Welcome to Gaia! ::

Demon of Cute
AIATTAUA
I agree art is a lot of things not just a sketch or painting it is nature life things that are fleeting but can also be eternal...like writing is a form of art....music....all of the different seasons its all sorts of things because art is something that is created

lol, that sounded like a whole lot of wank to me.
Yeah, art critics and arts writers always do sound like they are spouting a lot of wank XD.

do you even know what wank means????
AIATTAUA
Demon of Cute
AIATTAUA
I agree art is a lot of things not just a sketch or painting it is nature life things that are fleeting but can also be eternal...like writing is a form of art....music....all of the different seasons its all sorts of things because art is something that is created

Yeah, art critics and arts writers always do sound like they are spouting a lot of wank XD.

Do you?
This is true art

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
puke is something that cant be art... xd
Unchi-tan
This is true art

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Thats amazing!
uhh, anyway. what is art....can anyone really say??
Does anyone have the right to say...???
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, another man's trash is another man's treasure.
There's your definition of art! xp
xxellaxpopexx
Thats amazing!
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, another man's trash is another man's treasure.

To be honest I don't even believe in that. One's perception of beauty is really not a good gamut for art to be judged by, we're basically back at the "anything can be art" mindset. Which I have many problems with.
Demon of Cute
AIATTAUA
Demon of Cute
AIATTAUA

Do you?

yeah it means to masturbate
praeclaris304
xxellaxpopexx
Thats amazing!

To be honest I don't even believe in that. One's perception of beauty is really not a good gamut for art to be judged by, we're basically back at the "anything can be art" mindset. Which I have many problems with.

There fancy sayings for opinion XD
sadly, you can't tell someone it isen't art if they think it is, if later on in life there opinion change's and they agree with you thats huncky dorry.
It's like Religion, "mine is right, and everyone else who doesn't belive in it is wrong"
and we all know thats not right...
It's all about opinion and veiw point.
There is no definition for art carved in stone and never will be... xp
Thank god LOLZ
And that's why there's so much religious turmoil, you have everyone and their mothers deciding what art is, and yet a lot of them don't have the knowledge and history to really make an informed decision.

Their opinions are based on ignorance really, they don't have the capacity to make a decision about it because of little understanding to the subject matter. Plus, most of them just don't care. "Oh, it's pretty, it's art." That's all they think, and then they go on with their lives.

Which is why I really don't put much importance of what the general population thinks. Hell, most of the people think art is useless, which in my mind, can never be the case, so yeah, I judge them based on it, but there are reasons for it.
praeclaris304
And that's why there's so much religious turmoil, you have everyone and their mothers deciding what art is, and yet a lot of them don't have the knowledge and history to really make an informed decision.

Their opinions are based on ignorance really, they don't have the capacity to make a decision about it because of little understanding to the subject matter. Plus, most of them just don't care. "Oh, it's pretty, it's art." That's all they think, and then they go on with their lives.

Which is why I really don't put much importance of what the general population thinks. Hell, most of the people think art is useless, which in my mind, can never be the case, so yeah, I judge them based on it, but there are reasons for it.

And your doing the same thing.... really xD
How is it I'm doing the same thing?

I judge what is or not art, by my own standards, that part's true, but I'd spent a lot of my time trying to understand it, to create it, it's my craft and it's possibly the one thing I'm happy with. But most people in the world, they don't even care enough to find out what makes art, art. The new generation of kids think that any crap they come up with can be art because it's "individualistic." It gives art a bad image, it makes people think there are no standards, but there are.

I hold these standards to myself as well, I'm not saying every little sketch I do is "art" in most cases they're just "sketches" and "drawings," and I'm well aware of it. I honestly think in my portfolio, I might only have 2 or 3 pieces I can call art.

Most people, like I said just don't give a s**t about art, so they make baseless assumptions and they celebrate mediocrity and that just makes people think art is easy, and art is simple. It's not.

Even Pixar, they don't really see themselves as artists, they see themselves as a computer company that occasionally does art.

EDIT: Also, it just occurred to me:

Just because you like something, that doesn't make it art. I may love Transformers but it ain't gonna win an oscar. You're trying to legitimize everything as art, but it just can't be, logically and from an artist's view. It isn't art if there is no artform to apply it too, you have to have the necessary skill and thought to really push you're work into "art." Legitimizing it without basis...
Well in my OPINION (just that an opinion, please don't yell at me) I believe anything has the ability to be art. However it all depends on the person/thing looking. If i look at what everyone considered to be the ugliest thing in the world, i could look at it and agree with everyone else..OR i could look at it and see the meaning behind it...and the beauty that the artist intended. I do not veiw art on skill levels or on the 'prettiness' level, i veiw art as a creation of the artist, a piece of the person/thing...if anyone wishesto argue with me then PM me...and now i leave you with this

Art is as the creator intends

ninja
Threads that Belong in This Forum

* Discussion of specific artists and their work
* Art history
* Techniques
* Art materials and media, including art software
* General art questions and advice
* Art-related experiences
* Info on portfolios and art schools/professions
* Photography discussion

if you are talking about food discussions, it can be found in the general discussions forum. i know its a subforum... well anyway back to topic.

as you are studying, lets get back to aesthetics. its a judgement on what is art and what is not TO YOU. if you THINK it is not art TO YOU, then IT IS NOT ART to YOU. if others think it is art, then people have no right to tell him that it is not art.

that is why i hate professional art critiques. art has different motives or goals. if the artist's goals are met thru his artwork, then who cares?! the artist is happy, so he is satisfied. he couldn't care less what other people say about it.

beauty is in the eye of the beholder. if GIRL A is pretty to you, then she is pretty! you couldn't care less what anybody else says about her nose or stuff. same is applied to judgment on art, if you THINK it is an art, then IT IS ART.
What I'm trying to say is, art is FORM and CONTENT. It's not just any scribble you're nephew makes.

Without form and content, it may be pretty, and you may like it, but it has no purpose. Form is the principles of design, the materials, and skill that is used, content is the thought process, what the artist wanted to portray, what we think the artists is portraying, and how we feel about it. You can't really have half without the other.

Art is a message presented visually, but you must have a way to tell you're story, and you must have a story to tell. You can love a drawing for it's technical skill, but what can you say about it if there's nothing of a story in there? Can it still be called art? Or if something has an amazing concept, but the visuals are haphazardly put together, lacking skill, design sense, focus?

Can a urinal on its side really be considered art?
praeclaris304
What I'm trying to say is, art is FORM and CONTENT. It's not just any scribble you're nephew makes.

Without form and content, it may be pretty, and you may like it, but it has no purpose. Form is the principles of design, the materials, and skill that is used, content is the thought process, what the artist wanted to portray, what we think the artists is portraying, and how we feel about it. You can't really have half without the other.

Art is a message presented visually, but you must have a way to tell you're story, and you must have a story to tell. You can love a drawing for it's technical skill, but what can you say about it if there's nothing of a story in there? Can it still be called art? Or if something has an amazing concept, but the visuals are haphazardly put together, lacking skill, design sense, focus?

Can a urinal on its side really be considered art?

how about mental patients who does art for rehabilitation? is that considered art?

xxellaxpopexx
There is no definition for art carved in stone and never will be... xp
Thank god LOLZ

enough said. heart heart

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items