Welcome to Gaia! ::

If you do not like your information online, then don't post online.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
Bubble Shark
If he did it from school, yeah, he should be expelled. More than likely, he signed some kind of contract with some sort of fine print, and that was probably using the computer inappropriately.

But if it was done off campus, or they can't prove it was done on campus, then no, he really shouldn't be expelled.

Unless, is it a private school? Because sometimes they can say that you have to be a good an upstanding sort of person and represent the school nicely at all times. Another contract that was probably signed, if so.

If this was a public school, he likely didn't have much choice in going there. If he really did do it during school hours, and this was a public school, expulsion was too much. If he did this outside of school hours, they have no right whatsoever to punish him. A private school might since he has choice to be there and they can punish kids for whatever the crap they want. But a public school, it's a different case.
Riviera de la Mancha
"I totally didn't agree with what Austin said but I didn't agree with an expulsion either. I mean if they suspended him for 3 days or something, I would be fine with that but to kick him out of school, his senior year, 3 months to go, wrong,”---- Mother of student

Sums up my position entirely- I could get an in-house suspension or maybe home suspension for a few days, but expulsion is serious business that follows you where ever you go and can screw up your graduation. Definitely a case of excessive force.

Something like this would be appropriate if he actually had done it at school... and there's fair reason to think he did not.
God Emperor Akhenaton

Did you even read the first post?
TheSilverNoble
God Emperor Akhenaton

Yeah I did. Lesson: Don't have Twitter or facebook.
God Emperor Akhenaton
TheSilverNoble
God Emperor Akhenaton

Think the better solution would be to stop getting people to freak out over social media.
TheSilverNoble
http://www.indianasnewscenter.com/news/local/High-School-Senior-Expelled-For-Tweeting-Profanity---144022966.html

Basically, a student made a tweet that had the word ******** in a few times- trying to make some sort of joke or something- and he was expelled from school. The school claims he did it on their computers during school.
Apparently, though, the way the program that detected this tracks the tweets is by reading all Tweets on the account when someone logs in, so it could well have happened off campus.

Personally, I don't like that trend. There have been at least a few other cases of schools trying to discipline students for things they do online, and I really don't think it's the schools business. In the case of something like cyberbullying, that would be different, but the Tweet wasn't anything like that; just directionless profanity.

So, what do y'all think about schools disciplining kids for things they do off campus?

If more teachers disciplined their ******** students, people would know how to economically compose their ******** tweets.
There is a current case pending about a similar situation,
however, as long as it doesn't violate Tinker (or any of the 3 later derivatives), I don't think the school can withstand the suit

Shameless Giver

10,800 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
If he did the Tweet on his own time outside of school, it would make zero sense to expel him. If he did the Tweet in class, then it would make more since to expel him. Well maybe not expel.....
Love Muffin88
If he did the Tweet on his own time outside of school, it would make zero sense to expel him. If he did the Tweet in class, then it would make more since to expel him. Well maybe not expel.....

remember, the paper is only from him. It is quite possible he tweeted something which could reasonably portend a disruption
i.e. he might have talked about somebody, mentioned a teacher, etc. which he didn't do in the paper

Shameless Giver

10,800 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
Ratttking
I don't like the idea of students using school computers to do any type of socializing. Businesses can fire you for goofing off on their computers, he can look at this expulsion as preparation for the real world.

I was thinking the same thing. We used to get in trouble in the computer lab, if we did things other than our work. Most schools used to put blockers on, so you can't go to sites like Myspace or Facebook, with the only way to get around them is if you hack.

Shameless Giver

10,800 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
agrab0ekim
Love Muffin88

remember, the paper is only from him. It is quite possible he tweeted something which could reasonably portend a disruption
i.e. he might have talked about somebody, mentioned a teacher, etc. which he didn't do in the paper

What paper? The uh, what he tweeted?
TheSilverNoble
God Emperor Akhenaton
TheSilverNoble
God Emperor Akhenaton

Think the better solution would be to stop getting people to freak out over social media.

You don't get it, do you? She wasn't expelled because she said ******** on Twitter. She was expelled because the principal had a bone to pick with her. The principal merely needed an excuse to do it. I guarantee you that. When humans become angry, they become vultures looking for any sign of weakness. And a social media site adds fuel to the fire.
God Emperor Akhenaton
TheSilverNoble
God Emperor Akhenaton
TheSilverNoble
God Emperor Akhenaton

You don't get it, do you? She wasn't expelled because she said ******** on Twitter. She was expelled because the principal had a bone to pick with her. The principal merely needed an excuse to do it. I guarantee you that. When humans become angry, they become vultures looking for any sign of weakness. And a social media site adds fuel to the fire.

Perhaps so. I really don't care. What I do care about is seeing another step in what I think is a pretty disturbing trend. Even if this instance was more incidental, it could be a stepping stone for others.
agrab0ekim
There is a current case pending about a similar situation,
however, as long as it doesn't violate Tinker (or any of the 3 later derivatives), I don't think the school can withstand the suit

Assuming we have all the information (and I checked at least one other source that reported the same thing), I don't think there's any way that'll stand up to Tinker.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff