Welcome to Gaia! ::

Deformography
Sir_Huma
LadyInWhite
kp is dcvi
And there is an argument to say why kill a man who can be cured of his aggressive affliction?

I'm curious.... how would you cure him of his aggressive affliction? Lock him up? Beat him with a stick? Rape him till he knows what it feels like? Therapy?
By adjusting the hormone level in his brain or by adjusting chemical reactions in his brain. Basically by adjusting the root cause, the problem in his brain.

Any evidence that this actually works?
For which problem? I mean there's antidepressants, Antipsychotics, Mood stabilizers, Stimulants, Anxiolytics & Hypnotics, etc.

I mean caffeine falls into the category.

Obviously the potential to work is there so wether we have a working drug at the moment or not is of little importance. What is important is that the ability to work is there and it would be the governments job to make it work. That means that it can be cured.

Liberal Genius

2,950 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200
Sir_Huma
Deformography
Sir_Huma
LadyInWhite
kp is dcvi
And there is an argument to say why kill a man who can be cured of his aggressive affliction?

I'm curious.... how would you cure him of his aggressive affliction? Lock him up? Beat him with a stick? Rape him till he knows what it feels like? Therapy?
By adjusting the hormone level in his brain or by adjusting chemical reactions in his brain. Basically by adjusting the root cause, the problem in his brain.

For which problem? I mean there's antidepressants, Antipsychotics, Mood stabilizers, Stimulants, Anxiolytics & Hypnotics, etc.

Obviously the potential to work is there so wether we have a working drug at the moment or not is of little importance. What is important is that the ability to work is there and it would be the governments job to make it work. That means that it can be cured.

Cured? You're "cured" so long as you take your meds. I trust you've heard of mentally ill people who stop their meds because they "feel fine" until the illness comes back full force. s**t, I feel "fine" on my anti-depressant medication. When I stop taking it, I go downhill rapidly.
Deformography
Sir_Huma
Deformography
Sir_Huma
LadyInWhite
kp is dcvi

Cured? You're "cured" so long as you take your meds. I trust you've heard of mentally ill people who stop their meds because they "feel fine" until the illness comes back full force. s**t, I feel "fine" on my anti-depressant medication. When I stop taking it, I go downhill rapidly.
Your brain naturally produces chemicals. People with these problems have them because their brains arn't producing the proper chemicals in the proper amounts. The meds temporarily restore the balance. Since the brains not producing properly, that means there's a problem with the brain. Since there's a physical problem, it can be cured through brain surgery. Since that practice is still fairly new and since we don't know enough about the brain we don't have the ability, yet. This still means there's a cure.
Sir_Huma
Deformography
Sir_Huma
Deformography
Sir_Huma

Your brain naturally produces chemicals. People with these problems have them because their brains arn't producing the proper chemicals in the proper amounts. The meds temporarily restore the balance. Since the brains not producing properly, that means there's a problem with the brain. Since there's a physical problem, it can be cured through brain surgery. Since that practice is still fairly new and since we don't know enough about the brain we don't have the ability, yet. This still means there's a cure.

The only current brain surgery that I know of that "cures" mental illness is a lobotomy. And that tends to not be the best choice, due to the fact that not everyone likes the whole drooling zombie look.
I'm surprised noone's brought up the whole 'They thought that being gay was something that you could cure' argument.

Seriously, they thought that through therapy, drugs, operations, and any number of other terrible things, they could cure you being a homosexual. stare

How does anyone know that 'curing' a rapist isn't just the same idea?
Veolin
Arroree
Veolin
Arroree
Quote:
Very few ob/gyns perform abortions due to the intense cost and insurance issues involved with offering such a service. Protesters, threats, and beaurocratic red tape put in place as sneaky attempts by pro life politicians to run abortion clinics out of business makes the profit in such a procedure positively nil. Abortion clinic staff are some of the lowest paid workers in the medical industry.

You will generally be referred to a clinic who does perform the procedure. Your ob/gyn has absolutely nothing to gain if you decide to abort your pregnancy. To claim otherwise is absolutely ludicrous and a clear sign that you have done very little research into the very public issues keeping many doctors from being able to provide abortion services to their patients themselves.

A regular ob/gyn visit runs about $250-$300 in my area. Insurance covers this thankfully for most people. Add on the cost of ultrasounds, blood tests, and you're easily looking at $500 per visit - a visit you will make multiple times throughout your pregnancy, nevermind delivery costs and medications. A first trimester abortion? A one time fee of $200-$500. To claim that the medical industry has a pro choice bias because they "make money" off of abortion is laughable.

No kidding, and thats not even counting the cost of the birth itself which can run you up into the thousands. An average uncomplicated birth can cost anywhere from $5,000 - $10,000.
And then dont forget the added cost if the mother-to-be has to have a c-section. I know I was a $14k baby Dx

mrgreen Im having a boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol
Congradulations! XD

Thanks mrgreen
LadyInWhite
kp is dcvi

Well, what motivates a rapist has been a question of great importance for years.

I can tell you that according to some reading that I have done, THOUGHTS of rape are rather common amongst all men (the surveyed individuals). So to just frivolously say "Kill the rapist" is to undermine the reality of 1) What you're saying and 2) the sad fact that Rape may be the outcome of several internal and external factors.
omfg over 6000 posts!
miyo_esparanza
I'm surprised noone's brought up the whole 'They thought that being gay was something that you could cure' argument.

Seriously, they thought that through therapy, drugs, operations, and any number of other terrible things, they could cure you being a homosexual. stare

in a way i agree. the only way to truly cure a rapist or ***** is chemical castration, but even then it can be reversed with testosterone shots.

Partying Saint

10,850 Points
  • Voter 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Nerd 50
miyo_esparanza

I believe these people who try to "cure" rapists and homosexuals are just people who don't want to face the facts that people like that exist. It's saddening really.
miyo_esparanza

So they are disorderly members of society we should just let walk around? Helpless because their rapist tendencies are "beyond our control"?

I'm sorry Miyo, but lumping together rapists and homosexual into a category of people with "innate" qualities is just bad. I hardly see a connection.
kp is dcvi
miyo_esparanza

So they are disorderly members of society we should just let walk around? Helpless because their rapist tendencies are "beyond our control"?

I'm sorry Miyo, but lumping together rapists and homosexual into a category of people with "innate" qualities is just bad. I hardly see a connection.

It was thought that homosexuals were disorderly members of society. They were screwing up the 'true' nature of things. Same as people that are trans-gendered, etc.

I wasn't in any way saying that they should just be let to 'walk around'. That's what jails are for. I was merely making the point that it may in fact, be impossible to truly 'cure' a rapist, depending on their motivations for raping.

Don't like me lumping together homosexuals and rapists? Fine. I chose ***** and rapists. Either way, it was once thought that you could 'cure' a ***** though any number of means. We're learning that there are loop-holes/the therapies just don't work. Same could be true for rapists.
Bitter Chocolate Death
miyo_esparanza

I believe these people who try to "cure" rapists and homosexuals are just people who don't want to face the facts that people like that exist. It's saddening really.

I think it may be less that they don't want to face that people like that exist, because by attempting to 'fix' those people, they're definitely saying that they exist, but that they don't want to face the fact that some people may have issues that are so deeply ingrained that they cannot be 'cured'.

Like a doctor that refuses to give up on a patient that's riddled with cancer, or who's heart has stopped beating for several minutes. Or my dad with our lawnmower XD. They don't want to admit that there's something that they cannot fix.
WitheringRoseOfDecay
miyo_esparanza

in a way i agree. the only way to truly cure a rapist or ***** is chemical castration, but even then it can be reversed with testosterone shots.

Really, is that actually curing them, or merely suppressing the desire to rape/touch small children? Is it actually fixing the problem, or is it worsening it, because it's not dealing with the root issues?
miyo_esparanza
kp is dcvi
miyo_esparanza

It was thought that homosexuals were disorderly members of society. They were screwing up the 'true' nature of things. Same as people that are trans-gendered, etc.

I wasn't in any way saying that they should just be let to 'walk around'. That's what jails are for. I was merely making the point that it may in fact, be impossible to truly 'cure' a rapist, depending on their motivations for raping.

Don't like me lumping together homosexuals and rapists? Fine. I chose ***** and rapists. Either way, it was once thought that you could 'cure' a ***** though any number of means. We're learning that there are loop-holes/the therapies just don't work. Same could be true for rapists.

Whether or not liking someone twenty years younger then you is entirely a bad thing is completely up for debate.

Doing things to lure them into a forced sexual situation thought? That's pretty low, as far as I am concerned.

So in that respect, I would say a rapist and a ***** have a lot more in common then not.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff