Welcome to Gaia! ::

Familiar Smoker

I think being expelled for profanity is beyond extreme period. Regardless of where it was.
black_wing_angel
Verloren ******** that school, if they can't ******** take a few ********, every once in a ******** while.[/quote]
******** yeah! ******** the ******** ********.
(also, you're still using commas w
s4p1rxbt:1="Verloren ******** that school, if they can't ******** take a few ********, every once in a ******** while.[/quote]
******** yeah! ******** the ******** ********.
(also, you're still using commas wrong)

******** the commas!

Yeah! What did commas ever do for you, huh?

7,750 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Bidding War 100
Honestly, people swear at my school all the time, and it's a good school. Teachers just give a kid a stern warning if they say something too loudly. Who cares if it was on a computer?! Just take away internet privileges!
There were kids who screwed up the computers in my programing class, and I don't think anyone even got suspended. (When I say screwed up, I mean they tore up some of the computer programing purposely or something.)
tererun the horrifying
Verloren Engel
America isn't a nanny state. We don't need schools policing their students.

If I can ever have kids, this is why I'm going to home school them.

First off, kids do not have the rights of adults. So they need to shut the ******** up. We also allow kids to get away with some really stupid s**t without the severe penalties we give to adults. yeah, suspension sucks, but it is not like losing your job because you said stupid s**t online. There is a line from an old movie i remember. When kids get bothered because they are not treated like adults it is normally because they are being treated like adults. In this case that would be true because as an adult you can really get screwed a lot worse for dumb s**t on the internet than just getting sent home to relax on your parents dime for a few days. In some of the places i have worked profanity will get you fired. professional people learn how not to swear when at work, and non-professional people end up without a job.

if you want to be a ******** then learn how to cover your tracks.

I suppose you do have a point. But I'm still home schooling my kids.

Fanatical Zealot

Requiem in Mortis
If it was Tweeted from school, I can understand a suspension (expulsion is a bit harsh for simple profanity). And if it was a threat or insult directed towards a teacher, I can understand expulsion no matter where the Tweet originated from.

That being said, if he really did Tweet it from home, the school had no business disciplining him for it, especially not something as drastic as expulsion.
Schools should get out of people's business unless that "business" is the intent to harm another student. I think expelling might of been the wrong action, though. I mean, he shouldn't be on twitter to begin with, but that's a bit of much to expel a senior; his high school career was almost over.

Eloquent Elocutionist

6,050 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
TANRailgun
I think being expelled for profanity is beyond extreme period. Regardless of where it was.

It probably results from some zero-tolerance policy writing. Absolutely over-the-top.

4,650 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
They should go to court with this.

There was a similar situation to this where a kid posted a facebook status then got suspended. His mom took the school to court and got the suspension reversed.

Timid Genius

Well the school systems are all being industrialized. So privacy and student safety are being destroyed. Along with so many school shootings I'm surprised it doesn't happen faster.

This all goes back to the fact that shitty 70's parents don't take care of their kids and the school is left with the task.
"I totally didn't agree with what Austin said but I didn't agree with an expulsion either. I mean if they suspended him for 3 days or something, I would be fine with that but to kick him out of school, his senior year, 3 months to go, wrong,”---- Mother of student

Sums up my position entirely- I could get an in-house suspension or maybe home suspension for a few days, but expulsion is serious business that follows you where ever you go and can screw up your graduation. Definitely a case of excessive force.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
I don't like the idea of students using school computers to do any type of socializing. Businesses can fire you for goofing off on their computers, he can look at this expulsion as preparation for the real world.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff