Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Shopper

8,500 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Signature Look 250
Arctic myth
I could use some suggestions for a book, I just passed my first ever term paper so I'm rather proud of myself. Anything goes so long as instant romance (to characters immediately declaring they love each other, you know the stuff razz ) is not involved. Stuff I typically read ranges from Lovecraft, to Cyberpunk, with the majority of my reading material being some form of Fantasy or Dresden Files. I do really like the less commonly used mythologies (Like Norse, why don't more people write about Vikings? crying ) and fairy tale retellings.

I don't touch fantasy/sci-fi unless forced but as for fairytale retellings, look up an author called Kate Forsyth. She's great at it!

Dapper Shopper

8,500 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Signature Look 250
SebastiansLittleDoll
Hello!

I was wondering if anyone knew any good gothic/horror books, other than stuff Stephan King wrote. I want to... broaden my horizons, I guess?

I don't know if it counts as horror to you but a book I found creepy was The Collector by John Fowles.
I am looking for a book recommendation, I like fantasy and fairy tale retellings. My favorite books right now are The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker, and Beastly by Alix Flinn.
Arctic myth
I could use some suggestions for a book, I just passed my first ever term paper so I'm rather proud of myself. Anything goes so long as instant romance (to characters immediately declaring they love each other, you know the stuff razz ) is not involved. Stuff I typically read ranges from Lovecraft, to Cyberpunk, with the majority of my reading material being some form of Fantasy or Dresden Files. I do really like the less commonly used mythologies (Like Norse, why don't more people write about Vikings? crying ) and fairy tale retellings.

Bruh check out Perdido Street Station by China Mieville. It's a steampunk story, and an amazing example of world building with all kinds of different cultures and species and mythologies thrown together. Don't get put off by the first 100 pages or so being full of waffle though

Indulgent Hunter

2,500 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Hey-o, any chance that anyone can recommend me something?
I'm looking for a magic school setting (think Hogwarts), with either no romance or only a same-gender romance.
I'll make exceptions for the "no het romance" (I'm just not in the mood for it right now) if it's very focused on the magical school setting and has a large focus on the protagonist learning magic.
SebastiansLittleDoll
Hello!

I was wondering if anyone knew any good gothic/horror books, other than stuff Stephan King wrote. I want to... broaden my horizons, I guess?

Dracula, Call of Cthulhu (or most H.P. Lovecraft), The Silence of the Lambs, The Exorcist, Ghost Story (Peter Straub), American Psycho

Ruthless Man-Lover

I've run out of books to read and it's awful, so I'm hoping someone could help me find more.
But, uh, here's what I like to read about:

I like reading about ******** up people.
I like reading about ******** up relationships (where one person is toxic as hell and the abuse IS NOT romanticized, but handled realistically).
I like reading about characters in ******** up situations.

Any recommendations? Don't say Gone Girl, either.

Interesting Autobiographer

11,800 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Generous 100
constantly reading
I am looking for a book recommendation, I like fantasy and fairy tale retellings. My favorite books right now are The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker, and Beastly by Alix Flinn.
I think you might really enjoy a book called "Invisible by DelSheree Gladden. Its the first in a 3 book series. Its free right now for a limited time on amazon if you have a kindle. IF you don't, you can download the kindle app for free on any smart phone &/or windows 8 computer.

Hope you look into it! Its reallllllyyyyy good!
Paroxy
I've run out of books to read and it's awful, so I'm hoping someone could help me find more.

I like reading about ******** up relationships (where one person is toxic as hell and the abuse IS NOT romanticized, but handled realistically).

I will hesitantly suggest Native Son, by Richard Wright. The protagonist commits a murder and the situation spirals out of control as he makes mistake after mistake in the aftermath. It's supposed to be less about "look how ******** up this individual is," and more about how poverty and racism can drive people to desperate, irrational behavior, but it might fit your request. Also includes a non-romanticized abusive relationship.
hajimessu
I'm looking for a magic school setting (think Hogwarts), with either no romance or only a same-gender romance.
I'll make exceptions for the "no het romance" (I'm just not in the mood for it right now) if it's very focused on the magical school setting and has a large focus on the protagonist learning magic.

A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K Le Guin-- a significant part of the story takes place at a magic school, but it's less than half, so it might not be exactly what you're looking for. There is only a very small hint of het romance and it is an insignificant part of the story.

Wizard's Hall by Jane Yolen takes place at a magic school, but it's a short book and seems to be for younger readers (maybe a little younger than HP1). No romance.

Sorry my suggestions aren't great. I hope you get a rec for same-gender romance at magic school, I'd love to get my hands on that!

Indulgent Hunter

2,500 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Lambright
hajimessu

A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K Le Guin-- a significant part of the story takes place at a magic school, but it's less than half, so it might not be exactly what you're looking for. There is only a very small hint of het romance and it is an insignificant part of the story.

Wizard's Hall by Jane Yolen takes place at a magic school, but it's a short book and seems to be for younger readers (maybe a little younger than HP1). No romance.

Sorry my suggestions aren't great. I hope you get a rec for same-gender romance at magic school, I'd love to get my hands on that!

Thanks for the recommendations! I've been planning on reading Wizard's Hall for a while, but I just haven't been able to find it at any libraries, so I'm waiting for my birthday to get it through amazon. I initially wanted to read it because hey magic school, but finding out it has no romance makes me even more eager to get my hands on it.
Wizard of Earthsea sounds like a interesting read. I've been seeing it recommended a lot, so I might try that one out. Luckily, that one's actually available through my library, so once I finish the books I'm currently reading I'll get it.
Same...I've been looking for something like that for so long but I haven't been able to find one anywhere! I have the feeling none actually exists, and if that's the case I hope someone will write one sooner rather than later.

No Sweetheart

31,400 Points
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Waffles! 25
  • Partygoer 500
So.. I want to read some youth/teen fiction but I have no idea what’s good . Suggest me some stuff please?

I like:
Fantasy
Sci-fi
Historical Fiction
Tsuki_Kirkland
So.. I want to read some youth/teen fiction but I have no idea what’s good . Suggest me some stuff please?

I like:
Fantasy
Sci-fi
Historical Fiction

Have you read Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card? If not, it's classic young adult scifi and I highly recommend it!

For fantasy I would recommend:
Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
Valiant by Holly Black
Seraphina by Rachel Hartman

Let me know if you've already read any of those and how you liked them.

No Sweetheart

31,400 Points
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Waffles! 25
  • Partygoer 500
Lambright
Tsuki_Kirkland

I like:
Fantasy
Sci-fi
Historical Fiction

Have you read Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card? If not, it's classic young adult scifi and I highly recommend it!

For fantasy I would recommend:
Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
Valiant by Holly Black
Seraphina by Rachel Hartman

Let me know if you've already read any of those and how you liked them.

I actually haven’t read that , I may do that. Thans for the suggestion!

Blessed Fairy

9,650 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Forum Regular 100
Paroxy

Not sure if you're into non-fiction, but this one is written more like a novel anyway. It's The Executioner's Song by Norman Mailer. Maybe you saw the movie starring Tommy Lee Jones, but if so the book (as is usually the case) blows the doors off the movie.

It's got some very ***** up people.
It has one serioiusly **** up relationship.
and the people involved are in some really ***** up situations.

So, yeah, anyways, i know lots of people aren't into non-fiction, but if you can get past that part it's an excellent read! smile

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff