Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friendly Firestarter

12,850 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Survivor 150
  • Brandisher 100
I've entered my entries into the arena (at least in the original arena) and have noticed a pattern. The downvoters are attacking when the entries first hit the arenas. With my recent entries the AVG dropped dramatically within the first day and even one time within minutes of the week switching over. They knock the AVG down so low that it takes a long time for it to raise again. Has anyone else noticed this????

Witty Nymph

Downvoting is inevitable, I have a feeling most downvoters just do it because they're bored. Luckily everyone gets downvoted equally (to an extent) so the field is still somewhat level. :3 But yeah, it sucks. All we can do is hope there are also plenty of reasonable voters out there being honest and helping to support the arena the way it should be.

Friendly Firestarter

12,850 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Survivor 150
  • Brandisher 100
Kuyusi
Downvoting is inevitable, I have a feeling most downvoters just do it because they're bored. Luckily everyone gets downvoted equally (to an extent) so the field is still somewhat level. :3 But yeah, it sucks. All we can do is hope there are also plenty of reasonable voters out there being honest and helping to support the arena the way it should be.

sometimes i wonder equally
cuz if u got some entries that downvote others to make theirs win than that would be more on the other entries

Moonlight Lover

19,600 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Alchemy Level 9 100
  • Champion 300
Err too be honest I haven't come across a lot of downvoters in the last few weeks. Mostly it's just usually the average trying to well, average out. Like say two people vote a 5 on your entry, the average will drop down rather than go up. But if a third person or so gave you a 3 or higher, it should go up. The average system is weird like that I guess.

The only problem I've had lately are upvoters. Not on my entries, but on other's and it kind of bugs me.

Witty Nymph

Flz
Err too be honest I haven't come across a lot of downvoters in the last few weeks. Mostly it's just usually the average trying to well, average out. Like say two people vote a 5 on your entry, the average will drop down rather than go up. But if a third person or so gave you a 3 or higher, it should go up. The average system is weird like that I guess.

The only problem I've had lately are upvoters. Not on my entries, but on other's and it kind of bugs me.

I wish I had a posse of friends to upvote me, lulz dramallama

But not really, that s**t is seriously messed up.
I blame friendvotes whenever mediocre avatars make it into the winner's circle. razz

Moonlight Lover

19,600 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Alchemy Level 9 100
  • Champion 300
Kuyusi
Flz

I wish I had a posse of friends to upvote me, lulz dramallama

But not really, that s**t is seriously messed up.
I blame friendvotes whenever mediocre avatars make it into the winner's circle. razz

I usually blame All Tab 3nodding

Witty Nymph

Flz

I don't see that happening all too much, the mediocre avatars in the all-tab rarely ever place.

Moonlight Lover

19,600 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Alchemy Level 9 100
  • Champion 300
Kuyusi
Flz

I don't see that happening all too much, the mediocre avatars in the all-tab rarely ever place.

Still, All Tab gives people an unfair advantage. Especially when people know the secret on how to get in it and do it for every avatar they enter.

Witty Nymph

Flz
Kuyusi
Flz

Still, All Tab gives people an unfair advantage. Especially when people know the secret on how to get in it and do it for every avatar they enter.

Ooooh burn. burning_eyes I think I could cook an egg on that comment.

But you're right, it does offer an unfair advantage to a degree. For the most part it seems like anyone who enters regularly is aware of how to take advantage of this, though I think at least some of the "unfair advantage" is balanced out by the exposure to negative down-voting.

Either way it would benefit the arenas if everyone voted based on their opinion, as opposed to some just voting everyone down (I can't imagine there are too many of these, but it seems like every few weeks someone makes a topic about it, haha.) I remember ages ago when averages were much higher for everyone, I sometimes wonder if overall lower averages (winners being 3.80-4.20 usually) are to do with the down-voting issue.

Moonlight Lover

19,600 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Alchemy Level 9 100
  • Champion 300
Kuyusi
Flz
Kuyusi
Flz

Ooooh burn. burning_eyes I think I could cook an egg on that comment.

But you're right, it does offer an unfair advantage to a degree. For the most part it seems like anyone who enters regularly is aware of how to take advantage of this, though I think at least some of the "unfair advantage" is balanced out by the exposure to negative down-voting.

Either way it would benefit the arenas if everyone voted based on their opinion, as opposed to some just voting everyone down (I can't imagine there are too many of these, but it seems like every few weeks someone makes a topic about it, haha.) I remember ages ago when averages were much higher for everyone, I sometimes wonder if overall lower averages (winners being 3.80-4.20 usually) are to do with the down-voting issue.

It's not really a burn if it's the truth. 3nodding

Honestly, I've seen no negative down voting last week or the week before that. Or even before that. Mostly because of how the winners have all been in the 4.00 lately. Usually towards the end it's been 3.90s or so but now it's gone up.

You're lucky even to make it to the top ten now because of how much the average has gone up now. I would rather there be more down voting now then all the up voters in the All Tab lately.

Bashful Fatcat

12,150 Points
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Timid 100
  • Overstocked 200
The only time I experience personal down voting is when I win something and then put something in immediately the next week so now I just space my entries out a few weeks at a time.

Witty Nymph

Flz

Honestly, I've seen no negative down voting last week or the week before that. Or even before that. Mostly because of how the winners have all been in the 4.00 lately. Usually towards the end it's been 3.90s or so but now it's gone up.

You're lucky even to make it to the top ten now because of how much the average has gone up now. I would rather there be more down voting now then all the up voters in the All Tab lately.

My issue with downvoting is not in relation to the all-tab, I feel if you decide to use the all-tab (how to get into it isn't really a secret either, so in that respect I don't think it's an entirely unfair advantage as it IS technically available to anyone) it's on you if you get downvoted.

(and frankly, I all-tab every time because the reason I enter is mostly for fun; to get feedback and hear what people think about my avatar, and if more people see you then more people comment. The votes are secondary to just getting it out there. I feel this is the case for a lot of people who frequently use the all-tab for more exposure.)

The biggest issue I take with downvoting is mostly to do with my spotlight, and being sad each week when I don't see them win. I go through ALL the submissions each week and there are some really REALLY cool ones in there. But many times they don't place, and I have to imagine it's because of down-voting. I can only hope we all get downvoted equally (equal downvote-to-vote ratios, lol) but who even knows anymore.

I agree it's not a HUGE GIANT issue anymore, but I sense it happening here and there. ninja

Friendly Firestarter

12,850 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Survivor 150
  • Brandisher 100
Kuyusi
Flz

My issue with downvoting is not in relation to the all-tab, I feel if you decide to use the all-tab (how to get into it isn't really a secret either, so in that respect I don't think it's an entirely unfair advantage as it IS technically available to anyone) it's on you if you get downvoted.

(and frankly, I all-tab every time because the reason I enter is mostly for fun; to get feedback and hear what people think about my avatar, and if more people see you then more people comment. The votes are secondary to just getting it out there. I feel this is the case for a lot of people who frequently use the all-tab for more exposure.)

The biggest issue I take with downvoting is mostly to do with my spotlight, and being sad each week when I don't see them win. I go through ALL the submissions each week and there are some really REALLY cool ones in there. But many times they don't place, and I have to imagine it's because of down-voting. I can only hope we all get downvoted equally (equal downvote-to-vote ratios, lol) but who even knows anymore.

I agree it's not a HUGE GIANT issue anymore, but I sense it happening here and there. ninja

well it depends if u had huge exposure the week before such as winning or spotlight
i tend to think ppl target them more the following week to try and make it so they dont win again

Witty Nymph

Yun San

well it depends if u had huge exposure the week before such as winning or spotlight
i tend to think ppl target them more the following week to try and make it so they dont win again

Which IMO, isn't entirely unhealthy. rofl

Winning really isn't everything though, it can be a toss-up sometimes and I've seen a few wild cards here and there showing up. Ultimately if you're obsessed with votes and ranking, you're not going to enjoy yourself. Though being obsessed with comments (lol yours truly) leaves you wanting for more no matter how many you get. XDDD

Friendly Firestarter

12,850 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Survivor 150
  • Brandisher 100
Kuyusi
Yun San

Which IMO, isn't entirely unhealthy. rofl

Winning really isn't everything though, it can be a toss-up sometimes and I've seen a few wild cards here and there showing up. Ultimately if you're obsessed with votes and ranking, you're not going to enjoy yourself. Though being obsessed with comments (lol yours truly) leaves you wanting for more no matter how many you get. XDDD

i would love to receive more comments on my entries but im lucky if i get more than a few comments

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff