Welcome to Gaia! ::

http://www.indianasnewscenter.com/news/local/High-School-Senior-Expelled-For-Tweeting-Profanity---144022966.html

Basically, a student made a tweet that had the word ******** in a few times- trying to make some sort of joke or something- and he was expelled from school. The school claims he did it on their computers during school.
Apparently, though, the way the program that detected this tracks the tweets is by reading all Tweets on the account when someone logs in, so it could well have happened off campus.

Personally, I don't like that trend. There have been at least a few other cases of schools trying to discipline students for things they do online, and I really don't think it's the schools business. In the case of something like cyberbullying, that would be different, but the Tweet wasn't anything like that; just directionless profanity.

So, what do y'all think about schools disciplining kids for things they do off campus?

Eloquent Streaker

If it was Tweeted from school, I can understand a suspension (expulsion is a bit harsh for simple profanity). And if it was a threat or insult directed towards a teacher, I can understand expulsion no matter where the Tweet originated from.

That being said, if he really did Tweet it from home, the school had no business disciplining him for it, especially not something as drastic as expulsion.
Aren't tweets timestamped?

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
******** that school, if they can't ******** take a few ********, every once in a ******** while.
America isn't a nanny state. We don't need schools policing their students.

If I can ever have kids, this is why I'm going to home school them.
[******** that school, if they can't ******** take a few ********, every once in a ******** while.
******** yeah! ******** the ******** ********.
(also, you're still using commas wrong)

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
If he did it from school, yeah, he should be expelled. More than likely, he signed some kind of contract with some sort of fine print, and that was probably using the computer inappropriately.

But if it was done off campus, or they can't prove it was done on campus, then no, he really shouldn't be expelled.

Unless, is it a private school? Because sometimes they can say that you have to be a good an upstanding sort of person and represent the school nicely at all times. Another contract that was probably signed, if so.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Verloren ******** that school, if they can't ******** take a few ********, every once in a ******** while.[/quote]
(also, you're still using commas w
0umeaklg:0="Verloren ******** that school, if they can't ******** take a few ********, every once in a ******** while.[/quote]

******** the commas!

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
I was always pretty invisible at high school but do occasionally post something they'd consider inappropriate on FB. I would've thrown a fit and called the ACLU if my high school tried to pull something like that. cat_rofl Schools should NOT be able to punish students for things they've done outside of school.
black_wing_angel
Verloren ******** that school, if they can't ******** take a few ********, every once in a ******** while.[/quote]
0umeaklg:1="Verloren ******** that school, if they can't ******** take a few ********, every once in a ******** while.[/quote]

******** the commas!

Yeah, you're right, ******** the commas! ******** grammar, who needs it?
Even if he did tweet it from school, this doesn't call for expulsion. Honestly, how many kids say the word "********" while they're at school? Tweeting it isn't much different.

If he is violating the internet policy, then he should just be banned from internet privileges.

Ferocious Browser

Why are people becoming so annoying lately? So nosy and annoying.
0umeaklg:0="Verloren ******** that school, if they can't ******** take a few ********, every once in a ******** while.[/quote]

That or he is advocating sexual intercourse with the school.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff