Like to? I love to!! 0.85219810288216 85.2% [ 18687 ]
Yea, a bit. 0.12021160160525 12.0% [ 2636 ]
I like movies better. 0.018515140459686 1.9% [ 406 ]
I can't stand reading! 0.0090751550529004 0.9% [ 199 ]
Total Votes:[ 21928 ]

Territorial Combatant

The Demon Awakens by R.A. Salvatore
Mystery Ceres
I kind of worded it awkwardly about the atheism…

It only bothers me in fantasy if an author pushes the “religion is fake” narrative too much because it’s a genre where I am expecting the unbelievable to be real. If there are characters or cultures that disagree or don’t follow a religion in the story, that’s totally fine, expected in a book with good world-building. If the whole work is centered around disproving a religion, or if there seem to be a lot of out of place remarks regarding belief about something fantastical being absurd (when there are far stranger things going on in the story that those characters are privy to) that’s when it’s become intrusive and immersion breaking. sweatdrop

(Similarly, so long as politics doesn’t warp a book in a way that doesn’t make sense, I’m fine with whatever view drove someone to write what they did. It’s historical fiction where that becomes immersion breaking if done poorly though)

And oh for real! I saw that he was writing a 4th, I am probably going to wait until there’s a more clear publish date. And lol yes! It drives me nuts when I have a set and one of them is off. Figures I was thinking about getting the hardback trilogy and then the announcement of the 4th book came about.

I wonder if the Pan books are cheaper because they’re older. The Picador editions are fairly new…after the cost of paper skyrocketed. sweatdrop

Yeah, that shouldn't be a problem with these books. At least I don't remember anything of that kind happening.

According to my bookshop's site, there are two "untitled" works both scheduled for spring/summer of next year. That whole problem of there being so many different editions of books drives me nuts too. Especially with the Southern Reach books, I remember they first got released with covers I really liked and then those sold out super fast and I was all sad - In the end I borrowed someone else's omnibus edition, haha.

The Pan books are indeed older but then again, there's Hummingbird Salamander in the same design as those other Picador books but priced more like other paperbacks. If it really was just about the paper there should be some more difference between City of Saints and Madmen and the others. It's a mystery.
The Red Scrolls of Magic by Cassandra Clare.
Myth of Sisyphus and other Essays By Camus

i already finished the sisyphus essay, gotta start the others that r the last 100 or so pages
kind of a tough one for me. a little dense at the beginning, esp with the references to philosophers i havent read emotion_facepalm i really dont read much philosophy at all
but i definitely see why this essay connects with so many ppl has some beautiful passages

and also Life for Sale by Yukio Mishima
a reallly fun and crazy book. and a fascinating unintentional portrait of the author and his batshit insane politics

Newbie Gaian

6,800 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
I am reading the Handmaids Tale

Niroshan's Princess

Distinct Connoisseur

14,250 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Millionaire 200
I am reading Burial of Ghosts by Ann Cleeves
I'm currently reading There There by Tommy Orange. The book talks about the lives of Native Americans - their isolation and forced displacement from their roots and identity. It also talks about the tremendous pressure to fit into the American identity and modernity at the cost of losing their traditional and cultural values. It is a revolutionary piece of literature and a pioneering work of the New Native Renaissance - the successor of the Native Renaissance of the 60s.
And I'm almost in the finishing stages of Haruki Murakami's A Wild Sheep Chase. I have been curious about Murakami for long but I stopped short of exploring his works assuming I wouldn't like them. My colleague has a huge collection of Murakami's works and he suggested I start of with Wild Sheep Chase. The first half of the book (close to 120-150 pages) was pretty slow and random with no real connection. It took me close to a month to get through it as I was quite disinterested. It is only when the first random dots were connected that I was completely blown away by the writing, and that got me all interested. I can safely say this book has been one of the best I've ever read.
Right now I'm reading War for the Oaks by Emma Bull, a classic of the urban fantasy genre.

Niroshan's Princess

Distinct Connoisseur

14,250 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Millionaire 200
I am reading The Poet by Michael Connelly

Learned Protagonist

31,525 Points
  • Spirit of the Smackdown! 100
  • Redecorator 50
  • Deal Me In 50
The girl who played with fire by Stieg Larsson. I'm also in the middle of Guns, Germs and Steel, but I haven't picked it up in months.
I tend to read a few books at a time, so I'm currently in the middle of Dark Matter by Blake Crouch, Noor by Nnedi Ookorafor, Hooky vol. 2 by Miriam Bonastre Tur, and technically Dracula by Bram Stoker (through Dracula daily lol)

Niroshan's Princess

Distinct Connoisseur

14,250 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Millionaire 200
I just read The Paris Affair by Pip Drysdale. This was my second book of hers. I'm starting to enjoy her writing.
I'm just starting American Gods. I'm very excited to experience more of Gaiman's work.
Deadhouse Gates by Steven Eriksson

Distinct Canine

7,325 Points
  • Doggone It! 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Pet Lover 100
Hi, I'm reading Don Quixote

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash