Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shameless Hoarder

12,800 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
Utopia
Wow. Downvoters hard at work. I got three rates - the first one was a "5", I saw it when there was only one rate. Now the average is 1.32...

I like it when they hit early instead of later in the week.

Fashionable Noob

7,750 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Kuyusi
Flz
Err too be honest I haven't come across a lot of downvoters in the last few weeks. Mostly it's just usually the average trying to well, average out. Like say two people vote a 5 on your entry, the average will drop down rather than go up. But if a third person or so gave you a 3 or higher, it should go up. The average system is weird like that I guess.

The only problem I've had lately are upvoters. Not on my entries, but on other's and it kind of bugs me.

I wish I had a posse of friends to upvote me, lulz dramallama

But not really, that s**t is seriously messed up.
I blame friendvotes whenever mediocre avatars make it into the winner's circle. razz
when mediocre avatars place, it isn't always friend voting... But yeah the majority IS friend voted- you are an arena regular, like lady eldae and its meark for example, so I don't think you need friend votes to place...

Toxic Transmutator

MIKILL IS EVA
when mediocre avatars place, it isn't always friend voting...

You're using "mediocre" yourself - if something is mediocre, shouldn't it also have a mediocre average rate? If it gets rated so high, there must be a reason for it. What kind of reason could that be? I can't think of anything but your friends helping you along, but maybe you have another idea? I'm not attacking you, I'm just curious what you think.

(And if you take week 44 8th place, she rose from 23 to top ten in a couple of hours, after complaining in the Achievements forum how mean everyone in the Arena is. She seems to be pretty popular there - it really reeks of people giving her pity votes. I guess most of those who voted her up don't even usually go to the Arena).

Seeker

12,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
MIKILL IS EVA
when mediocre avatars place, it isn't always friend voting... But yeah the majority IS friend voted- you are an arena regular, like lady eldae and its meark for example, so I don't think you need friend votes to place...

No, it's entirely people getting friends and guilds to vote them up, there's no way wk 44's first and eighth would have placed without serious upvoting.

Toxic Transmutator

Pilotslover
MIKILL IS EVA

No, it's entirely people getting friends and guilds to vote them up, there's no way wk 44's first and eighth would have placed without serious upvoting.

Again, just curious: you didn't like first? I thought it was really atmospheric, especially with the clever description. One could argue if, for example, second shouldn't have been higher, but I think it deserved to be a winner.
But if you weren't the only one who thought it wasn't all that good, it probably explaines why that entry was deleted sad .

Seeker

12,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
Utopia
Pilotslover
MIKILL IS EVA

Again, just curious: you didn't like first? I thought it was really atmospheric, especially with the clever description. One could argue if, for example, second shouldn't have been higher, but I think it deserved to be a winner.
But if you weren't the only one who thought it wasn't all that good, it probably explaines why that entry was deleted sad .

I'm getting my weeks mixed up. XD

The pumpkin patch was all right but just all right ...

I meant week 43, first place that week was quite terrible.

Witty Nymph

MIKILL IS EVA
Kuyusi
Flz
Err too be honest I haven't come across a lot of downvoters in the last few weeks. Mostly it's just usually the average trying to well, average out. Like say two people vote a 5 on your entry, the average will drop down rather than go up. But if a third person or so gave you a 3 or higher, it should go up. The average system is weird like that I guess.

The only problem I've had lately are upvoters. Not on my entries, but on other's and it kind of bugs me.

I wish I had a posse of friends to upvote me, lulz dramallama

But not really, that s**t is seriously messed up.
I blame friendvotes whenever mediocre avatars make it into the winner's circle. razz

Haha, hence the llama, I was just being silly. razz

I wouldn't really want a friendvote posse because then the win doesn't really mean anything. :c

Though I guess you could say arena regs (both reg voters and submitters) sometimes upvote each other; I will often give out 5's to my arena friends that I see entries from every week, but I don't feel you can actually call it upvoting when the entry truly deserves a 5. ^-^

Witty Nymph

Shin~The ladle monster!
This is pretty embarrassing since everyone seems to know what they're talking about, but I'm new to the avatar arena. What's all this about the All Tab, and getting in there unfairly?

Hi, welcome to the avatar arenas! ^-^ It's a rough and tumble world out there, but I hope you stick around, fresh faces are always awesome. :3

The all-tab is the tab that shows all of the avatars that have been submitted; to the left of the main entry you're looking at, you can either have the "spotlight" tab open or the "all" tab open. If you have the "all" tab open, you will see the avatars that were submitted most recently, and they stay there all week whereas the spotlight tab rotates.

The good thing about being in the "all" tab is that there is more of a chance that people will see you, because you're in that tab all week and lots of people look at both the spotlight and the "all" tab. Being in the "all" tab usually means you'll get over 100 votes within the first few days.

The bad thing about being in the "all" tab is that there is more of a chance that people will see you, and will down-vote you because they don't want you to win (usually 2-3 entries from the "all" tab will place in any given week) or because they genuinely dislike your avatar (which isn't considered down-voting as it's not malicious.)

It's up to you whether or not you want the exposure; if you feel your avatar is really strong then the "all" tab is a great way to share it with people and get lots of feedback. But it can be dangerous so I only recommend using it if you're ready for the attention, as some of it might be negative. wink

Some people feel entering late to get into the "all" tab is unfair as you're bound to have more exposure than those who aren't in the "all" tab; my feeling is that it's a technique that is hit and miss and is available to anyone who wants to try it, so it's not really all that unfair. Sometimes it can really hurt your entry to be so exposed, but I always try to get into the "all" tab because I love getting comments and feedback, and I usually won't get very many comments if I'm tucked away behind a bunch of other entries.

To get into the "all" tab, all you have to do is submit as late as possible. If you want the very first spot in the "all" tab, then you have to wait to hit "submit" until 11:59 PST to be sure you'll get it. But there are a lot of spots in the "all" tab so any time between 11:45 and 11:59 will usually put you amongst the last 12 submissions (those are the ones that show up in the "all" tab.)

OMG longpost is long. @_@

Eloquent Conversationalist

11,600 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
Thanks for the explanation! And I really do hope to stick around a bit, you guys seem like a pretty tight community in here. :3

I understand a bit more about the All tab now, I just didn't realize there was a way of manipulating it. I thought it just had, you know... everybody in it.

Witty Nymph

Shin~The ladle monster!
Thanks for the explanation! And I really do hope to stick around a bit, you guys seem like a pretty tight community in here. :3

I understand a bit more about the All tab now, I just didn't realize there was a way of manipulating it. I thought it just had, you know... everybody in it.

You're welcome! :3

Haha, well it DOES, but I suppose it might be more fair if it was random what part of the "all" section you landed in. Right now if you submit on Monday you're on the last page.

11,600 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
Kuyusi

Haha, well it DOES, but I suppose it might be more fair if it was random what part of the "all" section you landed in. Right now if you submit on Monday you're on the last page.
I think that's where I am this week, I submitted really early last week so I could sell one of the items. >.<

Being gaia-poor doesn't help much when you want to cosplay lol!

Witty Nymph

Shin~The ladle monster!
Kuyusi

I think that's where I am this week, I submitted really early last week so I could sell one of the items. >.<

Being gaia-poor doesn't help much when you want to cosplay lol!

No it certainly does not! rofl But it's always super cool to see people use items other than the super-expensive-made-for-the-cosplay ones, just because those are so predictable and boring. razz

11,600 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
Kuyusi

No it certainly does not! rofl But it's always super cool to see people use items other than the super-expensive-made-for-the-cosplay ones, just because those are so predictable and boring. razz

I know what you mean. ^^ I personally like seeing creative uses of any items, even the starter set ones. What it comes down to is that you use whatever fits, right?

I had to blow 800K on the Apprentice Charm SD just to get Grizabella's ears. D=
Now I can't sell it again. >.<

Witty Nymph

Shin~The ladle monster!
Kuyusi

I know what you mean. ^^ I personally like seeing creative uses of any items, even the starter set ones. What it comes down to is that you use whatever fits, right?

I had to blow 800K on the Apprentice Charm SD just to get Grizabella's ears. D=
Now I can't sell it again. >.<

Oh no! D:

But they are totally perfect and creative, haha. <3
Hmm....do another cat? emotion_awesome

11,600 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
Kuyusi

Oh no! D:

But they are totally perfect and creative, haha. <3
Hmm....do another cat? emotion_awesome

Aw thanks!
I don't think any of the other cats have the same kind of ears. ^^;
But I can always keep them in reserve for something else, they may come in handy for another cosplay.

I can't think of another cat right now to cosplay, I've been looking at stuff though and I want to do another one.

But I think next week I'm going to do Granny Garbonzo from the big comfy couch. xD
Maybe cats can be an every other week kind of thing for me.
Until people get sick of it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces