• Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Forum Regular 100
The Living Force
Phallic Wonderland
Steam Punk Adept
Phallic Wonderland
Steam Punk Adept
If it's unnecessary, then why force a woman to endure one?

Wait, don't answer with your rhetoric. I can answer for you. It's because they're hoping that by humiliating women, making them uncomfortable, and forcing them to see a picture, that it'll magically change their minds. That's all it is. Not to mention the added financial burden of paying for the ultrasound. This transvaginal ultrasound costs enough that it can easily double the cost of an abortion. And it's a safe bet that such a procedure is not covered by insurance, not that that matters, as many women who choose to abort don't have/can't afford insurance.

Abortion in and of itself is rarely medically necessary. You're poisoning the well because you have never experienced it and are using negative connotation to describe it. It is NOT humiliating (the doctor is sticking something WAY more violating up there next), and 22 other states that do external ultrasound, ALSO passed from morally conservative populations, are -still- doing abortions. Obviously, these tactics aren't really putting a dent in the abortion rate.

And if you can afford to make payments for an abortion, they can make payments for the extra money it would cost for the vaginal ultrasound.
You seem to be forgetting that women have very different and very personal reasons for abortion. You seem dead set on trying to justify a medically unnecessary and pricey procedure that serves no purpose.

I'm a woman, and I'm pregnant. Right now I have a ton of "reasons" why I would "want" an abortion. I'm scared, I'm poor, yaddah yaddah rape, incest, I've heard it all. What I don't understand is if it is so invasive (which it ISN'T. AT ALL.) why are external ultrasounds less invasive. You are still seeing something you don't want to see, your tiny baby, only in less detail.

Here is the pricing for an abortion in Houston, TX.

http://www.houstonwomensclinic.com/fees.html
Our fees include everything, there are no additional costs: lab work, ultrasound, counseling, all medications, procedure, follow up visit and birth control pills (sample and a prescription for one year). Rhogam is given to all patients who are Rh negative at no additional charge.

The cost for the procedure is based on how long you have been pregnant. This is calculated from the first day of the last normal menstrual period.

Fees for Abortions*

New Fees (as of 1/18/2012)

$420 Up to 11 weeks 6 days
$800 12-13 weeks 6 days
$900 14-15 weeks 6 days
$375 Abortion Pill/RU-486 (up to 8 weeks)

I don't see what the BFD is.
I don't know if you don't get the meaning of the word or what, but having something needlessly put into one of my orifices strikes me as a bit more invasive than a gel smearing and rub on the tummy.

You don't see what the deal is? That's a lot of money. Hell, I plan on having a 30k a year job (Federal government pay is standardized) or maybe even 40k if I can push my credentials, and I don't plan on having that kind of disposable income.

Invasive is a camera in your colon, a needle in your heart, minor or major surgery. Think that stick up your a** is invasive enough? Pssh, it's an abortion.

If you can't afford it, they'll even HELP you pay for it!

Quote:
For Financial Assistance

Houston Women's Clinic is a member of The National Abortion Federation, which provides funding to our patients who have a severe financial hardship. Call 800-772-9100 for more information.
The Lilith Fund is a Texas organization that offers funding for abortions. Call 1-877-659-4304 Monday, Wednesday or Friday only between the hours of 7am and noon Central. See www.lilithfund.org for more information.
Insurance accepted, please contact our office to verify coverage at least 24 hours before appointment.
Phallic Wonderland
The Living Force
Phallic Wonderland
Steam Punk Adept
Phallic Wonderland

Abortion in and of itself is rarely medically necessary. You're poisoning the well because you have never experienced it and are using negative connotation to describe it. It is NOT humiliating (the doctor is sticking something WAY more violating up there next), and 22 other states that do external ultrasound, ALSO passed from morally conservative populations, are -still- doing abortions. Obviously, these tactics aren't really putting a dent in the abortion rate.

And if you can afford to make payments for an abortion, they can make payments for the extra money it would cost for the vaginal ultrasound.
You seem to be forgetting that women have very different and very personal reasons for abortion. You seem dead set on trying to justify a medically unnecessary and pricey procedure that serves no purpose.

I'm a woman, and I'm pregnant. Right now I have a ton of "reasons" why I would "want" an abortion. I'm scared, I'm poor, yaddah yaddah rape, incest, I've heard it all. What I don't understand is if it is so invasive (which it ISN'T. AT ALL.) why are external ultrasounds less invasive. You are still seeing something you don't want to see, your tiny baby, only in less detail.

Our fees include everything, there are no additional costs: lab work, ultrasound, counseling, all medications, procedure, follow up visit and birth control pills (sample and a prescription for one year). Rhogam is given to all patients who are Rh negative at no additional charge.

The cost for the procedure is based on how long you have been pregnant. This is calculated from the first day of the last normal menstrual period.

Fees for Abortions*

$800 12-13 weeks 6 days
$900 14-15 weeks 6 days

I don't know if you don't get the meaning of the word or what, but having something needlessly put into one of my orifices strikes me as a bit more invasive than a gel smearing and rub on the tummy.

You don't see what the deal is? That's a lot of money. Hell, I plan on having a 30k a year job (Federal government pay is standardized) or maybe even 40k if I can push my credentials, and I don't plan on having that kind of disposable income.

Invasive is a camera in your colon, a needle in your heart, minor or major surgery. Think that stick up your a** is invasive enough? Pssh, it's an abortion.

Quote:
For Financial Assistance

Houston Women's Clinic is a member of The National Abortion Federation, which provides funding to our patients who have a severe financial hardship. Call 800-772-9100 for more information.
The Lilith Fund is a Texas organization that offers funding for abortions. Call 1-877-659-4304 Monday, Wednesday or Friday only between the hours of 7am and noon Central. See www.lilithfund.org for more information.
Insurance accepted, please contact our office to verify coverage at least 24 hours before appointment.
People request an abortion knowing it's invasive. That does not mean they are likewise consenting to another invasive, yet unnecessary, procedure. At all.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't qualify, since I'd be making 30 kees a year. Hardly comes off as severe financial distress. What is killing me is student loan debt.
Phallic Wonderland
The Living Force
Phallic Wonderland
The Living Force
Phallic Wonderland

Have you even had a vaginal ultrasound? From what you're saying, you most likely scrabbled away and curled up in the corner crying if that was ever presented to you for a medical procedure.
Last I checked, the only stuff I put into my body I chose to put in, because I wanted and/or needed it there. If someone says that I have to have a rod put into me, they'd damn well have a good reason to do so, and it best not be FOR DA BABBEHS, because I give no ******** about that argument when there are other non-invasive measures.

Like, oh, I dunno, a brochure or slideshow. The anti-abortion activists who campaigned outside the Chick-fil-a on campus when I was at university had lots of nice pictures of scrambled up fetuses, right where diners could see. Why can't they just show the women that s**t instead?

"Because it won't deter them from getting an abortion, and that's the whole point."

Right, that's what I thought. Threaten to violate a woman so that she doesn't get an abortion.

********]

Obviously the ultrasounds aren't really cutting back on abortion because women are still having them. It's not a threat, it's a preventative measure based on the majority populations beliefs. Once again, you throw things out of proportion because you -have- to be right. It's Texas. They hate gays and trans-folk and would probably do away with the mentally handicapped and black people if they could.

It's the whole package. It comes with the service, and women are aware of this when they sign the paperwork legally saying that they consent to the entire procedure. If you don't like it, have an abortion somewhere else or get severe preggo diabetes and have it taken out at a hospital where you can make payments without ruining your major credit scores.

I was not aware that in order for something to be cut back, it had to abate entirely. Which, mind you, is beside the point. The women who get the procedure, despite not wanting to, because they want to get the abortion, are coerced into getting the procedure. That's what coercion is, by definition. You absolutely cannot contend this even if you choose to contend the rape aspect.

And I really like the "get an abortion elsewhere" argument. Because yeah, the majority of people who get abortions can afford to take time off work and leave the second largest state in the Union from a city where, odds are, they're a good distance away from any other state and subsequently must take more time off and even rent lodging. Lovely. If you manage to scare them away and they aren't deterred, there's always the money angle. So it's effectively get raped or don't have an abortion. Your pick. GAWD BLEYUSS THE SHTATE OF TECHSUS

It still isn't coercion, simply because YOU wouldn't care to partake in the particular stipulation. If they want it badly enough, I doubt something as silly as this would deter them, much less turn them into extreme feminists where every time they turn around something is sexist or woman-hating.
LOOK.

It is coercion to say, "If you want something, you have to do this," and you fail to provide substantial reason as to why it should be done. Bar ******** none. Non-contestable.

Distinct Browser

13,025 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Forum Regular 100
The Living Force
Phallic Wonderland
The Living Force
Phallic Wonderland
Steam Punk Adept

Fees for Abortions*

$800 12-13 weeks 6 days
$900 14-15 weeks 6 days

Quote:
For Financial Assistance

People request an abortion knowing it's invasive. That does not mean they are likewise consenting to another invasive, yet unnecessary, procedure. At all.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't qualify, since I'd be making 30 kees a year. Hardly comes off as severe financial distress. What is killing me is student loan debt.

Well, I'm sure that becomes a factor. Why not give those funding numbers a call and find out? The transvaginal ultrasound is NOT invasive at all. You are only using that description because YOU, personally, find it as such and are using the loose definition of the word.

And debt is the sole reason I haven't gone to college. I'm not paying it all back until I'm 80, thanks. neutral
Phallic Wonderland
The Living Force
Phallic Wonderland
The Living Force
Phallic Wonderland

Quote:
For Financial Assistance

Well, I'm sure that becomes a factor. Why not give those funding numbers a call and find out? The transvaginal ultrasound is NOT invasive at all. You are only using that description because YOU, personally, find it as such and are using the loose definition of the word.

And debt is the sole reason I haven't gone to college. I'm not paying it all back until I'm 80, thanks. neutral
Transvaginal requires penetration of the v****a. That is, by definition, invasive. Now, we could argue medical terminology (IT DOESN'T BREAK SKIN SO IT ISN'T INVASIVE) but since that is irrelevant to the fact that penetration by an unnecessary object is the main problem, let's not.

Unlikely, since the other financial hardship comes from investing money into a 529 so as to ensure any kid I have has a guaranteed shot at post-secondary education. All of the money is spoken for, and I doubt they'd be sympathetic.

Beloved Genius

7,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Full closet 200
Phallic Wonderland
The Living Force
Phallic Wonderland
The Living Force
Phallic Wonderland

Quote:
For Financial Assistance

Except for the two other posters early in the thread, both of whom have had abortions AND pregnancies they carried to term, saying it is so. My mother has had it done, and she says it's uncomfortable and invasive. It someone sticking a d***o shaped camera into your cooch. That's invasive by definition. Now invasive doesn't always mean bad, but it does mean invasive.

"in·va·sive/inˈvāsiv/
Adjective:

(esp. of plants or a disease) Tending to spread prolifically and undesirably or harmfully.
(esp. of an action or sensation) Tending to intrude on a person's thoughts or privacy."

and another that has a medical definition: "Medicine/Medical . requiring the entry of a needle, catheter, or other instrument into a part of the body, especially in a diagnostic procedure, as a biopsy."

I mean ********, is there an instrument going into the body? Yes. It's invasive even in the context we are using, so stop trying to say it isn't.

Now, if you'd like to explain why they should do a medically irrelevant invasive procedure now?(and before you get to it, and derail from answering the question some more, yeah the same people who are against this are against external ultrasounds as well. Medically unnecessary is STILL medically unnecessary...)

I seriously do not get you Phallic. I mean, there isn't a single time I've agreed with your stance when it comes to women, or women's health. You seriously seem to be stuck in a 1950's time warp where only the most blatant attacks on women are sexist with no understanding of social interactions and barriers. It.Gets.Annoying.
Vixianna
Phallic Wonderland
The Living Force
Phallic Wonderland
The Living Force

Quote:
For Financial Assistance

Except for the two other posters early in the thread, both of whom have had abortions AND pregnancies they carried to term, saying it is so. My mother has had it done, and she says it's uncomfortable and invasive. It someone sticking a d***o shaped camera into your cooch. That's invasive by definition. Now invasive doesn't always mean bad, but it does mean invasive.

"in·va·sive/inˈvāsiv/
Adjective:

(esp. of plants or a disease) Tending to spread prolifically and undesirably or harmfully.
(esp. of an action or sensation) Tending to intrude on a person's thoughts or privacy."

and another that has a medical definition: "Medicine/Medical . requiring the entry of a needle, catheter, or other instrument into a part of the body, especially in a diagnostic procedure, as a biopsy."

I mean ********, is there an instrument going into the body? Yes. It's invasive even in the context we are using, so stop trying to say it isn't.

Now, if you'd like to explain why they should do a medically irrelevant invasive procedure now?(and before you get to it, and derail from answering the question some more, yeah the same people who are against this are against external ultrasounds as well. Medically unnecessary is STILL medically unnecessary...)

I seriously do not get you Phallic. I mean, there isn't a single time I've agreed with your stance when it comes to women, or women's health. You seriously seem to be stuck in a 1950's time warp where only the most blatant attacks on women are sexist with no understanding of social interactions and barriers. It.Gets.Annoying.

7,900 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
The Living Force

In MD we are not allowed to have an abortion until a sonogram is taken to verify that the surgery is necessary. Some women come in to the clinic and only think they are preggers.
Does that mean when we make them have a vaginal or topical sonogram, we are raping them?
FearlessDictator
The Living Force

In MD we are not allowed to have an abortion until a sonogram is taken to verify that the surgery is necessary. Some women come in to the clinic and only think they are preggers.
Does that mean when we make them have a vaginal or topical sonogram, we are raping them?
There are pregnancy tests that test blood or urine which do not require a sonogram at all. Also, I never attested that topical sonograms were inherently bad. I think it's a bullshit ploy to reduce abortions by guilting already potentially emotionally fragile women, which is reason enough not to have it, but I cannot contend with the people who disagree in the democratic square.

7,900 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Vixianna

It is not invasive.
It is a necessary measure because

The child may be stuck in a tube
Or
The woman may not even be pregnant

It is only partially religiously-motivated, in my opinion. Liberals who can't use a condom need to stop getting their panties in a bunch, and stop having unprotected sex.

7,900 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
The Living Force
FearlessDictator
The Living Force

There are pregnancy tests that test blood or urine which do not require a sonogram at all. Also, I never attested that topical sonograms were inherently bad. I think it's a bullshit ploy to reduce abortions by guilting already potentially emotionally fragile women, which is reason enough not to have it, but I cannot contend with the people who disagree in the democratic square.

Oh yeah, they're really trying to scare people out of abortions big time.

I was doing a museum run last summer and you had people from Planned Parenthood being followed around by a couple of pissed off biblehumpers saying that they were promoting abortions and murder.

I think the big thing is that ignorance is still being promoted by people who feel information is on a need-to-know basis (and they think others don't need to know).

I feel that a campaign that reaches negaters on an emotional level is necessary, specifically addressing how those who seek an abortion do so because they feel they are not able to support the child as they could throughout the pregnancy.
And pregnancy is a huge preparation period for the development of the child.
Know what I mean?
FearlessDictator
The Living Force
FearlessDictator
The Living Force

Oh yeah, they're really trying to scare people out of abortions big time.

I was doing a museum run last summer and you had people from Planned Parenthood being followed around by a couple of pissed off biblehumpers saying that they were promoting abortions and murder.

I think the big thing is that ignorance is still being promoted by people who feel information is on a need-to-know basis (and they think others don't need to know).

I feel that a campaign that reaches negaters on an emotional level is necessary, specifically addressing how those who seek an abortion do so because they feel they are not able to support the child as they could throughout the pregnancy.
And pregnancy is a huge preparation period for the development of the child.
Know what I mean?
More information is always more useful than less, so long as we know how to properly analyze it.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
FearlessDictator
The Living Force

Since when? I'm in MD and had an abortion in '05 and a sonogram was not required.

Distinct Browser

13,025 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Vixianna
Phallic Wonderland
The Living Force
Phallic Wonderland
The Living Force

Quote:
For Financial Assistance

"in·va·sive/inˈvāsiv/
Adjective:

I didn't say BAN -ALL- ABORTIONS! Women are treated as over-sensitive hussies because we demand attention, we need "understanding" in the -workplace- as well as out on the street and from strangers.

That just isn't how the world works. I'm not one to pick nits at the way TEXAS wants to do things. Texas is forced to allow abortion. If each state could freely make their own laws, there would be a LOT of separatists. What I'm saying makes sense.

You guys are making it seem like it's -dirty-, calling it a d***o instead of a tool. Like these people are GETTING OFF AT YOUR EXPENSE. That isn't what is happening. They want you to quit being a panicky twit and see what you are doing, maybe even change your mind. Considering my personal morals, isn't it a GOOD thing to attempt to save a potential life?? You are only humiliated in your own mind, it's not like people who get abortions don't know what they're doing. Of course they are having it tough scraping a baby out of them, of course they are humiliated because they are killing a living thing growing inside them. But if it needs to be done, in Texas, they know what to expect.

As I said, ABORTIONS are often medically unnecessary, insurance shouldn't even cover such bullshit. That is why I said people who don't want the transvaginal can get severe preggo diabetes and get it done in the emergency room.

It is what it is. I don't care if you think I'm sexist because I refuse to believe that women are unbelievable soft little flowers that don't like compromise. It's a stipulation in Texas. It's legal. People do what they have to do and just because Texas is sticking to it's guns about disliking abortion, they haven't gone to war trying to make it out and out illegal in their state.

My apologies if I don't care how "comfortable" the abortion process is. If they sign the paper, it is their choice to have that abortion in Texas. Texas even helps you pay for it, and the tool really isn't all that uncomfortable (and I had it done when I went to the hospital for -severe- abdominal pain).

Sorry ladies, quit being finicky bitches and kill your fetuses any way you deem necessary. Just realize that a)there are other options b)there are other places and c)as your mother always used to say, you don't always get everything you want in life. Deal with it.

Witty Genius

9,000 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
FearlessDictator
Vixianna

It is not invasive.
It is a necessary measure because

The child may be stuck in a tube
Or
The woman may not even be pregnant

It is only partially religiously-motivated, in my opinion. Liberals who can't use a condom need to stop getting their panties in a bunch, and stop having unprotected sex.
Because Condoms NEVER break, and Birth control ALWAYS works /sarcasm
Someone needs to do more research on who actually has abortions....

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff