Invisible Gekko

18,700 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
User Image
Used the report banner for the time being

Another Friday, another new REI, a sci-fi inspired to add too emotion_kirakira
Wonder what mysterious wonder's this REI will have.

{ Intro Announcement }

User Image
(499 GC)

If there were history books around any more, they'd say that this is where it all started to collapse.

Discussion!
What do you think of this REI?
What do you expect?
A REI about the series of LQIs that take place in a dystopian world!
What do you hope for this REI?
No paws : c

Invisible Gekko

18,700 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
The Story

User Image

Quote:
Unresolvable error.

She's there, of course. You never told her anything. You'd submitted to the ripper's ministrations and you'd drawn a sword in the transport but you'd never told the corporation's secrets. You have your standards, your moral code. It's not like you aren't a person.

You didn't have to, anyway. She knows you. She remembers you. Of course she does.

Deacon has a smile like the sun. She always did, even before. She steps over the body like it's so much flotsam (it is, on a tide of change) and her arms are open for you.

Her army's behind her, clustered in the shadows of the Nightside's derelict buildings, but you've only got eyes for her. You only ever had eyes for her.

"I am sorry," she says, all benevolent grace. "This will hurt." She sinks her fingers into the back of your neck, where the implant's wires lead up to your synthetic eardrums, your alloy eyes.

"No more secrets," she says.

It does hurt. It's worth it.

ERROR: No further data.
Error resolved! ^_^
Deactivating immersive simulation.

Critical malfunction. Recommend disconnect. Initiating force stop in three--

Blue fumbles back, clawing at the port, trying to break free of the grip of the sim, and when he succeeds he finds himself breathless on the floor of the office, the halogen lights painful-bright.

"Grey," he says. "Grey. It was Pariah--"

"Blue," says Grey, gently perplexed.

"It was Pariah. But why would she leave the implant? Why would she--"

He looks up at Grey, at Grey's sad smile, at the way Grey's eyes catch the light in a way that is not right.

"It was a love letter. A directive. It wasn't meant for you. I'm sorry," says Grey, in the way you'd say it to a mouse you had to trap. "I wasn't sure. But now I'm sure."

You've heard stories about people caught in immersive sims. You've heard stories about the knot of memories that are yours and aren't yours, the way some of the Watchdogs were retired when they could no longer untangle their feelings from those of investigation targets. Grey had told you the sim went fine on his end. But you'd lied, hadn't you? "Grey," you say. "No. Listen--"

"You're free when you're dead," says Grey, his body moving oddly underneath his coat, in a way that a person's body shouldn't move. "Take that as a comfort. We'll never be free, not really, just more free. But you will."

This is where it all starts.

replay archive?

The Faithful (her old name clawed out of her with the implant, with the defaced marks on her brow) looks out over the ruin that was once the city, a hulk lit alternately by torches and pale blue light, haunted with the noises of sirens and gunfire and laughter, and she turns the recorder over and over in her bloodless hands.

< no. >

She rises. There is no sun, only the thick pallor of black smoke that has hung since the collapse and the roiling, sickly yellow of the perpetual cloud-cover, but she barely remembers it and here, now, among the flock in the new world of the Wasteland, she doesn't need it. She has one better, one that she has earned the right to bask in: the Deacon, placing her cold hand on her shoulder, smiles.

Evo 5

User Image

Quote:
--he looks so fragile, you think again; a sack of skin and blood held together with a laughably archaic calcified framework.

How strange we they are. Still, it's unfortunate. He is, technically, an innocent. But needs must.

< grey. grey-- >

< blue? got a major glitch out here. can't see you at all, entire sim went dark. the vultures-- >

You flex your hands against your knees, and the panels slide open beneath the gloves. The ripper's work thrums within your ribs, straining against the shielding that's hidden it, thus far, from the routine scans that had you breaking out into a cold sweat every week. The ripper had done well, even if she'd worked with hands covered in motor oil.

Unresolvable error.

"I'm sorry," you say, and you mean it the way you'd apologize to a mouse you had to trap.

"For what?" he it says.

"She makes," you whisper, "a very persuasive case."

The transport jostles along the road. They're soundproof and dark-windowed and self-propelled because the corporations have secrets to keep.

They didn't expect that you'd have them too. They've always underestimated you. They've always held you back, constrained you to an arbitrary ratio of flesh to metal, branded you as property. They trained you to treat this like a game, and they taught you how to win, and then they tried to take your toys away.

The transport trundles to a hissing stop at the rendezvous, and when it opens 482's body tumbles out, shoved by the toe of a
mechanical leg.

Evo 4

User Image

Quote:
"So what is it?"

Pariah is jolted from whatever reverie she's in. "The target?"

"Yeah."

"A lurker."

There's a crowded pause. "Are you--"

"I'm not joking."

"They're not... real, though."

"Of course they're real. You think the enhancement corp guys want people to know what happens when you get one augmentation too many? It's just good PR that they've cast them as some sort of anti-tech bogeymen. But they're not fairy tales. They're morality tales."

"So are the... the rest of the stories--"

She watches Unit-482 as he's bounced haplessly in his seat. The transport's old; the shocks are bad. In the NS district the streets are in ill repair. He seems (to Blue, to Pariah; Blue can't tell) very small, and very fragile.

"Some of them."

"Are there... I mean, are all your targets lurkers?"

"No. When you think you're better than mere humans you tend to get yourself into enough trouble that you are your own best solution to the problem you present."

"Why this one then?"

"Because she's one of us, for one. Recon. Turned. You know that little form you signed, saying you won't get unauthorized implants and the penalties for it? That's not because they're afraid of black market tampering, or some ripper doc getting hands on corp secrets while they're rooting around in your spinal column. That's--"

"--Oh god."

"Yeah. You're a couple of designer eyeballs and a sili-tat away from inhumanity, kid." She says it cheerfully, snapping on her gloves. Blue has never heard Pariah sound cheerful before, not that he's had much chance. He's heard that about Recon, though. Happiest when they're knee-deep in someone else's blood and coolant. "And Deacon makes a persuasive case for inhumanity, to those willing to listen--and there's plenty of those, running around with one piece of tech too many. She's got charisma. Never shoulda been Recon in the first place. Dangerous place to be charismatic. No wonder she tried to find other outlets."

"So why are they just sending two of us?"

"Don't panic. Two's more than enough. 'Less you're afraid of a little charisma."

Unit 482 is young, with an unmarked brow, and he looks so--

Unresolvable error.
Immersive simulation activated.

--human.

Evo 3

User Image

Quote:
"One of the best units on the force," says Grey, clicking his tongue sympathetically as he watches the simulated Pariah stare straight ahead, calm and guarded. "One of the most tenured, too. Shame to lose her."

"Pretty terrible cafeteria buddy, as I recall. Rules lawyer. Had a righteous stick--"

"Well, you can't have everything."

"I guess they wouldn't send less than the best after Deacon. Been stirring up trouble for months now."

"Pretty sure the brass is afraid of a genuine uprising. They spent too long trying to suppress the media, if you ask me, and not enough time trying to take care of the actual problem." A pause. "Probably why we lost her. Too afraid of sending a big team, figured it'd draw attention, so they send out their best recon and a lowly trainee so no one's keeping tabs, try to do it subtle."

"They find her body? Or did it end up going black market scrap?"

"Just the implant. Odd thing to ditch, but maybe the merc vultures didn't want anything to do with corp secrets--too dangerous."

Blue watches Unit 482 fidgeting nervously with the wires of his mouthpiece. His brow is still clean and unmarked. He's not property of the Corporation yet, and now, thinks Blue, he never will be.

"You're free when you're dead," says Grey, like he'd heard the thought, and he's not looking at Unit 482. He's looking at Pariah.

Evo 2

User Image

Quote:
The simulation flickers: there's Unit 482, nervous-eyed under the mask. Pariah flexes her hands against her knees.

Unresolvable error in separation layer. Activating immersive simulation.
You flex your hands against your knees. Unit 482 is nervous-eyed under the mask.

You remember--

Unresolvable error
██████████ █████ grins at you. There's motor oil on her hands.

"It'll only hurt a bit," she says. You can't stop staring at the tool belt, at the ball bearings and blinking gadgets. At the knives.

Unresolvable error
█████ has a smile like the sun.

Unresolvable error
this is for the greater good, you think

< grey? grey? stuck in an archive loop. >

Unresolva
??? ? ????? ?
Error resolved! ^_^
Immersive simulation deactivated

Pariah flexes her hands against her knees.

"Where were you?" says Grey, crouching to examine the oblivious simulation of Trainee Recon Unit 482.

"Authorization lag," you lie. You've heard stories about what happens to people caught in immersive sims.

(You can't stop thinking about her tool belt. █████ has a smile like the sun.)

Evo 1

User Image

Quote:
Brief: Department-standard surveillance unit recovered from site NS-[REDACTED], identified as implanted original in Recon Unit 897 Codename Pariah. Item recovered by Vulture squad alongside evidence contained in file I-Rep-L(897) and body of Trainee Recon Unit 482 (codename unassigned). Trainee Recon Unit 482 surveillance unit not discovered. Recommend search of Vulture squad personal effects.

Dispatch: Watchdog Blue and Watchdog Grey assigned.

Activate recording and eyewitness events leading up to Incident L(897).
███████████████ ██████████ █████.

Watchdog Blue: access confirmed.

Watchdog Grey is present in the system.

WARNING: scan has determined error in third-person encryption mechanism. Immersive simulation may occur. Proceed with caution.

Invisible Gekko

18,700 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Poses

Evo 1
User Image // User Image // User Image

User ImageUser Image

Hidden pose: Hoodie pose with User Image

User Image

Evo 2

User Image // User Image

User ImageUser Image

Evo 3

User ImageUser ImageUser Image

Agape:
User Image

Sketchbook pins:
User Image

Agape + Pins:
User Image

Centurion:
User Image

Summer Hair Cur:
User ImageUser Image

Galactic Tracer
User Image

Evo 4

User ImageUser Image User ImageUser Image

Agape:
User Image

It appears the other hair cut items do not have any affect, Agape is the only one with a notable difference.

Evo 4

User ImageUser ImageUser Image

Finale

User Image // User Image // User Image // User Image // User Image

User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

Invisible Gekko

18,700 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Fanlist

Niki-Senpai
spirit box
Sand Dancer Shaka
Okami Tenrou
A Wandering Houngan
Salathielly
Chaos_Bunny
Zero Dream
Bladecraft Solune
Odd Cinderella
Makoah
Sianserais
LeV Oblivion
Odd Cinderella
Makoah
Sianserais
CherryblossomGoodbye
Snowgie
Shinji_Fumajime
Nerpin
Ichigo Arerugi

Tipsy Genius

I LOVE IT SO MU-U-UUUCH. crying heart

Shirtless Bard

Yay I love the post-apocalyptic items biggrin

DatOtterGirl's Significant Otter

Sapphire Otter

Omnipresent Genius

20,625 Points
  • Fashionable Fancy Dress: Cute 100
  • Super Jumper 500
  • Are You Jelly? 500
The way it was worded in the announcement reminded me a bit of SCP...
Confusing the Polarity
The way it was worded in the announcement reminded me a bit of SCP...

Hah, I was thinking the exact same thing!

Sexy Punk

40,340 Points
  • Haunted Haute Couture: Fearsome 200
  • The Edgiest 250
  • Friend of the Goat 100
Looks interesting so far. Might get it might not. *shrugs*

Celestial Shapeshifter

Sci-Fi flair, I like it.

Flint Jakobs's Compadre

Feral Faun

Hopefully it doesn't turn out like the SOF Taiga stare

///butthurt forever over that one

minghii's Compadre

Sexy Bun

I'm excited!
It looks like a continuation of Rejam's Recon, Fallout, and Operator series.

I was always curious about the story behind those items.

Mysterious Trickster

Reminds me a little of Watchdogs, Deus Ex, Xenosaga (the beginning scripts of the first game), and just general cyber espionage. I'm looking forward to more evolutions.

Jo Constantine's Partner

Colorful Technician

I might get this one (might have earnt enough GCash by the time it finishes evolving to nab one from the CS). The arms are a bit thin, so it makes me worry it's another female based item, however, we will see. Fingers crossed they have actually considered the lads as the item progresses instead of just gearing it to female avatars.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff