Welcome to Gaia! ::

Joshp1990
braidedsilver
Alright peoples, I have a scenario for you, doesn't matter if you're pro-life or pro-choice, lets see who decides what.

So let's say you're a woman and you're pregnant. This is wonderful, you love your husband you've been trying hard for this baby and you couldn't be happier. However, the pregnancy seems to be taking and extra toll on you so you go see a doctor. Some time later you find out you have cancer. Lymphoma- which is virtually untreatable. You're given a choice. Abort and undergo treatment with a very small success rate, or have the baby and resign yourself to death. Which do you choose?

Please note this is a scenario based on my grandmother in 1951, from what I understand the treatments haven't gotten much better but at the time it wasn't very good. TL;DR she died, my dad lived.

This is a great example. Abortion shouldnt be based on a solid standard of right and wrong but on a circumstantial basis. But since it is unreal to investigate every pregnant womans lifestyle to determine if she is psychologically and financially ready to bear a child then it only makes since to leave it to each persons judgement. If a womans pregnant and doesnt want the child then how well do you think it will be treated. I know several people who were accidents and whose parents still act like children while beating and psychologically abusing their kids. Its parents like this that lead to more unwanted pregnancies since those kids never learned more than their parents let them. If you really believe in Pro-life then go look up worst cases of child abuse to see what these "parents" did to their kids. Alot of parents that do have an accidental birth are either too selfish or embarrassed to give it up for adoption.
Thanks.

But you didn't answer my question. What would YOU do?
abortion is a mortal crime. everyone should be given a chance to live. emo
manxcute
Should men, in the interests of giving all of their sperm a chance to live, be legally forced to procreate with as many women as possible?

If not, why not? Surely denying a sperm cell an egg cell is denying it it's chance to live?
Macai
The Vespertine Perception
manxcute
Should men, in the interests of giving all of their sperm a chance to live, be legally forced to procreate with as many women as possible?

If not, why not? Surely denying a sperm cell an egg cell is denying it it's chance to live?
Everyone =/= everything.

And where's the cut-off line? Sperm and eggs are just as human as a fetus when it comes to both DNA and cognition.
braidedsilver
Joshp1990
braidedsilver
Alright peoples, I have a scenario for you, doesn't matter if you're pro-life or pro-choice, lets see who decides what.

So let's say you're a woman and you're pregnant. This is wonderful, you love your husband you've been trying hard for this baby and you couldn't be happier. However, the pregnancy seems to be taking and extra toll on you so you go see a doctor. Some time later you find out you have cancer. Lymphoma- which is virtually untreatable. You're given a choice. Abort and undergo treatment with a very small success rate, or have the baby and resign yourself to death. Which do you choose?

Please note this is a scenario based on my grandmother in 1951, from what I understand the treatments haven't gotten much better but at the time it wasn't very good. TL;DR she died, my dad lived.

This is a great example. Abortion shouldnt be based on a solid standard of right and wrong but on a circumstantial basis. But since it is unreal to investigate every pregnant womans lifestyle to determine if she is psychologically and financially ready to bear a child then it only makes since to leave it to each persons judgement. If a womans pregnant and doesnt want the child then how well do you think it will be treated. I know several people who were accidents and whose parents still act like children while beating and psychologically abusing their kids. Its parents like this that lead to more unwanted pregnancies since those kids never learned more than their parents let them. If you really believe in Pro-life then go look up worst cases of child abuse to see what these "parents" did to their kids. Alot of parents that do have an accidental birth are either too selfish or embarrassed to give it up for adoption.
Thanks.

But you didn't answer my question. What would YOU do?

Considering the fact I'm childfree; abort.

And yes I'm aware you weren't talking to me, but I answered anyway.
Macai
Master Secret Asian Man
Macai
manxcute

Everyone =/= everything.

And where's the cut-off line? Sperm and eggs are just as human as a fetus when it comes to both DNA and cognition.
Actually, the DNA in a sperm or egg cell isn't complete, hence why they have to meet in order for the cells to begin self replication.

23 chromosomes is still an exact genetic replica of the parent's DNA. confused
Master Secret Asian Man
Macai
Master Secret Asian Man
Macai
manxcute

Everyone =/= everything.

Actually, the DNA in a sperm or egg cell isn't complete, hence why they have to meet in order for the cells to begin self replication.

23 chromosomes is still an exact genetic replica of the parent's DNA. confused
I'll admit that my knowledge of genetics is lousy, but wouldn't you need all 46 to be an exact replica?
Isn't that why babies aren't clones?
Kata Samoes
GoatShow
WitheringRoseOfDecay
7. abortion destroys nothing but the pregnancy. you lose again.
Really? You sure there's nothing else destroyed in an abortion? Nothing else at all?

Can you prove the fetus is not intact when taken out?

sometimes the fetus or embryo is, sometimes it isn't. when it's an early abortion, the fetus is barely visible.
manxcute

i think you meant MORAL. even so, your morals don't dictate the lives of others. the end.
WitheringRoseOfDecay
even so, your morals don't dictate the lives of others. the end.

Because you say so! sweatdrop
GoatShow
WitheringRoseOfDecay
7. abortion destroys nothing but the pregnancy. you lose again.
Really? You sure there's nothing else destroyed in an abortion? Nothing else at all?

that would depend on the woman. the abortion itself TECHNICALLY and PHYSICALLY destroys the pregnancy within. mentally? i can't say, because not all women respond to their abortions the same way.
Mundus Transit
WitheringRoseOfDecay
even so, your morals don't dictate the lives of others. the end.

Because you say so! sweatdrop

no. because this is a free nation. no one's morals dictate the life of another. at least they shouldn't. if i find the color pink to be evil, would it be okay for me to condemn you for wearing the color?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff