Welcome to Gaia! ::

Edithlegacy

yawn, again with the same old spelling critism...yawn.

User Image

SO CLOSE!

Let's see how quick she blocks THIS account, ey?
Edithlegacy
OhYez
Er...I'm so confused.

OP, I remember you posting pages a looong time ago (maybe from the same project?), and there's two things.

One, the art from back then is higher in quality than it is now. And two, you were a lot more receptive to criticism.

You still have issues with facial structure and bodies. The thing about comics, the characters have to look like they're actually moving, not in a pose. So while you think your characters are dynamic and action-y, they're actually stiff and flat. Studying foundations will help with that.

nah, just a gang of people teamed up to bash me for something really dumb.normally i'm ok.

Not really dumb. The Spike person gave you legit advice and you flat out insulted him. That's why so many people are getting annoyed with you and aggressive. Even if you don't like what people say about your art, you have to deal with it. You did post on a critique forum, so critique is what you're going to get.
Shameless Kamikaze
Edithlegacy

yawn, again with the same old spelling critism...yawn.

User Image

SO CLOSE!

Let's see how quick she blocks THIS account, ey?

If we can't tell whether to read it r-to-l or l-to-r can we just automatically bingo that square?
Hello, I am Kira. I have read through all these pages. I have looked at your art. You are aware that this is a critique forum. My credentials include working on a farm for four years and in a factory for one year. I am in art school. My concentration is in Drawing. Also my life, though personal, has a lot more complications than most. I love my life though.

The critique I am afraid cannot be completed because your entry is incomplete. All I care about is the art. I do not care what you want or what anyone else wants. A critique is to hear the individual’s opinion on your art, in this case your comic. The reason we have critiques is because the artists in the world are only servants to their fans. The reason for this is that every artist wishes to make a living off of their own art. The way you make money off of art is by appealing to the fans so mush so that they are willing to let go of their precious dollars that many work very hard for. The critique is an invaluable tool in which we gain the most up to date knowledge of what is “in” and what is “out.”

Now, if you are not planning on selling, or even thinking about selling your comic do not post it in a critique forum. If you still post it here then it will be inevitably picked apart. Perhaps not in the most tasteful ways at times.

Next, anime/manga styled comics. Most all of my professors hate this style; Fact. The reason for their distained steams from the unholy amount of this art out in print by both professionals and amateurs. The reason for this huge about of anime/manga comics is from it’s sudden popularity in the States. The style that these comics use is a very basic style that both simplifies and flattens the figure. The reason for this to come about is because it was made to be commercialized and sold.

After all of this we fans of the style are bombarded by poor executions of the art. We love it so we try to weed out the mistakes that frustrate us as viewers in the early stages of their carrier in the field.

Also, the subculture that surrounds this style is very particular geeks and nerds. Geeks and nerds have a lot of energy and care for things passionately. Also the age range for this style is extremely high between the ages 15-25.

Now, you are not a victim of a gang of mean people. You are in fact a victim of your own fingers. When you are not clear the people between 15-25 will point it out. You write what you mean, and then re-read it to make sure there are no misconceptions that can come from it. If someone points something out you sit and re-read their point to understand what they though you said. You do not see yourself in the conversation you just read it to understand. This is a faceless place, the internet. Your typed words are the only thing you have. There is no tone, there is no gesture or expression.

Finally, read the posts before this whole fiasco started. If you do not understand what the critique was saying, ask, politely, what exactly they meant. If you disagree with them, then give your reasons why supported by facts. Yes style is important but if people cannot fallow it, it could be the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, it won’t make a lick of difference.
Also, because it was bothering me, that whole racial thing. Osamu Tezuka the creator of Astro Boy and the father of manga, got his inspiration from Disney. Tezuka really liked Disney's Betty Boop. If you notice if you give Betty an actual chin and a round head she has the stereotypical anime head.

These two forums are closely related. (Disney's and Tezuka's) The human figure had basic lines and large eyes with impossible stories. Though Disney was into movies and Tezuka was into series. Both audiences respond the same to each artisan. It is the content that brings in an audience to the entertainment not the origin of the entertainment.

Invisible Kitten

9,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
Oh hello there. I'm Asian and I don't think I like this comic very much.
And don't be silly, this is largely an American site, and indeed, white people live in America, and have you seen all the anime styles circulating? Drawn by people who are, in fact, Caucasian (proven by rl pictures in signatures/DA pages)? Don't do the racial thing, it wasn't really a good idea.
By the way, I read the whole thread and it's great. Very high entertainment value.

If there's one thing you change after this clearly traumatising experience, I'd suggest it to be your font. There are websites that provide actual comic font downloads so your comic looks that little bit more professional. Then you change the way you draw speech bubbles to suit the tone of the dialogue.
Cream Puffnut
Oh hello there. I'm Asian and I don't think I like this comic very much.

User Image

Hygienic Punching Bag

6,400 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Poses are amazing, I could never pull that off, but the actualy drawing needs a little more work, try spending more time on drawing the characters once you get them in the pose you want
    User Image

I will never cease to be amazed at how some people can be so stubborn and resistant to honest, genuine critique and conscious efforts to help. I've read through all of the flippant, ignorant, racist, and misogynistic responses to the critiques given and I'm just tickled - t i c k l e d - that you somehow manage to operate as at least a semi-functional self-supporting adult in the real world. At least I'm assuming you are, since you seemed so ready to brag about working on a team for a company.

I'm not going to touch the subject of your art, because everything I have to say has already been said to you in amazingly clear, helpful, wonderfully supportive and knowledgeable ways by people who took time out of their days to give critique on a CRITIQUE FORUM. (Oh, and by the way, a critique by definition is a review and analyzation of a subject in a critical way - that means it can be positive or negative, but still constructive, which in laymen's terms usually means helpful. People are free to like or dislike your work, and if you want honest, constructive critique on anything, barring people from saying "I don't like this because" will not help you improve in any aspect of your life.)

I will however give you some advice that can be used in any field or profession that creativity and hands-on effort is involved in, which can include working in a team for a company doing something like data analysis. I call it the three points of success, of which you need to have at least two of to be successful in whatever field you choose to be in - technology, art, teaching, etc.

1. Positive Attitude: learn to take criticism graciously. Taking criticism does not mean you have to do what people tell you, but simply that you consider them and kindly let them voice a potentially helpful opinion. Being courteous can get you a long way.
    2. Skill: learn your craft - whatever it is - and practice, practice, practice, and always, always, ALWAYS seek to learn more and better yourself. You never stop learning, no matter what field you're in.
    3. Punctuality: every job has deadlines, so learn to meet those deadlines successfully.

Having two out of three of these points is a wonderful benefit to yourself. You could have a wonderful, sunny attitude and be on time with everything even if your skill isn't that great - people will want to work with you because you are kind and punctual.

You could have a wonderful attitude and AMAZING work, but be slow on your deadlines and people will want to work with you because you are kind and good at what you do.

Your attitude could be piss-poor and grumpy, but your work is good and you're on time - skill and punctuality.

In your case, however, and from what I've seen of your behavior and comments on this forum, you have a horrible attitude, do not take criticism well at all, and I hope your skill in art does not reflect your skill in your real-world job, because if you treat all criticism the way you treat the advice here with your skill-set I don't see you getting very far. You want to know why?

Because you refuse to learn when good advice is right in front of you.

Please change this, because I'm really embarrassed for you right now. Like, literally embarrassed - red cheeks and everything. I would hate to be you right now. Just sayin'.

Invisible Regular

Oh, this is good.

User Image

Sexy Noob

This thread needs to be closed by a mod asap.

Profitable Prophet

Hey,
just a couple quick questions:

Has anime/manga art inspired or influenced this style of drawing?

If so, what are those pieces of anime/manga?
It is imperative that you find one of the many free comic-book fonts that are not Comic Sans to use in this comic.

8,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
OhYez
Er...I'm so confused.

OP, I remember you posting pages a looong time ago (maybe from the same project?), and there's two things.

One, the art from back then is higher in quality than it is now. And two, you were a lot more receptive to criticism.

You still have issues with facial structure and bodies. The thing about comics, the characters have to look like they're actually moving, not in a pose. So while you think your characters are dynamic and action-y, they're actually stiff and flat. Studying foundations will help with that.

I was thinking the same thing. I was looking forward to see more from her, but now I'm just disappointed.
She's become a lot less receptive to criticism and became rather childish (calling someone an idiot off the bat is a guaranteed way to earn disrespect). I'm also extremely offended. I've never been on the receiving end of racism. I've long fought to end racism against others, but have never been the one to be judged and marked as a less capable person based on the colour of my skin.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff