swet to me
I went to school with a guy named "Cremains" (first name was "Rusty", so he was forever "Crusty Remains”).

The first family member I lost was my grandmother. She was cremated. Despite the situation, I still remember trying to keep a straight face when the guy at the funeral home asked if we wanted an urn for the "cremains" (which I learned was industry jargon for "cremated remains”).

I guess they think "cremains" sounds nicer than "ashes". Or "toast crumbs”.

emo

Wanna see the huge pizza I ate?
After you've eaten it?

Umm...I think I see another thread I have to reply to in another forum on the other side of the site. Maybe later, OK?

Heh.

Timid Combatant

13,690 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
Nitroglycerific Rainbow
Raven Winter
Nitroglycerific Rainbow
GhostlyMark
The Forbidden Soul
My guess is they don't want you to be in surgery and then the Dr notices you can donate and your organs match x patient who is worth more than you in money terms so they let you die to serve the other patient.

Doubtful, and if it has, it's been tremendously sparse. Doctors are still obligated to take the Hippocratic Oath, which insists that doctors above all do no harm. That means try to save everyone, not save the profitable guy with the poor guy's organs.

Actually, while both are fairly common misconceptions, the Hippocratic Oath neither is legally binding (and there is no punishment for breaking it) nor does it anywhere include the words "do no harm".
Huh. TIL. Thanks. Imma feel waaaaay less comfortable around doctors than I already did. lol

Well, there's no punishment for breaking it, but breaking it also generally happens to entail malpractice, which is, y'know. Criminal.

Girl-Crazy Lunatic

10,750 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Timid 100
  • Clambake 200
Raven Winter
Nitroglycerific Rainbow
Raven Winter
Nitroglycerific Rainbow
GhostlyMark
The Forbidden Soul

Well, there's no punishment for breaking it, but breaking it also generally happens to entail malpractice, which is, y'know. Criminal.
Still, I held a lot of respect and weight for that oath. It's... unsettling to know it doesn't matter now.

Noob

I'm an organ donor. My mother doesn't approve, mainly because she's a very traditional Portuguese person. I'd like for all of my organs to be donated, except my heart. For what I want to happen to my heart after it is cremated, I will decide. But I'd like as much as is usable of me to be used on someone else, to better them and give them a chance.

Timid Combatant

13,690 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
Nitroglycerific Rainbow
Raven Winter
Nitroglycerific Rainbow
Raven Winter
Nitroglycerific Rainbow

Still, I held a lot of respect and weight for that oath. It's... unsettling to know it doesn't matter now.

I wouldn't say it not being legally enforced makes it irrelevant. Many medical students and professionals feel the same way about it, and take the Oath very seriously (although it isn't used in some schools). It's a personal matter, really.

Demonic Ally

Brother Kam
I think it's stupid that people have qualms about being organ donors. The only thing I could say is if say someone was an alcoholic obviously they shouldn't donate a liver BUT I realized they test these kinds of things and if it's a bad organ it goes to colleges for dissection and study etc. It's selfish of people unless it's a religious practice (and even then, meh) to be AGAINST organ donation upon death. People don't realize how many millions of lives that s**t saves every year.

Organs don't grow on trees . . . . yet. Believe me I've tried, my kidney tree hasn't even sprouted yet.
explain kidney beans
Weasels-1 Athiests-0

Borg

Raven Winter
Nitroglycerific Rainbow
Raven Winter
Nitroglycerific Rainbow
Raven Winter

I wouldn't say it not being legally enforced makes it irrelevant. Many medical students and professionals feel the same way about it, and take the Oath very seriously (although it isn't used in some schools). It's a personal matter, really.

The original oath, if I remember right, forbad physicians from surgery (that being the domain of surgeons), euthanasia, and administration of abortifacients.

As I posted in another thread a while back, I'm kinda partial to the Declaration of Geneva oath:

Quote:
At the time of being admitted as a member of the medical profession:

• I solemnly pledge to consecrate my life to the service of humanity;
  • I will give to my teachers the respect and gratitude that is their due;
  • I will practice my profession with conscience and dignity;
  • The health of my patient will be my first consideration;
  • I will respect the secrets that are confided in me, even after the patient has died;
  • I will maintain by all the means in my power, the honour and the noble traditions of the medical profession;
  • My colleagues will be my sisters and brothers;
  • I will not permit considerations of age, disease or disability, creed, ethnic origin, gender, nationality, political affiliation, race, sexual orientation, social standing or any other factor to intervene between my duty and my patient;
  • I will maintain the utmost respect for human life;
  • I will not use my medical knowledge to violate human rights and civil liberties, even under threat;
  • I make these promises solemnly, freely and upon my honour.

I'm not sure where the "first, do no harm" commandment originated...I think its provenance is kinda murky. I remember Dr. Gillespie uses it in the Dr. Kildare movies, so I'm going to attribute it to Lionel Barrymore.

*waves her cane about* "PAA-KAAAA!!! PAAA-KAA!!! Where is that blasted woman?"*

*I just received an achievement for making my 11,630th** uninteresting and obscure reference no one gets.
**That's 11,631...

Tipsy Kitten

8,800 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I support those who do want to donate their organs, but I just...can't get past the idea of someone else having pieces of my body inside theirs or using pieces of my body, especially my eyes or heart.

It really freaks me out and I know that when I'm dead it won't really matter, but I don't want people harvesting the organs from my body like some sort of weird crop. It's a decision I have to make while I'm living and like I said, it's just not one I can get past. The knowledge that I'm giving someone permission to take some of my organs when I'm dead is just not something I can live with, it really freaks me out too much. It turns me off the idea even more when people try to guilt-trip me over it.

I'm not even sure how I feel about getting a transplant, but I suppose that doesn't matter unless the time comes where I need one (which is highly unlikely unless I'm in some sort of crazy accident since I do my best to take care of myself).

Again I do support people who want to do it, and I wish I was one of those who was okay with it, but I'm just not at this point.

Anyway, I can't because I have a whole slew of health problems that make me a bad donor.
So in the end it doesn't really matter how I feel about it, I guess.

Invisible Humorist

Jason0690
Quote:
How a ghost is able to give organs.

To other ghosts in need?
Quote:
Are you an organ donor? Why?

Well, I'm not going to be using my organs once dead.
Quote:
If not, why?

N/A
Quote:
Cremation should not be the word to represent burning stuff..sounds too sweet to me

I prefer Incendiary burial.
Quote:
Wanna see the huge pizza I ate?

Lol, Pizza is for dinner here too XD.

I also have no desire to live in agony or having to be kept alive by machine for more than a month.

My dad wasn't keen on it either, the only reason he ever gave me was that he wanted "his son whole" if I ever died before him.
But there's no way for me to be "whole" now, I'm missing all four wisdom teeth, two adult teeth, a nut, and a gallbladder.

However, I strongly suggest that my liver, heart, and pancreas not be taken because of liver disease(Usually cirrhosis.), heart attacks, and diabetes running in the family.
But I guess a diseased liver is better than no liver?

How did you lose a testicle?

Interesting Genius

14,250 Points
  • Converting 100 items 100
  • Fusion Apprentice 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
I'm an organ donor because when I'm gone I don't be able to use them.
I'm an organ donor, but other than my heart, I don't think my organs are really worth it, the person who'll get them will be quite disappointed.

Dainty Doll

The way I see it, if you would accept a transplant if you needed one, you're horrendously selfish and a prize t**t if you're not an organ donor.

I'm an organ donor and I have also filled in a consent form that specifies that what is left of my body (after any valid organ donations) is to be donated to the nearest medical school. My parents don't approve- they think if I do that I can't be resurrected when Jesus comes back. rolleyes

Hellraiser

I am not.
As much as I like blood and guts, I get uncomfortable at the thought of mine being out my body.
burning_eyes

Shy Fairy

8,300 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Your body, your choice.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash