Welcome to Gaia! ::

FurryMink
I never really cared for the switching artists thing either. It drives me up the wall when I see a comic and I'm like, "Oooh, I really like this style!" then it goes and changes artists on me. Bastards.
Runaways did that all the time, it drove me mad. It flipped between competant but unremarkable Marvel style, horrible bland weeaboo-desu, pretty good solid comic book style, and then to Humberto Ramos whose art I hate quite an awful lot. It actually stopped me from reading past that point.
KomiyanZaibach
FurryMink
I never really cared for the switching artists thing either. It drives me up the wall when I see a comic and I'm like, "Oooh, I really like this style!" then it goes and changes artists on me. Bastards.
Runaways did that all the time, it drove me mad. It flipped between competant but unremarkable Marvel style, horrible bland weeaboo-desu, pretty good solid comic book style, and then to Humberto Ramos whose art I hate quite an awful lot. It actually stopped me from reading past that point.

This my idea as to why the american comic industry isn't doing well compared to the Japanese. America has this thing about constantly changing authors and illustrators within one series and then it transforms in to some mess that isn't nearly as great as what hooked us to the story to begin with. But I could be completely wrong, I'm really still learning about this stuff, and am going by what I have observed so far.
That's not every American story, though, just the superhero crap. There are plenty of non-hero comics that keep the same creators. Also 'doing well' is sort of hard to quantify, Japan has a MUCH larger audience for comics since they cover a greater range of topics, and don't have the 'for children and man-children' stigma, and they don't even come in the same format.. It's very hard to compare the two.
Yeah, it's mainly superhero comics that ruin it for the rest of the industry. How is a medium supposed to be taken seriously if the most mainstream examples are superheroes or works that parody, homage, or otherwise deconstruct the superhero? It's no wonder people consider comics as a man-child's medium when the same characters have been written and drawn by hundreds of different people for over 40 years with little to no character development and some of the worst ideas to ever see print. Most of the people involved with those comics grew up reading them, so we're constantly getting retcons to put characters back the way they were.

In some ways, Twilight becoming a graphic novel seems par for the course in American comics.

O.G. Partier

The artist-switching in the Star Wars Clone Wars series drove me batshit the whole time. Two of the pecilers I liked, and two colourists, but they kept switching by the chapter! I'd endure a chapter of stunning details and nice anatomy with bad washed out blocky colouring, then suddenly we're in some liefeld-esque crap with lovely colours, then we've got something genuinely good for an entire chapter, later rinse repeat.

It made it even harder to read chapters about characters I disliked when the art was grossing me out in the process. I actually didn't mind Runaways in comparison - it was obnoxious, but I think because at no point did I really love the art, the stuff I hated didn't bother me as much.

6,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Hey guys, I'm not really feeling my greatest today, so I'm probably not going to post this up on deviantart, but if you're interested, I'm going to be colouring live at http://www.livestream.com/unpretend for the next 4 or 5 hours in about 5 minutes.

I might not be super talkative, but I'll answer questions and chitchat, as well as play some awesome music while I work.
Kaiser-chan
The artist-switching in the Star Wars Clone Wars series drove me batshit the whole time. Two of the pecilers I liked, and two colourists, but they kept switching by the chapter! I'd endure a chapter of stunning details and nice anatomy with bad washed out blocky colouring, then suddenly we're in some liefeld-esque crap with lovely colours, then we've got something genuinely good for an entire chapter, later rinse repeat.

It made it even harder to read chapters about characters I disliked when the art was grossing me out in the process. I actually didn't mind Runaways in comparison - it was obnoxious, but I think because at no point did I really love the art, the stuff I hated didn't bother me as much.
gonk Where the hell do you keep coming from?

Not that I mind. The more mod attention this forum gets, the happier (and saner) us regulars will be.

EDIT: I'm calling it right now; Ashirogi (in Bakuman) is gonna split up.
Bulbasauur
...transforms in to some mess that isn't nearly as great as what hooked us to the story to begin with

lol, that pretty much happens to every manga that got too popular and didnt end where it was supposed to (Reborn, seriously? alternate universes? I stopped at ch. 230s where did this pop up?)

@Bunny,

now that I heard of it, I'm surprised that of all the copyright info passed around, this one is one more people should know about. Get customs to seize any work that looks like your stuff.

EDIT: Who in here still reads Bakumen?
That's the reason I believe authors shouldn't go past quartets, unless their books are, say, stand-alone but interconnected.

Grumpy: Kaiser-chan comes out the night like a ninja.
I still read Bakuman consistently, but I wish the chapters were longer. Either that or the pacing needs a kick in the pants.

Shadowy Phantom

I gave up on Bakuman after chapter 1.
I have no idea what it is.

Also, LiveStream is eating my posts! D:

Edit: Oop, fix'd.

O.G. Partier

FurryMink
Grumpy: Kaiser-chan comes out the night like a ninja.

xd I just lurk most of the time, but even more so right now. I lost my computer earlier this week so right now I'm pretty much limited to popping on and off while other people let me steal theirs, or while things are installing on my new harddrive.
Aw, that sucks. My laptop is new and I don't know what I'd do without it. *huggles laptop*

Eloquent Explorer

LiveStream is fun =D Shame I only just jumped on when I should really be in bed by now...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff