Welcome to Gaia! ::

bump.
Too much misplaced s**t.
bump.

back to the first page with you!
Don't fall down thread!
this is great! I really want to go to LCAD.

Tipsy Prophet

8,250 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Nice resource, thanks!
It may help in my neverending search for wherever the heck I'm going to school. neutral

Diamond Senshi

I just got into School of the Art Institute of Chicago on a merit scholarship and will probably attend this fall semester... so, although I don't know much about the school, I do know how to get in!

Name of School: School of the Art Institute of Chicago
(Chicago, Illinois)
(http://www.saic.edu
Stronger programs: Def. well known for fine arts and graphic design, though I'm going in as a New Media/Film major
What they want in a portfolio: They want a lot of conceptual, experimental stuff. They want you to have a distinct voice, and not just make copies of other works. That said, I think what got me a scholarship was that I submitted a lot of performance art pieces (look it up on wikipedia if you don't know what I'm talking about)
Example of accepted portfolio(s)/pieces: Pending, as I haven't uploaded any of my work that I submitted yet.
Simple statistics/information: News Week calls it the "Most Influential Art School in America"
General comments:
Pro:
Con:
Anything else:

5,300 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
JUSTamachine
I just got into School of the Art Institute of Chicago on a merit scholarship and will probably attend this fall semester... so, although I don't know much about the school, I do know how to get in!

Thanks for the info! Everythings been edited in 3nodding

5,300 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100

Fuui's Kouhai

Obsessed Worshipper

18,000 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Magical Girl 50
nice info, thanks biggrin

5,300 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
I'm bump'n. That's why they call me thbumper
            Y U ON PAGE 2 TOO
Tiri Iralen
Awesome thread idea, props for getting it going.

I'm an art student in game design here:

Savannah College of Art and Design

http://www.scad.edu/
Stronger programs: There's quite a lot. Game Design, animation, visual effects, photography, fashion (and more, not sure what you'd like for a list.)
What they want in a portfolio: Graduate Portfolio Requirements , (Should be) Undergrad Portfolio Information
Example of accepted portfolio(s):
Simple statistics/information:
General comments: To be edited based on posts.
Pro: A large variety of classes and degree's offered. Dorms, meal plans; professionals from various fields come to visit, give talks,and review portfolio's regularly. A school bus system is available to get students around.
Con: Since the campus is non-traditional and spread over the city,getting around is a bit of a pain if you don't have a car and probably a good gps. The bus system is a bit of a pro and a con, because the buses are coded to make only specific stops, and many of them only stick to very particular areas. And might not be on time. Or full. So you want at least an hour leeway trying to get to class if you're taking the bus.

Hope it helps!

To everyone from the south of the us (like me) If you want to go to a art school, the southern part of the states should be the last place you look. No art really come from here the south is more industrialized than creative art wise. If youy have no choice than I will have to say ringland (doubt I spelled it right) one of your very few best bets, but you are already required to have a portfolio just to try and get into there.
Jabberwocky Sinope XXVII
thug to the limit
Tiri Iralen

Stronger programs: There's quite a lot. Game Design, animation, visual effects, photography, fashion (and more, not sure what you'd like for a list.)
What they want in a portfolio: Graduate Portfolio Requirements , (Should be) Undergrad Portfolio Information
Pro: A large variety of classes and degree's offered. Dorms, meal plans; professionals from various fields come to visit, give talks,and review portfolio's regularly. A school bus system is available to get students around.
Con: Since the campus is non-traditional and spread over the city,getting around is a bit of a pain if you don't have a car and probably a good gps. The bus system is a bit of a pro and a con, because the buses are coded to make only specific stops, and many of them only stick to very particular areas. And might not be on time. Or full. So you want at least an hour leeway trying to get to class if you're taking the bus.

Hope it helps!

To everyone from the south of the us (like me) If you want to go to a art school, the southern part of the states should be the last place you look. No art really come from here the south is more industrialized than creative art wise. If youy have no choice than I will have to say ringland (doubt I spelled it right) one of your very few best bets, but you are already required to have a portfolio just to try and get into there.

i've heard good and bad things about scad, but um

i'm pretty sure all art schools require a portfolio for admission
Thats where you would be wrong, I'm in AIU (this bs place is labeled as a art school, take my advice don't come here) I got into it without a portfolio, I got accepted into art institute of Atlanta without a portfolio. Many if not all "For Profit" (art) colleges will let you in without a portfolio. When I got here only people who knew anything about how the entertainment art industry was ran, was my 3-d instructors, which was not what I came to learn in the first place.

Edit, know I will emit I can't speak for nor against scad since I have heard both good or bad, but I can say they are (no matter how much dreamworks tries to deny it) endorsed by dreamworks.

5,300 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
Jabberwocky Sinope XXVII
thug to the limit
Tiri Iralen

Hope it helps!

i've heard good and bad things about scad, but um

i'm pretty sure all art schools require a portfolio for admission

If an art school doesn't care to know what level you're at or set any standards for admission, I wouldn't recommend applying. I could confidently say you should try to strictly apply to schools which ask for a portfolio.

@ thug: I'm assuming you're addressing Ringling?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff