Welcome to Gaia! ::

The difference may come a bit from the physicalities of the Japanese...

You ever notice how rediculously TALL anime characters can tend to be??? They are all slender over there, and that doesn't bother them, so it stays that way generally in anime, but they have complexes about their hieght, since they tend to be shorter people than in many other cultures... I think that is THEIR compensation, whereas here it's a masculinity thing.... So, the guys in American animation end up looking like they are on WAY too many steroids, and the ones in Japanese animation look like they are seven feet tall.

This is just a theory, but I think it makes sense...
Slender, besides, the slender guys always beat the really muscular ones! blaugh
Sometimes, I don't mind a muscular bishonen as if from Fist of the North Star, because I would enjoy the feeling of being cared for and protected by a muscular guy, for example Batou from Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. However, I have a soft spot for slender girl-like Bishonen ie. Himura Kenshin, Jean from Samurai Champloo, and Shuichi Minamino/Yoko Kurama from Yu Yu Hakusho. Among many others sweatdrop
i prefer slender guys usually, but bulky is ok sometimes.

Chatty Shapeshifter

11,400 Points
  • Loiterer 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Beta Gaian 0
I never did like big guys, even before I got into anime. sweatdrop So, I really do still prefer the slender boys from anime.
i think that slender boys are sexier for some reason. sweatdrop

Tipsy Cutie-Pie

8,625 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Thread Flip 150
tsukasa_is_mine
Slender guys... there hot^^ i hate muscular guys! there so ugly -_-

I totally agree, big muscly dudes are just gross. But there is something about a skinnier dude that's just soooo cute!
slender= real heart
musclar=drug users
I prefer slender. I don't want to see incredibly muscle-bound characters on every character. There are only some exceptions like Armstrong.
I like slender because not all people - characters or reality- are crazy body-builders. Its more natural.
Saiyan Prince Vegita
TT_Dragon
Saiyan Prince Vegita
*Destroys your theory* Dragonball Z, Fist of the North Star, Street Fighter II . . .

Conversely: Futurama, Baby Blues, Clerks . . . .
As I stated in my first post stare That Japanese animation doesn't consist ENTIRELY of skinny boys. Gee whiz people, I think I'll go edit my post. I'm becoming convinced that people don't bother reading everything that's posted before replying.

Oh, and if you didn't know Saiyan Prince Vegita I think DBZ sucks xp
I swore the animators got paid by the minute of how much they can prolong an animated fight sequence. They somehow managed to turn a 30 second fight into a 5 episode long toture of one's sanity.

But Fist of North Star and Street Fighter are tolerable biggrin And Ninja Scroll was pretty good IMHO.
What you like somehow negates my point? And it doesn't matter if you didn't mean every series. There are enough works on both sides to disprove the stereotypess that you seem to subscribe to.

The fact that you don't like DBZ doesn't disprove the fact that Akira Toriyama used, as its staple, excessively muscled examples for the majority of the male characters, and even went so far as to find ways to extend the musculature even further via super saiyan.

The idea that the only kind of American cartoons involve muscled up superheroes is laughable to say the least. And many of those that DO involve superheroes don't use proportions that exceed typical standards (Static Shock, Teen Titans, Krypto come to mind right off the bat).
I kid, I kid blaugh . No, what got me was, it sound initially as if you completely ignored my first post. From the first post, I did point out that it's not always true that Japanese animation lack any big muscular guys. So I already KNEW that I was generalizing and stereotyping. And I only threw in that DBZ comment just to see how you would react mrgreen And you did wink . You just decided to quickly state '*Destroys your theory*' When I already know that these examples existed. But I guess it was more important or necessary for you to point out the obvious in your attempt to appear superior. There is also the other part of the theory about not having any feminine guys in American Animation. Well, not ones probably popular or portrayed in a good light. You know of any?

But you're right about the newer, North American drawn cartoons. I've watched and enjoyed Static Shock and Teen Titans. And Teen Titans definitely borrows some anime-flare to it (especially with the character expressions). But I guess it's more realistic that a teenager isn't some big hulking brute. That'd worry me if they were otherwise.

Anyways, I've already did edit my 1st post, even before your 2nd reply. And I stated that people have made their points (including you) and I agree with them. Just don't be such a smartass/elitiest about it, O.K.? It probably would've been better if I asked what body type do people like on their animated guys and not have based it on any kind of origin.

-Have a nice day!
slender!!!!!!!! whee
to many Muscles on a guys or anyone is kinda sick(not in the good way)
slender is better cause its almost more real then with the muscles , i know some people have alot of muscles but its more rwal like with slender 3nodding
The slender dosen't have bulk musle. I go for the slinder, its more eficent. (anyway the bulk is ugly.) I'd just like to note that the bulk of the japaness is even more slender overall.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff